Other OT-Related Information Will OT be replaced by recreational therapists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since they do similar work but their pay isn't as high nor is their education level.

Members don't see this ad.

I started looking it up ad what I found was that OT's and PT's usually have to focus on one task while recreational therapists have a "wider scope." A lot of what I read about rec. therapists consisted of outdoor activities. Reminded me more of counseling.
However, I really couldn't find a difference between OT and recreational therapists.

I wouldn't say so..I am a rehab tech. and work with PT's and they said that recreational therapy is a dying field and recommend not to go into it

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't say so..I am a rehab tech. and work with PT's and they said that recreational therapy is a dying field and recommend not to go into it

So what is the difference between recreation therapy and occupational therapy?

No. Also, OTs will not replace rec therapists. There is some overlap, but they are two different respected fields.

Last edited:
Licensing is a big problem for RT's. Another big difference is that RT's aren't doing evals (or aren't supposed to do evals), which brings in money for the facility. Also, RT's scope of practice is ambiguous...it's so broad, they can technically even spill over into a doctor's territory. Obviously, facilities won't let that happen, and in many places, the same goes for OT.

I think that the facility has a lot of pull in how RT's function in a setting. I have worked with RT's in a very collaborative and helpful way. I've also heard of settings where RT's are given more of a role because they're cheaper. However, the OT is still necessary, because in those settings, RT's can't do things that bring in money (like evals).

There was a bill in in congress in 2007 to have Medicare cover RT services. It was never enacted.

No reimbursement, no need for services.

Only RT I know is a classmate. The role is inclusive with his role as an OT aide. He said there is not much demand for RT services.

There is no way that RT will take over OT. It is more likely for OT to take over RT services even though that wont happen.

Yikes. For those who do not see a difference in what OTs and RTs do, I highly recommend you complete more (or start, if you haven't yet already) observation hours to get a better understanding of what OT is about or find a better facility/mentor to observe. They are not at all alike.

It may look alike at moments from a superficial stand point. Here's an example.

An RT engages a TBI patient (who previously enjoyed playing cards) in a game of go fish so that they can assist with their return to meaningful hobbies.

An OT may engage the same patient in a game of go fish. Yes, because it was a previously meaningful leisure activity. However, our focus (and documentation) will reflect things like: cognition (memory, sequencing of multiple steps, initiation of activity, problem solving), visual perceptual skills (are they scanning the entire field, do they have neglect, do they have issues with figure ground, depth perception, etc), fine motor skills (are they able to hold their cards, do they use both hands or is one side weak), gross motor skills of upper extremity and/or trunk (can they reach across/to the right/left to reach the cards or is the motion limited at elbow/ shoulder? Do they have enough balance and core/back strength to even sit upright?), among other problem areas.

RTs are not trained to treat and eval all these areas. They may pick up those skills over time, but there is a reason why OT is a graduate program. We are taught to look at all these additional aspects of what is needed for participation in activities of daily living.

RTs are also not trained in ADLs like dressing, bathing, functional transfers (we overlap here with PT), feeding (overlap here with ST), grooming.

And back to the original topic: no, we are not going to be replaced by RT. I would be more worried about our overlap with PT (their schools are emphasizing increased focus on function) or ST (not as much of a concern).

Edited:
Infonerd, while browsing other threads on the board, I realized you are probably asking more about RT vs OT from a mental health perspective. Very true, there is a bigger similarity between RT and mental health OT. However, we are losing ground in mental health as a whole, not just specifically to RTs. Schools are also altering their focus and slowly decreasing time spent teaching us about mental health.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi! I'm a recreation therapist but going back for my masters in occupational therapy. I purposefully went for therapeutic recreation as my undergrad with the goal to then apply to graduate school since it is similar to OT and I thought it would prepare me for the healthcare field; and it definitely did.

I wasn't positive I would want to apply to grad school right away, and I felt that with a degree in RT it would be easier to get a job rather than an undergrad degree in psychology or biology. I am currently working as a rec therapist at a rehab hospital. I'm not working as closely with the OTs as I had hoped, but they do refer patients that I should meet with. But I will say that occupational therapy will definitely not get taken over by recreation therapy. If anything, it sadly might be the other way around.

Many aspects do overlap, but what I mostly focus on is after a person has a TBI or stroke, they regain some, if not all, of the abilities that they had before in order to participate in whatever recreation they desire when they leave. Just so happens I do so using games and crafts haha.