William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received notice that I've been wait listed. Pretty bummed. Anyone know what the general chances are being on the wait list?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Last year it was about 50/50 if you got there before December and after alittle bit less. Remember they interview all the way to the very last day and they only use the waitlist for people that never show up for orientation or they cant fill those last interviews. It used to be a pretty ok thing to be waitlisted here but now it really isnt that great. I recommend you treat it like a rejection. If you have a back up plan execute it, if not time to build one. If your MCAT score is less than the national average of matriculants retake it until you get there. You may also want to do a Special masters program in between application cycles. Also apply early ( app marked complete by October) but never early decision program and apply to no less than 20 schools that your scores and interests match up to, this will increase your chances. Finally be patient it can take multiple cycles to get into medical school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Last year it was about 50/50 if you got there before December and after alittle bit less. Remember they interview all the way to the very last day and they only use the waitlist for people that never show up for orientation or they cant fill those last interviews. It used to be a pretty ok thing to be waitlisted here but now it really isnt that great. I recommend you treat it like a rejection. If you have a back up plan execute it, if not time to build one. If your MCAT score is less than the national average of matriculants retake it until you get there. You may also want to do a Special masters program in between application cycles. Also apply early ( app marked complete by October) but never early decision program and apply to no less than 20 schools that your scores and interests match up to, this will increase your chances. Finally be patient it can take multiple cycles to get into medical school.

Do you like to just bring people down? You said the same thing to last year's wait list, but I looked at last year's thread where they started accepting wait list with 2 months to spare. They interview until the last day of what? April?

Do you like to just bring people down? You said the same thing to last year's wait list, but I looked at last year's thread where they started accepting wait list with 2 months to spare. They interview until the last day of what? April?

The interview until the class is full. Last year that was May and could have even June but I doubt the source. They can interview right up to the first day of orientation. They can take you off the waitlist at anytime but they only do this when the interviews stop filling up the class. The time frame for this changes with the competitiveness of the cycle and with administrative changes. A 50/50 shot or less isnt bad but if you wait for it and dont get it, well not much chance for improvement which is why I advice everybody to take it as a rejection and take steps towards a back up plan. If you happen to be on the waitlist you could just wait around and do nothing hoping to be one of those select few that happens to get in off the waitlist.

If this message brings you down good! Life is hard, med school is harder.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Keep in mind sdn reflects a very narrow window of what is actually going on in the med school world.
I would also like to point out that when they start pulling people from the waitlist it doesnt flow like other schools. Here at Carey there is no clear cut waitlist season per say as Carey will interview until they run out of people or time. Think of it more like this, when you apply and are marked complete they review you and give you a score. If that score is where they like you they interview you. After that interview they score you again. If you have met all the requirements and the score is where they want it they accept you. If you are missing something or they score you to low they waitlist you. They really dont openly reject people so unless someone told you need to complete X y or Z the only way you can get in is for those that are still interviewing to score less than you AND the admins have to notice this. This is a little different than most med schools and it can confuse people.
You know how your interview went. Were there any questions you didnt answer well? Did you only give textbook answers to ethics and why DO? Did you properly address your weak academic performance?

Dont feel bad if you dont get in on your first try. I didnt. I went through two SMPs and three application cycles. Most of the people at Carey had a very similar app cycle experience. Dont take my advice/comments personal nor should you take it as gospel. I have a very different perspective than you guys because I am in. Just do yourself a favor and keep moving. A waitlist is not for sitting around hoping to get in. Start a plan so that you can improve your chances for next cycle(retake MCAT, SMPs, Americorp, med scribing, ect). What is the harm in applying to a few special masters programs and retaking your MCAT( if it needs improvement) ? If Carey takes you off the waitlist you can still go to Carey.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know the dates of orientation and white coat ceremony.

i believe that the dates of orientation are 07/25 - 07/27 and classes start 07/28.

Edit: Just nevermind I give up. I am not going to get attacked on a forum for trying to meet new people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey, guys! I will be attending William Carey this Fall as a first year.
I know that there will be an official page made soon, but I went ahead and made an unofficial Facebook page for us to get together and all meet up in a POSITIVE environment.

To search for it: WCUCOM Class of 2020 (unofficial)

This link might work:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/776224365842393/

EDIT: There IS an official page, BUT still feel free to add this page too!

What is this positive environment? I mean there are quite a few people here on sdn that are happy to help, even somebody in admin... Confused????

If the scheduling is the same, white coat ceremony should be either the 13th or 20th of August

I spoke with Ms. Day recently and she said the white coat ceremony would be August 6th for anyone still wondering.

Reactions: 4 users
So, just wanted to throw in my $.02 and reiterate a few things that previous posters have mentioned.

Having interviewed at both D.O. and M.D. schools, WCU has, hands down, the most intelligent admissions process I've seen. They don't send out tons of secondaries, they don't interview 100 people at a time, and they use the same interviewers for all applicants on a given day. (How can a given set of candidates be fairly evaluated if they're evaluated by different people???) Everyone I met during the interview process was genuine and seemed genuinely interested in me; that's rare and I appreciated it.

WCU's campus is pretty small, pretty pretty, and, if you spend an extra 5 minutes to drive past the hospital and Southern Miss, you'll find that Hattiesburg is pretty nice.

If you're on the fence about attending their interview, I'd highly recommend that you do so.

Reactions: 2 users

Speaking from personal experience (I was waitlisted, and sat down with admin shortly after to find out what the actual process was going to be from that point until the end of the cycle), don't automatically treat the waitlist as a rejection. Definitely explore your other options, but don't count WCUCOM as a lost cause. There may have been a few changes to the admission process since last year, but I imagine it is basically the same (depending on the number and statistics of the applicants this year). Interviews were conducted until the end of April or first week of May. After this, there was a final committee meeting where they filled remaining openings in the class (some from the existed waitlist/deferral pile) and compiled a final, ranked waitlist. Students were accepted from this waitlist as early as May (me) and as late as the day or two before orientation. In general, WCU doesn't necessarily try to fill the class quickly. They will accept their favorites immediately after interview; the rest they tend to hold on to until later in the cycle. That way they can consider the class as a whole before making their final admission and waitlist decisions. Again, things could roll completely differently this cycle but that it how it worked last year.

Also, just to clarify...were you officially waitlisted or were you deferred? Because they are treated differently. If you were deferred, their official decision was "no decision" and your application will be reconsidered at every committee meeting between now and the end of the cycle. You may be accepted (or waitlisted, or rejected) at any time. If you are waitlisted you will be reconsidered at that final meeting later in the cycle. If you've already discussed that and I just missed it, my apologies. It's been a long week.

Edit: As far as credibility of the source goes, I was an MBS student last year. Basically either myself or one of my classmates was bugging admin with questions at least once a week during this process. Honestly. Mrs. Donna Day probably moved to her new office with the hope that we wouldn't be able to find her. :D So unless we were fed a total line of B.S., it should be fairly accurate.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking from personal experience (I was waitlisted, and sat down with admin shortly after to find out what the actual process was going to be from that point until the end of the cycle), don't automatically treat the waitlist as a rejection. Definitely explore your other options, but don't count WCUCOM as a lost cause. There may have been a few changes to the admission process since last year, but I imagine it is basically the same (depending on the number and statistics of the applicants this year). Interviews were conducted until the end of April or first week of May. After this, there was a final committee meeting where they filled remaining openings in the class (some from the existed waitlist/deferral pile) and compiled a final, ranked waitlist. Students were accepted from this waitlist as early as May (me) and as late as the day or two before orientation. In general, WCU doesn't necessarily try to fill the class quickly. They will accept their favorites immediately after interview; the rest they tend to hold on to until later in the cycle. That way they can consider the class as a whole before making their final admission and waitlist decisions. Again, things could roll completely differently this cycle but that it how it worked last year.

Also, just to clarify...were you officially waitlisted or were you deferred? Because they are treated differently. If you were deferred, their official decision was "no decision" and your application will be reconsidered at every committee meeting between now and the end of the cycle. You may be accepted (or waitlisted, or rejected) at any time. If you are waitlisted you will be reconsidered at that final meeting later in the cycle. If you've already discussed that and I just missed it, my apologies. It's been a long week.

Edit: As far as credibility of the source goes, I was an MBS student last year. Basically either myself or one of my classmates was bugging admin with questions at least once a week during this process. Honestly. Mrs. Donna Day probably moved to her new office with the hope that we wouldn't be able to find her. :D So unless we were fed a total line of B.S., it should be fairly accurate.

I was deferred. I assumed that was considered the wait list.

I was deferred. I assumed that was considered the wait list.

That's good! That means you're still being actively considered for admission, rather than sitting on the waitlist. Good luck. :)

So I was accepted February 7th and was wondering what the official (or unofficial) Facebook page is! The link above doesn't work.

So I was accepted February 7th and was wondering what the official (or unofficial) Facebook page is! The link above doesn't work.

When you send in your deposit the welcoming committee will send you a link to the group :)

I just got an email for new student weekend! It sounds awesome. Who will be there?

When you send in your deposit the welcoming committee will send you a link to the group :)

Is this the case for everyone? The welcoming committee didn't send me a link to the FB group after my deposit was received. However I don't have a FB account so that could explain why.

Is this the case for everyone? The welcoming committee didn't send me a link to the FB group after my deposit was received. However I don't have a FB account so that could explain why.
I didn't receive an email for the facebook group following my deposit either. If you message me here I'll give you instructions on how to join the facebook group!

Also, I wish I could go to new student weekend!! I live in NY currently and they didn't allot me enough time to get a reasonable flight down :(

Last edited:
I didn't receive an email for the facebook group following my deposit either. If you message me here I'll give you instructions on how to join the facebook group!

Also, I wish I could go to new student weekend!! I live in NY currently and they didn't allot me enough time to get a reasonable flight down :(allot

I live in NY too. I wish I could have went too but I work during the weekend unfortunately.

Also, I wish I could go to new student weekend!! I live in NY currently and they didn't allot me enough time to get a reasonable flight down :(
Can anyone give us link to join the Facebook group of 2020 class .

Have any of the 6 from the 3/28 interview heard back yet?

Just got word that I'll be interviewing on April 18th! What can I expect? I know that I'm late in the game, but should that hinder my chances of getting in? Thanks!

Just got accepted today from a 4/1 interview! Really excited about this school.

Just got word that I'll be interviewing on April 18th! What can I expect? I know that I'm late in the game, but should that hinder my chances of getting in? Thanks!
It is very likely you will be accepted. The interview is designed to wow you into coming to Carey. Normally being this late at most schools puts you on the waitlist, not so of Carey. They accept the same number of interviewees early as they do late. Yes that means you too those of you reading this with a may interview.
A word of caution if you have an acceptance some place else be very critical and ask lots of questions to help you make a wise choice. Med school is a long long time to be unhappy.

It is very likely you will be accepted. The interview is designed to wow you into coming to Carey. Normally being this late at most schools puts you on the waitlist, not so of Carey. They accept the same number of interviewees early as they do late. Yes that means you too those of you reading this with a may interview.
A word of caution if you have an acceptance some place else be very critical and ask lots of questions to help you make a wise choice. Med school is a long long time to be unhappy.

sooo jealous of all of yall

Thanks for the response! I've also had a few recommendations from current and previous students to Dr. Weir. Do you know if he puts much weight on student recommendations? Thanks!

@WorldChanger36 What type of computer do you recommend? Should we get a tablet style like the surface pro or a regular laptop like a MacBook air?

Congratulations! I hope to join you here soon. What was the interview like?

very conversational and easy. Mostly just the basic questions and then an ethical question! just be yourself!

Worldchanger, you said earlier that there is a good chance that I get accepted since I have an interview. Is there anything particular I should avoid in the interview so as to not turn them off? I know the best thing to do is just be myself, but if there's something I shouldn't bring up, I'd like to be aware.

One more thing, I was reading in the 2014-2015 discussion thread that attending classes are mandatory. Is that still the case? And what does the weekly schedule look like as far as the amount of class time goes?

what's with med students and NOT wanting to go to class?

Some students are better at studying by themselves. Time is a limited resource in medical school and forcing students who don't learn through lectures to go to class creates unhappy students.

Worldchanger, you said earlier that there is a good chance that I get accepted since I have an interview. Is there anything particular I should avoid in the interview so as to not turn them off? I know the best thing to do is just be myself, but if there's something I shouldn't bring up, I'd like to be aware.
I wouldnt talk about how OMT is useless and MDs are obviously better doctor and DOs are little more than expensive chiropractors.
If you have bad grades talk about it and make sure you explain a clear plan to avoid it in the future. When you get the ethics question weigh both sides but TAKE a side and defend it.

One more thing, I was reading in the 2014-2015 discussion thread that attending classes are mandatory. Is that still the case? And what does the weekly schedule look like as far as the amount of class time goes?
Most classes have 80 mandatory attendance some 100 percent. The typical day is 9 to 3.

what's with med students and NOT wanting to go to class?
There are many reasons but the main one is time allotment. When you have a test coming up the last thing you want to do is sit for hours in classes that have nothing to do with that test. Other times the lecture could be not helpful and your time could be better spent else where. In second year you have to find time to study for boards. You will learn the value of your time in med school.

There are many reasons but the main one is time allotment. When you have a test coming up the last thing you want to do is sit for hours in classes that have nothing to do with that test. Other times the lecture could be not helpful and your time could be better spent else where. In second year you have to find time to study for boards. You will learn the value of your time in med school.

Hey WC,

I'm still trying to decide where to attend. Any chance mandatory attendance will be dropped and/or IT issues will be resolved in time for the upcoming class??

Hey WC,

I'm still trying to decide where to attend. Any chance mandatory attendance will be dropped and/or IT issues will be resolved in time for the upcoming class??
Nope. Attendance requirements may actually be tightened. Any and all issues will still be issues when you get here. Its just a thing we all deal with here.

Mac mac mac.... Please get a mac. Everybody who has had major issues had a surface pro

OMS-2 here. I second the Mac. I had a cheap windows laptop that got me through 1st year and a couple of months into 2nd before it died. I traded up to a Macbook Pro and have had no issues at all.

Hey incoming OMS1 that are coming to the crawfish boil coming up. I recommend you guys use this time wisely and meet with the future OMS 2 and OMS 3 that will be at the boil. Start setting up connections and ask the hard questions. While it is cool to mingle with your new class keep in mind they really cant tell you all that much and you will have a whole week of orientation with them. Branch out, both mine and the future OMS 3 are a great bunch and are happy to help you guys out.