William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else on here have an interview on the 18th?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hey incoming OMS1 that are coming to the crawfish boil coming up. I recommend you guys use this time wisely and meet with the future OMS 2 and OMS 3 that will be at the boil. Start setting up connections and ask the hard questions. While it is cool to mingle with your new class keep in mind they really cant tell you all that much and you will have a whole week of orientation with them. Branch out, both mine and the future OMS 3 are a great bunch and are happy to help you guys out.

What are the hard questions we should ask?
And what type of connections should we be setting up?

What are the hard questions we should ask?
And what type of connections should we be setting up?
Ask about Pitfalls you want to avoid or about something you felt was answered too vaguely.

You will have the option to be set up with an OMS 2 as a peer mentor called your big doc. The boil is a good chance to meet some of the individuals that will be apart of this. It will also help you network with OMS 2 and OMS 3 that can help you get through. Your first year in med school is hell. You will need every bit of help and support you can get from upper class persons.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey incoming OMS1 that are coming to the crawfish boil coming up. I recommend you guys use this time wisely and meet with the future OMS 2 and OMS 3 that will be at the boil. Start setting up connections and ask the hard questions. While it is cool to mingle with your new class keep in mind they really cant tell you all that much and you will have a whole week of orientation with them. Branch out, both mine and the future OMS 3 are a great bunch and are happy to help you guys out.

Will they have another event like this before class begins? The hail storm hit hard in my area took out our vehicles and there are no rentals available anywhere in the city. Is this the only event they will have if they are still interviewing?

Will they have another event like this before class begins? The hail storm hit hard in my area took out our vehicles and there are no rentals available anywhere in the city. Is this the only event they will have if they are still interviewing?
Nope next event is orientation.

Hey all! I was accepted off a 3/28 interview and look forward to meeting all of you in person :)

I clicked on the facebook group link for the upcoming 2020 class and it did not work, could someone please PM me the group link?

I also have a couple more questions about the process before starting classes. I did not receive any information about required immunizations / drug testing / first day of class yet, only the official letter. Could someone fill me in on these topics? Thank you so much.

Hey all! I was accepted off a 3/28 interview and look forward to meeting all of you in person :)

I clicked on the facebook group link for the upcoming 2020 class and it did not work, could someone please PM me the group link?

I also have a couple more questions about the process before starting classes. I did not receive any information about required immunizations / drug testing / first day of class yet, only the official letter. Could someone fill me in on these topics? Thank you so much.
me too!!!!! can't wait to meet yall!! :D

Also would like the link or directions to join the fb page if anyone could PM that to me. And also maybe send some recommendations on where to live? Unfortunately was not able to make it out to new student weekend

It's a secret group so I don't think you can add people by sending the url but I think if you send me your emails I can invite you that way :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, so I'm accepted! What do y'all recommend as far as apartments go?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm looking for something that has all bills included in the rent if possible. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for something that has all bills included in the rent if possible. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I've been looking as well. People on the fb page have mentioned apartments at the crowne, the reserve, the lakes at turtle creek, and breckenridge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview scheduled for May 6, at this point I'm interviewing for the waitlist, right?

Oh wow this late in the game? That's interesting! @WorldChanger36 yoire a student there right? If you had to do it all again, would you pick WCUCOM again?

Oh wow this late in the game? That's interesting! @WorldChanger36 yoire a student there right? If you had to do it all again, would you pick WCUCOM again?
Yes i am a student and i am assuming by choice you mean if i was accepted to any other US medical school that isnt liberty university or eternal word whatever university... No I wouldnt.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes i am a student and i am assuming by choice you mean if i was accepted to any other US medical school that isnt liberty university or eternal word whatever university... No I wouldnt.

i never liked liberty university because it is supported by tobacco company, ironic!

• Haha
i never liked liberty university because it is supported by tobacco company, ironic!
My main point is that you want to choose the right school that will get you the best education you can get. Not all schools are going to give you a proper education which means you just will not be able to do as well on boards or be as competitive for residency. Some places just strive to bring you mental anguish and misery. Some do both. You have to be willing to do whatever it takes to get through but if you have a choice ( you have multiple acceptances) be critical of every little detail. I failed to do this and I regret it.
Dont make the mistake of assuming everybody you met at the interview chooses to be where they are. Most people don't get multiple acceptances. Many dont even get multiple interviews.
If you are one of those people that got into Carey and no where else and you are worried because of something you read from me or someone else dont be. You made it and one thing you can and most likely will do is graduate and match. Just be smart and ask the class ahead of you for advice and pitfalls to avoid.

Reactions: 4 users
Just received an interview invite. It seems awfully late for an interview, right?

Just received an interview invite. It seems awfully late for an interview, right?
Please see previous post. They interview well into may, they accept people from late interview groups before they pull from the waitlist. If you interview now your chance of acceptance is the same as others earlier in the cycle. If you dont already have an acceptance go to the interview.

Please see previous post. They interview well into may, they accept people from late interview groups before they pull from the waitlist. If you interview now your chance of acceptance is the same as others earlier in the cycle. If you dont already have an acceptance go to the interview.

I have a few other acceptances, but I have heard differing opinions on this school. I don't think I'll be attending the interview due to financial reasons, but I am grateful for the opportunity.

I have not been as active as I once was, but if anyone has questions or needs help finding a place to live, feel free to message me on here. I'm sure I've already talked to a lot of the different people on here, though.

Hey everybody getting settled in. I am just going to warn you guys about a few pitfalls coming up soon. First make sure you get all of your financial aid stuff done early it is sooo easy to forget and it is super hard to study when you cant pay rent or eat. Make sure to confirm everything.... Twice.
Second, order at least 5 scrub tops and get your white coat early. It takes time for them to fix things and they will need to fix things. I ordered a size 48 white coat i got a 42... Its a bit tight.
Third dont buy the medical instruments package. You never use it and you cant use in future OSCEs you have to use the wall mounted equipment. Go to amazon and buy a stethoscope ( non peds), a reflex hammer and a tuning fork. You can borrow or wont need anything else.
Finally textbooks... This is a mixed bag here. You need to buy books that will help you learn and retain the info for years. I wouldnt buy the package as most of those books wont help and the prices are nuts. You really dont need books for the first three weeks so wait for your financial aid refund and shop amazon and save cash. I found review books with lots of strong questions to be the most helpful. BRS series is great and I was also a big fan of Guytons review and greys for students review.
PM me if you guys have any more questions.

Reactions: 2 users
If anyone is looking for a place to live. I am moving out of my apartment at Mark 4 and headed to my 3rd year hubsite. My roommate (will be OMS-2 in the fall) is interested in staying if anyone wants a roommate. He's a quiet, non-traditional student. I'm also selling all the furniture with it cheap. PM me for further details, or see the info posted in y'alls FB group

Any incoming female looking for a roommate? Let me know because I'm not part of the Facebook group yet

When do we get an invite to the facebook group? I was accepted back in early Feb and I still haven't received an invitation.

When do we get an invite to the facebook group? I was accepted back in early Feb and I still haven't received an invitation.

I got added right after I sent my deposit... Maybe email the admissions office

Does any current medical student at William Carey have any thoughts on the required and recommended (physical and e-book) medical textbooks that would be relevant to an incoming medical student. I'd like to hear any thoughts you may have, for example; do you use physical or ebook? do you use all the textbooks listed? Would you recommend any additional textbooks? Did you do you purchase through the William Carey Bookstore?

Does any current medical student at William Carey have any thoughts on the required and recommended (physical and e-book) medical textbooks that would be relevant to an incoming medical student. I'd like to hear any thoughts you may have, for example; do you use physical or ebook? do you use all the textbooks listed? Would you recommend any additional textbooks? Did you do you purchase through the William Carey Bookstore?

Scroll up and read my post

Hey everybody getting settled in. I am just going to warn you guys about a few pitfalls coming up soon. First make sure you get all of your financial aid stuff done early it is sooo easy to forget and it is super hard to study when you cant pay rent or eat. Make sure to confirm everything.... Twice.
Second, order at least 5 scrub tops and get your white coat early. It takes time for them to fix things and they will need to fix things. I ordered a size 48 white coat i got a 42... Its a bit tight.
Third dont buy the medical instruments package. You never use it and you cant use in future OSCEs you have to use the wall mounted equipment. Go to amazon and buy a stethoscope ( non peds), a reflex hammer and a tuning fork. You can borrow or wont need anything else.
Finally textbooks... This is a mixed bag here. You need to buy books that will help you learn and retain the info for years. I wouldnt buy the package as most of those books wont help and the prices are nuts. You really dont need books for the first three weeks so wait for your financial aid refund and shop amazon and save cash. I found review books with lots of strong questions to be the most helpful. BRS series is great and I was also a big fan of Guytons review and greys for students review.
PM me if you guys have any more questions.

What about the scrub bottoms? Would they only be used for gross lab? Or are they unnecessary as well?

What about the scrub bottoms? Would they only be used for gross lab? Or are they unnecessary as well?

I wear scrub bottoms but i get them in a different color than the scrub tops. Why? Well as you will learn there are a few people at Carey that are quite ... Well crazy about medical minutia. As you will " learn"residents on duty wear matching color scrubs that corresponds with their department. If you match to these said persons you are claiming to be a resident, which means you are illegally practicing medicine. Yeah yeah I know that rabbit hole seems a bit deep but trust me they freak out.
Main point get scrub bottoms that look like dress pants that way you get the best of both worlds.

Hi I am looking for a roommate. I am a 24 yr old male. Pm me if anyone interested. Does anybody know if there is a place that helps you find roommates

Not sure but I just got called off the wait list on Friday I interviewed in November

I was recently accepted to tcom and will be giving up my spot. Goodluck to everyone going here and those that are still on the waitlist

Does anyone know the daily class schedule/whether class is mandatory or not? Thanks

While 80 percent is the official policy ( OPP and doctoring skills is 100 percent) not all professors enforce this as well as others. You will get to understand which classes you can take a study day for and which one you cant. Biochem takes the most attendance by the way ( they take it every time they ask clicker questions), histo the least. OPP and DS you can make up if you have to but you dont want to do that ...

Does anyone know the name of the class of 2020 Facebook page

Same request...how do we get added to the 2020 FB group, is there a link that'll come from the school or admin?