Will this be enough app improvement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whyamionhere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edited just because it had a lot of details that could be identifying

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan! If you do not live in the WAMMI states, for get about U WA. If you do, keep it, and include the new WA State school. Given the < avg GPAs, also include Western-OR and PacNW.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. You should receive interviews and acceptances with your stats if you apply broadly to at least 20 schools. Consider adding these:
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Einstein
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Tufts
Boston University

Yes apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. You should receive interviews and acceptances with your stats if you apply broadly to at least 20 schools. Consider adding these:
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Einstein
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Tufts
Boston University

Totally agree and would add:
Rush
Rochester
MCW
Wayne

Also, for the stuff that you are adding, realize that you'll be adding to your app with ~50-100 hours max/EC. Make sure that you can weave those experiences into the bigger story of 1) your personal motivation for being a doctor 2) how it is bettering you (building on previous experiences, exploring new areas of interest, etc). Make it seem less like necessary window dressing.

Totally agree and would add:
Rush
Rochester
MCW
Wayne

Also, for the stuff that you are adding, realize that you'll be adding to your app with ~50-100 hours max/EC. Make sure that you can weave those experiences into the bigger story of 1) your personal motivation for being a doctor 2) how it is bettering you (building on previous experiences, exploring new areas of interest, etc). Make it seem less like necessary window dressing.

He'll only be a reapp to the original schools he applied to. Given that he had an interview and was rejected after it, I would look at some interview prep as well as contacting this schools to see if any will give him feedback on his application.

Reactions: 1 users
If you follow your plan and can interview decently youll likely be fine. You dont need DO schools just a good MD list. Faha has some solid school suggestions. I think you have a pretty reasonable shot at being competitive for Washington State which is opening up next cycle.

You're only a reapplicant at the schools youve applied to once, and there are 4 on your list where I would have said you have a shot at last year(state school, Temple and to some extent Keck and U of Arizona). That's not that bad of a spot to be in.

The fact you didnt get a waitlist post-interview with solid stats is suggestive perhaps the interview at U of Wash didnt go all that great but we're also talking about n=1.

Out of Faha's list the first schools I would look at are Saint Louis, Tulane, Jefferson, Hofstra, Einstein, Wake and Tufts. The MCAT is on the high side and getting close to the 90th percentile for schools like Creighton, Quinnipac, Albany, NYMC, Oakland and Western Michigan but I would include those as well.

Also consider adding Rochester, Emory, Medical College of Wisconsin, Miami, Cincinnati, Ohio State, UIC, Rochester, Va Tech, Case Western and Penn State. That should be plenty.