William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does WCU lump EM in primary care? When I interviewed at ACOM they did but didn't know if it was widely viewed as "primary care". From four years in the ER and two years in family medicine I can say there is quite a similarity but I'm just curious how this program viewed this

No it does not. It does make you primary care minded as you just demonstrated which is what they want.

Members don't see this ad.

how long after sending the secondary in did u guys receive the receipt in the mail? im afraid my secondary maybe got lost in the mail? I sent it to the school a week ago
I have a tracking number on my. Mailed is fast track for only $5 :)

Edit: Turns out after checking my tracking number they are forwarding the secondaries to another address. Not sure why, but it is taking a little longer because of this.

Last edited:
Key word is minded. I see this commonly confused among applicants to mean that if you have not shadowed a family doc and/or want to match peds, IM, or family dont bother to apply. They dont care what kind of doctor you want to be went you grow up and they expect you to have broad interest and to be able to express them. Primary care minded means they want to see that you CAN and WILL ( notice not want) be able to see and apply your interest through a primary care model. All basic medical school is taught from the perspective of a family care doc.
So if you like me only shadowed a Hem/Onc doc and worked as a scribe in the ED you can still get in.
I never said you couldn't lol. And like I said, "minded" vs. "want" vs. "interest" isn't really a big deal. All the DO schools are primary care-focused. Doesn't mean everyone goes into primary care.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never said you couldn't lol. And like I said, "minded" vs. "want" vs. "interest" isn't really a big deal. All the DO schools are primary care-focused. Doesn't mean everyone goes into primary care.
Not accusing you of anything. You just provided any opportunity to clear up a common issue I see on here. Thats all.

Honestly, I didn't see much in this school. However, after my interview, I was greatly impressed. Everyone was very kind and genuine. The facility was very nice. I am actually rethinking things...

Honestly, I didn't see much in this school. However, after my interview, I was greatly impressed. Everyone was very kind and genuine. The facility was very nice. I am actually rethinking things...
What made you change your mind? If you don't mind me asking.

Most people aren't going to think this school is much because it's new, but the fact of the matter is that wcucom has increased its first time pass rates of the comlex to above the national standard. The education I'm receiving now is great; the faculty is knowledgeable; and everyone is here to help each other. At the end of the day, from an honest standpoint, medical education is pretty uniform from any medical school and I'm glad I picked here because the tuition cost is cheaper than most private DO schools. By coming here I can become a great doctor and save myself some money.

Reactions: 2 users
To current students,

Is it smart to go to the interview and stay with a current student, have dinner, and sleep over at their place?

Thanks to anyone who can address this question!

What made you change your mind? If you don't mind me asking.
Tuition is cheap. Facility was nice. Program has good opportunities to help me come back to Texas (which is where I would like to end up). Board pass rates were in par with other universities. Everyone I came in contact with (students, faculty, admissions) were very friendly/genuine.

Do they screen? I haven't received a secondary from here
I'm under the impression that they screen fairly heavily based primarily on their mission. Maybe somebody else on here who is more knowledgeable than I can give you a more definitive answer...

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they screen? I haven't received a secondary from here

OMS-2 here, they do screen pretty heavily and have a preference to gulf South states, but, we have quite a few from outside the area. The admissions office is really small and depending on when they got your application, they may not have sent it yet.

Has anyone received any interview invite from this school in the past month? Thank you

I love the idea of this school, I can only hope for an II. We will see! I sent in my secondary a week ago!

Anyone know why this school has such a high amount of matriculates with a graduate degree? According to CIB it's around 50%

Anyone know why this school has such a high amount of matriculates with a graduate degree? According to CIB it's around 50%
That's an interesting tidbit, but no idea. Maybe because grads have proven awesomeness...

Reactions: 1 user

My guess is b/c they are very non-traditional friendly and as well as a large class is taken from Texas and LA (which have nice SMP)

Everyone at my interview had graduate work or a masters.

Again. Just speculation.

Does this school have a strong regional bias? I'm from the Mid-Atlantic region and was wondering if it was worth applying here.

Does this school have a strong regional bias? I'm from the Mid-Atlantic region and was wondering if it was worth applying here.

Time is against you. You will never get it back.

Send in your app!

You dont know until you try. I mean, you can always replace money.......

Time is against you. You will never get it back.

Send in your app!

You dont know until you try. I mean, you can always replace money.......
True, but if you are allocating limited resources and you can apply to schools where you have a better shot, then that might be a better option.

Yes, this school does have some regional bias, but they will still look at your app. If you can afford it, then it's probably worth a shot.

@texasgirl2014 I interviewed 10/2 and they told me the committee wouldn't meet for a decision until 10/16 and I could call on like 10/19 to get an unofficial decision but they won't send out acceptance/rejection letters until 11/2.

(CajunMedics post in the other thread)

Quasi-Necro bump. Finally, here is the one from William Carey for 2015.

INTERNAL MEDICINE:

Bay Area-Corpus Christi Medical Center, Corpus Christi, TX
Plaza Medical Center, Fort Worth, TX
Tulane University SOM, New Orleans, LA
University Hospital and Clinics, Lafayette, LA (X2)
Baptist Health Systems, Birmingham, AL
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS (X5)
University of South Alabama Hospitals, Mobile, AL (X3)
Magnolia Regional Health Center, Corinth, MS (X2)
University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Tyler, TX (x2)
Northside Hospital and Heart Institute, St. Petersburg, FL
Wellington Regional, Palm Beach, FL
North Shore/LIJ Health Systems, New York, NY
University of Alabama Medical Center, Montgomery, AL
Southeastern Health, Lumberton, NC (X2)
Largo Medical Center, Largo, FL

TRADITIONAL ROTATING INTERNSHIP:
St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, Far Rockaway, NY (X2)
Riverside Methodist-OH, Columbus, OH
University of South Alabama Hospitals, Mobile, AL
Peconic Bay Medical Center, Riverhead, NY
Clarion, PA
Larkin Community Hospital South, Miami, FL
Buffalo, NY
Manatee Memorial Hospital, Bradenton, FL

FAMILY MEDICINE:
Arnot Ogden Medical Center, Elmira, NY (X2)
Cahaba Medical Care, Centreville, AL
University of TN College Of Medicine, Memphis, TN (X2)
Forrest General Hospital, Hattiesburg, MS (X2)
Nassau University Medical Center, East Meadow, NY
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Rochester, MN (X2)
Texoma Medical Center, Denison, TX
Floyd Medical Center, Rome, GA
ETSU/Quillen College of Medicine, Johnson City, TN
Houston Healthcare, Warner Robins, GA
Lewis Gale Hospital, Blacksburg, VA
Still OPTI/Wright Center for GME, Washington, DC
East Central Health Net Rural, Decatur, MS
UAMS Regional Programs, Jonesboro, AR
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS
Baylor Medical Center, Garland, TX
North Mississippi Medical Center, Tupelo, MS (X4)
UAMS Regional Programs, Texarkana, AR
EC Health Net, Meridian, MS
UAMS Regional Programs, Pine Bluff, AR
Spartanburg Regional Health System, Spartanburg, SC
McLennan County Family Medicine, Waco, TX
LECOMT/St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, Far Rockaway, NY
CMC/Northeast Medical Center, Concord, NC

EMERGENCY MEDICINE:
Adena Health System, Chillicothe, OH
Botsford Hospital, Farmington Hills, MI
Memorial Hospital, York, PA
Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA
St. Luke’s University Hospital, Bethlehem, PA
Marietta Memorial Hospital, Marietta, OH (X2)

INTERNAL MEDICINE/PEDIATRICS
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR

OB/GYN
Osteopathic Medical Education Consortium of Oklahoma, Tulsa, OK (X2)

GENERAL SURGERY
St. Mary’s Hospital of Blue Springs, Blue Springs, MO

PEDIATRICS

PHYSICAL MEDICINE/REHAB

INTERNAL MEDICINE/EMERGENCY MEDICINE
Aria Health, Philadelphia, PA

(FROM THE OTHER THREAD)

Last edited:
(CajunMedics post in the other thread)

Quasi-Necro bump. Finally, here is the one from William Carey for 2015.

INTERNAL MEDICINE:

Bay Area-Corpus Christi Medical Center, Corpus Christi, TX
Tulane University SOM, New Orleans, LA
University Hospital and Clinics, Lafayette, LA (X2)
Baptist Health Systems, Birmingham, AL
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS (X5)
University of South Alabama Hospitals, Mobile, AL (X3)
Magnolia Regional Health Center, Corinth, MS (X2)
University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Tyler, TX (x2)
Northside Hospital and Heart Institute, St. Petersburg, FL
Wellington Regional, Palm Beach, FL
North Shore/LIJ Health Systems, New York, NY
University of Alabama Medical Center, Montgomery, AL
Southeastern Health, Lumberton, NC (X2)
Largo Medical Center, Largo, FL

TRADITIONAL ROTATING INTERNSHIP:
St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, Far Rockaway, NY (X2)
Riverside Methodist-OH, Columbus, OH
University of South Alabama Hospitals, Mobile, AL
Peconic Bay Medical Center, Riverhead, NY
Clarion, PA
Larkin Community Hospital South, Miami, FL
Buffalo, NY
Manatee Memorial Hospital, Bradenton, FL

FAMILY MEDICINE:
Arnot Ogden Medical Center, Elmira, NY (X2)
Cahaba Medical Care, Centreville, AL
University of TN College Of Medicine, Memphis, TN (X2)
Forrest General Hospital, Hattiesburg, MS (X2)
Nassau University Medical Center, East Meadow, NY
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Rochester, MN (X2)
Texoma Medical Center, Denison, TX
Floyd Medical Center, Rome, GA
ETSU/Quillen College of Medicine, Johnson City, TN
Houston Healthcare, Warner Robins, GA
Lewis Gale Hospital, Blacksburg, VA
Still OPTI/Wright Center for GME, Washington, DC
East Central Health Net Rural, Decatur, MS
UAMS Regional Programs, Jonesboro, AR
Baylor Medical Center, Garland, TX
North Mississippi Medical Center, Tupelo, MS (X4)
UAMS Regional Programs, Texarkana, AR
EC Health Net, Meridian, MS
UAMS Regional Programs, Pine Bluff, AR
Spartanburg Regional Health System, Spartanburg, SC
McLennan County Family Medicine, Waco, TX
LECOMT/St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, Far Rockaway, NY
CMC/Northeast Medical Center, Concord, NC

EMERGENCY MEDICINE:
Adena Health System, Chillicothe, OH
Botsford Hospital, Farmington Hills, MI
Memorial Hospital, York, PA
Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA
St. Luke’s University Hospital, Bethlehem, PA
Marietta Memorial Hospital, Marietta, OH (X2)

INTERNAL MEDICINE/PEDIATRICS

OB/GYN
Osteopathic Medical Education Consortium of Oklahoma, Tulsa, OK (X2)

GENERAL SURGERY
St. Mary’s Hospital of Blue Springs, Blue Springs, MO

PEDIATRICS

PHYSICAL MEDICINE/REHAB

INTERNAL MEDICINE/EMERGENCY MEDICINE
Aria Health, Philadelphia, PA

(FROM THE OTHER THREAD)

If 98% of the class matched then why are there so many people doing TRI?

D'oh! Sorry. Clearly, Im not with the time and date. Lets try this again......lol
"Did you stay with a medical student during the time of your interview?"
Lol no problem! And no I didn't. I stayed in a Baymont Inn. Terrible terrible hotel, though.

Interesting. How was the interview? Laid back? Conversational? How did you fare?

My own experience.... Interview was pretty conversational. As laid back as an interview with 5 other people in room can be.

They wanted to learn who I was and asked me quite a bit of questions to determine if I was an honest individual (related to my uniqe ECs and personal statement). I hear this is pretty typical for the interview, which it should be.

Interviewers did not do the poker face stuff that happens at other programs. Faculty, the students we had lunch with, random students walking by, the interviewers and community were all extremely nice.

This was my favorite school out of my three interviews by far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Interesting. How was the interview? Laid back? Conversational? How did you fare?
Interview was awesome for me. There are 4 people in the room other than you (3 interviewers, one observer). I had Dr. Weir (everyone has him), Dr. Speed, Dr. Smith (a biochemical PhD guy), and then there was an observer. There's really no pressure. Each person basically asks you a question individually, mine were very soft-spoken, and you basically address that person. So it's not like you're expected to talk to everyone at once, and they're ganging up on you. Very relaxed. And they were really nice as well. They told me I did well on my interview. I was deferred because they want to see how I do for my last semester of college. Hoping I get in here in a few months (I graduate in December). Good luck to you!

Also, you'll get an ethical question. I didn't get any questions really pertaining to whether I was honest, and they really did have a poker face. So my interview didn't seem to be like GreenScrubss' haha. Still really nice though!

Interview was awesome for me. There are 4 people in the room other than you (3 interviewers, one observer). I had Dr. Weir (everyone has him), Dr. Speed, Dr. Smith (a biochemical PhD guy), and then there was an observer. There's really no pressure. Each person basically asks you a question individually, mine were very soft-spoken, and you basically address that person. So it's not like you're expected to talk to everyone at once, and they're ganging up on you. Very relaxed. And they were really nice as well. They told me I did well on my interview. I was deferred because they want to see how I do for my last semester of college. Hoping I get in here in a few months (I graduate in December). Good luck to you!

Also, you'll get an ethical question. I didn't get any questions really pertaining to whether I was honest, and they really did have a poker face. So my interview didn't seem to be like GreenScrubss' haha. Still really nice though!

How did you know you were deferred?

How did you know you were deferred?
For my 9/25 group, the admissions committee was meeting 9/28. So he said any time after that we could call him or email him and he'd let us know the decision, even though official letters will be sent out in November. I emailed him 9/28 and he got back to me that night with a thorough explanation of the committee's decision.

Does anyone know the most current comlex pass rate? I can't find it online. Thanks in advance.

I think the sdn interview feedback section is reflective of the kinds of questions you will encounter in your interview!

Last edited:
96 percent first time pass rate. We are waiting on 2 more scores so it may change.
That's amazing!!! The only thing I was worried about this school is its pass rate. I guess I don't have to anymore. This is a HUGE improvement from the first class!

That's amazing!!! The only thing I was worried about this school is its pass rate. I guess I don't have to anymore. This is a HUGE improvement from the first class!
Keep in mind after the rest of the scores are in that rate is expected to drop to around 94 to 91. So it is better but not that much better. If you pass your classes here you will be very likely to pass comlex. USMLE well... That is a very different can of worms.

Keep in mind after the rest of the scores are in that rate is expected to drop to around 94 to 91. So it is better but not that much better. If you pass your classes here you will be very likely to pass comlex. USMLE well... That is a very different can of worms.
Lower 90s is still very solid to me. Is USMLE harder than COMLEX or just different? Should be like the difference between SAT and ACT right?