Will NPs Replace GPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoctoralawyer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone read this week’s NYTimes article regarding NPs being licensed to practice independently in more and more states?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/26/h...rs-stark-view-of-nursing-autonomy-debate.html

As someone that wants to go to medical school to eventually practice family medicine or internal medicine as a general practitioner (I know that people change their minds in school), I’m wondering how this trend could affect general practice medicine over the long term.

Do you think that over the next 15-30 years nurses might replace doctors almost entirely for general practice? I mean, if nurses with much more affordable and easier to obtain degrees are licensed to do literally exactly the same things as doctors, what does that say about the economics of practicing medicine as a primary care doctor? How would any prospective students justify going to medical school to become general practitioners given the financial cost as well as the huge expenditure in time and effort? Could this spell the beginning of the end of general practice medical doctors?

My question is not so much whether allowing NPs to do the same things as doctors is a good idea for quality of care — I know I can get lots of opinions on the “are doctors better than nurses” debate. The question is more what you think this means for the profession over the long term.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in family practice and while I think we'll continue to see an ever-increasing amount of autonomy among NPs and PAs, I highly doubt mid-level providers will ever completely replace family/general practice physicians.

One, there will always be a portion of the population who will want their primary care provider to be a physician, even if a NP/PA is entirely capable of diagnosing/remedying common ailments. Two, I think that family physicians are often the "front line" of medicine, in that they need to have the expertise to diagnose major medical problems in the course of routine physicals, etc. These things may slip past a NP/PA with less medical training.

I'm one who doesn't mind NPs and PAs having the right to see patients "on their own" and I have several physician friends who find their NPs and PAs to be vital parts of their practice; often handling minor cases -- taking the load off of them so they can focus on patients with more-serious conditions.

Lastly, to touch on another talking point, I think mid-level providers are also great in that they can fill the shortage of physicians in rural areas.

Last edited:
Edit: my understanding on this topic is out of date. Kindly refer to other sources for better info.

In the very very few locales where NPs are allowed to practice independently, the critical detail is that an exception is being granted for that locale, out of desperation, to loosen the requirement that NPs have to have a medical authority sign off on their work (directly or virtually).

Try to find a county or town where there are doctors doing primary care, where NPs are licensed to practice independently. You might find one or two.

Then try to find a county or town where US-trained doctors practice primary care, that allows NP independence.

You won't find any.

NPs are being licensed to practice independently in locales where doctors aren't willing to go. If you're a US MD who wants to practice in a town that has a hard time recruiting doctors, you're not going to be competing with an NP for that job. You might be begging for an NP to carry some of the load. And you'll be the medical authority vouching for that NP. Which is what's required in locales that aren't absolutely desperate for primary care providers.

I strongly recommend finding a family doc in private practice or a senior family doc working for a hospital-owned group, preferably one who has NPs working for him/her, and spend a bunch of time learning about practice models, reimbursement, and trends. If you have no prior experience in how businesses are run, you have to wrap your brain around business and operations basics first.

And as you're looking at a primary care career, consider whether you want to be the medical authority in charge of other docs and NPs and PAs and RNs, or if you want to defer to somebody else to be in charge. You'll be surprised how many med students don't see that coming.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Given the choice between an NP and a physician, people will choose a physician. Most people see NPs because they have no other choice. The copay is the same for them either way, so why see an inferior provider?

There is zero chance of you being an unemployed FP in the future, don't worry.

This is an excellent question.

Here's what I think:

Obviously, the clinician market will be more crowded. The smaller cheaper training models--midlevels--will continue to experience tremendous growth. The physician models--equivalent to an apex predator species in ecology--will suffer greatly. The financial picture of physician training will continue to look more bleak. The cost of attendance will be more and more difficult to make work for nonscholarship or nontrustfund trainees.

Look at your traditional American grocery store as an example of this process. These stores are filled with high calorie, low nutrient density foods that are enormously cheap per calorie to obtain. These food products are powered by highly centralized organized delivery and manufacturing systems in the same way that powerful economic interests are driving the expansion of midlevel training systems in healthcare. They make for cheaper employees in the same way that corn syrup is cheap customer serving (highly addictive) food product.

NP's in particular harness the corporate customer satisfaction models in their training and are the first to point out those results as proof positve of high quality product.

So I think the physician herd will thin.

And then....after a the clinical market is flooded with them, a consumer counter culture will renew interest in traditional medical training. So that our future, I believe, is small batch, handmade, Brooklyn type marketing, and all those buzz words that signify excellence over cheap price point. Possibly also accompanied by a medical consumer counterculture that eschews its on own manipulation by superficial satisfaction. A yoga of medical consumption if you will.

In the meantime to maintain our art we may have to cater to clients with means. And I mean that to be assaultive to premed/nursing ethic in the same way I mean for the word "midlevel" to have the same effect.

Last edited:
Given the choice between an NP and a physician, people will choose a physician. Most people see NPs because they have no other choice.
Sometimes true, sometimes not. NPs can frequently spend more time with a patient than a doc can, which patients like. They like it a lot.

Good NPs (there are lots of good NPs, they're not all doctor-hating resentful posers) will immediately reach out to their medical director (a doc) to discuss any disturbing or confusing findings.

Anybody who is not clear on the NP practice model...should spend some time with NPs. Expect to have some NP preceptors during your 3rd year.

Reactions: 1 users
Sometimes true, sometimes not. NPs can frequently spend more time with a patient than a doc can, which patients like. They like it a lot.

Good NPs (there are lots of good NPs, they're not all doctor-hating resentful posers) will immediately reach out to their medical director (a doc) to discuss any disturbing or confusing findings.

Anybody who is not clear on the NP practice model...should spend some time with NPs. Expect to have some NP preceptors during your 3rd year.
I'm just going by how things are around here. Most primary care practices use physicians and NPs completely interchangeably, with the same expectations for encounter time, productivity, and schedule. It might be very different elsewhere or at an independent practice, but nearly every private practice in my area has folded into one of the large PCP networks.

And I really hope I don't have any NP preceptors. I'm paying to be educated by other physicians. Working with NPs and learning from them is fine, but as my actual preceptor- that's just inappropriate in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just going by how things are around here. Most primary care practices use physicians and NPs completely interchangeably, with the same expectations for encounter time, productivity, and schedule. It might be very different elsewhere or at an independent practice, but nearly every private practice in my area has folded into one of the large PCP networks.
This is an enormous country with enormous regional variance.
And I really hope I don't have any NP preceptors. I'm paying to be educated by other physicians. Working with NPs and learning from them is fine, but as my actual preceptor- that's just inappropriate in my opinion.
You can exercise your hard-earned vote on medical education after you are board certified and on faculty.

You don't get to custom fit your 3rd year. Preceptors don't schedule their clinical hours around you. You're going to have 3rd year preceptors who really don't want you around, or are on vacation when you show up, or don't want you talking to their patients or doing more than taking vitals. Any preceptor that will actually take time to teach you and let you do stuff is a good preceptor. It takes a whole lot more energy to object to being taught by an NP than it does to try to learn something from an NP.

Reactions: 2 users
This is an enormous country with enormous regional variance.

You can exercise your hard-earned vote on medical education after you are board certified and on faculty.

You don't get to custom fit your 3rd year. Preceptors don't schedule their clinical hours around you. You're going to have 3rd year preceptors who really don't want you around, or are on vacation when you show up, or don't want you talking to their patients or doing more than taking vitals. Any preceptor that will actually take time to teach you and let you do stuff is a good preceptor. It takes a whole lot more energy to object to being taught by an NP than it does to try to learn something from an NP.
But if your preceptor is what determines how well you are performing as a medical student, and yet they have no idea how a 3rd year student should be functioning on account of having never been a medical student themselves, how the hell can they fairly grade you?

I second this. With the amount charged for tuition I damn well expect and have every right to expect physician preceptors.

Evals are another thing entirely.

Thing one: getting good clinical training so you don't suck in a clinical environment, including relevant, timely, actionable feedback.

Thing two: getting good evals so you can get good grades. Brace yourself for surprises and passive aggression. And apathy.

We've hijacked this thread, but since we're on the subject, the myth of 3rd year is a good thing to go over. I rigorously pursued a strong understanding of what 3rd year is like, throughout 1st and 2nd year. It was supposed to be where our nontrad experience and work ethic starts paying off. It was supposed to be where we nontrads could have meaningful, lengthy and lasting interactions with experienced physicians whose judgment of us we'd welcome. It was supposed to be a hands-on learning experience that we could actually enjoy vs. nonstop book learning.

LOL!

Actual 3rd year experience:
- the one guy who actually knows the answers to all the pimp questions because he pre-studied after taking Step 1 is the one getting honors
- you're an actor playing a doctor trying to win an Oscar from people who saw this movie 400 times already and played the role themselves for years and usually think they're Oscar winners
- on very rare occasion you can perform a task that actually contributes to patient care, such as carrying an object from one place to another
- on some occasions your patient interaction and charting is supportive of the intern or attending's work, but usually it's entirely redundant to what they HAVE to do
- some residents won't care how hard you work on patient interviews and chart notes, they're not going to use your work or even particularly care about it
- shelf exam scores dominate your grade. Whole lotta book learnin'.
- you'll mostly have pissed off exhausted residents supervising you
- in July and August you'll mostly have very frustrated and confused fresh interns supervising you
- a "lengthy" interaction with an experienced attending physician is one where you have time to (a) learn what they want from you by not doing what they want from you, (b) do what they want from you, and (c) be observed by the same attending who is actually noticing whether you are reacting to their instructions and absorbing new information appropriately. Hopefully lots of med schools do better than my low tier US MD school, but here it's normal to have no more than 1 day with any given attending. Good effing luck getting an eval out of that. Over the last 11 months I had exactly one experience with an attending that lasted more than 4 days.
- you're at the mercy of the clerkship coordinator, not a physician, for a whole lot of details that determine the quality of your experience
- if you don't know this yet, what frequently happens when you ask a question during third year is "do a 5 minute presentation on that topic tomorrow morning". Gets easy over time.

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome to be inside the system, and as the year goes on and I get more clueful it gets REALLY satisfying to run a patient encounter and know what to do. There are more good days than bad after the halfway point.

But to sum up on the NP-as-preceptor issue, I'm talking about having an NP for one day instead of having a doc for that one day. Maybe once or twice per 6-8 wk rotation. It'll be a lot more interesting and educational than the 6-8 didactics days you'll sit through on each rotation. Choose better things to be righteously indignant about.

Reactions: 3 users

I would not mind having an NP or PA. A lot of them have more experience than physicians. That goes for a lot of nurses too.

And I'm pretty sure the NP/PA practicing independently is a stopgap in rural/underserved settings where there is desperate need for PCPs.

I would not mind having an NP or PA. A lot of them have more experience than physicians. That goes for a lot of nurses too.

And I'm pretty sure the NP/PA practicing independently is a stopgap in rural/underserved settings where there is desperate need for PCPs.
I've got no problem with their skills or whatever. It is more about their inability to properly assess medical students care of their lack of a medical education.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got no problem with their skills or whatever. It is more about their inability to properly assess medical students care of their lack of a medical education.
You're overestimating the ability and willingness of the average resident or attending physician to "properly assess" you, you're overestimating the complexity of the average patient, and you're overestimating the quantity and quality of evaluations you'll get.

NOBODY IS SAYING that ONLY NPs or MOSTLY NPs will train you, which is the next logical assertion here on SDN. And NOBODY IS SAYING that the sum total of NP training is equivalent to med ed. And NOBODY IS SAYING that an NP is fully capable to replace an attending physician. And NOBODY IS SAYING that an NP is the best person to teach you about complex pathology, which NOBODY will actually make you endure.

- the one guy who actually knows the answers to all the pimp questions because he pre-studied after taking Step 1 is the one getting honors
- you're an actor playing a doctor trying to win an Oscar from people who saw this movie 400 times already and played the role themselves for years and usually think they're Oscar winners
- on very rare occasion you can perform a task that actually contributes to patient care, such as carrying an object from one place to another
- on some occasions your patient interaction and charting is supportive of the intern or attending's work, but usually it's entirely redundant to what they HAVE to do
- some residents won't care how hard you work on patient interviews and chart notes, they're not going to use your work or even particularly care about it
- in July and August you'll mostly have very frustrated and confused fresh interns supervising you
- a "lengthy" interaction with an experienced attending physician is one where you have time to (a) learn what they want from you by not doing what they want from you, (b) do what they want from you, and (c) be observed by the same attending who is actually noticing whether you are reacting to their instructions and absorbing new information appropriately. Hopefully lots of med schools do better than my low tier US MD school, but here it's normal to have no more than 1 day with any given attending. Good effing luck getting an eval out of that. Over the last 11 months I had exactly one experience with an attending that lasted more than 4 days.
- you're at the mercy of the clerkship coordinator, not a physician, for a whole lot of details that determine the quality of your experience
- if you don't know this yet, what frequently happens when you ask a question during third year is "do a 5 minute presentation on that topic tomorrow morning". Gets easy over time.

Also:
-once you finally get the system down for a particular rotation and can actually contribute in some small way, you move on to the next rotation where you're completely clueless again (get you some gauze? oh ok... uhh where is it? oh you'll just show me and get it yourself, ok...)

I'll add my experience too: at my school it's highly rotation dependent as to how much exposure to the attending you get. In family medicine I worked all day 1 on 1 with the attending; I'd go in and see the patient, present to the attending, then we'd go back in together. On ob/gyn I hardly saw an attending. On medicine, every day during rounds, then occasional lectures in the afternoon. Surgery, only in the OR. While we work with PAs sometimes, they never evaluate us.

It's not often I have even the slightest disagreement with DrML, but I do in terms of what represents the future and even the status quo of the clinician market. NP's are independent in more areas than just rural ones that have a paucity of clinicians in general. States--the levels at which these laws are passed--are not just one thing, rural or urban. Furthermore, you have to look at growth rates of each profession. They are not bottle necked by having to adhere to highly regulated system of residency training or medical school and therefore can grow as fast as they are able to.

The collision in the work force where our profession and their's starts competing for the same jobs is already taking place. And as states fall to NP legislation efforts this process will escalate and become heated.

The OP is asking an important question. NP's are an existential threat to physician training as it now stands with it's current numbers of graduates. Thinking otherwise is like being a horse and buggie operator laughing at noisy, fragile models of the early automobile.

No.

The idea of "NPs = MDs" seems to cause as much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the pre-allo forum as URM threads!

Disclaimer: I've taught in my subject to the PA students at my school, and I love 'em.

Has anyone read this week’s NYTimes article regarding NPs being licensed to practice independently in more and more states?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/26/h...rs-stark-view-of-nursing-autonomy-debate.html

As someone that wants to go to medical school to eventually practice family medicine or internal medicine as a general practitioner (I know that people change their minds in school), I’m wondering how this trend could affect general practice medicine over the long term.

Do you think that over the next 15-30 years nurses might replace doctors almost entirely for general practice? I mean, if nurses with much more affordable and easier to obtain degrees are licensed to do literally exactly the same things as doctors, what does that say about the economics of practicing medicine as a primary care doctor? How would any prospective students justify going to medical school to become general practitioners given the financial cost as well as the huge expenditure in time and effort? Could this spell the beginning of the end of general practice medical doctors?

My question is not so much whether allowing NPs to do the same things as doctors is a good idea for quality of care — I know I can get lots of opinions on the “are doctors better than nurses” debate. The question is more what you think this means for the profession over the long term.

No.

The idea of "NPs = MDs" seems to cause as much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the pre-allo forum as URM threads!

Disclaimer: I've taught in my subject to the PA students at my school, and I love 'em.

No what? The OP's question was not if they're equal. Glad you have black friends. Care to make a germane point?

The economic predictions involved here are actually very fascinating and also hugely important to consider before undertaking the debt necessary to become a physician.

It's not just a pre-allo sqaubble. Maybe you have to have chips on the table to get it. Idk. But you're triteness as an admin is as endemic as it is frustrating. Nothing against you personally, but your view is as typical as the squabbling you refer to.

Last edited:
This is what I said in another thread like this one. Evals are a separate matter.

I say, be humble and learn from whomever. Now if you have reason to believe that you are being taught "wrong," then you have to take the appropriate steps to make that right for yourself and others. But you better makes sure you are not being reactionary and can look at the thing from all angles or in balance. What you do in one situation with a similar type of patient is not necessarily what you will do for another.

But seriously, if I had questions, I'd bring them to a trusted attending or another reputable and experienced physician--if possible in the specific area of practice--if IM, then go to a reputable IM.

But evals are different things. They belong in the hands of reputable physicians IMHO>

Last edited:
Evals are another thing entirely.

Thing one: getting good clinical training so you don't suck in a clinical environment, including relevant, timely, actionable feedback.

Thing two: getting good evals so you can get good grades. Brace yourself for surprises and passive aggression. And apathy.

We've hijacked this thread, but since we're on the subject, the myth of 3rd year is a good thing to go over. I rigorously pursued a strong understanding of what 3rd year is like, throughout 1st and 2nd year. It was supposed to be where our nontrad experience and work ethic starts paying off. It was supposed to be where we nontrads could have meaningful, lengthy and lasting interactions with experienced physicians whose judgment of us we'd welcome. It was supposed to be a hands-on learning experience that we could actually enjoy vs. nonstop book learning.

LOL!

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome to be inside the system, and as the year goes on and I get more clueful it gets REALLY satisfying to run a patient encounter and know what to do. There are more good days than bad after the halfway point.

But to sum up on the NP-as-preceptor issue, I'm talking about having an NP for one day instead of having a doc for that one day. Maybe once or twice per 6-8 wk rotation. It'll be a lot more interesting and educational than the 6-8 didactics days you'll sit through on each rotation. Choose better things to be righteously indignant about.

I regularly appreciate your absolute candor. Have seen some of what you have shared as an outsider. The part about having usually a day with an attending is disappointing--I am assuming you mean 1-on-1 time. Yea, depending upon how interested and enthused the attending is, well, that's sad.
But in the same token, I have seen, as an outsider, residents and fellows with more attending time. But I guess that is program and attending specific.

"No" as in "answer to:
Will NPs Replace GPs"

I rest my case on the other points.

No what? The OP's question was not if they're equal. Glad you have black friends. Care to make a germane point?

The economic predictions involved here are actually very fascinating and also hugely important to consider before undertaking the debt necessary to become a physician.

It's not just a pre-allo sqaubble. Maybe you have to have chips on the table to get it. Idk. But you're triteness as an admin is as endemic as it is frustrating. Nothing against you personally, but your view is as typical as the squabbling you refer to.

As professionals we should be forbidden to become employees. Or contractors. Or lose touch with one on one professional relationships in favour of call centre type medicine where any provider is interchangeable.

The market pressures are legislation in favour of factorized service and pressuring cheaper and less independent practice.

Old arguments about limited scope and areas of greatest need and even cheaper have all become moot in the current situation. Mlp do not go rural or remote and prefer to not even go primary care. Legislation is the new frontier with lobbyists of payers and providers who stand to benefit. It is advancing.

The concept of what it means to have a profession and decidedly not be an employee is almost dead. The concept of corporate total quality management and policing with the concept of professionalism is on the rise.

OP, the answer to your question is yes. FM as most people glamorize it is already gone as a career option for the majority of physicians (and for the majority of midlevels too). This trend will get worse, not better. We are not ever going back to the days of the generalist practitioner.

My dad was one of the last generation of real GPs. After med school, he did a year of internship, then opened an office and started practicing. In the 1960s and 1970s, he made house calls, had people paying him with eggs and vegetables, delivered babies, performed minor surgeries in his office, worked in the ER, and made rounds at the hospital every morning and evening. When managed care came around in the 1980s, that world was mostly gone. By the time he retired at age 70, he did none of those things any more. He had also stopped vaccinating kids or seeing families at all. He had essentially become an internist and geriatrician (we were living in Florida, but the demographics of the whole country are leaning that way).

He sometimes had med students rotate in the office who were interested in family med, and his advice to them was to go into IM or peds, not FM. This leaves open the option to specialize later, which is much more limited in FM. You are basically doing IM anyway, so you might as well have the options. By the end of his 40+ year career, he regretted not having done a residency to specialize himself when he had the chance.

As for midlevels supervising med students, this is 100% not appropriate. A midlevel filling in to help teach once in an unavoidable emergency is one thing, but if it is happening regularly, I hope DrM and her classmates are complaining to the school.

As professionals we should be forbidden to become employees. Or contractors. Or lose touch with one on one professional relationships in favour of call centre type medicine where any provider is interchangeable.

The market pressures are legislation in favour of factorized service and pressuring cheaper and less independent practice.

Old arguments about limited scope and areas of greatest need and even cheaper have all become moot in the current situation. Mlp do not go rural or remote and prefer to not even go primary care. Legislation is the new frontier with lobbyists of payers and providers who stand to benefit. It is advancing.

The concept of what it means to have a profession and decidedly not be an employee is almost dead. The concept of corporate total quality management and policing with the concept of professionalism is on the rise.
The problem with this is that the current generation of grads wants work-life balance, and rightly so. You can't have it both ways. A real GP doesn't work a 40 hour work-week.

Aight so I'm off to update my knowledge about the NP landscape. Wouldn't lean on SDN to educate myself about contentious socio-politico-economic issues like this any more than I'd lean on SDN to explain "MD vs DO" or the ACA.

Good stuff. Mlp has been shown to not go where there are shortages and generally to chooses against primary care and new wave of legislation is about giving same scope and no need for oversight and same pay ie bill at same rate. This may mean more Mlp go primary care? Don't know. But definitely the Mlp landscape is changing.

Q I have heard that argument about the old school professional. I wonder whether as a profession we lost holding the reigns. If we wanted better work life balance we might have organized amongst ourselves around how to do that in a way that didn't compromise connection, relationship, and a spirit of getting done what needs done with broad competency. I wonder whether market forces offered 'better lifestyle' as part of the trade that unfoetunately threw the baby - relationship, generalism - out with the bathwater. Often docs still considered manipulatable in terms of workong lots of hours and having sense of personal responsibility. We are still yrained to take that on. as a profession we might have developed a way to have better balance along with addressing what we knew to be important like relationship and responsibility. Leaving that trend up to market forces eroded a lot that needn't have been in that trade for more balance and I think that's because docs were mostly not engaged or included in that process. We have become quite disenfranchised

Let's say as a profession we were barred from becoming employees. If there were a trend towards better work life balance it therefore would not be controlled in terms of outcomes and organizational style by employers who use corporate models. It would have been docs organizing to find ways to create better work life balance in the context of being good docs ie responsible focused on relationship etc. Or not. But point being market forces should have no place in changing the practice of medicine. It should be led by those who know Healthcare best....docs as professionals. Except like forceps delivery too many of us wouldn't even have a clue... I'm sure q's dad did a few forceps deliveries in his time as well. I say we wouldn't have a clue because I think of the doc groups who run as businesses ripping off their younger professional colleagues...very ungentlemanly. And organizing coverage like any business. Thinking of the obgyne groups where a patient would not have ever met the person randomly on call. When things could be organized for patients to know all members of a practice.

Given the choice between an NP and a physician, people will choose a physician...

Actually most people don't give a darn. They just want someone in a white coat with a stethoscope to check them out and write them a prescription. CVS and Walmart are making a killing relying on the premise that most patients don't care about the qualifications as much as convenience. And our government has embraced NPs as a cheaper model for healthcare, so expect this to become even more pervasive. Anyone who doesn't think this is going to have an impact on primary care has their head in the sand IMHO.

Actually most people don't give a darn. They just want someone in a white coat with a stethoscope to check them out and write them a prescription. CVS and Walmart are making a killing relying on the premise that most patients don't care about the qualifications as much as convenience. And our government has embraced NPs as a cheaper model for healthcare, so expect this to become even more pervasive. Anyone who doesn't think this is going to have an impact on primary care has their head in the sand IMHO.
For anything of even moderate acuity, everyone I know demands a physician. The data shows that the majority of people feel the same way, even if it is a slim majority in some surveys. There is enough demand, however, that physicians should remain gainfully employed for at least our working lifetimes, regardless of patient preferences.

http://www.beckershospitalreview.co...titioners-there-s-a-survey-to-back-it-up.html

For anything of even moderate acuity, everyone I know demands a physician. The data shows that the majority of people feel the same way, even if it is a slim majority in some surveys. There is enough demand, however, that physicians should remain gainfully employed for at least our working lifetimes, regardless of patient preferences.

http://www.beckershospitalreview.co...titioners-there-s-a-survey-to-back-it-up.html

people you know are not representative -- they know the difference in training. Most of this country doesn't. They don't have doctors in their families. They have no clue what the training differential is -- all they see is the white coat. A lot of the surveys on your link were quite small - eg a survey of 1300 people is truly meaningless from which to extrapolate nationally, but even within that website 60% in one survey said they'd choose an NP today over waiting to see a doctor, which is why the CVS/Walmart business model is working. I'm not saying you won't have a career, I'm just saying this will almost certainly have an impact on the current landscape.

people you know are not representative -- they know the difference in training. Most of this country doesn't. They don't have doctors in their families. They have no clue what the training differential is -- all they see is the white coat. A lot of the surveys on your link were quite small - eg a survey of 1300 people is truly meaningless from which to extrapolate nationally, but even within that website 60% in one survey said they'd choose an NP today over waiting to see a doctor, which is why the CVS/Walmart business model is working. I'm not saying you won't have a career, I'm just saying this will almost certainly have an impact on the current landscape.
I don't have a single friend or relative, aside from the work ones, that have completed graduate school, it comes from a family with a doctor in it anywhere. Hell, of the two in healthcare, one of them is a nurse and the other's an EMT that was contemplating nursing school, so, if anything, I'd expect them to be all for seeing NPs, but that isn't really the case.

Sure, I don't know everyone, but I do have a good feel for how my group of garden-variety, lower-to-middle class friends feel about the issue.

As to the sample size, 1,300 is adequate enough to get you a 3% margin of error at 97% confidence, which is pretty damn acceptable, and that's factoring in a 50% response distribution. There comes a point in statistics where more data just isnt necessary- most of the time, that's roughly 400 people in a population as large as ours if you want 95% confidence and 5% margin of error, which seems nuts, But stats is weird like that, and this survey went waaaay above and beyond that number.

Speaking of which...just came across this from a couple of days ago. Nothing new, same talking points.

Definitely nothing new in the fox segment. Except to corroborate, with an example, that states will continue to fall.

That's an interesting exchange between MJ and L2D. I think what would be more realistic is how people will vote with their feet and wallets. Preferring something isn't that revealing.

People have increasingly crappy insurance despite the ACA and the gamesmanship of denying coverage--particularly for my patients--has become pervasive and expert.

Direct, doc to patient, pay for service model is a serious option for primary care and most definitely for psychiatry. In this model I think we have a huge competitive advantage. Because the barrier to moving with your wallet and feet has already been crossed and then...preferences will matter.

Having a preference and having a choice are two very different things. I'm employed at a huge medical center and I'm insured through them. At this institution I'm assigned to an NP as my primary care provider as are quite a few of my colleagues most of the newer hires here. It seems like they save the docs for the non employee patients. This is the care model they are really pushing here, "care teams" and it sounds all nice and fluffy, but it's just being seen by midlevels or if you're lucky residents, who are supposedly overseen by a doc in an effort to save money not paying for more docs. Not sure how close that supervision is in reality though.

In any case, that's who I'm assigned to, but awhile back I made a choice to pay extra to go out of network and see a physician in the city where I go to grad school. It costs more and it sure as hell isnt convenient, but I at leosst get to work with someone who knows what a neutrophil is (funny story there) and who can come up with a differential. But it's questionable whether or not I can keep doing this.

As for the big question in the original post, well midlevels aren't going away. They have the same preferences as docs for where they want to practice (ie usually not rural primary care). The public feels NPs are nicer and spend more time with them. However, as they gain independence and are more widely used, I think some of that touchy feely fluffiness is going to fade. They are going to be under the same pressure as the docs to see large numbers of patients in less and less time. Then the public is going to get irked and the perceived quality they were getting isn't going to be there. So people who are able to make a choice will start making it. But I think the end result is going to be midlevels continuing to up their numbers in all fields for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I think the movement toward team medicine will mean more emphasis placed on mlps as a cost saver for insurance companies and hospital admins running the "business" of medicine. Management will probably always want a couple of physicians at the top, but there will be limited need. This shift is already under way.

At the other end of the spectrum is direct primary care, which is a great model because it removes the significant extra costs added by insurance (administrative, claims review, advertising, etc.), and could potentially return primary care to what it was be 50 years ago -- good doctors working directly with patients that they get to know well, with little of the time, record-keeping and business-admin pressures that result from the need to accept insurance. It's a win/win -- less cost is squeezed out at the business end so more is available for the patient and the doctor, translating into lower cost to the patient as well as more time for higher quality patient-care. Here too though, if NPs could open their own direct care practices at a lower costs than physicians' (because of the NP's lower cost of education) then that would limit the space for physicians, though I suspect that a highly qualified physician with great patient skills would still be competitive even at a little higher price point than an NP.

Great points made. Hate to say it, but so much will come down to core economics. I do think there are complex patients, not few in number btw, that will need the guidance of an actual, well-trained/educated physician.

As the old saying goes, "You get what you tolerate." How that pans out in the long haul , well. . . .

Great points made. Hate to say it, but so much will come down to core economics. I do think there are complex patients, not few in number btw, that will need the guidance of an actual, well-trained/educated physician.

As the old saying goes, "You get what you tolerate." How that pans out in the long haul , well. . . .

Yes they need guidance of a well trained physician, but they won't always KNOW they need that guidance. I'll give you a for instance. I've gone to the CVS Minute Clinic for simple things like a strep test, because it's quick and convenient, and I didn't want to wait for an appointment with my PCP or to go sit in the ER for an hour. But I'm a doctor and so I wasn't really relying on the NP there to diagnose me -- i already knew I had been exposed to a patient with strep throat and had all the symptoms, I just wanted the confirmatory test and if positive, antibiotics. The dozens of other people I saw signing up in their computerized appointment log may very well have had real pathology, and they were actually relying on the NP working there to get it right. And not only was that NP questionably trained, although very personable, but she has all the incentive in the world to prescribe a Multitude of CVS Prescriptions and products to her patients/customers. It's a huge Conflict of interest, and it's bad medicine. But it's convenient as heck, and to a Huge extent I think that's really what most patients really want -- someone in a White coat who would see them quick, and give them meds that will make them better. It's back to the snake oil salesmen of the turn of the prior century -- there's no ailment that can't be cured by some magic salve. It's also, I suspect, where you go if you see a drug ad on TV and want to try it out without getting bogged down by doctors telling you maybe it's not appropriate. While I'd like to think that the CVS NP knows enough to send people with real pathology to a doctor, I have no good reason to think this is actually the case and I'd be shocked if at least a few people who really needed a good doctor/surgeon didn't get sent home with an armful of CVS products to try first.

But for the 90% of primary care patients who probably would get better on their own over time or with antibiotics, I still think this model pares down the number of patients the primary care doctor gets to see. He loses all the easy office visits where he makes money doing very little. He gets saddled with the complicated patients who fail the easy antibiotics trials at CVS, whose visits tend to be longer and less lucrative. Anyone who thinks -- let the NPs have the easy patients, doctors can take care of the complex ones doesn't understand how reimbursements work. You need to subsidize the complex patients, on whom you dont make money, with the easy ones. If the easy ones get cherry picked away by NPs, you are not going to be able to stay in business.

Based on the excellent job market for FM-trained physicians that I've gleaned from the various physician hiring websites and the reports of recent FM residency grads, I have a hard time seeing FM as a dying field.

I do see NPs and PAs as collaborators that improve access to care. The article in the OP describes one area of need that has not been well met by physicians alone - that of quality care for people in extremely rural locations where there are no practicing MDs. Interesting to note that the NP interviewed is actually offering specialized care - she is a psychiatric nurse offering psychiatric care. So if NP autonomy is a problem, it is not one that is unique to primary care.

OP, I encourage you to spend some time in the FM forum for a current provider and resident-level view of the field and of this issue in particular (there have been several threads on this topic there).

Yes they need guidance of a well trained physician, but they won't always KNOW they need that guidance. I'll give you a for instance. I've gone to the CVS Minute Clinic for simple things like a strep test, because it's quick and convenient, and I didn't want to wait for an appointment with my PCP or to go sit in the ER for an hour. But I'm a doctor and so I wasn't really relying on the NP there to diagnose me -- i already knew I had been exposed to a patient with strep throat and had all the symptoms, I just wanted the confirmatory test and if positive, antibiotics. The dozens of other people I saw signing up in their computerized appointment log may very well have had real pathology, and they were actually relying on the NP working there to get it right. And not only was that NP questionably trained, although very personable, but she has all the incentive in the world to prescribe a Multitude of CVS Prescriptions and products to her patients/customers. It's a huge Conflict of interest, and it's bad medicine. But it's convenient as heck, and to a Huge extent I think that's really what most patients really want -- someone in a White coat who would see them quick, and give them meds that will make them better. It's back to the snake oil salesmen of the turn of the prior century -- there's no ailment that can't be cured by some magic salve. It's also, I suspect, where you go if you see a drug ad on TV and want to try it out without getting bogged down by doctors telling you maybe it's not appropriate. While I'd like to think that the CVS NP knows enough to send people with real pathology to a doctor, I have no good reason to think this is actually the case and I'd be shocked if at least a few people who really needed a good doctor/surgeon didn't get sent home with an armful of CVS products to try first.

But for the 90% of primary care patients who probably would get better on their own over time or with antibiotics, I still think this model pares down the number of patients the primary care doctor gets to see. He loses all the easy office visits where he makes money doing very little. He gets saddled with the complicated patients who fail the easy antibiotics trials at CVS, whose visits tend to be longer and less lucrative. Anyone who thinks -- let the NPs have the easy patients, doctors can take care of the complex ones doesn't understand how reimbursements work. You need to subsidize the complex patients, on whom you dont make money, with the easy ones. If the easy ones get cherry picked away by NPs, you are not going to be able to stay in business.

Law2doc, much respect to you....seriously. I do, however, think that this model will jump up to bite someone in the ass; b/c I doubt if people that want a quick fix for their "easier" problems are really going to give a thorough medical hx? Are the NPs actually gonna insist on taking one. ???? And since they are not really a true, primary care provider, stuff is gonna get missed. I mean geez, for some folks, you can do a quick, once over and pretty much get that they may well be more complex in terms of hx and comorbidities.

Plus, smart people are learning that it's better to be be in a good, reputable system. My example would be say University of Penn medicine. They have worked hard to have systems that share health information, and many of the physicians know each other well. Doesn't mean you can't get another opinion elsewhere. But what it does mean is that when you have a complex patient, w/ a number of comorbid issues, it makes much sense to have a more seamless approach to information sharing and contact. When you run into a problem and don't have this, it is a huge pain--sometimes just as much of a pain as when you want to get a family member transferred out of one system and transferred to another. You have to get a physician that will receive them. It gets so incredibly complicated and stressful. I have been through this 3 times with close relatives. Each time it was beyond time-consuming and stressful, and that was even using any networking/relationship cards with docs. Doing this is so much stickier today than it was in years past.

But you know, these "quickie mart" clinics can do a great disservice in terms of public health; b/c they lack a strong, primary care physician or internist following them or a health network system of support. We shouldn't be encouraging fragmentation of care in order to get more people seen.

One thing the American model of medicine has striven to do, especially in comparison to other health systems, is to go for the highest quality of care/tx. No, that is no always the case, but patients in our healthcare system, in many cases, have the ability to seek out better quality providers and health systems.

I don't buy this whole deal of having something is better than nothing, necessarily. It undermines the very important nature of primary care medicine and providing sound, optimal care to patients over the lifespan.

Some people go into medicine where they don't want to or have to know their patients long. Even I as a nurse years ago got tired and stressed with having the same medical ICU or medical cardiac ICU patients, many of whom would be left in the units languishing way too long. So the I opted to move into Surgical ICU and Open Heart Recovery, and in most of those cases, we stabilized them and moved them on. Then I did this with pediatrics, and moved back into seeing the benefit of helping people in the long term and optimizing care and emphasizing prevention. It's like I came full circle, having realized that while having surgery is often vital, it doesn't really "cure" the patient in many cases. Often the disease processes that were in placed that caused the need for surgery were still present and needed addressing and sound follow-up and prevention whenever possible.

The NPs at these clinics have no real, long-term vested interest in these patients, for the most part, these "mini-mart clinics" are not set up to be like that. And this is going to, as I said, bite someone in the ass. Give it time. We will live to see it.

In the US, patients generally want quality in care. And in primary care, they want someone that knows them and has a vested interest in their wellbeing. Maybe I am some idiot idealist; but that is what I believe and have noted in my years of practice as lowly RN. :)

Even in poor, urban settings this has come through. I can show you community health centers in urban areas that are very successful in meeting the needs of patients, particularly those of a chronic nature, and some of them are actually run by NPs. BUT they know their limits and work well with a strong, university hospital system. The have strong social workers and strong community health educators, etc to assist with their needs and help them to move more seamlessly into an out of the university health system as needed. This is an entirely different model than CVS walk-in clinics. The former meets the needs of the poorer people in the immediate urban setting, who would otherwise neglect their health needs until they got fed up enough to take up space in an ED. The community health center to which I am referring generally has good patient return and follow-up, thus more people get their healthcare needs met on an ongoing basis, and they are well-known by the providers at the center. It's very much based on trust and relationship. The "Quickie Mart" store centers generally are not. There is no real investment in the community.

Last edited:
Law2doc, much respect to you....seriously. I do, however, think that this model will jump up to bite someone in the ass; b/c I doubt if people want a quick fix for their "easier" problems, are they really going to give a thorough medical hx? Are the NPs actually gonna insist on taking one. And since they are not really a true, primary care provider, stuff is gonna get missed. I mean geez, some folks you can do a once over and pretty much get that they may well be more complex in terms of hx and comorbidities. Plus, smart people are learning that it's better to be be in a good, reputable system. My example would be say University of Penn medicine. They have worked hard to have systems that share health information, and many of the physicians know each other well. Doesn't mean you can't get another opinion elsewhere. But what it does mean is that when you have a complex patient, w/ a number of comorbid issues, it makes much sense to have a more seamless approach to information sharing and contact. When you run into a problem and don't have this, it is a huge pain--sometimes just as much of a pain as when you want to get a family member transferred out of one system and transferred to another. You have to get a physician that will receive them. I gets so incredibly complicated and stressful. I have been through this 3 times with close relatives.

But you know, these clinics can do a disservice in terms of public health; b/c the lack of a strong, primary care physician or internist following them. We shouldn't be encouraging fragmentation of care in order to get more people seen. One thing the American model of medicine has strived to do, especially in comparison to other health systems, is to go for the highest quality. No, that is no always the case, but patients in many cases have the ability to seek out better quality providers and health systems. I don't buy this whole deal of something is better than nothing. It undermines the very important nature of primary care medicine and providing sound, optimal care to patients over the lifespan. Some people go into medicine where they don't want to or have to know their patients long. Even I as a nurse years ago got tired and stressed with having the same medical or medical cardiac ICU patients, who would be left in the units languishing way too long. So the I opted to move into Surgical ICU and Open Heart Recovery, and in most of those cases, we stabilized them and moved them on. Then I did this with pediatrics, and moved back into seeing the benefit of helping people in the long term and optimizing care and emphasizing prevention.

The NPs at these clinics have no real, long-term vested interest in these patients, for the most part, it's not set up to be like that. And this is going to, as I said, bite someone in the ass. Give it time. We will live to see it.

In the US, patients generally want quality in care. And in primary care, they want someone that knows them and has a vested interest in their wellbeing. Maybe I am some idiot idealist; but that what I believe.

Even in poor, urban settings this has come through. I can show you community health centers in urban areas that are very successful in meeting the needs of patients, particularly those of a chronic nature, and some of them are actually run by NPs. BUT they know their limits and work well with a strong, university hospital system. The have strong social workers and strong community health educators, etc to assist with their needs and help them to move more seamlessly into an out of the university health system as needed. This is an entirely different model that CVS walk-in clinics. The former meets the needs of the poorer people in the immediate urban setting, who would otherwise neglect their health needs until they got fed up enough to take up space in an ED. This community health center generally has good return and follow-up, thus more people get their healthcare needs met on an ongoing basis, and they are well-known by the providers at the center. It's very much based on trust and relationship. The "Quickie Mart" store centers generally are not. There is no real investment in the community.

I agree with you that it will end up biting us in the ass. I disagree that this isn't giving people exactly what they want or that on average people aren't happy with convenience and perceived quality (ie a person in a white coat) over actual quality/training.

Well, you responded before I finished correcting or adding to my previous post.

Sound community health centers do work. Do they work a 100% of the time? OF course not. Nothing does.
But there are so many folks with chronic issues, and then when they come in for the sniffles--it's now more than the sniffles. It's into their chests, and something that can be simple for generally healthy folks can easily become a big deal for others.

The thing is to get the trust of the community. Even in general private practice this is key.
People may pop in and out of a quickie clinic every once in a while; but overall, people want trusted healthcare providers that know and care about them.
Unless the "Quickie Health Marts" are prepared to make this kind of overall commitment, it's going to be just like them getting a "quickie" somewhere. Most people want something more than a quickie. They want a relationship. ;)

Last edited:
Personally, I wonder how common it is for docs to be forced into the anesthesiology model and be required to supervise midlevels and assume the malpractice risks.
Proliferation of independent NPs is a cheap fix for the government to dole out pseudo-healthcare in the current 2-tiered system. Medicare is unsustainable because it was created at a time when no one could predict that 85 year olds would have access to millions of dollars of cutting edge cancer treatment and end of life care. And 50% of babies are born covered by Medicaid, which is also unsustainable.
Good access to healthcare, like the middle class or a pension, is a historical anomaly undergoing a correction. People with means will keep FM doctors busy, while everyone else goes to whoever they can afford - midwives, NPs, back alley "docs". The unwashed masses get someone in a white coat, while anyone who still has a job with insurance sees a FM doctor. If you're a foreign FM doc with an accent, you might need to compete with American-born NPs who cheerfully hand out Amoxicillin for every sniffle and Xanax for every worry.
However, most NPs are women, who statistically are uninterested in opening private practices. It would be appealing to keep an office open extended hours with independently licensed NPs in the name of customer convenience. The NPs put their license and labor on the line, I give them flexible hours and a non-compete.
Most definitely, I will practice farmers' market, craft microbrewery medicine that caters to the yoga pant wearing crowd, with my fees pegged as a multiple of the local Starbucks venti latte. Anyone not into that are welcome to seek healthcare down the hall from someone who's job title literally means, "suck a boob".

Personally, I wonder how common it is for docs to be forced into the anesthesiology model and be required to supervise midlevels and assume the malpractice risks.
Proliferation of independent NPs is a cheap fix for the government to dole out pseudo-healthcare in the current 2-tiered system. Medicare is unsustainable because it was created at a time when no one could predict that 85 year olds would have access to millions of dollars of cutting edge cancer treatment and end of life care. And 50% of babies are born covered by Medicaid, which is also unsustainable.
Good access to healthcare, like the middle class or a pension, is a historical anomaly undergoing a correction. People with means will keep FM doctors busy, while everyone else goes to whoever they can afford - midwives, NPs, back alley "docs". The unwashed masses get someone in a white coat, while anyone who still has a job with insurance sees a FM doctor. If you're a foreign FM doc with an accent, you might need to compete with American-born NPs who cheerfully hand out Amoxicillin for every sniffle and Xanax for every worry.
However, most NPs are women, who statistically are uninterested in opening private practices. It would be appealing to keep an office open extended hours with independently licensed NPs in the name of customer convenience. The NPs put their license and labor on the line, I give them flexible hours and a non-compete.
Most definitely, I will practice farmers' market, craft microbrewery medicine that caters to the yoga pant wearing crowd, with my fees pegged as a multiple of the local Starbucks venti latte. Anyone not into that are welcome to seek healthcare down the hall from someone who's job title literally means, "suck a boob".

Well, IDK, you didn't read my comparison of sound community health centers to the quickie mart kind of clinics. There is a WORLD of difference. Many is these undeserved communities are better able to get their needs met. One of the ones to which I was referring has physicians on the board, but is run by NPS, and it is a great success for the community. It's also a primary teaching center for the school's medicine, nursing, and health sciences students.
I spent a good amount of time there. People did/do come back. But it took the founding NPs time to build trust in the community. I was impressed with how it was run, and how the people in the community supported it's existence. It's just a whole separate ballgame than seeing a NP In a CVS or Walmart or whatever. This community health center took many years to become an accepted and vital part of the community.

Jeez. Of course "nurse" literally means "nourish" so your epithet is "literally" just dickish.

@Esquire:

“Care of the sick is not new. People have cared for their sick throughout recorded history, and we assume, before that. The term to nurse comes from the Middle English words nurice and norice, which are contractions of nourice, from Old French that was originally derived from Latin nutricia (Klainberg, Holzemer, Leonard, & Arnold, 1998). This term means “a person who nourishes” and often referred to a wet nurse. (A wet nurse is a woman who breastfeeds infants for those who are unable to do so.) (Klainberg, et al., 1998).

…Persons designated to care for the sick—usually men—passed information verbally through the generations. Some of the information we know about these ancient cultures and their forms of health care comes from the work of anthropologists, and some comes from information that has been handed down from generation to generation.

As people’s lives and environments became more developed, irrigation and waste were the first issues related to treating disease. Priests, spiritual guides, or “medicine men” were the healthcare providers for their communities. During these times, the sick became their responsibility (Kalisch & Kalisch, 1978).

…During the Middle Ages, A.D. 500 to 1500, Christianity attempted to bring forth the notion of personal responsibility for self, as well as for others, and this was reflected in the care of the sick. Religious communities established care for the sick poor in hospes, places that could offer nurturance and palliative care and from which the terms hospital and hospice derive (Nutting & Dock, 1935).

From A.D. 50 to 800, these hospes, or hospitals, were usually near a church or a monastery. Men were the caregivers during this time, and women were permitted to be midwives or wet nurses and were considered witches if they attempted to usurp the role of the male health- care provider (Ehrenreich & English, 1973).”

Read further about the above and the influences of Dr. John Snow and Florence Nightingale:

http://samples.jbpub.com/9780763755966/55966_CH02_021_040.pdf

People not understanding the hx of nursing, do not understand that it was the role of priests and males historically. People like Nightingale (who was an incredible statistician in healthcare--and who came from a wealthy family that looked down on her pursuit of nursing) as well as Barton, Seacrove, Nutting, Mahoney, Dock,Wald, and many others, built it into a movement/profession. They were the movers and shakers that had the vision for being a vital part of treating individuals' and communities' needs.

People also do not know that Flexnor's report affected nursing and allied health as well as medicine.

Anyone who has gone through med school knows that a large deal of medicine is an matching an algorithm to the patient. And like L2D, I actually went to a CVS clinic when I didn't want to wait for my doctor. And what I noted is that these clinics set up the algorithms on a computer. The NP/PA will simply ask the questions, click off the requisite boxes and get another screen. In the end, there is a likely dx and an rx. Easy peasy. And honestly as a potential PCP doc myself, I am glad there is another avenue for my prospective patients to go to if it's not during my scheduled hours.

What the HUGE problem I have w/ this, if the movement continues in favor of autonomous mid-levels is when it's NOT the right dx. On the follow up. Should the patient not improve. Here physician acumen is why we are in school much longer. You can't have a mid-level just ticking boxes. I actually know someone who had a sinus problem, got a similar dx again. And finally went to a doctor and got the RIGHT dx.

People aren't textbooks all the time. But when they are, go ahead! Go to the clinic. But there are often complications, or when it quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, walks like a duck and it's actually aspergillus.

All we can do is wait tho.

Anyone who has gone through med school knows that a large deal of medicine is an matching an algorithm to the patient. And like L2D, I actually went to a CVS clinic when I didn't want to wait for my doctor. And what I noted is that these clinics set up the algorithms on a computer. The NP/PA will simply ask the questions, click off the requisite boxes and get another screen. In the end, there is a likely dx and an rx. Easy peasy. And honestly as a potential PCP doc myself, I am glad there is another avenue for my prospective patients to go to if it's not during my scheduled hours.

What the HUGE problem I have w/ this, if the movement continues in favor of autonomous mid-levels is when it's NOT the right dx. On the follow up. Should the patient not improve. Here physician acumen is why we are in school much longer. You can't have a mid-level just ticking boxes. I actually know someone who had a sinus problem, got a similar dx again. And finally went to a doctor and got the RIGHT dx.

People aren't textbooks all the time. But when they are, go ahead! Go to the clinic. But there are often complications, or when it quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, walks like a duck and it's actually aspergillus.

All we can do is wait tho.

Totally and absolutely true. I will say that I know NPs that aren't merely ticking off algorithms; however, they aren't working in CVS or store clinics either. So . . .

But what you said about physician acumen as well as patients not being textbook--so totally dead on correct!!

This is just anecdotal. But, everyone I know that doesn't know about medical training is DEFINITELY too scared to see anyone that is not a physician, even for minor ailments. And some of those people won't even see a doctor unless they are board certified. So, I agree here. Doctors will have plenty of work to go around.