Will Walgreens hire a PharmD that was fired as a tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked for Walgreens for just over 2 years as a tech from 2008 to 2010. I was hired at a compounding pharmacy and I put in my 2 weeks notice at Walgreens. About 4 days before I was supposed to quit, the manager fired me for being exactly 2 minutes late.

I graduate in 2016. Is there any chance Walgreens will hire me as a PharmD when I graduate? Or am I blacklisted forever?

Also, how long do they keep employment records?

Members don't see this ad.

you can call corporate and ask them if you can be rehired

Why would you want to work for a company that treated you that way?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2 minutes late? Clearly he was just looking for any excuse to fire you, why didn't he like you?

Always two sides to every story.

Reactions: 1 users
I worked for Walgreens for just over 2 years as a tech from 2008 to 2010. I was hired at a compounding pharmacy and I put in my 2 weeks notice at Walgreens. About 4 days before I was supposed to quit, the manager fired me for being exactly 2 minutes late. I graduate in 2016. Is there any chance Walgreens will hire me as a PharmD when I graduate? Or am I blacklisted forever? Also, how long do they keep employment records?

isnt that wrongful termination? couldnt u get a ton of money for that?
i personally know a cvs grad intern who got fired. then half a year later cvs rehired him as a PIC. i guess all u have to do is apply at a different district with a different supervisor?

What was this store manager thinking? You were suppose to quit and he fired you 4 days before?

That doesn't make sense. Most store managers would love it if somebody they do not like quits. This saves them a lot of HR headaches, and minimizes liability.

isnt that wrongful termination? couldnt u get a ton of money for that?
i personally know a cvs grad intern who got fired. then half a year later cvs rehired him as a PIC. i guess all u have to do is apply at a different district with a different supervisor?

Wrongful termination applies to discrimination. It varies depending among state law. Usually discrimination against age, sex, race, military preference, etc.

A company can fire you for 2 minutes late but usually that is very weak.

For example, if you were to sue the court.... because you were pregnant and then fired for 2 minutes late, , the courts will have a hard time believing employer that they fired you for being 2 minutes late instead of being prego.when you were not documented previously for being late, or given warnings.

Why would you want to work for a company that treated you that way?

I enjoyed my time there. I would also be working in a different district and state. When they fired me they said that they wanted to give my hours to another employee.

I'd imagine that unless you were fired for something major (like theft or sexual harassment), that you wouldn't be automatically blacklisted. Although all else being equal, I would think they would take another applicant over someone who had been fired.

It seems very strange that your manager would have fired you for being 2 minutes later--I've seen situations where someone has put in their notice and the manager pretty much told them that 2 weeks wouldn't be necessary that their resignation would be accepted effective immediately. As others have mentioned, firing someone without just cause opens the company up to potential liability, if your manager merely wanted to give your hours to someone else, I don't know why they wouldn't have just told you that and asked if you would be willing to just quit immediately. I'm sure stranger things have happened, but I can't help wondering if there isn't more to this situation then you are telling.

I know this thread is ancient, but I just wanted to give an update. I did get hired by Walgreens a while back. They had no records of my previous employment apparently.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked for Walgreens for just over 2 years as a tech from 2008 to 2010. I was hired at a compounding pharmacy and I put in my 2 weeks notice at Walgreens. About 4 days before I was supposed to quit, the manager fired me for being exactly 2 minutes late.

I graduate in 2016. Is there any chance Walgreens will hire me as a PharmD when I graduate? Or am I blacklisted forever?

Also, how long do they keep employment records?

You didn't get fired for being 2 minutes late. Please stop the bsing. If you want honest advice, please start off with an honest post.

You didn't get fired for being 2 minutes late. Please stop the bsing. If you want honest advice, please start off with an honest post.

I don't think he was asking for any advice and definitely not from you.

Have you ever had an actual job before? Especially working in high school I think most people understand the fact that there are many dinguses in management across all fields of business. You jumping to the conclusion that he is lying about this simply because it doesn't seem plausible to you without any other information is completely ignorant on your part.