William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any current students weigh in on the chances of acceptance after a defer? I'm just wondering if it was a nice way of saying no, or if I really still have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted!

I got home to an ominously thin envelope in the mail, with a single sheet of paper inside it.

I *definitely* didn't think it was an acceptance!

TaterSalad - I hope it works out for you - it would be cool if we were classmates!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!

I got home to an ominously thin envelope in the mail, with a single sheet of paper inside it.

TaterSalad - I hope it works out for you - it would be cool if we were classmates!
Congrats man! Hopefully I'll be able to say the same before it's all over.

Congrats man! Hopefully I'll be able to say the same before it's all over.

I definitely wouldn't turn down being placed on the wait list. Many were accepted off of the wait list, even up to the first week of class. If you have any questions about this status I would call the office and ask. Good luck!

Accepted!

Congrats!!! I am pretty positive I know who you are too! Hope to see you in the Fall :)

Accepted! I got a letter in the mail on Saturday and call from Dr. Weir a few days before that. I'm pretty excited. I was very impressed with the school.

Accepted! I got a letter in the mail on Saturday and call from Dr. Weir a few days before that. I'm pretty excited. I was very impressed with the school.
Hey!! Congrats!! When did Dr. Weir call you in relation to your getting the letter?!?! I'm hoping for that phone call so bad -- the phone is attached to my hand right now.

Hey!! Congrats!! When did Dr. Weir call you in relation to your getting the letter?!?! I'm hoping for that phone call so bad -- the phone is attached to my hand right now.
I interviewed on November 1st, got a phone call November 7th, and received the letter in the mail November 16th.

Accepted! Interviewed on November 15th and got the call yesterday

Anyone interviewing here the 2nd?

My application has been complete for almost a month now and still no secondary or anything? Did anyone else have a similar wait time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Both of you should call them. They are extremely helpful over the phone.

I applied a little late... Verified at AACOMAS mid November. I just got a secondary from here. I was looking at the school mission, which in part states:
By using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and international mission field.

I have never heard of a "community-based training model" and was wondering if anyone (especially current students) could explain it to me?
Thanks!

I have never heard of a community-based training model" and was wondering if anyone (especially current students) could explain it to me?
Thanks!

The way I understood it was it involved how your rotation sites were located. I.e. if you were assigned to the core site in Lafayette, Louisiana, all your rotations are within a 50 mile radius. In essence you are training in a single community.

Rejected pre-secondary... good luck to all of you guys interviewing at WCU-COM and congrats to those who have been accepted here.

Rejected pre-secondary... good luck to all of you guys interviewing at WCU-COM and congrats to those who have been accepted here.

Sorry about that. When was your primary released? It's been about a month - nothing for me.

Sorry about that. When was your primary released? It's been about a month - nothing for me.
released on 11/21. I called today because I had no response from them. The lady I spoke with asked me if I planed on retaking my mcat in January, I told her most likely not. She stated that it was below their average and that I needed to retake it.

released on 11/21. I called today because I had no response from them. The lady I spoke with asked me if I planed on retaking my mcat in January, I told her most likely not. She stated that it was below their average and that I needed to retake it.

do you mind sharing what their average gpa for secondary was?

What were your stats, if you don't mind my asking?

not at all. 3.79, 3.69, MCAT 22 8P, 6V, 8B

Gotcha. Last year they sent me a secondary with 4.0, 4.0, 21 MCAT, but I didn't get an interview.

I got accepted here with a 24 this time around.

Gotcha. Last year they sent me a secondary with 4.0, 4.0, 21 MCAT, but I didn't get an interview.

I got accepted here with a 24 this time around.
Im glad you got accepted this time around!.. Congrats!.. It looks like a good school. Im keeping positive for other schools though!

Interviewed here on the 6th of December. I was thoroughly impressed with this school and it has definitely moved to the top of my list. Hoping for an acceptance!

Interviewed here on the 6th of December. I was thoroughly impressed with this school and it has definitely moved to the top of my list. Hoping for an acceptance!

I'm glad to hear this. After interviewing recently at my #1 and being (a little) underwhelmed, I am more excited about seeing WCU in february. I don't dig the mandatory attendance though. Is the lecture hall(s) large enough where I can sit in the back and do my own thing?

I definitely wouldn't turn down being placed on the wait list. Many were accepted off of the wait list, even up to the first week of class. If you have any questions about this status I would call the office and ask. Good luck!

So how laxed is the attendance policy at William Carey nowadays?

I'm glad to hear this. After interviewing recently at my #1 and being (a little) underwhelmed, I am more excited about seeing WCU in february. I don't dig the mandatory attendance though. Is the lecture hall(s) large enough where I can sit in the back and do my own thing?

Yeah, a few students told me they usually sit in the back and listen to music while studying for other classes, so I assume you can do your own thing without a problem.

The attendance policy is 80% for most classes, some are 100%. I will admit that it does not work for everyone. Typically you can do your own thing as long as you're not disturbing the class.

To be quite honest, I am one of those people that would prefer not having an attendance policy due to my preferred style of learning. However, I still get things done during class even if the particular lecture is not my "cup of tea". The benefit of having an attendance policy is that you can learn at the beginning what classes are lecture dependent and which classes it is better to read the book before, etc.

The attendance policy is 80% for most classes, some are 100%. I will admit that it does not work for everyone. Typically you can do your own thing as long as you're not disturbing the class.

To be quite honest, I am one of those people that would prefer not having an attendance policy due to my preferred style of learning. However, I still get things done during class even if the particular lecture is not my "cup of tea". The benefit of having an attendance policy is that you can learn at the beginning what classes are lecture dependent and which classes it is better to read the book before, etc.
How many hours per day would you say you study once you finish classes? The reason I ask is because I know someone who attends a strict attendance DO school and he's working 8am to 10pm most days, and I know someone at a DO school with no attendance policy and he works 10 am to 5-6pm most days. Both state that their schedule is dependent on the attendance policy.

Last edited:
It honestly depends on the day how much I study and EVERYONE is different. I say everyone in caps because that is one of the main things people have to learn once you get to medical school, it sounds stupid, but it is amazing how much people compare their study habits to others.

Anyways, I would say that I am at school from typically 8 AM to 3 PM-ish every day. I usually spend 5 nights a week studying from after dinner until I go to bed. However, I am different than many because I have no family/kids here in Hattiesburg. Others just stay at school later then come home and have the evenings off. Some get up at 5 AM and come to school early to get things done. Every person has their own way of doing things.

I don't know that I would study less if I wasn't at school (in a no attendance policy). Generally, even if there was no attendance policy I would still be at school for the majority of the time. Also, just because other schools say that they do not have an attendance policy does not mean that some classes do not require attendance. If you have anatomy lab, you are probably going to want to attend. OP&P is a very hands-on experience. I'm not sure how these classes would ever be "skip-able" (for lack of a better word).

Once again, I will stress to not just form your opinion of how much you should study from my previous statements. The first month of medical school you will adjust your study habits and settle into your own study schedule no matter an attendance policy or not.

It honestly depends on the day how much I study and EVERYONE is different. I say everyone in caps because that is one of the main things people have to learn once you get to medical school, it sounds stupid, but it is amazing how much people compare their study habits to others.

Anyways, I would say that I am at school from typically 8 AM to 3 PM-ish every day. I usually spend 5 nights a week studying from after dinner until I go to bed. However, I am different than many because I have no family/kids here in Hattiesburg. Others just stay at school later then come home and have the evenings off. Some get up at 5 AM and come to school early to get things done. Every person has their own way of doing things.

I don't know that I would study less if I wasn't at school (in a no attendance policy). Generally, even if there was no attendance policy I would still be at school for the majority of the time. Also, just because other schools say that they do not have an attendance policy does not mean that some classes do not require attendance. If you have anatomy lab, you are probably going to want to attend. OP&P is a very hands-on experience. I'm not sure how these classes would ever be "skip-able" (for lack of a better word).

Once again, I will stress to not just form your opinion of how much you should study from my previous statements. The first month of medical school you will adjust your study habits and settle into your own study schedule no matter an attendance policy or not.
Thanks again for your insights and experiences. Looking forward to seeing WCU.

Accepted!!!
Just got the phone call!

Almost a week since I interviewed and still no call. The committee met Monday so hopefully that doesn't mean a rejection, it would be nice to stop freaking out any time now. :scared:

Still haven't received a secondary and I've been complete since mid-November. Anyone else in the same boat? I haven't even received any confirmation that they received my primary, except what is listed on AACOMAS

Still haven't received a secondary and I've been complete since mid-November. Anyone else in the same boat? I haven't even received any confirmation that they received my primary, except what is listed on AACOMAS

Same :(

Mind if I ask your stats? Maybe a part of it. I know they have some regional bias,...

I was complete in AACOMAS 11/21. I received a secondary on 12/4. I live in GA, but graduated HS (just showing ties) in AL. 3.48 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, 26 MCAT (7V, 8B, 11P edited, sry it didn't make sense before)... hope that helps!

Last edited:
I was complete in AACOMAS 11/28. I received my secondary 12/10. LA resident, non-trad, did SMP that they really like (3.56 gpa). 3.46 UG cGPA, 3.14 UG sGPA, MCAT 27 (9/10/8).

I just got an interview with WCUCOM and it is not until March. Is that a late interview and should I be concerned about it being so late? Thanks for the help!

I just got an interview with WCUCOM and it is not until March. Is that a late interview and should I be concerned about it being so late? Thanks for the help!

I'll let someone more qualified answer your question, but when were you complete for your secondary to just now get an ii? I'm trying to judge the lag time. Thanks!

My secondary application was complete on 12/11 and they emailed me about an interview on Monday.