About the ads

Will you be working during OT school?

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by OTgal03, Apr 17, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. OTgal03

OTgal03

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Just curious if anyone will be working during grad school? If so, does it relate to OT?
  2. beestrng

beestrng

Pre-Rehab Sci [AuD/DPT/OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm going to keep my part time job if accepted to my local schools. It is medical oriented.
  3. EastCoastHope

EastCoastHope

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I hope to be able to work on campus. I'm going to be going to an instate-yeah tuition-school in a more rural area.
  4. OTlg2

OTlg2

I'm also wondering about this. Regardless of what job you will have, how many hours to you plan to work during OT school?
  5. beestrng

beestrng

SDN 2+ Year Member
    20 hours a week would be nice
  6. affa

affa

SDN 2+ Year Member
    My program only meets about 4 days a month, the rest is online. I am planning on working at least half time but ideally 3/4 time.The program is expensive! I am hoping to only take out loans for the tuition and make enough money to live on.

Not that I have a job lined up or anything.Don't suppose anyone in the Philly/ New York area knows of a job for recent grad with a a bio/ natural science/ intermediate Spanish background? Yeah, didn't think so.
  7. OTdream

OTdream

Not sure how much experience/interest you have in kids but nannying in NYC is a gold mine! And if you speak spanish or french fluently you might have an advantage.
  8. Shelby029

Shelby029

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I sure hope I can work during school. Probably nothing related to OT. It'd have to be something very flexible since OT school involves a lot of meetings/labs/fieldwork/group work. Ideally 20 hours a week. :)
  9. STCM

STCM

I agree that 15-20 hrs/week seems reasonable. I've been working as a waitress while finishing my prereqs and it's been perfect. I work only nights, mostly on weekends and the shifts are generally only 5 or 6 hours long. It's a nice, small place and we have lots of regular customers so I can make pretty good money working with respectful people. I will probably continue to work a couple days a week during my program so I don't have to take out loans for all my living expenses.
  10. 127428

I'll most likely continue my job working with an adolescent girl with autism. I will be working anywhere from 5-25 hours depending on the week. If it starts to disrupt my performance in school I will cut back or quit.