Will not marking a crap ecology class BPCM delay me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pageantry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is neurotic, but I really don't want to mark a class BPCM. It was my only required "science" class at a very anti-science school which I shortly left and is now defunct. I got a very earned, very sarcastic B, and I'd just as soon not count it. I'd go to the mat that that wasn't science. My final project was a series of (very lovely, thank you) graphite drawings of forest flowers.

I'm worried if I don't count it, though, the word "ecology" will cause my application to be delayed for a review. Better to take the hit to my sGPA or to be delayed (3.7 --> 3.65)? Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, this is neurotic, but I really don't want to mark a class (let's call it "Ecology of the Bible Belt") BPCM. It was my only required "science" class at a very anti-science school which I shortly left and is now defunct. I got a very earned, very sarcastic B, and I'd just as soon not count it. I'd go to the mat that that wasn't science. My final project was a series of (very lovely, thank you) graphite drawings of forest flowers.

I'm worried if I don't count it, though, the word "ecology" will cause my application to be delayed for a review. Better to take the hit to my sGPA or to be delayed (3.7 --> 3.65)? Anyone know?
No experience with this at all, but you could try to preempt the review delay by contacting AMCAS slightly ahead of submission and giving them a syllabus/other evidence that it isn't science?

Hm, good idea. I don't have a syllabus anymore but maybe the school's status will be a viable reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I recall correctly, AMCAS will correct up to 10 of your courses on your transcript, whether its the class type, year, designation etc. before sending your application back to you for fixing.

I’m pretty sure that even if you don’t mark it as a science class it will be changed to one during the review process (assuming it has a science code and/or title, for example BIO 385). Either way I’d call them and ask.

They 100% change classes to what fits AMCAS standards, as long as no huge errors it shouldn't delay much just apply early to make sure it isn't late

Okay I just called them up, they confirmed what @PantherPride said: they'll just go ahead and "fix" up to ten minor issues in your transcripts for you before they would have to send it back. They recommend just classifying your courses according to your best guess.

They also referred me to their application guide, which mentions the option of putting in an Academic Change Request after verification. So I guess there's an option if a person wants to argue something like this after GPAs have been calculated.

Thanks, everyone.