Will other schools offer me more scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiftjab

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nycpm is offering 8k per year and I don't think any other pod school is able to offer that much unless I'm able to maintain a 4.0 (not gonna happen) so should I just withdraw all my applications and interviews at other schools to save the cost of interviews? Since I can get a great education in any of the pod schools, financial aid/scholarship is a big factor for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are other scholarships available to returning students offered not only by the schools themselves, but by AACPM, American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA), American Association of Women Podiatrists (AAWP), and Podiatry Insurance company of America (PICA), as stated by the AACPMS college guide book: http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/pdfs/2015 CIB.pdf
Not all of these require a 4.0 GPA either. Work Study options are available too, at some schools.
You may also want to crunch numbers for cost of living in different places, if you can. I know NY is one of the more expensive areas, but you may get more Financial Aid because of that.

That being said, if you really, really like NYCPM and are certain that you will be happy/succeed there, then perhaps you don't need to spend the extra time and money interviewing elsewhere.

Good luck Op!

If you are that interested in money then you should take into account the whole cost of your education which will include NY's outrageous cost of living. I think the best reason to attend NYCPM if (1) you really want to live in New York City (2) you want to do to a residency in NY/east coast.

If you are that interested in money then you should take into account the whole cost of your education which will include NY's outrageous cost of living. I think the best reason to attend NYCPM if (1) you really want to live in New York City (2) you want to do to a residency in NY/east coast.
I've already taken NYC's cost of living into account and it is still the cheapest option even if other schools offer me 12k, their maximum scholarship for the first year. The problem is I don't really want to live in NYC (but I don't hate it either) and I don't want to do a residency on the east coast but the scholarship is just too tempting and hard to turn down.

I've already taken NYC's cost of living into account and it is still the cheapest option even if other schools offer me 12k, their maximum scholarship for the first year. The problem is I don't really want to live in NYC (but I don't hate it either) and I don't want to do a residency on the east coast but the scholarship is just too tempting and hard to turn down.

I'm sorry, but unless your family lives in NY City I can't imagine a way for NY to be your cheapest option overall. I've got classmates paying $350/month in rent and walking 1 minute to get to class. Don't bother showing me your budget - I don't care. I've already had a family member tell me he thought NYC was affordable and when we put our budgets side by side he moved.

For every minute you spend in class, you'll spend many more outside of class living and studying. Picking the school that is conducive to your life is very important.

Not to derail the thread or anything, but shouldn't NYCPM also be of consideration because they seem to be consistently boasting 100% residency placement?
I'm a Canadian student, and i feel like i should only be applying to the schools that perform well in terms of placing students in residency, given that there's only so many spots an international student can apply to. Perhaps it's not that big of a deal as an American grad.

Look at NYCPM's match list. It is heavily NY city/state and east coast. Most schools have a regional bias because we can go where we want (podiatry school is easy to get into) - people from NY/East Coast want to stay there and attend school there / continue their education there. So good for those people - they are staying near home and family. NY and the east coast also contain the vast majority of the programs that scramble year after year. Make of that what you will - you'll have lots of backup options, but there's probably a reason they are the backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user