William Carey University - College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robynrich

Postbacc Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I'm applying for the Fall 2010 cycle and was just wondering if anyone was considering taking a shot at William Carey University - College of Medicine in Hattiesburg, MS next year. I'm from MS, so I definitely am...I just wish they would hurry up and become provisionally accredited so they can come out with more information :)

They have a dean already (he is a former DMU dean and former associate dean at PCSOM), but that's all I know. I was really looking forward to applying to schools with a PBL curriculum, and I am not sure if this school will have that type of curriculum since the only two staff members that have been announced did not come from PBL schools.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else was thinking about it or had any more information about! I'm ready to see what this school has to offer.

P.S. It will really be helpful to Mississippi as well, since we only have one medical school here (MD).

Members don't see this ad.

I was actually searching the other day for information on whether this school was still going to open or not. Since you are from Mississippi I would assume you get more information than we (outsiders) do. Are they planning to make this school PBL only or is that something you personally are hoping for??

I'm pretty sure it's still going to open (hopefully.)

Here is the link to the only official site I found about it:
http://www.wmcarey.edu/Academics/OsteopathicMedicine/1170/OsteopathicMedicine.shtm

Since they aren't accredited yet, I guess they can't advertise about it yet.
And yes, the PBL thing is definitely just a personal hope :)

I plan on applying to other DO schools, but it would be nice not to have to go TOO far away and Hattiesburg is a pretty cool town.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure it's still going to open (hopefully.)

Here is the link to the only official site I found about it:
http://www.wmcarey.edu/Academics/OsteopathicMedicine/1170/OsteopathicMedicine.shtm

Since they aren't accredited yet, I guess they can't advertise about it yet.
And yes, the PBL thing is definitely just a personal hope :)

I plan on applying to other DO schools, but it would be nice not to have to go TOO far away and Hattiesburg is a pretty cool town.

Thanks for the link. Well the closest PBL school is LECOM-B in FL which happens to be my personal favorite. :)

Thanks for the link. Well the closest PBL school is LECOM-B in FL which happens to be my personal favorite. :)

I am really interested in LECOM-B and will be applying there also. Hopefully I'll see you at some interviews next year then! The only reason I'm so concerned about WCU-COM so early is that it really isn't too long before the whole process begins...

I am really interested in LECOM-B and will be applying there also. Hopefully I'll see you at some interviews next year then! The only reason I'm so concerned about WCU-COM so early is that it really isn't too long before the whole process begins...

I thought it was suppose to open this cycle that's why I doubled checked to see when it was suppose to open and it said 2010. If they announce PBL pathway or they will be full PBL I will definitely be adding them to the list.

What schools are you planning applying to??

What schools are you planning applying to??

Probably my state school (UMMC), WCU-COM, Nova, LMU-DCOM, LECOM-B, PCOM (GA), and maybe PCSOM and LECOM-E.

As you can see, I can't handle too much cold weather! Haha.

Probably my state school (UMMC), WCU-COM, Nova, LMU-DCOM, LECOM-B, PCOM (GA), and maybe PCSOM and LECOM-E.

As you can see, I can't handle too much cold weather! Haha.

LOL I understand what you mean. Well my list includes LECOM-B, RVU, VCOM, NSU, NYCOM and OUCOM (because of the PBL pathway), PCOMs (maybe), KCUMB, AZCOM, DMU (maybe) and OSUCOM (maybe). If I had my way I would only apply to LECOM-B, but I have to be realistic here lol.

Oh and maybe Western:D I have a lot of maybes I know.

LOL I understand what you mean. Well my list includes LECOM-B, RVU, VCOM, NSU, NYCOM and OUCOM (because of the PBL pathway), PCOMs (maybe), KCUMB, AZCOM, DMU (maybe) and OSUCOM (maybe). If I had my way I would only apply to LECOM-B, but I have to be realistic here lol.

Well, best of luck at all of them! I probably won't be entirely sure of all my schools either until May rolls around. I'm already trying to save up for app. season so that I can afford the fees! If I get an interview at any school but William Carey, I might have to enlist a friend to road-trip w/ me and help pay ;) Another friend and I recently went down to Nova with a friend who was visiting campus pretty much for this reason! I really liked Nova, BTW. But yes, like you, I think that I am really sold on PBL and will be definitely trying to work the LECOM-B circuit next year!

Good Luck to you as well. Yea, I'll be looking for some cost effective ways to apply this cycle as well

I go to William Carey for undergrad, and plan to apply for the 2010 cycle at William Carey COM. I'm not certain as to the curriculum or many things related to the school. I definitely plan to apply to other D.O. schools and potentially UMC if the MCAT goes well. Good to see a fellow Mississippian on here.

I go to William Carey for undergrad, and plan to apply for the 2010 cycle at William Carey COM. I'm not certain as to the curriculum or many things related to the school. I definitely plan to apply to other D.O. schools and potentially UMC if the MCAT goes well. Good to see a fellow Mississippian on here.

Have you heard anything about rather or not they will know anything, in terms of accredidation, by June? I live in Louisiana, and I'm pretty set on DO, so LSU-S, LSU-NO, and Tulane might as well not even exist in my case. However, I'm still applying to them since they are close to home; really hoping for William Carrey though. Also, isn't it true that the school is promoting a regional (MS,AR, LA) abundance of primary care physicians to combat the shortage in these states, and not just MS's alone? I talked to the dean's secretary a few months back. She said that MS, LA,and AR residents will all be given equal preference, since the school is private and the school's mission is to increase the regional population of primary care physicians, not just that of Mississippi alone, even though for obvious reason MIssissippi will benefit more than the other two states. Hey, I'm just glad someone finally tossed us a bone, lol. With the exception of Florida and TX (mostly only accepts instate anyway)this region is basically dry when it comes to COM, so William Carrey is a breath of fresh air.

Have you heard anything about rather or not they will know anything, in terms of accredidation, by June? I live in Louisiana, and I'm pretty set on DO, so LSU-S, LSU-NO, and Tulane might as well not even exist in my case. However, I'm still applying to them since they are close to home; really hoping for William Carrey though. Also, isn't it true that the school is promoting a regional (MS,AR, LA) abundance of primary care physicians to combat the shortage in these states, and not just MS's alone? I talked to the dean's secretary a few months back. She said that MS, LA,and AR residents will all be given equal preference, since the school is private and the school's mission is to increase the regional population of primary care physicians, not just that of Mississippi alone, even though for obvious reason MIssissippi will benefit more than the other two states. Hey, I'm just glad someone finally tossed us a bone, lol. With the exception of Florida and TX (mostly only accepts instate anyway)this region is basically dry when it comes to COM, so William Carrey is a breath of fresh air.

I haven't heard anything specifically about the accreditation of the school. I will certainly try to find that out. Yeah, it is really nice to have a school in this area. It will certainly be meeting a need with regard to the area of primary care in the southeastern states, though I haven't heard anyone say specifically that that is the intention of the school.

Members don't see this ad :)

Great to see you on here, too! How is the construction of the school looking? And please do let us know anything more you find out, as I think it will probably be my #1 choice. And yeah, pretty much the ONLY reason I'm applying UMC is the in-state cost, as I think I would enjoy DO school more and that they would probably like me more, too :)

Does WCU give any special preference to Tennessee residents?

Does WCU give any special preference to Tennessee residents?

As far as I know, I would say no. There may be some special consideration that I haven't heard about, but my initial impression would be that they wouldn't.

I was just curious because TN is also contiguous to MS (along with LA and AR). I could be missing something though. Hopefully they will be accredited in 2010, because I would like to apply.

not 100% sure but i dont think u can be accredited until u graduate a class

also I hope this isnt a for-profit school

not 100% sure but i dont think u can be accredited until u graduate a class

also I hope this isnt a for-profit school

yeah, I think they will just be provisionally accredited until then, but that will be fine with me.

If you are from MS, then don't count out VCOM and Nova if you want DO. MS residents are eligible for financial aid ($13,100/yr) if they attend one of these schools. Check out the following website:

http://www.mississippi.edu/financialaid/sreb.html

Thanks for the information! They told me that when I visited Nova but I didn't know the same thing applied with VCOM.

I didnt even know they were going to have a school in MS. I wanted to apply to UMiss but since im from Texas it didnt work out. At least there is something positive if I have to try for acceptance again next year! Woo MS.

so are you guys sure that this school will open up?

cause I know a few schools that were set to open up but delayed because of the slump economy.

Unless the update and say otherwise there's no way of knowing until AACOMAS opens in May.

So, I called WCUCOM today and talked to Sandra Meeler, the dean's secretary. I told her I had some questions to ask, and she replied in the nicest way possible that they were way too busy to talk to me today. Haha. She gave me her e-mail address though, and told me to e-mail her any questions I had. I had a lot, so I sent out the e-mail this afternoon. If anyone wants her e-mail address for questions, just PM me!

It kinda makes me happy that they sounded too busy, though. Haha.

So, I called WCUCOM today and talked to Sandra Meeler, the dean's secretary. I told her I had some questions to ask, and she replied in the nicest way possible that they were way too busy to talk to me today. Haha. She gave me her e-mail address though, and told me to e-mail her any questions I had. I had a lot, so I sent out the e-mail this afternoon. If anyone wants her e-mail address for questions, just PM me!

It kinda makes me happy that they sounded too busy, though. Haha.

Well definitely update us on what her responses were. :D

You should also look into WVSOM. They have a PBL program there too. I know the tuition is steep, but their PBL program was the best I saw. LECOM schools have only one teacher helping out during PBL classes. WVSOM has both a DO and a PhD helping out.

On a different note. It is pretty cool that Mississippi is getting a DO school. This will give a lot of help to many people there.

I spoke with Sandra on Thursday, not much more info on their accreditation. She made it sound like it was going to be a while. I got an e-mail from her with some general info. I'm with everyone else on the hopes of PBL! I've been leaning towards LECOM-B. This will be good though, I live in LA, about 5 miles south of the MS border.

I just called the school and they said if they get their provisional accredidation, they will start taking applications in fall or early spring for the entering class of Fall 2010. They just got their pre-accredidation.

http://www.wmcarey.edu/news/1/257/WilliamCareyUniversi.shtm

Good stuff!

You skipped over winter!.. I'm hoping they will know by fall.. I intend to send in my application in August, and being a mississippi resident, i'm hoping that they are on there.

They have to move onto the next stage of the accreditation process in order to start taking applications.
If i'm not mistaking, this will occur, at earliest August, but realistically not until November or so.

Not sure how big the applicant pool is going to be if they don't start taking applications until then.

PunkmedGirl, when are you planning on applying for med school. LECOM-B is my #1 choice as well.

They have to move onto the next stage of the accreditation process in order to start taking applications.
If i'm not mistaking, this will occur, at earliest August, but realistically not until November or so.

Not sure how big the applicant pool is going to be if they don't start taking applications until then.
OK that's great...

PunkmedGirl, when are you planning on applying for med school. LECOM-B is my #1 choice as well.

Hi Krisss...I would love to say this year but unfortunately it will not be until next year. Are you applying this cycle??

Potentially not taking applications until later in the fall-- does this mean going back and adding the school onto everyone's AACOMAS? Isn't there a nice little fee for doing something like that?

I did my bachelors degree and masters work at WCU and worked in the admissions office as a workstudy and then employee, and the environment is wonderful. I have great hopes for the DO school. They have recently broken ground on the site for the school itself which I feel to be a positive!

The grad MBS degree is brandnew as well, but its a one year program and looks very promising. If it wouldve been in process last year I wouldve done it.

I went MD for personal reasons, but if you guys need any more info about Carey in general or anything feel free to PM me. I look forward to sharing alumnus status with you all in the future :)

I did my bachelors degree and masters work at WCU and worked in the admissions office as a workstudy and then employee, and the environment is wonderful. I have great hopes for the DO school. They have recently broken ground on the site for the school itself which I feel to be a positive!

The grad MBS degree is brandnew as well, but its a one year program and looks very promising. If it wouldve been in process last year I wouldve done it.

I went MD for personal reasons, but if you guys need any more info about Carey in general or anything feel free to PM me. I look forward to sharing alumnus status with you all in the future :)
Hey babydoc. Having worked at Wm Carey, do you know a contact person for the MBS program?

I emailed the grad office email on the website but wasn't sure if that was the best option. I'm looking for more info on the program and am either more technologically challenged than I thought or it's not on the website.

I was so excited when I head this school was opening up. DO's in MS!!!! :D

Hey, guys! I was contacted by Sandra Meeler and was led to this information:

http://www.wmcarey.edu/news/1/210/WilliamCareyAnnounce.shtm

It's information about a new graduate biomedical sciences degree that William Carey is planning to offer in the fall.

From a response to an email I sent about the MBS.
The MBS program is a 33-hour, fulltime degree housed in the School of Natural & Behavioral Sciences designed to enhance student ability to pursue a medical degree or doctoral study in the biological sciences. Acceptance into the MBS program does not guarantee admission to any other William Carey University current or future degree program. However, faculty and senior leadership from the proposed WCU College of Osteopathic Medicine will serve as primary faculty for the MBS degree.

The MBS program will utilize a cohort model over 9-months beginning each fall (late august) with courses conducted Monday - Friday from 8am until early afternoon. There will also be late afternoon courses on Fridays that should conclude by 5pm. None of the courses will have formal laboratory sessions but students will spend some time in the lab.

The curriculum includes a comprehensive study of anatomy, physiology, histology/embryology, biochemistry, and an introductory study of epidemiology, biomechanics, biostatistics, medical history, and medical education. Successful students will be expected to demonstrate proficiency in their knowledge of anatomy, physiology, biochemistry (as it applies to medicine), and knowledgeable about statistics, epidemiology, and techniques of medical education.

Admission Requirements include:
i. Bachelor’s degree or Equivalent
ii. Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) – preferred; Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Dental Admission Test (DAT) – accepted
iii. 3 Letters of recommendation (academic advisors or healthcare professionals)
iv. One page personal statement

(Due to the delay for applicants to obtain MCAT scores, it is recommended that applicants who have not taken the MCAT by the end of May 2009 take the GRE. We will accept verbal self-report of test scores with admissions decisions dependent on receipt of official score reports.)

Recommended prerequisite coursework for the MBS degree are similar to what a majority of medical schools require: inorganic chemistry (8hrs), organic chemistry (8hrs), anatomy and physiology (8hrs), physics (8hrs), advanced mathematics (3hrs). In addition, any of the following coursework would also prove beneficial: cell physiology, microbiology, and/or genetics.

You can download an application at the following website:

http://www.wmcarey.edu/Admissions/GraduateAdmissions/458/GraduateAdmissions.shtm
and
LOR from medical school will be fine. $20,000 for the one-year program (no university scholarships/assistantships are available). We have not identified a maximum number of seats, but would probably not want to exceed 30 on the high end. Seats are still available, but I would not wait if you are interested in the program.

I have already graduated, but unfortunately, I still have Physics III and Organic II to complete this fall, so I won't be applying to the MBS. I very much wish I could! If I don't get in anywhere this year, then I probably will try to do that next year. But I'm still holding out hope about WCU-COM and can't wait to apply there this year :) Just finished my AACOMAS tonight, so I'm ready to go.

Hey babydoc. Having worked at Wm Carey, do you know a contact person for the MBS program?

I emailed the grad office email on the website but wasn't sure if that was the best option. I'm looking for more info on the program and am either more technologically challenged than I thought or it's not on the website.

Yes. It's going to be Dr. Frank Baugh.

Call (601) 318-6103 and ask to be transferred to his office. That's the general admissions office number. The general graduate admissions rep isn't...um... all that helpful :)laugh:). You'll get a lot more out of Dr. Baugh :)

Yes. It's going to be Dr. Frank Baugh.

Call (601) 318-6103 and ask to be transferred to his office. That's the general admissions office number. The general graduate admissions rep isn't...um... all that helpful :)laugh:). You'll get a lot more out of Dr. Baugh :)
Thanks! Dr. Baugh is actually the one that emailed me back when I emailed the grad admissions ofc. I think they forwarded my email to him. He was very helpful, seemed rather friendly.

I'm waitlisted this cycle at LMU so I'm going to put the MBS program on my plan B and see if they'll take me while I'm reapplying. :) Since there's a holiday weekend coming up, I think I may drive down there and take a look around, see what's new in the 'burg.

grew up in Mississippi and lived there all my life before moving to TX. I think it's so GAY that UMC won't let me apply there b/c of not being a resident. we have people who come to med school here in TX who haven't even driven through the state.. enough about that... what's up with William Carey? I hope they get it added to the apps or put out some more information. I'd love to get back to my state of MS and it would be an honor to be in the entering class of this school. Please pass on any information that you have. thanks-

Just received this e-mail from Sandra Meeler Thursday:

As you all know we are going through the process of accreditation at WCU-COM and can’t advertise yet so this is an unofficial update. That being said, in March we had our first site visit from the Commission on College Accreditation (COCA.) May 4th we were granted pre-accreditation status and later that week William Carey University had a groundbreaking ceremony for the new College of Osteopathic Medicine building. Construction is currently underway with completion estimated for June 2010. The COCA inspection team will be returning the first week of August. We hope to receive provisional accreditation in September. After we have been granted provisional accreditation we will start taking applications and interviewing students. I will send out another email to let you know when this happens. We have been busy lining up rotation sites for our future student doctors in our community-based training network. We have signed affiliation agreements for student doctor training with:

Baptist Memorial, Oxford
Magnolia Regional Health Center, Corinth
Forrest General, Hattiesburg, MS
Central Mississippi Med Center, Jackson
Biloxi Regional Med Center, Biloxi
Delta Regional, Greenville
Northwest MS Regional Medical Center, Clarksdale
Marion General, Columbia
South Central Medical Center, Laurel
Rush Foundation Hospital, Meridian
More are coming in everyday

WCU-COM will be using the AACOMAS system for all applications. Please start the process of application as soon as possible. It will take time to complete and we will review those that are complete as soon as we receive Provisional Accreditation. The address for AACOMAS is:

AACOMAS
Application Services
5550 Friendship Boulevard – Suite 310
Chevy Chase, MD 20815-7231

I will try to keep you up-dated as things progress toward completion. Be sure to keep in touch and tell your friends and family what great things are happening at William Carey University and the proposed College of Osteopathic Medicine.

attach.msc

Sandra E. Meeler
Administrative Assistant
To the Vice President and Dean
William Carey University
College of Osteopathic Medicine
WCU Box 207​
498 Tuscan Avenue​
Hattiesburg, MS 39401​
601-318-6610​
601-318-6452​