Will the following course cover my math skills for chem, physics, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t510

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could use some help. I am very weak at math and really afraid that I will fail the prereq courses because of the math. Do you think the following course will prepare me for the prereq and to be able to do well in them?

I've asked a similar question before. Thanks!

Description
This course provides the mathematical foundation for an introductory calculus course. In addition to a brief review of basic algebra, students are instructed in equations and inequalities; functions, models, and graphs; polynomial and rational functions; exponential and logarithmic functions; trigonometric functions; and trigonometric identities and equations.

After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
  • Solve elementary algebra and geometry problems.
  • Solve elementary linear inequalities problems.
  • Define functions and draw their graphs
  • Solve elementary inverse function problems.
  • Solve polynomial, and rational functions
  • Solve exponential and logarithmic problems
  • Graph sinusoidal functions.
  • Solve problems involving trigonometric identities and trigonometric equations.
  • Formulate mathematical models using the various functions described in the course.
Course Outline
Units
  • Topics from Algebra
  • Functions and Graphs
  • Polynomial and Rational Functions
  • Inverse, Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
  • The Trigonometric Functions
  • Analytic Trigonometry

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, learn them logs and elementary trigonometry like the back of your hand and you will have enough math to go to doctor school.

Sounds like pre-calculus.

So I guess, if by "the prereq" you mean calculus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, to clarify- I am trying to improve my math skills to a level where I will be able to handle any required math calculations in the required Premedical coursework (physics, chem, bio).

Thanks. Sorry for the poor grammar.

Sorry, to clarify- I am trying to improve my math skills to a level where I will be able to handle any required math calculations in the required Premedical coursework (physics, chem, bio).

Thanks. Sorry for the poor grammar.
Be comfortable with your algebra and you'll be fine.

I feel like math is purely a weedout thing and a peer pressure thing, ie the AMA is scared of what people would say if people admitted math is not that important for medicine, aside from super advanced research. Even upper level chem professors say that a person who gets a C- in Calculus is not necessary going to fail to get an A in orgo I. I mean when is the last time even a HMS student ever saw an imaginary number or unit circle in radians?

All you need is algebra for physics and chemistry. The only math I use in day to day medicine is calculating doses for children's medication which are weight based.

lbs to kg lb/2.2= kg

Omnicef is 14mg/kg/day so an 11kg child will get 11kg x 14 mg/kg/day = 154 mg/day

Now the preparation of omnicef comes 125mg/5ml or 250mg/5ml So you have to decide how many mls of which strength to give.

That's all I do every day.

Reactions: 1 users
That sounds like a great course to take especially if you are going further with Math. For prerequisite courses, I think it would be very helpful.

Reactions: 1 user