Will publishing bioethics papers help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Gerrard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love ethics. Turned down a pretty good fellowship (by prestige) for one that I am more interested in.

He also said I would be able to publish one or maybe even two papers.

He was CT surgeon that no longer practices, but is pretty well known nationally bc of his work with bioethics.

I know I will enjoy this summer, but do you guys think it will also be beneficial for my CV?

EDIT: I have no desire to do CT surgery. I like IM, but I would like to match at the best institution I possibly can, which is why I feel like resume building is still important.

Members don't see this ad.

As glad as I am that there aren't any sarcastic responses like I always expect from SDN :p i was hoping someone would have some input anyways :)

Of course this will be beneficial for your CV. You are genuinely interested in ethics, you have the chance to be mentored by a leader in the field, I say go for it.

P.S. the surgeon telling you that "you will publish 1-2 papers" means nothing. Has he had past students? Look at their track record and their time spent with him. Does it match up? People will tell you things like this, unrestrained, often with nothing to back it up. Trust but verify my friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course this will be beneficial for your CV. You are genuinely interested in ethics, you have the chance to be mentored by a leader in the field, I say go for it.

P.S. the surgeon telling you that "you will publish 1-2 papers" means nothing. Has he had past students? Look at their track record and their time spent with him. Does it match up? People will tell you things like this, unrestrained, often with nothing to back it up. Trust but verify my friend.

Hmm lol I'm not sure about his past students but I was about to choose a different research program and the director of the research program I am doing put me with him specifically bc she said by looking at his CV, it is very likely I will have a manuscript.

Obviously that doesn't guarantee anything, but I can hope :xf::xf::xf:

I was published in bioethics while in med school and it was brought up a lot in my residency interviews. Bioethics is always an interesting subject. Of course it will help you CV! why not?

Last edited:
I was published in bioethics while in med school and it was brought up a lot in my residency interviews. Bioethics is always an interesting subject. Of course it will help you CV! why not?

well i guess it would help.. but everyone says you should do research in whatever residency field you want to go into

obviously i don't know what ill end up doing, but by choosing no field at all, i feel bad lol

plus i turned down an IM subspecialty fellowship at a top 15 to stay at my home institution. i just wanted to be comfortable and the top 15 was too close to fly, to far to drive, financials would not have been great, friends and gf are here, etc.

this thread is mostly me feeling guilty about that lol

well i guess it would help.. but everyone says you should do research in whatever residency field you want to go into

obviously i don't know what ill end up doing, but by choosing no field at all, i feel bad lol

plus i turned down an IM subspecialty fellowship at a top 15 to stay at my home institution. i just wanted to be comfortable and the top 15 was too close to fly, to far to drive, financials would not have been great, friends and gf are here, etc.

Make a decision and don't look back.

it seems you already know the answer to your question. Obviously the fellowship at the top 15 would be more beneficial to you when applying to residencies, but your decision clearly wasn't based solely on that. Do your ethics paper, get something fruitful out of it, and don't worry about turning down the position. Clearly you had your reasons.