About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Will this work for putting off $90,000 in student loan debt indefinately?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Roland Deschain, Jan 13, 2006.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Junior Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I have decided not to got to medical school after six years at a top flight University (two years as a grad student getting my MS in physiology). In fact I've decided to become a stay at home Dad (my wife is in CRNA school at Baylor). The problem is that I owe $90,000 and currently earn about $35,000 which means that I don't qualify for income forbearences. My plan is to enroll for six hours at a local public University taking online Independent study courses pursuing a second undergraduate degree. At $150.00 per credit hour I can take twelve credit hours per year (which you have up to ten months to complete) for only $150 per month (as compared to my student loan minimum payment of about $900.00 per month). Everything, I can find on the subject indicates that I could do this indefinately (although once my wife graduates from CRNA school we will start paying the loans back). What am I missing and couldn't others with high levels of student loan debt (who won't end up with a high salary) use this strategy?
  2. cosmo

cosmo super chihuahua

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I think you're good. When I went back to school my loan was suspended while I was in school. One thing...you don't get the 6 month grace period a second time, and I'm not sure if your interest accumulates while in school. I can't remember, though I think it doesn't?
  3. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee. Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    the subsidized loans don't accumulate interest. The unsubsidized ones do.
  4. Ashanti Rock

Ashanti Rock Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 7+ Year Member

you could just ask for a general forbearane, they are pretty good about those. I asked for one since I was applying to medical school, even though I'm earning enough money now to afford the monthly payments and it was granted for 8 months no questions asked! G'luck.
  5. Conqueror

Conqueror Doctor Light, P-H-D!!!

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm not sure on the student loans, but when I saw your username I had to post.

1000 Cool Points to the Gunslinger. :)

CQ