William Carey University (WCUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, my primary was sent to the school on 8/14 and I haven't heard anything yet. Should I be concerned?
No. Please see previous post in this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II! OOS, cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.5 33 MCAT. I was scheduled for 09/29, but I had to move it to November 10. I hope that doesn't hurt my chances too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
still nothing! no seconday invite

Same here. Made it through the interviews, got wait-listed...now for attempt #2. I just turned in my registration for their MBS program, hopefully that will give me a boost. Good luck!

By the way, do you know if we have to resubmit LORs or are they kept on file? I accidentally let my Interfolio account die.

Wow, that was fast. Good luck!
Jenjoie, would you mind sharing with us what your stats are (mcat and GPAs ) since you were given an interview last year?

Jenjoie, would you mind sharing with us what your stats are (mcat and GPAs ) since you were given an interview last year?

My stats were a bit...underwhelming, actually. I decided to get into medicine later in my college career (just finish Bachelor's degree #2), so I am overcoming some pretty terrible grades from years past. I think my final undergraduate GPA was 3.2 (3.1 science). However, I have had an upward trend, especially in the undergraduate classes I took at William Carey. My MCAT is 26 (PS 6, BS 8, VR 12).

WCU is great because they are non-trad friendly, and truly are more person-oriented than stats-oriented. Of course they have minimums for screening purposes, but their main concern is not your grades but whether or not you have the background and the ability to be successful in their program (Dr. Weir jokes that they don't just want our tuition for one year, they want it for four years). At the time they were considering whether to place me in their MBS program or their medical class. I actually got my MBS acceptance and my interview invite on the same day. Ultimately they decided that I would be a good fit for the program but that I was not necessarily prepared.

So what is the interview like here? Any pointers?

The interview was fairly relaxed. It was three-on-one, which can be intimidating, but I never felt as if I was being interrogated. They asked the usual questions with a emphasis on things related to their mission statement...are you considering any specialties, what type of career would you like to have, why DO (and why WCU), what experiences in leadership/volunteering/community involvement have you had. They really do just want to get to know you as a person and decide whether you fit in with their school and mission.

Just mailed the secondary. OOS so hoping for some love even though they have a regional bias for the lower south.

How long does it take to receive secondary after primary is released to the school?

How long does it take to receive secondary after primary is released to the school?
It depends on the person. They screen heavily and only send secondaries to those individuals that are interview worthy after a primary review and no getting a secondary does not mean you will get an interview.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The interview was fairly relaxed. It was three-on-one, which can be intimidating, but I never felt as if I was being interrogated. They asked the usual questions with a emphasis on things related to their mission statement...are you considering any specialties, what type of career would you like to have, why DO (and why WCU), what experiences in leadership/volunteering/community involvement have you had. They really do just want to get to know you as a person and decide whether you fit in with their school and mission.

I'm going to second @jenjoie's interview feedback. I had the same experience. Be ready for an ethics question as well. It's an overall low-key day. We'll be milling around while y'all are at lunch, so feel free to talk to us.

I'm going to second @jenjoie's interview feedback. I had the same experience. Be ready for an ethics question as well. It's an overall low-key day. We'll be milling around while y'all are at lunch, so feel free to talk to us.

Can you give an example of the ethics question they asked?
Thanks

How is this school as far as out state applicants? i am Alabama resident. The School isn't that far from my home.
Because we are not a state-sponsored school, no quota exists for Mississippi residents. Many students from Alabama (as well as many other states) attend here.

Last edited:
I am a second year here and I just wanted to jump in on this forum (hopefully anonymously) and say please listen to the negatives about this school. I was in your shoes at one point and I didn't care about the admin problems or the attendance policy but I now wish I had listened to the current students who told me all of the negatives would add up. Board scores at WCUCOM will continue to suffer as long as the admin&faculty treat the students like children and mandate attendance, refuse to emphasize high yield board material in class, and dont allow students to learn the most effective way they know how. There are only a handful of professors here that genuinely have the students best interest in mind, but you can forget any of them advocating for change. the attendance policy will be the bane of your existence if you have a hard time learning in class. If you have another acceptance to any other medical school I really encourage you to take it. All schools have problems but I can almost guarantee you will hate it here. WCUCOM treats students like they are children and I cant stress that point enough. if you want to ask anymore questions just pm me.

Everybody is going to have a different experience at medical school. It is what it is.

I'm currently a first year at WCUCOM. My experience with the school and staff has been nothing but positive. I've seen the school grow from its initial AOA application to where it is now. The staff has made pro active adjustments every year. Is it going to run like a school that's been around for 100 years? No, its not. But frankly, 100 year old schools have problems too. From what I can see, the University is trying their hardest not to make the same mistakes twice. That's all you can ask for.

I've had great interactions with the staff. I've never had an email that wasn't responded too. The admin staff has literally bent over backwards to be accommodating, and generally things run pretty well.

There are quite a few heavy hitters on the teaching staff. Don't take my word for it, do some Google stalking. Dr. McWhorter's name pops up all over the place. Dr. Millette as well. Furthermore, if you're applying to a DO school and haven't heard of Dr. Jones, I really don't know what tell you. I have to imagine there are countless pages on SDN alone discussing all he has done for the profession.

I hope this helps bring a little balance to the discussion. I promise I'm not paid staff at the university.

Good luck with all your applications!

Still no secondary, been verified since June. What to do? Should I contact them?

On the secondary, when it says to list volunteer/extracurricular activities, did you guys just list everything with no explanations? Or did you explain what every activity encompassed? I have explanations on my primary app, so I'm not sure if I should explain again on the secondary.

On the secondary, when it says to list volunteer/extracurricular activities, did you guys just list everything with no explanations? Or did you explain what every activity encompassed? I have explanations on my primary app, so I'm not sure if I should explain again on the secondary.
You should give a short explanation of important activities.

Everybody is going to have a different experience at medical school. It is what it is.

I'm currently a first year at WCUCOM. My experience with the school and staff has been nothing but positive. I've seen the school grow from its initial AOA application to where it is now. The staff has made pro active adjustments every year. Is it going to run like a school that's been around for 100 years? No, its not. But frankly, 100 year old schools have problems too. From what I can see, the University is trying their hardest not to make the same mistakes twice. That's all you can ask for.

I've had great interactions with the staff. I've never had an email that wasn't responded too. The admin staff has literally bent over backwards to be accommodating, and generally things run pretty well.

There are quite a few heavy hitters on the teaching staff. Don't take my word for it, do some Google stalking. Dr. McWhorter's name pops up all over the place. Dr. Millette as well. Furthermore, if you're applying to a DO school and haven't heard of Dr. Jones, I really don't know what tell you. I have to imagine there are countless pages on SDN alone discussing all he has done for the profession.

I hope this helps bring a little balance to the discussion. I promise I'm not paid staff at the university.

Good luck with all your applications!

Hey so I umm have never heard of Dr. Jones. Can you please provide some links of information.
Thank you

Listed author Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine. AOA convention speaker year in year out, along with moma and soma conclaves. Pretty sure he's a course director (CME side) for cranial academy, could be wrong on that. I think AACOM still has a bunch of his keynote presentations available on their site.

You should include an explanation of activities. You can just repeart the ones you used for AACOMAS.

Last edited:
LOL same here, I've never heard anything from WCU-COM since my primary application released on 08/14 too.
I am still in the same boat. I am not sure whether to call and ask what's going on with my app or just wait. It would suck to get rejected, but if that's the case, I would still like to know as soon as possible. I think I will call today. I had a similar experience at a different school where I did not hear a word after two months of submitting and my secondary application, and when I called they told me that they hadn't received my LORs which were sent to them via interfolio months ago. after looking, they finally found my LORs and attached them to my file and the next day I received an interview invite lol I will call today and let you know what they say!

Just finished the interview. Wow ... Super strong school. The support here is awesome. Everybody has a wide open door and lifts up weakest links and doesn't let anyone fall behind in a difficult program. I am happy with what I found there.

I'm always up for some details! If you are more comfortable PMing, that's cool too! Standard questions or any off the deep end?
here is the beef....

Campus: the med school campus is on the same campus as the undergraduate campus however there are no undergrads in the med school, nor is there an issue with parking because the med students get there own parking spots. The campus is bright and beautiful. Lots of good little study spots with white boards galore and super comfortable chairs. Oh and an awesome cafeteria with great food and lots of snack and coffee machines. Break room have refrigerators and microwaves which is super useful.
The people: Faculty and the students are the friendliest and most supportive I have ever seen. We were sitting out enjoying our small lunch and med students would take a break and come out to sit with us sharing all kinds of experiences. It was an easy 5 med student to 1 interview ratio. They were very honest about the school. The faculty seem like very strong educators and they will go out of their way to help a student understand the materiel and to succeed. They really do want every new class to be better than it was last year and they listen and change things based on student feed back year to year.
The interview: It was a 3 to 1 ratio with questions coming from different panel members based on how you respond. Be honest because the questions are designed in a way to expose BS They have a set of standard questions, Why DO and Why williamcarey but most of the questions are centered on you and believe me, they know your application very very well and if they are interviewing you they like you. They may interrupt you in mid answer because it flows more like a conversation among adults than an interview. They don't hold a poker face about anything if they like it you will see it on their faces. Are there off the wall questions? Not really but i could see why some may think they are. If you know yourself and can explain yourself you will rock this interview.

Pros/Cons/ Last thoughts: The people/ It is super front loaded difficult/ This is a solid school and you will be successful here.

If you guys have any other questions feel free to ask or PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
Two thumbs up! Really appreciate your in-depth response. Definitely looking forward to this interview. The panel members: a collection of physicians, PhD's, etc?
It is a blend. One dean, one DO and one PhD. However they all teach and advice.

I second everything worldchanger36 said. Any questions feel free to ask

Accepted and will be attending!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you. Congratulations! I'm interviewing in a couple of weeks.

Good luck!! Try to come a day early and if you are a fan of BBQ go to Leatha's Bar-B-Que Inn. The best bbq ever. Everyone is extremely helpful and nice. People will tell you all day not to stress about the interview and trust me don't. Just act normal like your having a conversation.

Good luck!! Try to come a day early and if you are a fan of BBQ go to Leatha's Bar-B-Que Inn. The best bbq ever. Everyone is extremely helpful and nice. People will tell you all day not to stress about the interview and trust me don't. Just act normal like your having a conversation.
Luckily I'm only a few hours away so I'll def check out that BBQ place. Best ever? Those are some fighting words!

Luckily I'm only a few hours away so I'll def check out that BBQ place. Best ever? Those are some fighting words!

Yeah I am from Miami and those ribs are the best I ve ever had.

Still nothing from this school (been verified for over a month). Is it safe to assume a silent pre-secondary screen?

Still nothing from this school (been verified for over a month). Is it safe to assume a silent pre-secondary screen?
The schools interview group size is pretty small also it is super early in the cycle.