Will Optometry still be an economically viable option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlove4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in optometry, but some of the predictions for the future's profession on here are quite terrifying. I can't image going through professional school just to fight for part time jobs. I know nothing in life is guaranteed but with the price of tuition I need some assurances I would be making the right choice going into this profession.

My main question: is optometry still an economically viable option for one who is a middle class sole breadwinner? I want to know if, after accumulating the enormous amount of student debt, will I have a full time position that will allow me to pay back these loans and provide for a family of four. Lets say I attend one of the private schools, with no assistance from family, and need to take out living expenses for a spouse and child, this would mean putting myself in deep debt. I am willing to live almost anywhere in the country (prefer medium to small rural towns). I am more interested in vision therapy and the medical aspects of optometry, but a job is a job and I'm open to any kind of commercial optometry so long as I could live comfortably off it. Will this even be possible in the coming years?

I know this issue has been brought up in the past, but i couldn't find anything recent that addresses open to taking any location/practice. Also, are there other resources to find out what the future of the profession really looks like? The schools give very encouraging (and to some misleading) statistics on salary, demand growth, etc. and the optometrists I've shadowed/contacted have provided limited advice (i.e. "if you work hard, great things are possible in this field"). I take the advice on sdn seriously, and am confused why, after scouring the internet for sources, it is one of the only sites that paints a dark picture for future optometry grads.
Thank you for your insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I am very interested in optometry, but some of the predictions for the future's profession on here are quite terrifying. I can't image going through professional school just to fight for part time jobs. I know nothing in life is guaranteed but with the price of tuition I need some assurances I would be making the right choice going into this profession.

My main question: is optometry still an economically viable option for one who is a middle class sole breadwinner? I want to know if, after accumulating the enormous amount of student debt, will I have a full time position that will allow me to pay back these loans and provide for a family of four. Lets say I attend one of the private schools, with no assistance from family, and need to take out living expenses for a spouse and child, this would mean putting myself in deep debt. I am willing to live almost anywhere in the country (prefer medium to small rural towns). I am more interested in vision therapy and the medical aspects of optometry, but a job is a job and I'm open to any kind of commercial optometry so long as I could live comfortably off it. Will this even be possible in the coming years?

drlove4,

Your question can not be answered by anyone. We don't have a crystal ball to look into the future and give you a precise answer. Even if we did, that answer would be coming from demonic sources that I wouldn't accept for an answer- sarcasm but the truth.
If you graduate with minimal to no student debt then you 'll be able to pay your bills and live a comfortable life. You'll never become wealthy as an employed optometrist no matter what mode of practice you are working in. Ask around, talk to many optometrist both in private and commercial practice. Ask them if their salaries have significantly increased over the past 5-6 years. I guarantee you the majority if not all will tell you their salary has been stagnant (no pay increase) and in some cases; it has actually decreased. Making more money you'll have to do what many ODs are doing nowadays and that is medical billing-codes and medical optometry.
If you are interested more in medical optometry then apply to med school and get into an ophth residency. Either that or after graduation, work for a mutli OMD group and you'll get paid little more than your average OD salary.

I've stated in previous post the return of an OD degree is not up to par with what we should be getting paid. We are not as marketable as we once were. There are too many of us out there and with new schools that have opened up many ODs are graduating each year.

Go talk to practicing ODs in different settings and ask them whatever you like. We are personable and the majority of us are honest with what we have to say.
Optometry is a wonderful field. As long as you don't graduate with over 200K in debt or else you'll be facing an uphill battle.

Good Luck !

I know this issue has been brought up in the past, but i couldn't find anything recent that addresses open to taking any location/practice. Also, are there other resources to find out what the future of the profession really looks like? The schools give very encouraging (and to some misleading) statistics on salary, demand growth, etc. and the optometrists I've shadowed/contacted have provided limited advice (i.e. "if you work hard, great things are possible in this field"). I take the advice on sdn seriously, and am confused why, after scouring the internet for sources, it is one of the only sites that paints a dark picture for future optometry grads.
Thank you for your insight!

Optometry is economically viable but you have to be careful with how much debt load you take on. The starting salary for an optometrist fresh out of school can range from below $80,000 to slightly above 6 figures, depending on the location. In general, I would tell you that your total debt load should not exceed twice your starting salary. If your starting salary is $100,000 I would not be in debt more than $200,000 when you graduate. Otherwise, it's just going to be a huge boat anchor around your neck.