Will REU & SURF programs look bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obog360

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will medical schools and premedical school committee (that writes a committee letter for medical schools) look down on the REU and SURF programs, because those programs are mainly targeted to future PhD students?

Members don't see this ad.

No. In general they value these experiences as examples of your scientific ability.

Just the opposite, or so I've been told. Unlike doing research at your home institution, SURF and REU programs are things you have to formally apply for, and they are fairly competitive. So doing a program like that indicates that you have shown initiative in identifying research programs related to your interests, and also shows that you were selected from a competitive group of applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just the opposite, or so I've been told. Unlike doing research at your home institution, SURF and REU programs are things you have to formally apply for, and they are fairly competitive. So doing a program like that indicates that you have shown initiative in identifying research programs related to your interests, and also shows that you were selected from a competitive group of applicants.
This may or may not be true. But if you are serious about doing research during undergrad and assuming you are not a freshman, it may be advantageous to do work in a lab at your home institution in order to write a thesis. On the other hand, medical schools would never look down on you for doing a program just because it was geared towards something other than MDs, and research is research no matter what it's about or who it's geared to.

i did a SURP program at mt sinai and i think it definitely was a good thing. plus, its a great way to spend a summer - research, free housing and a stipend

i did a SURP program at mt sinai and i think it definitely was a good thing. plus, its a great way to spend a summer - research, free housing and a stipend
If anything, that's the best reason to apply to a summer research program.

If anything, that's the best reason to apply to a summer research program.
thats what im going to put on my amcas as what ive gained from summer research experience

haha to be honest, thats why i applied. i enjoyed research and i wanted to make money somehow.

edit: also because i didnt want to live at home for the summer ;)