William Carey University (WCUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
How religious is this school? Can schools see each and every class that the applicant has taken?

The med school is its own entity. You won't have much, if any, undergraduate interaction. The university as a whole does have a religious affiliation with Mississippi baptist association, but it is grounded in scientific "normalcy" as far as their undergraduate science dept and MBS program are concerned. As a med student you may hear a prayer at the more formal events, but that's about it.

Schools can see what you put in aacomas and what is on your official transcript.

The med school is its own entity. You won't have much, if any, undergraduate interaction. The university as a whole does have a religious affiliation with Mississippi baptist association, but it is grounded in scientific "normalcy" as far as their undergraduate science dept and MBS program are concerned. As a med student you may hear a prayer at the more formal events, but that's about it.

Schools can see what you put in aacomas and what is on your official transcript.

Thank you. I was just trying to figure out if having taken something like Biblical studies might help me or having taken something like evolution might affect my chances at this school.

Thank you. I was just trying to figure out if having taken something like Biblical studies might help me or having taken something like evolution might affect my chances at this school.

Fedxup

As far as I know, it does not matter. Throughout the application process religion was never brought to my attention, for that matter I was not asked my religious affiliation. The concerns of the adcoms are MCAT, GPA, community service, volunteering, shadowing, etc. I took evolution, and it was never mentioned in my interview or otherwise. They focused more on the grades of the core science and advanced (3000-4000+ level) science classes.

WCUCOM does seem to consider other factors as to whether or not you will be a good fit at the school, but I felt they were more concerned with how I carried myself as a person rather than any specific religious affiliation.

Overall my application experience was enjoyable compared to other schools. Best of luck!

Fedxup

As far as I know, it does not matter. Throughout the application process religion was never brought to my attention, for that matter I was not asked my religious affiliation. The concerns of the adcoms are MCAT, GPA, community service, volunteering, shadowing, etc. I took evolution, and it was never mentioned in my interview or otherwise. They focused more on the grades of the core science and advanced (3000-4000+ level) science classes.

WCUCOM does seem to consider other factors as to whether or not you will be a good fit at the school, but I felt they were more concerned with how I carried myself as a person rather than any specific religious affiliation.

Overall my application experience was enjoyable compared to other schools. Best of luck!

Thank you! This is great news. I just didn't want to waste money where I can save it.

How is this school as far as out state applicants? i am Alabama resident. The School isn't that far from my home.

the student body is very diverse. There are people from alabama, arkansas, texas, lousiana, florida, california, etc..

Can you please share the prompts
Its a snail mail application and the prompt is:
The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine isto prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, scholarly activities, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation.

In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM to fulfill this mission.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its a snail mail application and the prompt is:
The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine isto prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, scholarly activities, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation.

In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM to fulfill this mission.
You have to send it back through snail mail? Also, is there a limit on characters/words? Thank you

You have to send it back through snail mail? Also, is there a limit on characters/words? Thank you

Yeah you gotta print it out and no linits mentioned but I kept it at a page.

Reapplicant this round.

Same here. Made it through the interviews, got wait-listed...now for attempt #2. I just turned in my registration for their MBS program, hopefully that will give me a boost. Good luck!

By the way, do you know if we have to resubmit LORs or are they kept on file? I accidentally let my Interfolio account die.

Just got the secondary

Wow, that was fast. Good luck!

@Fedxup The inaugural class started off with 110 students. Somehow 20 failed out, and 86 of the remaining 90 matched. I urge anybody applying to this school to view previous threads about WCU. Also 25% of the class failed the boards the first time. Most of the matches are probably to AOA family medicine, which are the lowest ranking residencies.

Reactions: 1 user
According to this, 93 students graduated. 37 matched into AOA programs and 21 FAILED to match in AOA. 35 of them didn't participate, so we don't know if they matched in ACGME or not. 22 percent didn't match into AOA that is pretty alarming.
source: https://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2014sklstats.html

Where are you getting your information from? @EMDO2018

According to this, 93 students graduated. 37 matched into AOA programs and 21 FAILED to match in AOA. 35 of them didn't participate, so we don't know if they matched in ACGME or not. 22 percent didn't match into AOA that is pretty alarming.

Look at this chart, 110 students started in the inaugural class back in the 2010-11 school year.
http://www.aacom.org/data/studentenrollment/Documents/2008-2013_AppEnrollGrad.pdf

The post from the 2013-2014 thread said that 90 applied for the match and 86 matched.

Also, guys make sure you get a good idea of any school you apply to, look at the previous threads for this school- mandatory attendance, leadership issues, administrative issues, and the list goes on.

Specialties of the 91 graduates from William Carey’s inaugural class (There were 108 original students during the 2010/11 academic year.)

Anesthesiology- 3 (all ACGME)
Emergency medicine- 6 (5 AOA, 1 ACGME)
Family medicine-33 (AOA, ACGME not sure of combo)
General surgery-7 (AOA don't remember if there were any acgme)
Internal medicine-14 (AOA, ACGME not sure of combo)
Internal medicine/pediatrics-1 (ACGME) Neurology- 2 (ACGME)
Obstetrics and gynecology-4 (AOA, ACGME not sure of combo)
Pediatrics- 2 (both ACGME)
Physical medicine and rehab- 2 (both ACGME)
Psychiatry- 5 (AOA, ACGME, Military)
Osteopathic internship-10
2-unmatched
97.8% match rate for first class.

Full COCA accreditation. Under very good leadership currently, 1st time board pass rates improving yearly, classes more effectively streamlined, etc etc. Contact the school for any issues/concerns. They will gladly discuss the negative past issues and how they fixed them and are continuing to improve.

Edit: In regards to "post 331" of the 2013-14 page, that was the inital email the Dean sent out. The above was updated upon graduation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For the secondary, how did people respond to this question?

"List all activities (e.g., employment, travel) that account for your time while earning and since earning a bachelor’s degree. List the most recent activity first. Attach a separate sheet if necessary."

Did you just list work history? I guess the volunteering etc fits better under the next question, but it's slightly confusing to me...

Applied here, verified a few weeks ago, but have not received my secondary yet. Hopefully soon! 3.3/3.28/ 26 (9/9/8) retaking. Decent shot?

Applied here, verified a few weeks ago, but have not received my secondary yet. Hopefully soon! 3.3/3.28/ 26 (9/9/8) retaking. Decent shot?
If you have your retake listed on AACOMAS they may have you on hold until your new scores come in.

have they sent out secondaries yet? verified over 2 weeks ago?

Last edited:

Fedxup,

When I was applying, I found it best to take these forums with a grain of salt. Many people for reasons unknown to me put strange information on numerous threads. I was accepted to more than one school and chose WCUCOM for a number of reasons (classes just started last week). They are really open about the match, and any other concerns. I was in your situation last year and know it can be confusing sifting through the forums. If you have specific questions, you can pm me and I will be happy to give you info. Best of luck in this cycle.

Does anyone know if we can send more than the 3 required letters? Thanks.

I was very excited to receive a letter from WCU today. My fingers were trembling with glee as I ripped open the envelope to discover..... a receipt. Well, at least they thought I was worth a thirty-eight cent stamp. That's gotta mean something, right?

Does anyone know if we can send more than the 3 required letters? Thanks.
yes, you can send more than 3 letters. You can ask your premed advisor to give you instructions.

yes, you can send more than 3 letters. You can ask your premed advisor to give you instructions.

What if youre not using the committee letter? Can you send in the 2 science prof + 1 DO in addition to character references?

Application was released 8/7...still no secondary from William Carey. Is this normal!?

Application was released 8/7...still no secondary from William Carey. Is this normal!?
Yes, WCU gives secondaries only to those they want to interview and only interviews those they want to accept. So you can figure their secondary only narrows down a few people just like the interview. Don't worry if you are a solid applicant they will get to you.

Yes, WCU gives secondaries only to those they want to interview and only interviews those they want to accept. So you can figure their secondary only narrows down a few people just like the interview. Don't worry if you are a solid applicant they will get to you.

Would you mind posting the questions from the secondary if you have received it? I want to prewrite it just incase I get that far so I won't have to worry about it during the semester.

Would you mind posting the questions from the secondary if you have received it? I want to prewrite it just incase I get that far so I won't have to worry about it during the semester.
The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine is to prepare men and
women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning,
scholarly activities, and graduate medical education. Using a communitybased
training model, the
COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all
individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the
state, region, and nation.
In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM to fulfill
this mission. (about 3/4 of a page is the space you have to write in)

Reactions: 2 users
Oh and a hint about the secondary essay. If you have experience working with the underserved ( homeless shelters, habitat for humanity, rebuild together, St. Bernard project, Americorp, peacecorp, church outreach, ect) it would be in your best interest to talk about this and tie it in how it shaped you towards wanting to work with that community as a physician. I would be careful with how you use buzz terms like primary care.

William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine does not simply interview all applicants who are extended a secondary application. We invite applicants for interview who we feel are genuine "good fits" for our school mission statement. We take our mission statement very seriously.

Are YOU a student truly concerned about helping people in arenas of under-representation regarding health care provision? Are you genuinely interested in adding osteopathic protocols to your eventual potential armament of medical aids? Do YOU want to be educated in an environment where you, yourself, will be noted, called upon, named, and recognized as a student of promise? (Duh, if NOT? Perhaps a career in medicine is NOT your best option.)

Are YOU interested in being associated with a newly fully accredited college of osteopathic medicine that intends eventually to be the very best of its kind in the entire nation? Yes, that is our goal! We aim high here in Hattiesburg, MS - we expect our students to do likewise.

Reactions: 2 users
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine does not simply interview all applicants who are extended a secondary application. We invite applicants for interview who we feel are genuine "good fits" for our school mission statement. We take our mission statement very seriously.

Are YOU a student truly concerned about helping people in arenas of under-representation regarding health care provision? Are you genuinely interested in adding osteopathic protocols to your eventual potential armament of medical aids? Do YOU want to be educated in an environment where you, yourself, will be noted, called upon, named, and recognized as a student of promise? (Duh, if NOT? Perhaps a career in medicine is NOT your best option.)

Are YOU interested in being associated with a newly fully accredited college of osteopathic medicine that intends eventually to be the very best of its kind in the entire nation? Yes, that is our goal! We aim high here in Hattiesburg, MS - we expect our students to do likewise.

Thanks for following up and clearing up any misinformation. We see alot of trends on this forum and it is good to know if it is just SDN people or if it uncovers something about a school's methods.

Hi guys, my primary was sent to the school on 8/14 and I haven't heard anything yet. Should I be concerned?