William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an interview with WCUCOM and it is not until March. Is that a late interview and should I be concerned about it being so late? Thanks for the help!

Don't be concerned. Do your best in your interview. It means they want you here.

We have people in my class that were accepted during orientation. This process is daunting and there is no clear logic to it all. Just know that since you got an interview, the ball is in your court. Impress them on interview day.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't be concerned. Do your best in your interview. It means they want you here.

We have people in my class that were accepted during orientation. This process is daunting and there is no clear logic to it all. Just know that since you got an interview, the ball is in your court. Impress them on interview day.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help! I was excited to hear back that I was getting an interview, but I felt uneasy about how late the interview was going to be. Just gives me a lot of time to think over the interview. Again, thanks a lot for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
This surprises me since I know a person who got an interview here with a 22 mcat (lower verbal than 6), but higher gpa.
that sucks,, but i guess the higher gpa got them their interview...

This is for the 4th years. Can anyone post of the interview season for the graduating class. Comments on how it's going and how the process has been with the school.

Reactions: 1 user
II received today... I applied late, but this is the first II I've received. SO EXCITED!!! The only downer is that it is on Mar 24th... As this isn't my TOP choice, I guess March gives me the "advantage" of interviewing elsewhere first, right?

Last edited:
We haven't been told board scores yet, but I'm sure we can get statistics on attrition. I will try to get that info and post here as soon as possible.

Did ya'll find out the board scores yet? Is about to be January.

Did ya'll find out the board scores yet? Is about to be January.

They haven't told us yet.. but I've heard rumors that they aren't much better than the last year's average. I'll try to get those numbers this week if I can. I understand that it's important to have that info!

Oh! That's discouraging:(. What could be the reason, is it their curriculum or students preparation? Heard about Boot camp, any comments? Could any 4th years chime in if they got any interviews in AOA or ACGME programs?

Oh! That's discouraging:(. What could be the reason, is it their curriculum or students preparation? Heard about Boot camp, any comments? Could any 4th years chime in if they got any interviews in AOA or ACGME programs?

I'm betting it's a combination of both. Students must realize that the school provides the foundation for board study, but it's up to the student to really ace the material beyond what is required on class. I've heard of students who make all A's in their classes, but have trouble with boards. Also, students who make almost all C's who ace the boards. For me, I made pretty much all B's last semester, and did pretty well on the board prep exams. I place an emphasis on board study when I am studying for class (practice questions, etc).

The curriculum has been overhauled, and an increase in board scores may not be seen until the current second and first years go through. But I haven't gotten the board scores yet... So maybe they have increased. But I'm guessing if it was significant, we would have been told.

Don't let that discourage you though. I think the school is really working hard to make sure we do better. But like I said, the responsibility is really on the individual student.

I don't know anything about boot camp. A second year will have to answer that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still haven't received a secondary but I called and was told that I'm still under consideration. Has anyone else received this response?

I'm betting it's a combination of both. Students must realize that the school provides the foundation for board study, but it's up to the student to really ace the material beyond what is required on class. I've heard of students who make all A's in their classes, but have trouble with boards. Also, students who make almost all C's who ace the boards. For me, I made pretty much all B's last semester, and did pretty well on the board prep exams. I place an emphasis on board study when I am studying for class (practice questions, etc).

The curriculum has been overhauled, and an increase in board scores may not be seen until the current second and first years go through. But I haven't gotten the board scores yet... So maybe they have increased. But I'm guessing if it was significant, we would have been told.

Don't let that discourage you though. I think the school is really working hard to make sure we do better. But like I said, the responsibility is really on the individual student.

I don't know anything about boot camp. A second year will have to answer that.

Whovian, is there anyway you could get a few 3rd, 4th years to stop by SDN? Some of them have posted in the past.

Whovian, is there anyway you could get a few 3rd, 4th years to stop by SDN? Some of them have posted in the past.

I will put the word out there... But they are all on rotations (remember, they don't get breaks). If you compile questions, I can try to have some of them answer and I'll relay it back. That might work better.

Hey guys! I plan to stop by Dr. Weir's office today--possibly tomorrow--to see about board scores and to see if I can get an updated list for the facebook group for the Class of 2018 woot woot!! So I will let y'all know as soon as I know anything :) Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season!

We(current 2nd years) were told that WCUCOM has a 100% COMLEX pass rate for all students who completed the boards boot camp program that is provided.

I was sent and completed a secondary, but was told the sane response when I called to ask if there was any progress on my application. It's frustrating, but it's also the Christmas break... I'm hoping that is what is responsible it.
I'm in the same boat, left a message last week. I guess they're still on Christmas Break

Glad to hear 100% comlex pass rate. Any body take Usmle? What's the pass rate? Like to hear from graduating class how's the interview season for the residencies? Any comments or suggestions about audition rotation sites, any DO friendly ACGME programs that you interviewed. Your experiences about the process. And 3rd years about your specific Hub Sites pros and Cons. Thanks in advance.

Okay everyone, I have set up the facebook page for the class. If you have not been contacted then you either have a very popular name or I could not find you. If you have not been added then please search WCUCOM Class of 2018 and request to be added. You WILL NOT be added until I receive your name from the office. Also, the class page is for those who have reserved a seat in the class-not just for those who have been accepted. Cheers!

If you cannot find it or do not accept friends without knowing them--which I understand--feel free to message me on here!

I will be canceling my interview invite here for Friday Jan 24th. Just a heads up for those looking for an invite or looking for an earlier interview date! Best of luck to everyone!!

If any 3rd or 4th year WCU students see this thread could you please please pm me.

Ok, guys...

Those of you that have specific questions for 3rd or 4th years, let me know. I have some that will answer them for you and I will relay the info.

You can also pm me if you want instead.

Hey guys, I'm sorry cause this question has been asked many times, but can anyone give me any insight into the interview? I have one coming up and I'm beginning to get nervous. It's only my 2nd one this cycle so I don't have much experience under my belt. My last one I was so nervous that the words barely came out of my mouth lol. Thanks a lot guys!

Just an FYI: I have asked for board scores and was told that they will be publicly posted once they have released them. They said for confidentiality reasons they will not be giving me the information yet. If you have any concerns/issues feel free to contact the office. My guess is that when I know they will have been publicly released and thus you will also know. I am sorry if this is an inconvenience.

Hey guys, I'm sorry cause this question has been asked many times, but can anyone give me any insight into the interview? I have one coming up and I'm beginning to get nervous. It's only my 2nd one this cycle so I don't have much experience under my belt. My last one I was so nervous that the words barely came out of my mouth lol. Thanks a lot guys!

The interview is VERY relaxed. It will be you and 3 faculty (a Dean, a PhD/MD, a DO). Be very comfortable answering why you want to be a physician, why you want to practice osteopathic medicine, and why you want to attend a school in the gulf south. If you have strengths, speak to them. If you have weaknesses, be prepared to have an explanation. There is one ethical question (I think). Be able confident and you will make it very far. Also keep in mind, if they are interviewing you then they really are interested in you.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

^thanks for your advice I really appreciate it! Hopefully I'll receive good news after the interview!!

I just officially declined my acceptance. Hopefully one of you SDN'ers will fill the opening.

Does anyone know how full the class is so far?
I interviewed recently and one of the faculty members made it sound like they have quite a few spots left. If I am accepted I will be declining the spot.

Hi, I have been accepted and am potentially looking for roommate. I do not have facebook so message me on here if you are looking a roommate as well. Thanks

Wondering how the 1st Graduating class did in the AOA Matching yesterday. Could anybody post about the process(is the school helpful) or in which programs they have matched. Still haven't heard about the COMLEX or USMLE scores.

I went to Hattiesburg for a tour of the school on 02/10/2014. The school looks awesome! Met with Dr. Weir who was very informative. Hattiesburg is a cool little town. Hardy street has everything you can think of to eat or shop.

I realize many hold out for acgme, but those numbers are still kind of scary.

They were to us as well, however we found out today that after the "scramble" we matched 97% of those who applied through the AOA match.

Keep in kind also, these number are pretty good since this is out first match compared to more established schools.

I have no doubt the Class of 2015 will match well... and even less doubt about my own class matching.

I realize many hold out for acgme, but those numbers are still kind of scary.

I am currently a 4th year at WCUCOM. I did not participate in the AOA match (only doing ACGME). I agree that the numbers are scary, and the whole "97% matched after the scramble" statement does not make it any better. Nobody wants to scramble. However, I do not put the blame for this solely on the school. Some of the blame for these numbers falls on the individuals themselves. There were members of my class who applied for specialties that they were, in my opinion, not competitive for. Granted, do I think our administration could have done a better job of counseling us, & in some cases just giving a healthy dose of reality to some of us, without a doubt, yes. But, at the end of the day each person is responsible for being honest with themselves, and many in my class did not do a good job of this. It will be interesting to see the final numbers after the ACGME match.

When does the 3rd yr rotations start? Aug 1st? Any advice or comments on 4th yr Audition Rotation sites...
Does DO school give AOA(Alpha Omega Alpha Honor) or Class Rank?

Hey, everyone! I gave up my interview spot today for Monday, March 17th! I hope that it opens up the doors for one of you who is waiting to hear back. Best of luck to all on your cycle! :)

So far I've received masters acceptances from barry, usf, pcom, mississippi college. Does anyone know if William Carey offers just interviews or automatic acceptances to their med school for their SMP students that perform well in their program.

So far I've received masters acceptances from barry, usf, pcom, mississippi college. Does anyone know if William Carey offers just interviews or automatic acceptances to their med school for their SMP students that perform well in their program.

Students in the masters program will apply as usual. They will go through the usual vetting process. However, I will say that if you are a masters student at WCUCOM and are doing well with the current courses, an interview is to be expected. Completing our masters program, which includes taking the medical school courses along with medical students, is obviously a very good indicator for how well you would do as a medical student in our program.

In Layman's terms, if you do well in the masters program you will receive an interview in the Spring for the cycle you apply for typically.

ok thanks for the advice. Did you complete their masters program or from your experience as a med student there do the majority of their BMS students get granted interviews?

ok thanks for the advice. Did you complete their masters program or from your experience as a med student there do the majority of their BMS students get granted interviews?
No, I personally did not complete a masters program (from WCUCOM or anywhere else). I can say that the return rate seems to be quite high for those who apply from the masters program. I know that in my class there are about 10 from the masters program last year. Also, keep in mind that some may have been a part of the masters program, but their end goal was something other than medical school--such as dental school/pharm school/etc. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Also, if you PM I can possibly give you some contacts for previous masters students that are now in my COM class, if you would like to ask them personally. Overall, I believe those that took the masters program found that it was EXTREMELY valuable for their first year of medical school!

Do any of the current students have access to this year's match list? I'm interested in some competitive specialties and given that this is the first year for WCUCOM's match, I want to see what kind of competitive specialties students here match in.