William Carey Osteopathic School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Southern_Weather

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I was on my way to Jackson, MS today and decided to stop at William Carey University Hattiesburg campus. I have had my eye on this med school for quite some time ( at least since it opened :rolleyes: ) and asked for a tour. Since it was unscheduled, it was not very long at all but I did appreciate that the secretary of the Associate Dean took the time to give me one. Frankly, it probably would not have been any longer had it been scheduled; the Medical school is quite small, granted, I don't have anything to compare it to but it seemed small. Since class was in-session, I did not get to see all of the classrooms but I was able to see the clinical practice setting and study cubicles. The practice clinicals haven't even been touched due to the school only being in its 2nd year. All very nice and had a quality look to it but it also seemed quite mundane and bland. The campus is beautiful with an extremely laxed atmosphere and people seemed prepared to help one another but there is just this ALMOST boring atmosphere which unfortunetly seems to extend into the med school. According to my 'tour guide', there are 100 spots to be filled, I asked the number of applicants, expecting under 1K due to Mississippian preference, but I was WAY off...........2,000 people applied! I just really expected a lot less. Apparently they expect a 3.4 science gpa and a minimum 24 on the MCAT:eek: kinda blew my mind because I was under the impression that anything below a 26 was inadequate. Contrary to how this may be read, I am still content with this school and would love to be a med student here in a couple years. I just wanted to give you guys something to read and I figure some of you guys are interested in this school. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them or PM me. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN,

I was on my way to Jackson, MS today and decided to stop at William Carey University Hattiesburg campus. I have had my eye on this med school for quite some time ( at least since it opened :rolleyes: ) and asked for a tour. Since it was unscheduled, it was not very long at all but I did appreciate that the secretary of the Associate Dean took the time to give me one. Frankly, it probably would not have been any longer had it been scheduled; the Medical school is quite small, granted, I don't have anything to compare it to but it seemed small. Since class was in-session, I did not get to see all of the classrooms but I was able to see the clinical practice setting and study cubicles. The practice clinicals haven't even been touched due to the school only being in its 2nd year. All very nice and had a quality look to it but it also seemed quite mundane and bland. The campus is beautiful with an extremely laxed atmosphere and people seemed prepared to help one another but there is just this ALMOST boring atmosphere which unfortunetly seems to extend into the med school. According to my 'tour guide', there are 100 spots to be filled, I asked the number of applicants, expecting under 1K due to Mississippian preference, but I was WAY off...........2,000 people applied! I just really expected a lot less. Apparently they expect a 3.4 science gpa and a minimum 24 on the MCAT:eek: kinda blew my mind because I was under the impression that anything below a 26 was inadequate. Contrary to how this may be read, I am still content with this school and would love to be a med student here in a couple years. I just wanted to give you guys something to read and I figure some of you guys are interested in this school. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them or PM me. :)

How many new DO schools are opening? I haven't even heard of this one, criminey. I feel for the future students when they apply to residency.

I am not sure of any others opening. There are only two Medical Schools in Mississippi. University of Mississippi Medical center in Jackson which has been around for quite some time and now, since 2009, William Carey School of Osteopathic Medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many new DO schools are opening? I haven't even heard of this one, criminey. I feel for the future students when they apply to residency.

Add Marian U, Campbell U, and Alabama college of osteopathic medicine. 162 student classes, each, for fall 2013.

Hey SDN,

Just because it's a minimum doesn't mean it's adequate.

Glad to know that you have been in books and not on SDN that much. Please keep your feeling, as we do NOT need it!! We will be fine when it comes residency time

After almost completing my first year at WCU-COM, I must say that I am completely happy and satisfied with the education that I have received at this point. We have a faculty that averages over 25 years of experience teaching in medical schools, including Harvard. We have clinicians who shut down their practice to join the faculty, including an orthopedic surgeon. They bring a wealth of clinical knowledge to the school. WCU-COM knows their students and cares about their performance. After a rough start in the first semester, I had numerous professors stop me in the hall and tell me how proud they were of me for making it through to the second semester. They have reached every COCA standard for accreditation as soon as they were eligible.

Out of 2000 applicants for this cycle, they may have sent out 400 secondary applications and interviewed about 200 for a class of 100. (The secondary & interview numbers are probably high.) They interview only 6 people per day. In short, they take their time and are deliberate.

As far as size of the school, it was laid out differently than the other schools that I interviewed out but did not seem that much smaller, if at all.

Glad to know that you have been in books and not on SDN that much. Please keep your feeling, as we do NOT need it!! We will be fine when it comes residency time

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Obviously you are a bit clueless as to just how many medical schools have opened up recently and the stagnant growth of residency positions. But, whatever.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Obviously you are a bit clueless as to just how many medical schools have opened up recently and the stagnant growth of residency positions. But, whatever.

No, I am aware of how many are opening up, as well as, the upcoming "residency crunch" and I do share your concerns about it. I am also aware of the proposed cuts in funding of GME. However, this stagnant growth should affect the IMG's first before any US trained physicians. At least in Mississippi, where WCU is located, the state has committed in increasing the number of allopathic and osteopathic residency positions. I am sure other states are doing likewise.

Yeah, you know I used to be in that boat as well. Then I saw the first RVUCOM match list. I remember all of the comments about how essentially it was the worst school ever and would bring about the end of the world. Yea, they were sure right weren't they...:rolleyes::
Here's complete match list for RVU (ACGME, AOA, Military)

CLASS OF 2012 ALL MATCH RESULTS
Specialty by Number and Location
Specialty
Cleveland Clinic, Oh
U Colorado, Denver, CO
BAMC
Loyola Univ Med Ctr, IL
South Pointe Hosp, OH
Hershey Med/Penn State, PA
BAMC
Hershey Med/Penn State, PA
U Kansas SOM - Kansas City, KS
WestUComp/Riverside County, CA
U Nebraska Affil Hosps, NE

Emergency Medicine 15
Columbia Hosp/St. Lucie, FL
Summa Health, OH
OUCOM/St John Med Ctr, OH
OSUCOM/Southwest Med Ctr, OK
Christus Spohn Mem Hosp, TX
U Nevada Affil Hosps, NV
St Lukes' Hosp-Allentown, PA
South Pointe Hosp, OH
Synergy Med Ed Alliance, MI
WSU/Detroit Med Ctr, MI
UNECOM/Kent Hosp, RI
U Kentucky Med Ctr, KY
U Iowa Hosps & Clinics, IA
NYCOM/Newark Beth Is/St Barnabas, NJ
WVSOM/Ohio Valley Med Ctr/WV

Family Medicine 28
LECOM/St Petersgurg Gen Hosp, FL
U Colorado, Fam Med/Swedish, CO
Camp Pendleton, CA
Clarkson Fam Med, NE
St Anthony North, CO
U of Wyoming, Casper, WY
Travis AF Base, CA
UNTHSCTCOM/Plaza Med-Ft. Worth, TX
U Oklahoma COM, OK
UNECOM/Eastern Maine, ME
UNECOM/Eastern Maine, ME
NSUCOM/North Broward Hosp, FL
MWU-CCOM/Advocate Bromenn Med, IL
OSUCOM/St Anthony Hosp, OK
OSUCOM/Southeastern OK, OK
U Kansas SOM-Wichita, KS
UMDNJSOM/AHS Overlook, NJ
WESTUCOMP/St Mary's Pueblo, CO
Camp Pendleton, CA
Ft. Bragg, NC
Firelands Reg Med Ctr, OH
PCOM/Pinnaclehealth Hosp, PA
Via Christi Reg Med Ctr, KS
UTMB-Texas
KCOM/U of WY, Casper, WY
OSUCOM/Med Ctr Southeastern, OK
OSUCOM/Med Ctr Southeastern, OK
TUCOM-CA/Valley Hosp Med Ctr, NV

FM/EM 1
Aria Health, PA

Internal Medicine 25
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
U Colorado, Denver, CO
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
MWU-AZCOM/Verde Valley, AZ
William Beaumont Med Ctr, TX
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
TUCOM-CA/Valley Hosp Med Ctr, NV
OK State Univ Med Ctr, OK
UNTHSCTCOM/Bay Area Corpus Chris, TX
NSUCOM/North Broward Hosp, FL
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
NSUCOM/Largo Med Ctr, FL
VCOM/Lewis Gale Hosp, VA
Exempla St. Joe Hosp, CO
Ingham Reg Med Ctr, MI
MSUCOM/St Joseph Mercy Oakland, CA
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
Banner Good Sam, AZ
UNTHSCTCOM/Plaza Med-Ft Worth, TX
UNTHSCTCOM/Plaza Med-Ft Worth, TX
USAF Med Ctr (Keesler) Biloxi, MS

IM/EM
St John Providence Health Sys, MI

Neurology
Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA

OB/GYN 6
Tripler AF Base/Grant Med, HI
St John Providence Health Sys, MI
Botsford Hosp, MI
Brooke Army Med Ctr, TX
Metro Health Hosp, MI
Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA

Ortho Surgery 2
St. Louis, MO
OUCOM/Doctor's Hosp, OH

Oto Facial & Plastic Surg 1
OK State U Med Ctr, OK

Pathology 1
LSU, LA

Pediatrics 11
OUCOM/Doctors Hosp, OH
NSUCOM/N Broward Hosp, FL
OK State U Med Ctr, OK
U Conn Health Ctr, CT
Columbia Hosp/Palms West, FL
Childrens Mercy Hosp, MO
U Wisconsin Hosp & Clin, WI
U Conn Health Ctr, CT
Loyola Univ Med Ctr, IL
U Arizona Affil Hosps, AZ
UTMB Galveston, TX

Psychiatry 4
U IL Methodist Med Ctr, IL
Baylor Col Med, TX
Univ of HI
Columbia Hosp/University, FL

Radiology 2
OUCOM/Grandview Hosp, OH
Drexel Univ Hahnemann Hosp, PA

Surgery 4
Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA
Pontiac Osteo Hosp, MI
St Louis Univ SOM, MO
Naval Hosp (San Diego) CA

Traditional 12
St Joseph-Mercy, Pontiac, MI
LECOM/Wellington Med Ctr, FL
WESTUCOMP/Riverside Cty Reg, CA
Eisenhower Army Med Ctr, GA
Millcreek Comm Hosp, PA
Naval Hosp (Portsmouth) VA
KYCOM/Our Lady of Bellefonte, KY
Good Sam Reg Med Ctr, Corvalis, OR
Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA
UNECOM/Berkshire Med Ctr, MA
Chino Valley Med Ctr, CA
OUCOM/Affinity Med Ctr, OH
Looks like things worked out for them.
Yes, WCUCOM's first class really will be fine when it comes to residency. For the last 4 years all we heard was how terrible RVUCOM would do at match. SO much for that argument.
Drink the kool-aid much? It affects ppl sure. EVENTUALLY. But you have to remember, this will affect IMG's and FMG's wayyyyyyy sooner than it will DO's, and WE HAVE OUR OWN RESIDENCIES. Ppl forget that fact or seem to ignore it, thinking they will only be happy if they do ACGME Optho. Well, let me tell you, Pretty sure you could be content with Osteo optho as well. Last time I checked, they both allow you to get a job as an ophthalmologist and the money is taken by the bank the same way.

I will be applying to this school for sure next June 1st.:xf: Sorry for the long post, sometimes when I see ignorance I just have a hard time letting it go. If you don't know any better, it's probably not so good to let that idea of yours out of your head.

Unfortunately I believe residency spots are regulated and funded but the feds, not the states...

Unfortunately I believe residency spots are regulated and funded but the feds, not the states...

That is my understanding also.

My point was simply that "the sky is not falling". The Dean at WCU-COM made the comment that doctors are smart people and that we would find a way to work around whatever comes our way. I tend to believe him on this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you know I used to be in that boat as well. Then I saw the first RVUCOM match list. I remember all of the comments about how essentially it was the worst school ever and would bring about the end of the world. Yea, they were sure right weren't they...:rolleyes::

But... it didnt work out for them. There were 3-4 good matches and a whole boatload of shockingly unimpressive stuff. Like... even by DO standards... even by first graduating class of a DO school standards. Ignoring the 3-4 outliers that every school gets, it was freakishly devoid of notable ACGME matches and rather boring along the AOA matches.

That was pretty much the opinion of everyone who didn't go to RVUCOM

Yes, WCUCOM's first class really will be fine when it comes to residency. For the last 4 years all we heard was how terrible RVUCOM would do at match. SO much for that argument.

see above. Argument stands. But the argument for RVUCOM was that being a new school its AOA matches wouldnt be strong yet, which was the case, and being a for-profit school the ACGME will be very very hesitant to take them, which they were. The former is easily fixed with another class or two graduating. The latter is somethng IDK how it will be addressed. WCU only needs to concern itself with that latter "new school" issue.

With that said.... the AOA and LCME know what they're doing. They're rapidly increasing the nuber of medical schools to favor american graduate. Eventually it will put pressure on everyone, but an overwhelming percent of the pressure will fall on IMGs. Expanding too quickly? Depends. Do you think every american grad deserves to be an orthopedist? Then yes. Do you think every american grad deserves to be a doctor? Then no, not actually expanding too fast, given the accrediting bodies are responding to one crisis by creating a new (presumably more managable, idk if I agree) crisis.

Drink the kool-aid much? It affects ppl sure. EVENTUALLY. But you have to remember, this will affect IMG's and FMG's wayyyyyyy sooner than it will DO's, and WE HAVE OUR OWN RESIDENCIES. Ppl forget that fact or seem to ignore it, thinking they will only be happy if they do ACGME Optho. Well, let me tell you, Pretty sure you could be content with Osteo optho as well. Last time I checked, they both allow you to get a job as an ophthalmologist and the money is taken by the bank the same way.

I will be applying to this school for sure next June 1st.:xf: Sorry for the long post, sometimes when I see ignorance I just have a hard time letting it go. If you don't know any better, it's probably not so good to let that idea of yours out of your head.

Wait, a pre-med is telling me about residency matching, what a good match entails, and then proceeds to tell me that I am ignorant?? Haa ah aha h ah ah ahha ha im sorry thats really freakin funny. Get back to your mcat studying.

Wait, a pre-med is telling me about residency matching, what a good match entails, and then proceeds to tell me that I am ignorant?? Haa ah aha h ah ah ahha ha im sorry thats really freakin funny. Get back to your mcat studying.

Oh that's right, because by default since you're in medical school any argument you present is immediately and 100% correct versus any person not as far as you in their education. Ah, I get it. Where exactly should I bow to your holy M3/4ness?:laugh: I swear, even the ground you walk on must praise your ever-right all-knowing IQ. :rolleyes:

Sylvanthus, why don't you work on presenting a coherent counter argument like Docespana?

p.s., I just saw PNWUCOM's match list... 66.17% primary care. Lol buddy, you of all people shouldn't be saying RVUCOM's match sucks. LOL

Last edited:
Oh that's right, because by default since you're in medical school any argument you present is immediately and 100% correct versus any person not as far as you in their education. Ah, I get it. Where exactly should I bow to your holy M3/4ness?:laugh: I swear, even the ground you walk on must praise your ever-right all-knowing IQ. :rolleyes:

Justin, why don't you work on presenting a coherent counter argument like Docespana?

When you state ridiculous crap like the above and use obvious logical fallacies, there is no point and I won't waste my time arguing with you. Good luck with the mcat.

When you state ridiculous crap like the above and use obvious logical fallacies, there is no point and I won't waste my time arguing with you. Good luck with the mcat.

What exactly is ridiculous with about a 66.17% primary care match rate.. oh wait.... that's your school's statistic right off their website. I think the only logical fallacy is your "feeling" for the students of WCUCOM.

Thaks for the luck on my upcoming MCAT. You need some good luck too with the match, considering that list I saw.

What exactly is ridiculous with a 66.17% primary care match rate.. oh wait.... that's your school's statistic right off their website. I think the only logical fallacy is your "feeling" for the students of WCUCOM.

Thaks for the luck on my upcoming MCAT. You need some good luck too with the match, considering that list I saw.

I don't get your argument... how is 66.17% relevant to the argument? Each class is different! What if 66.17% of the class of 2012 at that school wanted to do PC. I know as a pre-med on SDN you assume everyone wants to do ortho or optho but medical students choose various specialties for many different reasons. Admittedly, the RVU's match list doesn't look as bad as expected but PNW's match list is not bad either especially considering it was their first class...

The problem is looking at percent primary care versus specialty or percent in ROADs tells you nothing if you had mostly primary care at community hospitals, that doesn't look too impressive, however if a school is designed to send people into that, then isn't it a success? What would matter more is how well they are trained at these residencies as well as whether students matched at their top choice, both of which are impossible to determine from a match list. WCU COM I imagine will mostly send students into primary care, but that is the entire raison d'etre for the school.

I really don't like this whole looking down on PC, FM thing.. Don't go into it if you don't want to.. Why the constant need to put it down and laugh at it?

The problem is looking at percent primary care versus specialty or percent in ROADs tells you nothing if you had mostly primary care at community hospitals, that doesn't look too impressive, however if a school is designed to send people into that, then isn't it a success? What would matter more is how well they are trained at these residencies as well as whether students matched at their top choice, both of which are impossible to determine from a match list. WCU COM I imagine will mostly send students into primary care, but that is the entire raison d'etre for the school.

At this point in our educational journey, I would say over 60% of my class and the first class will go into primary care by choice, myself included. However, there will be plenty going into non primary care residencies. This is normal for DO schools in general.

I feel for the future students when they apply to residency.

At this point in our educational journey, I would say over 60% of my class and the first class will go into primary care by choice, myself included. However, there will be plenty going into non primary care residencies. This is normal for DO schools in general.

....Which is why it's ridiculous for sylvanthus to bash the chances WCUCOM students when they go to match. Not only does he go to one of the newest DO schools, but his school has a high primary care match rate, 66.17% as I said. He's conflicted. I think that if you live in a glass house you shouldn't throw rocks.

I really don't like this whole looking down on PC, FM thing.. Don't go into it if you don't want to.. Why the constant need to put it down and laugh at it?

I was not putting it down, I was pointing out that he has his head screwed on backwards if he thinks that somehow PNWUCOM students have better match opportunities than WCUCOM will. He's in the same boat as WCUCOM and he doesn't even know it because of his own ignorance. FYI, I would go into internal medicine if i was matching today.

Last edited:
The people that down FM doctors have no idea what they're talking about. How much money a FM doctor makes depends on a lot of things. I know of several established FM doctors in my neighboring city that are making 300-400k for the record. So laugh at them while they run you over with their Porsche.

I don't get your argument... how is 66.17% relevant to the argument? Each class is different! What if 66.17% of the class of 2012 at that school wanted to do PC. I know as a pre-med on SDN you assume everyone wants to do ortho or optho but medical students choose various specialties for many different reasons. Admittedly, the RVU's match list doesn't look as bad as expected but PNW's match list is not bad either especially considering it was their first class...

It's relevant because sylvanthus thinks that somehow less-desirable primary care matches are something you should pity, as in his post i quoted above. Also, I don't think everyone wants to go into ortho or optho, the residency sucks for ortho and optho.. well optho doesn't sound that bad haha. All jokes aside, you're right about the match lists. PNWUCOM and WCUCOM match lists will probably look very similar... which is the point of my argument and why it's ridiculous for someone who goes to PNWUCOM to feel bad for WCUCOM students.

Last edited:
It's relevant because .... thinks that somehow less-desirable primary care matches are something you should pity, as in his post i quoted above. Also, I don't think everyone wants to go into ortho or optho, the residency sucks for ortho and optho.. well optho doesn't sound that bad haha. All jokes aside, you're right about the match lists. PNWUCOM and WCUCOM match lists will probably look very similar... which is the point of my argument and why it's ridiculous for someone who goes to PNWUCOM to feel bad for WCUCOM students.

Are you using his/her real name? If so, I strongly suggest that you consider deleting it ASAP! This is an anonymous forum and let's keep it that way!

It's relevant because Justin/sylvanthus thinks that somehow less-desirable primary care matches are something you should pity, as in his post i quoted above. Also, I don't think everyone wants to go into ortho or optho, the residency sucks for ortho and optho.. well optho doesn't sound that bad haha. All jokes aside, you're right about the match lists. PNWUCOM and WCUCOM match lists will probably look very similar... which is the point of my argument and why it's ridiculous for someone who goes to PNWUCOM to feel bad for WCUCOM students.

Wow, you seriously have some reading comprehension problems. Where in the world did I say anything like the bolded above? Logical fallacies man, google it sometime. With that, I am done, this is seriously ridiculous.

Wow, you seriously have some reading comprehension problems. Where in the world did I say anything like the bolded above?
...right here:
I feel for the future students when they apply to residency.
Logical fallacies man, google it sometime. With that, I am done, this is seriously ridiculous.
Oh because you weren't done 3 posts ago, that's right.

Are you using his/her real name? If so, I strongly suggest that you consider deleting it ASAP! This is an anonymous forum and let's keep it that way!

I don't know. It could be or maybe it isn't. I went ahead and axed it from my posts but it's still here in your quote of me. Either way, he used it on his posts so I think that's his problem. If he didn't want it out there, he shouldn't have written it 500 times.:idea:

I don't know. It could be or maybe it isn't. Possibly a nickname, lol. He used it on his posts so I think that's his problem. If he didn't want it out there, he shouldn't have written it 500 times.:idea:

Fair enough... :cool:

If anyone has questions about WCU and would like answers from a student there, then I would be happy to answer any questions. I have 3 tests within the next week so my response time may not be the best, but I will answer as promptly as I can.

hey if they can accept an rural student native to the area with a 24 mcat

Iam all for it!

a 24-30 mcat means nothing...to me...in terms of the health care needs of specific area...

the mcat is a joke..on all accounts

it teachs nothing and tests nothing...

Iam all for it!

a 24-30 mcat means nothing...to me...in terms of the health care needs of specific area...

it teachs nothing and tests nothing..

Wow..... that is the most ridiculously incorrect thing I've heard in a while, both from factual (it definitely tests very discrete abilities in gross memorization) and theoretical (it serves as a useful screening device) points of view. I can only assume that the MCAT was not so pleasant to you.

2f0e664e-0ec0-46f6-9d3f-ffcb8b8024a8.jpg

Makesense, thank u for trying to keep this thread on track. I will PM you this evening when I'm not restricted to my phone :)

Iam all for it!

a 24-30 mcat means nothing...to me...

It wasn't nice to him. He got a 24... I don't know why he would say what he has unless he did get that. Nobody aims for that, that's for sure. Also, who would equate a 24 with their score if they got the upper end of his range, a 30? I sure wouldn't diminish my 30 that way.. big difference between 40th~ percentile and 85th~ percentile :eek:

Iam all for it!

it teachs nothing and tests nothing...

I hope you are not serious! If so, then please do us all a favor and retake the MCAT.

I am no expect on this but they say that MCAT scores are good indicators of how a person will do on the boards.

I hope you are not serious! If so, then please do us all a favor and retake the MCAT.

I am no expect on this but they say that MCAT scores are good indicators of how a person will do on the boards.

I'm going to assume that you meant "expert". Also, this is a pretty ludicrous statement. The two tests are completely different beasts. It really is comparing apples to oranges. And just for a fun stat, my brother got a 30 on the MCAT and pulled a 258 on the USMLE. Big difference.

I'm going to assume that you meant "expert". Also, this is a pretty ludicrous statement. The two tests are completely different beasts. It really is comparing apples to oranges. And just for a fun stat, my brother got a 30 on the MCAT and pulled a 258 on the USMLE. Big difference.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he didn't say (obviously) the two were directly linked. just a general average indicator somewhat of patterns. Of COURSE there will be exceptions to the rule. Impressive feat by your brother, by the way. But I think we can all agree a 24 is a really large 'difference' from a 30.. just like a 190 is to a 258. true? simply different beasts.. roadblocks.

Its not ludicrous. There is a decent correlation between the organic section and inorganic section and step/level I board performance. Its not a crazy strong correlation, and it doesnt carry over to the verbal section, but it exists and its statistically significant if I recall correctly.

I am very interested in William Carey... and by very I mean its pretty much the only school I am considering. My question is, do you think it would be crazy of me to commute from Mobile, AL to WCU everyday? Its only 1.5 hours but that ends up being 3 hours total. I am only considering commuting because we recently bought a house in Mobile and my wife has a great job here. If I were to commute I would hope the lectures are recorded so I can at least listen to them again as I drive. I am just curious if you all think I am crazy for wanting to commute.

Also, do you think I have a competitive chance with a GPA 3.6 and a MCAT of 30? I only recently (last year) decided I wanted to go into medicine instead of Emergency Management so I just don't know if I need to boost my GPA.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am very interested in William Carey... and by very I mean its pretty much the only school I am considering. My question is, do you think it would be crazy of me to commute from Mobile, AL to WCU everyday? Its only 1.5 hours but that ends up being 3 hours total. I am only considering commuting because we recently bought a house in Mobile and my wife has a great job here. If I were to commute I would hope the lectures are recorded so I can at least listen to them again as I drive. I am just curious if you all think I am crazy for wanting to commute.

Also, do you think I have a competitive chance with a GPA 3.6 and a MCAT of 30? I only recently (last year) decided I wanted to go into medicine instead of Emergency Management so I just don't know if I need to boost my GPA.

I am not familiar with whether or not lectures are recorded at this school, however, even if it does I still think the commute would be tough. The school I am going to attend does have lectures recorded. No matter what though, there will always be time where you will have to physically be at a school -- whether it is for anatomy lab, OMM, required classes or functions, or even just going to spend time in the anatomy lab for some extra studying. I would plan on making the commute at least 3 times a week during the first year especially.

Several of my classmates are from Mobile and they all moved to Hattiesburg. With all the time you will be spending at school, then you do NOT want to deal with a daily 3 hour commute. The lectures are audiorecorded, not videorecorded. Hope this helps.

There are several of my classmates, myself included, that came to med school solo. One, who live in New Orleans, go home at least every other weekend. If you have any questions, then you can pm me.

i used to think that docespana was a very knowledgable medical student, but now that he has ties with Lord Petyr Baelish....I'm not sure if I can trust the weasel :laugh:

3.4 minimum science GPA? :( Guess I won't get into any osteopathic school then.