Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Will this work for putting off $90,000 in student loan debt indefinately?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Roland Deschain, 01.13.06.

1. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Junior Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I have decided not to got to medical school after six years at a top flight University (two years as a grad student getting my MS in physiology). In fact I've decided to become a stay at home Dad (my wife is in CRNA school at Baylor). The problem is that I owe $90,000 and currently earn about $35,000 which means that I don't qualify for income forbearences. My plan is to enroll for six hours at a local public University taking online Independent study courses pursuing a second undergraduate degree. At $150.00 per credit hour I can take twelve credit hours per year (which you have up to ten months to complete) for only $150 per month (as compared to my student loan minimum payment of about $900.00 per month). Everything, I can find on the subject indicates that I could do this indefinately (although once my wife graduates from CRNA school we will start paying the loans back). What am I missing and couldn't others with high levels of student loan debt (who won't end up with a high salary) use this strategy?
  2. cosmo

cosmo super chihuahua

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I think you're good. When I went back to school my loan was suspended while I was in school. One thing...you don't get the 6 month grace period a second time, and I'm not sure if your interest accumulates while in school. I can't remember, though I think it doesn't?
  3. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee. Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    the subsidized loans don't accumulate interest. The unsubsidized ones do.
  4. Ashanti Rock

Ashanti Rock Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 7+ Year Member

you could just ask for a general forbearane, they are pretty good about those. I asked for one since I was applying to medical school, even though I'm earning enough money now to afford the monthly payments and it was granted for 8 months no questions asked! G'luck.
  5. Conqueror

Conqueror Doctor Light, P-H-D!!!

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm not sure on the student loans, but when I saw your username I had to post.

1000 Cool Points to the Gunslinger. :)

CQ

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal