Will these qualifications get me into my desired BS/MD programs?

kbains460

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently a junior (11th) in an all IB school (International Baccalaureate) and I am taking Chemistry and Biology as my sciences as well as Math Sl (Pre-Calc/ Calc 1). I will be taking HL Chemistry and HL biology and most likely HL History (maybe English). I currently have a 3.9 (3.87) and an ACT score of 32 (going to take SAT and will most likely achieve a 1450-1520). If all goes well it will be a 3.9 flat and maybe even 3.92. I volunteer, shadow, observe, and hopefully going to research soon. I have about 110 hours of volunteering and will continue till end of senior year and probably into my undergrad years. By the end of this year (2016) I will have accumulated about 200-250 hours at my hospital. Would it be wise to go to a different hospital as well for more experience? I just started shadowing a Pediatrician and will continue for about 30 hours or so. I am going to try to diversify who I shadow with (PAs. NPs, Nurses, etc.). I have also seen some surgeries through an event in my hospital. I am looking for research opportunities and places to go into a lab. Any advice?? I do tons of research on schools, professions, and also visit many seminars and events related to premed/ anything medicine related. I have read many books on the experiences of many trauma/ general surgeons in medical school. It could possibly give me more to talk about in interviews, but I also love reading about these nerve racking scenarios. Any links or materials that could help me go to the schools I want to?

Schools:
8 year Pre–Professional Scholars Program with Case Western Reserve University, OH
7 and 8 year programs with various undergraduate institutions (Drexel University,
Villanova University, Lehigh University, Rosemont College, West Chester University,
Muhlenberg College, Ursinus College)
7 year Direct D.O. Program- Michigan State University
7 year Liberal Arts and Medical Education Program with Boston University, MA
6 year BS/MD NEOMED Program with the University of Akron (OH), Kent State
State University OH), Youngstown State University (OH)
8 year Medical Scholar Program with St. Louis University, MO
8 year Guaranteed Professional Program Admissions (GPPA) with the University of Illinois
8 year Guaranteed Admissions Program with the University of Pittsburgh, PA
8/9 year BS/MD program with College of Engineering at the University of Toledo, OH
7/8 year BS/MD program University of Miami B.S./M.D. Medical Scholars Program

Thank you for you time and effort

*If you are a ew pre-med student (either in a normal program or BS/MD), medical student or any admissions staff could you please advise? Anyone affiliated with any BS/MD please comment and give your feedback on your program (pros/cons)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs and grades are certainly compelling, but to also be considered for these programs, you need to take some subject tests in the sciences (SAT II's). BU wants Chem, Math 2 and a foreign language, I believe.