Will taking one honors class and then back to regular classes be frowned upon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boba96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SND community! :) I am hoping to get some help on my schedule. :) I am planning to take only one quarter of honors general chem and then take regular general chem for the next two quarters. I am planning to do this since I earned AP credit for 1 quarter of chem. However, most med schools require 3 quarters w/o acceptance of AP credit.

So will adcoms look at this negatively? Would they expect me to go through with 3 quarters of honors general chem instead of going back to regular? Or should I just take 2 quarters of regular chem and then an upper-division chem class in inorganic chemistry? I am not sure what to do! Ahh! :/

Members don't see this ad.

Most med schools do indeed accept AP credit for Chemistry unless you are in a state such as California. Medical schools do not seem to care much about honors classes and if you think they may hurt your GPA, then you should stay away from them. You do not need to take any additional coursework in Chemistry as there are already 5 Chemistry courses that are required by med schools (Gen Chem I&II, Orgo I&II, and Biochem I).

Hello SND community! :) I am hoping to get some help on my schedule. :) I am planning to take only one quarter of honors general chem and then take regular general chem for the next two quarters. I am planning to do this since I earned AP credit for 1 quarter of chem. However, most med schools require 3 quarters w/o acceptance of AP credit.

So will adcoms look at this negatively? Would they expect me to go through with 3 quarters of honors general chem instead of going back to regular? Or should I just take 2 quarters of regular chem and then an upper-division chem class in inorganic chemistry? I am not sure what to do! Ahh! :/

No one will notice, honestly.