William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have a phone number for the school that I can call to inquire if my application is complete. I submitted my secondary in early November, and I have received any communication about whether I am missing anything in the file or not. I have tried the numbers on their contact us page, but they seem to be disconnected.

601-318-6235 Try this one.

Members don't see this ad.

They'll be closed til the 4th. It is a Baptist school, and they're partying hard tonight.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is so quiet compared to other schools. I'm planning on doing the MBS at Carey starting in August and applying next cycle. Does anyone have a feel for those students who do the MBS and their acceptance rate? Dr. Roarke told me it was pretty high, but wanted to get a take from a student. Good luck to all those applying this year!:)

This thread is so quiet compared to other schools. I'm planning on doing the MBS at Carey starting in August and applying next cycle. Does anyone have a feel for those students who do the MBS and their acceptance rate? Dr. Roarke told me it was pretty high, but wanted to get a take from a student. Good luck to all those applying this year!:)
We have about 20 people from the MBS in our class. Keep in mind if you do the MBS program here it will be very unlikely to help you get into any other school so its like putting all your eggs into one basket.

We have about 20 people from the MBS in our class. Keep in mind if you do the MBS program here it will be very unlikely to help you get into any other school so its like putting all your eggs into one basket.
Thanks for the quick response. That seems like a high yield then for the MBS program since Dr. Roarke told me they only had 30 or so students each year. I figured the odds of it being very useful elsewhere were pretty low. Fortunately I live locally and don't want to move, so that is a risk I'd be willing to take.

Thanks for the quick response. That seems like a high yield then for the MBS program since Dr. Roarke told me they only had 30 or so students each year. I figured the odds of it being very useful elsewhere were pretty low. Fortunately I live locally and don't want to move, so that is a risk I'd be willing to take.
Well see ya next year... Dont screw up the anatomy lab for the first years... Geez that drives me crazy

This needs to be said... When you come here for an interview and you park and move the cone.... Do Not move the cone in front of the car next to you. I spent a good amount of time arguing with security that i did not steal a space from the interviewees. Come on guys/gals

Is there anything that family is allowed to join in on during the interview day? My wife made the trip with me and we were curious. If not, she is just going to scope out housing and such.

Is there anything that family is allowed to join in on during the interview day? My wife made the trip with me and we were curious. If not, she is just going to scope out housing and such.
I recommend she does the housing search, it is a great use time. I recommend the reserve, not biased at all. Your wife could chill in class with us too, we would love to have her or she could hit up the Kohls or Target stock the apartment

If she goes to Target, we might not have enough money left to get an apartment! We will definitely check out the Reserve. Housing options are much better here than Starkville so we are excited.

Hi all,
I know the school has rolling admissions, but just wondering, has anyone just submitted their primary? I suddenly feel very behind after reading all the posts and it would make me feel better if there are still people out their who have just recently submitted their primary.

II for February 8! This is my first invite so I'm excited but a little bit overwhelmed. I'm pretty sure I'll be driving from Florida, but I would like to know if anyone has any hotel recommendations? I know it has been said at some point in this thread but I can't find it

Members don't see this ad :)
II for February 8! This is my first invite so I'm excited but a little bit overwhelmed. I'm pretty sure I'll be driving from Florida, but I would like to know if anyone has any hotel recommendations? I know it has been said at some point in this thread but I can't find it
Doesnt really matter just find the cheapest, in town mainstream hotel. Everything is pretty close together here.

Thank you! Also, does anyone have any advice for the interview itself?

Hi all,
I know the school has rolling admissions, but just wondering, has anyone just submitted their primary? I suddenly feel very behind after reading all the posts and it would make me feel better if there are still people out their who have just recently submitted their primary.
FWIW, I have a friend who is currently a 4th year at William Carey who applied in January. Didn't have the best stats, but had killer EC's though

Reactions: 1 user

I'm a current MBS student here if you have any questions, please feel free to ask

Hi all,

I just submitted my primary recently too. I wasn't going to apply because of financial circumstances but a friend of mine encouraged me to apply. I'm praying for a quick turn around so we'll see how it goes. LOL, we can keep hope together.

Can a current 3rd year student talk if they took the USMLE along with the COMLEX? can you talk about your experiences? Also, I don't know if this is possible but is there a statistics for the usmle taken at wcucom?

Can a current 3rd year student talk if they took the USMLE along with the COMLEX? can you talk about your experiences? Also, I don't know if this is possible but is there a statistics for the usmle taken at wcucom?

I'm a third year. I didn't take USMLE though. There's no class statistics that I'm aware of. I'd guess that maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the class took both tests. Honestly, I think you're putting the horse wayyyy in front of the cart if you're already thinking about taking both board exams. Get through the first two years of med school before you even stress yourself out thinking about that kind of stuff. Just remember that you're going to a DO school and already will be at a disadvantage applying for MD residencies (other than family med, psych, and peds). Unless you're in the top half of the class and killing it on practice tests, it probably wouldn't be worth your time to take it. Additionally, if you do poorly on it, you still have to report that you took it, so you can definitely shoot yourself in the foot. That's my two cents.

does william carey send out secondaries without a reported MCAT score in the primary?

I haven't heard back since sending in my secondary in November. Does that mean rejection? Anyone else in the same boat?

Call and ask. It may help cuz they'll ask you why you applied here. They don't send out rejection letters.

I'm a third year. I didn't take USMLE though. There's no class statistics that I'm aware of. I'd guess that maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the class took both tests. Honestly, I think you're putting the horse wayyyy in front of the cart if you're already thinking about taking both board exams. Get through the first two years of med school before you even stress yourself out thinking about that kind of stuff. Just remember that you're going to a DO school and already will be at a disadvantage applying for MD residencies (other than family med, psych, and peds). Unless you're in the top half of the class and killing it on practice tests, it probably wouldn't be worth your time to take it. Additionally, if you do poorly on it, you still have to report that you took it, so you can definitely shoot yourself in the foot. That's my two cents.

Thank you careforeveryone, my actual concern was because of my struggle with the MCAT so I am worried about struggle on the board exams, also because I would like to go back to Dallas to do my residency, but I guess who knows about the future?

Thank you careforeveryone, my actual concern was because of my struggle with the MCAT so I am worried about struggle on the board exams, also because I would like to go back to Dallas to do my residency, but I guess who knows about the future?
There is a link between MCAT and board scores but it doesnt lock in your fate for a low board if your MCAT was weak. It means you got to hit the ground running, take steps to make sure you hit and you will be fine. The most difficult thing about board prep is remembering every thing.

There is a link between MCAT and board scores but it doesnt lock in your fate for a low board if your MCAT was weak. It means you got to hit the ground running, take steps to make sure you hit and you will be fine. The most difficult thing about board prep is remembering every thing.
And by remembering everything he means knowing what you don't know, too. There's so much possible material that can be covered. Just like the MCAT, this is a test to see how your brain works through a set of details and then comes to a conclusion. The boards will be harder than the MCAT, that's for sure, but I won't won't be unprepared and expected to correlate 17th century France to one of Newtons laws.

II invite today!

Congratulations!
I was wondering if you would mind sharing when you were complete? I was told they are catching up still from the holidays and wanted to gauge if possible where they might be at.

First of all, thank you for your review of WCUCOM. Can you explain what it means when courses aren't taught to the boards?
They don't form their curriculum with the boards in mind. Meaning the board prep is pretty much on you.

First of all, thank you for your review of WCUCOM. Can you explain what it means when courses aren't taught to the boards?
As was stated earlier that yes this mean you are on your own with preparing for the boards. It also means that much of the material required for boards is neglected or weak and some information maybe inaccurate or confusing.

I contacted the school a week ago about my admission status, and they said I haven't been selected for an interview after initial review, but am still under consideration. Does anyone know at what point I should consider it a rejection?

What does the curriculum at WCUCOM focus on and how is that different from other COMs?

I contacted the school a week ago about my admission status, and they said I haven't been selected for an interview after initial review, but am still under consideration. Does anyone know at what point I should consider it a rejection?

Oh crap, they actually told you you weren't selected for an interview? Did you ask if you were selected for an interview? When did you submit the secondary?

I asked about the status of my application this week and got a generic answer about if you are chosen for an interview, we will let you know. That sounds pretty close to what you were told. I finished my secondary mid-December.

Carey doesn't do open rejections. This means they put you in the re-review if they still need a few interviews. So yes this is the closest thing to a rejection that Carey does

What does the curriculum at WCUCOM focus on and how is that different from other COMs?
It isnt different than other COMs, we all study very similar things it is just how it is delivered and what is emphasized and what isnt that is different.

Oh crap, they actually told you you weren't selected for an interview? Did you ask if you were selected for an interview? When did you submit the secondary?

I asked about the status of my application this week and got a generic answer about if you are chosen for an interview, we will let you know. That sounds pretty close to what you were told. I finished my secondary mid-December.

I submitted my secondary at the end of November. I only asked if my application was complete, as I didn't receive an email/snail-mail about if it was complete, but Dr. Weir went out of his way to provide a status update.

However, going by what WorldChanger36 says, I am probably out of the game. :cryi:

Carey doesn't do open rejections. This means they put you in the re-review if they still need a few interviews. So yes this is the closest thing to a rejection that Carey does

Thanks for the response WorldChanger36.

By the way, do you know about other DO schools as well? I am an underdog(LizzyM 59) under re-review/still under consideration by ~13 other schools. Is being under re-review generally a bad thing?

Thanks for the response WorldChanger36.

By the way, do you know about other DO schools as well? I am an underdog(LizzyM 59) under re-review/still under consideration by ~13 other schools. Is being under re-review generally a bad thing?
Depends on multiple factors. Was your application marked complete and under review by August, where are you from and what is your state of residency. Carey is gulf south friendly, they do not take people outside of that area very often

Depends on multiple factors. Was your application marked complete and under review by August, where are you from and what is your state of residency. Carey is gulf south friendly, they do not take people outside of that area very often

My application was done in late November, and I am from Georgia, so not from the gulf south unfortunately.

Do you, or anyone else, happen to know if WCU is receptive to update letters?

I submitted my secondary at the end of November. I only asked if my application was complete, as I didn't receive an email/snail-mail about if it was complete, but Dr. Weir went out of his way to provide a status update.

However, going by what WorldChanger36 says, I am probably out of the game. :cryi:

Did you apply to the BMS program as well through the application? I wonder when they send updates about that.

Do you, or anyone else, happen to know if WCU is receptive to update letters?

They are but they wont help you unless the update is significant.

Did you apply to the BMS program as well through the application? I wonder when they send updates about that.
I am currently an OMS at Carey. I just applied directly. I do not recommend the masters program. There are better ones like Tulane Pharm, Georgetown SMP, USF, KCUMB masters and EVMS.

Any particular hotel recommendations etc for interviewing here? Does WCU have any discount rates with any of the the local hotels? Any tips would be greatly appreciated, interviewing here at the end of the month and super excited!

Call and ask. It may help cuz they'll ask you why you applied here. They don't send out rejection letters.
They do send out rejection letters at the very end of the cycle. I applied last year and got my rejection letter right before their August class started. I'd forgotten all about it when it came, lol. I'm going to start here this fall.

Any particular hotel recommendations etc for interviewing here? Does WCU have any discount rates with any of the the local hotels? Any tips would be greatly appreciated, interviewing here at the end of the month and super excited!
Yes, I believe they do with the Holiday Inn.

I'd consider it a rejection around April. That's when most schools usually close up for that year. Contrary to what people are saying, they DO send out rejections. I applied here in my first cycle and got a rejection letter RIGHT before their class started in August. Like I said though, consider it a rejection around April.

Interviewing here on Monday! Anyone have any last minute advice? This is my first interview, so I am nervous but very excited. Also, looking forward to meeting some of you while I'm on campus :)