Will my recommendation letter mess me up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... So being a dentist is my dream and I've applied to 15 schools including my one state school. I'm getting a little worried about something one of my evaluators wrote in my recommendation letter.

I told him I'd like to live in a rural place when I practice dentistry, and he told me that he wrote in my letter that I'd like to settle in a rural place in my home state.

Will that negatively affect other schools looking at my application? What if they think "oh well he's planning on returning to his home state after graduating so why would we accept him"

If that's seriously something they'll think, I'm gonna get so depressed haha. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it will effect you in any way. Also, I doubt admissions have time to carefully look over every single letter.. They may not even notice that part! Lol but even if they do, it's such a small detail, there's no way it'll hurt you! I wouldn't worry about it

he's planning on returning to his home state after graduating

Pretty sure that's what everyone is planning. A lot of things can change over the course of 4 years and the power of financial independence.

If the letter is positive you're good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanting to practice in a rural area anywhere is a good thing with most dental schools, if it is sincere. If you grew up in a town of 1,000,000 people and went to college in a town of 2,000,000 they might doubt your sincerity, but if you grew up in small towns, went to small schools it will make sense to them and not be an issue at all probably.

Oh thank god... I was under the impression other schools wanted their students to stay in their states afterwards and that I'd kinda be going against that, but it's a relief to hear what you all are saying. Thanks guys!