Will stopping volunteering to work more look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kk123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know ideally one should continue volunteering activities until accepted into a med school so it doesn't look like the volunteering is just to get into medical school. I was wondering if after showing a long commitment to a volunteer activity (1-2 years), would it look really bad to stop a volunteer activity in order to increase work hours, or would it be considered enough time commitment?

Members don't see this ad.

You answered your own question. Yes, it will look bad. You will come off as a box-checker if you stop it abruptly.

Also, unless you absolutely need the money, volunteering is better than working. It's a minimal time commitment which allows you to focus on your grades, MCAT, and doing things you actually enjoy. The money you make now is pocket change compared to future earnings as well. Plus if you rack up more hours and maybe add another volunteer activity, you will look good for service-focused schools.

Don't quit!!!

You answered your own question. Yes, it will look bad. You will come off as a box-checker if you stop it abruptly.

Also, unless you absolutely need the money, volunteering is better than working. It's a minimal time commitment which allows you to focus on your grades, MCAT, and doing things you actually enjoy. The money you make now is pocket change compared to future earnings as well. Plus if you rack up more hours and maybe add another volunteer activity, you will look good for service-focused schools.

Don't quit!!!
I was afraid of that. The problem is I really do need the money, but I will just have to try to balance working more and keeping up my volunteer ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about stopping it (volunteering) temporarily and getting back to later? And, earning money mean while?

Also, how do they see it if you change your volunteer to another focus, like mentoring schoolchildren to helping with patients?

Hmmm, I definitely relate to your situation (I'm a "financially disadvantaged" student). However, I don't think it would be in your best interest to drop your volunteering or any ECs. If the volunteering activity is a major time commitment, perhaps consider a different activity that isn't quite a commitment. That way, you still have something to jot down, and you've freed up time to work! =D

Reactions: 1 user