Will my undergrad GPA hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MY2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get into med school and still need to take the MCAT plus the prerequisites. However, I have a low undergrad GPA of 3.48 in political science (due to an endless amount of health issues when I was a bit younger). I'm finishing up my Masters in Public Policy and Administration in December 2015 and would like to go to med school after that. However, I'm worried about investing in the prerequisites if I have no chance of getting into med school with my undergrad and post-bacc gpas. Some insight would be of great help!

Members don't see this ad.

whoever told you 3.48, before prereqs, was too low to get into med school, stop listening to whoever that was. your postbac and that 3.48 will get averaged into one cumulative overall number, which sits next to your cumulative science number. which could be a 4.0 or similar.

If you do well in the prereqs you are in range. "well" means 3.7+. the prereqs will likely be much more challenging than any coursework you've taken before. prioritize accordingly.

best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Your GPA is < avg for MD (the median GPA for MD schools is 3.7), but fine for DO. However, you're not dead. Doing well in the sciences and having a good MCAT will make up for the cGPA.

I want to get into med school and still need to take the MCAT plus the prerequisites. However, I have a low undergrad GPA of 3.48 in political science (due to an endless amount of health issues when I was a bit younger). I'm finishing up my Masters in Public Policy and Administration in December 2015 and would like to go to med school after that. However, I'm worried about investing in the prerequisites if I have no chance of getting into med school with my undergrad and post-bacc gpas. Some insight would be of great help!

Reactions: 1 user