Will my part-time job help me getting into a grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookiehahax3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am currently working under a general dentist as a part time dental assistant.

Well I've been working there for 2 years now, and I wanted to try having different jobs.

So now i think i wanna go for doing eyelashes for people. :D

And well i'm just wondering..

Since eyelash extension kind of involves looking at tiny things and adjusting things with my hands,
will that kind of help me when I apply to dental schools?

Or should i just stay at the dental office...

Members don't see this ad.

umm... I doubt it will have a significant (if any) effect on your application. Just do the one that pays you more money.

Wat. No way will doing eyelash extensions make you more competitive for a doctoral degree... there's no need to continue a relevant position beyond two years if you feel like you've learned all you can, but... no.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

I am currently working under a general dentist as a part time dental assistant.

Well I've been working there for 2 years now, and I wanted to try having different jobs.

So now i think i wanna go for doing eyelashes for people. :D

And well i'm just wondering..

Since eyelash extension kind of involves looking at tiny things and adjusting things with my hands,
will that kind of help me when I apply to dental schools?

Or should i just stay at the dental office...
there're girls in my class who put that as an activity involving dexterity. usually this part of the application almost doesn't matter compared to your gpa and dat. so no, it won't help you get into dental school because the problem isn't that people can't handle the hand skills part of dentistry. the problem is that the people who have to repeat a year or drop out haven't developed the right study habits or discipline. you prove that you have the right study habits and discipline with your gpa and dat. most of the things that people put on their application about activities involving dexterity won't help them in the clinic so this part of your application shouldn't be as important or at least it shouldn't be so important that you would need to ask SDN.

Last edited:
Wow, thank you everyone for your posts. :)

I was hoping that it could possibly help me in the long run..but
I guess i'll just have to work harder to bring up my GPA. haha.

Have a great day!