William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lower 90s is still very solid to me. Is USMLE harder than COMLEX or just different? Should be like the difference between SAT and ACT right?
There is no comparison between the two tests. Comlex focuses on OPP and path, USMLE is spread out pretty evenly and has no OPP. Comlex questions ask things based on a few symptoms but are things that have been covered well. USMLE ask things with a list of symptoms some helpful some distractor but will want things that are secondary or tertiary to the symptoms requiring a person to be very good at putting things together with limited info and time.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no comparison between the two tests. Comlex focuses on OPP and path, USMLE is spread out pretty evenly and has no OPP. Comlex questions ask things based on a few symptoms but are things that have been covered well. USMLE ask things with a list of symptoms some helpful some distractor but will want things that are secondary or tertiary to the symptoms requiring a person to be very good at putting things together with limited info and time.
Just to chime in. I talked with a student at AZCOM who did extremely well on both tests (self report, but I believe her). She said her strategy was to focus on USMLE because she felt that it prepared her for both.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone has any questions for us OMS1 or 2s now would be a good time as this next week is OMED. Assuming anybody is paying attention to these forums

If anyone has any questions for us OMS1 or 2s now would be a good time as this next week is OMED. Assuming anybody is paying attention to these forums
William Carey seems like a very good school, but are there any stand-out benefits of attending here? I love what I have read about them, but you will never know the full truth of the benefits or the downside of a school unless you ask someone who has been through the process and is attending the school.

William Carey seems like a very good school, but are there any stand-out benefits of attending here? I love what I have read about them, but you will never know the full truth of the benefits or the downside of a school unless you ask someone who has been through the process and is attending the school.
The cost is definitely a benefit!

WCUCOM is a get the job done med school. Not bare minimum but not the best. It also depends on what you are looking for. If you need more detail or have more specific questions send me a pm

William Carey is just one of few schools I feel like really matches who I am as an applicant and a person. I like the atmosphere they portray and I hope for an interview here sometime. I sent my secondary in about 3 weeks ago. Fingers crossed.

So, I was completed around early September, but I haven't received any correspondence saying that they've even received my primary application. I've emailed them twice (9/17, 10/13) about this, and I've received no response.

Even if I'm screened out by this process, I would still like to know about it! Should I call them and find out the status of my application?

Reactions: 1 user
So, I was completed around early September, but I haven't received any correspondence saying that they've even received my primary application. I've emailed them twice (9/17, 10/13) about this, and I've received no response.

Even if I'm screened out by this process, I would still like to know about it! Should I call them and find out the status of my application?

I added this school 8/16 and heard nothing so I emailed them on 9/24 inquiring if they had received my primary application. I didn't get any response. I have been waiting thinking maybe I was screened out and would receive a letter in the mail but I haven't received anything. I'm not exactly sure about their timeline, which is why I haven't called yet. If you do, keep us posted. I'm sure others are currently in this same position.

II! Can anyone who has interviewed/is attending here give me a quick recap on their thoughts concerning the school? I have so many IIs I need to start being more selective about which ones I attend. Is this anyone's top school? Much appreciated.

I added this school 8/16 and heard nothing so I emailed them on 9/24 inquiring if they had received my primary application. I didn't get any response. I have been waiting thinking maybe I was screened out and would receive a letter in the mail but I haven't received anything. I'm not exactly sure about their timeline, which is why I haven't called yet. If you do, keep us posted. I'm sure others are currently in this same position.
If you dont get a secondary by next week it is likely you were screened out.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I have been thinking. I just wish there was a little more communication throughout the process.
I agree. Each application should be sent at least an email to let you know the action the school is taking, why it was taken and what is expected if the student wishes to reapply.

II! Can anyone who has interviewed/is attending here give me a quick recap on their thoughts concerning the school? I have so many IIs I need to start being more selective about which ones I attend. Is this anyone's top school? Much appreciated.
For those of you thT have multiple II , please keep in mind the app rule.... If you have no acceptances you are begging, those that have one are checking out the place, those with with multiples are just kidding themselves. Be smart guys and gals, understand the difference between a young school and a dumb school.

For those of you thT have multiple II , please keep in mind the app rule.... If you have no acceptances you are begging, those that have one are checking out the place, those with with multiples are just kidding themselves. Be smart guys and gals, understand the difference between a young school and a dumb school.

Best advice I've heard on here in some time.

Just received an interview!!! Any tips?? Any stats on acceptance rates? Anything will help!
I am sorry, I know this isn't information for you but would you be willing to share some information?
Such as when you were complete and how they inform you of an interview (via e-mail, phone, mail, etc?) I greatly appreciate the response. Thank-you!

I am sorry, I know this isn't information for you but would you be willing to share some information?
Such as when you were complete and how they inform you of an interview (via e-mail, phone, mail, etc?) I greatly appreciate the response. Thank-you!
I received a secondary as soon as i was verified which was end of august. My application was then put on hold because they were awaiting my mcat score which was released end of september and just got an invitation today. They emailed me.

I received a secondary as soon as i was verified which was end of august. My application was then put on hold because they were awaiting my mcat score which was released end of september and just got an invitation today. They emailed me.
Okay very nice, thank-you. I received a secondary just 2 days after my primary was submitted and I sent my secondary a week later. I am hopeful.

Just received an interview!!! Any tips?? Any stats on acceptance rates? Anything will help!

Be yourself. It's a pretty laid back, conversational interview. Be ready for the standard "Why medicine, Why DO, Why WCUCOM, etc.?" questions. If you've got anything If the same thing holds true, acceptance rate is around 75 percent if you've made it this far.

II yesterday! Hope to see some of you Nov 13th!

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone help me with answering a few questions, pleaase? I greatlt appreciate any feedback. I sent in my secondary roughly 4 weeks ago and I did so with a tracking number so I could make sure it reached its destination. I have yet to receive a receipt for my secondary or my secondary fee. I really want to attend an interview at WCU, but I'm not sure if everything went through good or not. I know we can call the school, but I wanted to ask my peers before I go down that path. Thank-you, all! :)

Never mind on my last post. I called up to WCU-SOM and the lady who is responsible for processing secondary applications and application fees is going to be out this week and next. Just a FYI to whoever else had the same question.

Just turned down my II here. Hope whichever of you gets it takes it and runs with it! Good luck.

This feed has been quiet as of late. Have my interview coming up, any advice on what question I should ask them?

Does anyone knows the % of people who interviewed that are accepted?

Hey guys, does this school screen heavily? I sent my primary to them 2 weeks ago and just received a secondary today. Do I have a solid shot at receiving an II? I'm very interested in the school but I'm running on a budget.

My stats are 3.55cgpa, 3.35sgpa, 503 mcat, unique ECs, extensive shadowing, etc.

Hey guys, does this school screen heavily? I sent my primary to them 2 weeks ago and just received a secondary today. Do I have a solid shot at receiving an II? I'm very interested in the school but I'm running on a budget.

My stats are 3.55cgpa, 3.35sgpa, 503 mcat, unique ECs, extensive shadowing, etc.

I just interviewed at this school on Friday and was told by faculty that only about 25% of applicants receive a secondary. That being said, they also mentioned if you receive a secondary you have a high chance of interviewing and if you go on to interview you have an extremely high chance of being accepted. I'd say go for it if you are interested in the school :)

I just interviewed at this school on Friday and was told by faculty that only about 25% of applicants receive a secondary. That being said, they also mentioned if you receive a secondary you have a high chance of interviewing and if you go on to interview you have an extremely high chance of being accepted. I'd say go for it if you are interested in the school :)

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you for the quick reply! I will be sending out this secondary asap. This is the first school I have seen so far that screens that heavily for a secondary.

How high?

Hello, I sent in my secondary in the beginning of October and received a payment receipt in the mail about a week ago. However, I never received an update about my secondary being completed, does anyone know how long it will take for them to review my application? I emailed them and they never got back to me. Thanks

How high?
The students there pretty much said you are interviewing for them just to see if you are not a crazy killer person and that they can't recall almost anyone who interviewed and didn't get in. So pretty high!

So there is no way I can use my letters in AACOMS for their secondaries? Is that means I have to ask my professors and the doctor to send my letter through snail mail to them again? I am so behind.... :(

AACOMAS is fine. That's how I sent mine.
Could you give more details in how to send LOR through AACOMAS? I emailed the admission regarding this question but never heard anything back from them.... Thank you so much!

William Carey is just one of few schools I feel like really matches who I am as an applicant and a person. I like the atmosphere they portray and I hope for an interview here sometime. I sent my secondary in about 3 weeks ago. Fingers crossed.
Did you send your LOR through AACOMAS?