Will non-science majors struggle through preclinical years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

I am/was a psychology major who took only the bare minimum science classes (prereqs only) and received A's in most of those classes.
Will me (or other non-science majors) start off with a disadvantage when we enter medical school?
I will start med school this coming September and want to know whether it would be wise of me to take any science classes next semester or if I can just take other classes I am interested in, like theater, etc.
I have good study habits, and will be motivated in medical school, but would a non-science major have a tough time through the 1st 2 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am/was a psychology major who took only the bare minimum science classes (prereqs only) and received A's in most of those classes.
Will me (or other non-science majors) start off with a disadvantage when we enter medical school?
I will start med school this coming September and want to know whether it would be wise of me to take any science classes next semester or if I can just take other classes I am interested in, like theater, etc.
I have good study habits, and will be motivated in medical school, but would a non-science major have a tough time through the 1st 2 years?
Same answer as the however many other times you've asked this - no your major won't make any difference, your individual study/academic skills will.

No.

The background a science major has in a subject, let's say genetics, usually gets covered in the first couple days of the course in med school. Pre-clinical is a lot more clinically oriented than the basic science classes in undergrad. Yeah the people who took it in undergrad have seen the basics before, but it's not like they're going to breeze through it and leave others struggling. It's hard for everyone.

Another example, I was a neuroscience major in undergrad. Took neuroanatomy, an entire course on synaptic transmission, neurophys, etc...so when those topics came up in neuro in med school, I already had a good base of knowledge of anatomy and the basics of transmission. But the majority of neuro in med school is the pathology, which I had no knowledge of. I ended up doing just as well in neuro compared to my class as I did in my other courses, it wasn't a leg up grade-wise even though the beginning of the course was a bit easier for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have been admitted to a medical school, the Adcoms at that school feel that you can handle their curriculum. Otherwise, the hoop jumping contest known as med school admissions would be completely meaningless.

They tend to struggle a bit longer than the typical Biol major in order to find the right study habits, but otherwise they end up doing fine.

I have four wonderful, brilliant clinical colleagues who were English, English Lit and Drama majors.