Will this help me on the new exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think taking a biostats class will help me for the new MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Per https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf, not really.

The only math involved is basic algebra, as it is was with the old MCAT. I would bet it might be helpful in some ways, but not as directly applicable to any listed material - maybe?

The syllabus does refer to "statistical reasoning", but in the context of interpreting data,graphs, and charts.

I suggest going to the link I posted, hitting Ctrl + F, typing in "stat", and scrolling through the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
The subject matter itself? Not in the slightest. There is almost no math you can't do in your head on the MCAT, and they intentionally used well rounded numbers and such.

HOWEVER, a good biostats class should teach you to analyze and interpret data, which might help you with some of the critical thinking aspects of the test.

No. Biostats will not help.

IMO, you need to invest in a set of MCAT prep books and go through them. If the MCAT prep book fails to adequately cover any topic that it brings up, or that's on AAMC's list of topics you need to know, then do an internet search on that topic. There are a lot of supplemental resources online, but the MCAT prep books should be your main resource.

Even though people sometimes get away with it, it's against TOS to recommend any specific set of MCAT prep books. Instead, I will point you to this thread where you can see what's worked for people in the past who have done well on the MCAT, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/30-mcat-study-habits-the-cbt-version.503250/page-31

Good luck!

it's against TOS to recommend any specific set of MCAT prep books

I have noticed you said this a couple times. Why would it be against the TOS for stating your opinion on resources? I believe that only applies if you are a vendor or representative for a company - unless you are, then never mind.

I have noticed you said this a couple times. Why would it be against the TOS for stating your opinion on resources? I believe that only applies if you are a vendor or representative for a company - unless you are, then never mind.

I've received a warning and I'm not a vendor. I'm a pre-med in the process of applying for medical school and a tutor at a community center. Unfortunately, I am definitely not allowed to post links (other than SDN links) or recommend specific products anymore. (A paid advertiser was reporting me whenever I recommended his competitors.)

The lack of ability to recommend specific MCAT prep materials or to provide links (other than SDN links) makes it difficult to help people sometimes. It's tough for me when I know the answer and try to direct people without those options.

When I say things like, "search the internet," I'm concerned that I can be misunderstood. That statement can sound negative like I'm blowing someone off or subtly accusing one of not doing their due diligence. That's why I make sure to mention what I cannot do that I wish I could be doing.

Last edited:
The subject matter itself? Not in the slightest. There is almost no math you can't do in your head on the MCAT, and they intentionally used well rounded numbers and such.

HOWEVER, a good biostats class should teach you to analyze and interpret data, which might help you with some of the critical thinking aspects of the test

This was my reason for considering the class…I'm pretty abysmal at interpreting graphs and data, so I hoped a class that explained this in the biological context would help.

No. Biostats will not help.

IMO, you need to invest in a set of MCAT prep books and go through them. If the MCAT prep book fails to adequately cover any topic that it brings up, or that's on AAMC's list of topics you need to know, then do an internet search on that topic. There are a lot of supplemental resources online, but the MCAT prep books should be your main resource.

Even though people sometimes get away with it, it's against TOS to recommend any specific set of MCAT prep books. Instead, I will point you to this thread where you can see what's worked for people in the past who have done well on the MCAT, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/30-mcat-study-habits-the-cbt-version.503250/page-31

Good luck!

Since it's a new exam, I'm not sure which prep books would prepare me the best :confused: At this point, I think I will have to stick with biostats anyway, since it is required for my major and I can't really take it in the summer. Considering the new exam's content though, can you tell me which of these classes you would recommend taking (I have to take one of these…)? Brain and Behavior or Microbiology?

I think brain and behavior is more likely to help you with the new MCAT content wise. There are some neuro questions in the bio section and some more in the psych section. Probably more helpful for psych though, that's where you will see questions like "a patient has XYZ symptoms after hitting his head, what area of the brain is most likely affected?"

Since it's a new exam, I'm not sure which prep books would prepare me the best :confused: At this point, I think I will have to stick with biostats anyway, since it is required for my major and I can't really take it in the summer. Considering the new exam's content though, can you tell me which of these classes you would recommend taking (I have to take one of these…)? Brain and Behavior or Microbiology?

The answer to that question, I think, is a matter of opinion. Brain and Behavior, to me sounds like a type of psychology, and the new MCAT will have more biology too. I'm not sure which is "better" if either of them are. Good luck in either case!

I think brain and behavior is more likely to help you with the new MCAT content wise. There are some neuro questions in the bio section and some more in the psych section. Probably more helpful for psych though, that's where you will see questions like "a patient has XYZ symptoms after hitting his head, what area of the brain is most likely affected?"

Wait really? But I thought that was a biology question! I didn't think the psych section would ask specific questions like that…but this class does also talk about a lot of psychological disorders

The answer to that question, I think, is a matter of opinion. Brain and Behavior, to me sounds like a type of psychology, and the new MCAT will have more biology too. I'm not sure which is "better" if either of them are. Good luck in either case!

Would you both mind looking at the topics schedule and maybe then it would be more clear to you as to whether this class will help me for the new MCAT vs micro? I would really appreciate it as I'm unable to decide!

(attached)

Attachments

• Schedule.docx
    25.9 KB · Views: 32
Just because its the "psych" section does not mean their won't be any biology related questions! The whole point of the re-structure is to make it a more holistic test.

I've received a warning and I'm not a vendor. I'm a pre-med in the process of applying for medical school and a tutor at a community center. Unfortunately, I am definitely not allowed to post links (other than SDN links) or recommend specific products anymore. (A paid advertiser was reporting me whenever I recommended his competitors.)

The lack of ability to recommend specific MCAT prep materials or to provide links (other than SDN links) makes it difficult to help people sometimes. It's tough for me when I know the answer and try to direct people without those options.

When I say things like, "search the internet," I'm concerned that I can be misunderstood. That statement can sound negative like I'm blowing someone off or subtly accusing one of not doing their due diligence. That's why I make sure to mention what I cannot do that I wish I could be doing.

Can't voice your opinions about "inferior products"? Wow that sounds like a whole lotta crap. Maybe you could send it to ppl through private messages?