William Carey University (WCUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anybody got an interview call after December 2014? Anybody giving interview on March 16, 2015?

Yes; no calls, but Mrs. Donna sends invites via email. I received an interview about a week after I sent in my secondary in January and interviewed in February.

Also, I could barely understand what you were asking...

Members don't see this ad.

I was asking whether anybody received an email for interview after Thanksgiving 2014 as i submitted my secondary near that time and recently a week before i received an email for interview.
Did you get an acceptance?
Is anybody getting interviewed on March 16, 2015?

Yes; no calls, but Mrs. Donna sends invites via email. I received an interview about a week after I sent in my secondary in January and interviewed in February.

Also, I could barely understand what you were asking...
I was asking whether anybody received an email for interview after Thanksgiving 2014 as i submitted my secondary near that time and recently a week before i received an email for interview.
Did you get an acceptance?
Is anybody getting interviewed on March 16, 2015?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how full the class is? I have an interview 3/20. I have had to make a deposit at another school where I received an offer, yet had a preference for WCUCOM. However, if the class is full or nearly full, it may be best I save my money (travel expenses etc.) as acceptance chances may be quite slim at this point????

Does anyone know how full the class is? I have an interview 3/20. I have had to make a deposit at another school where I received an offer, yet had a preference for WCUCOM. However, if the class is full or nearly full, it may be best I save my money (travel expenses etc.) as acceptance chances may be quite slim at this point????
They wouldn't be trying to interview you if the class is "full". Go to the interview.

Thanks! I think attending the interview is the best thing to do! Sometimes we just need to hear confirmation from others!

Thanks! I think attending the interview is the best thing to do! Sometimes we just need to hear confirmation from others!
It is always a good idea to go to an interview and see for yourself and not necessarily just go with what people are saying online. That can help prove or disprove any rumors you have heard and help you realize what is and isn't important to you in your medical education.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed on the 27th and I really loved this school. I also conversed with students that were not from the tour. I'd really like to attend this school. They have something really special there.

We're not "interviewing for the waitlist," if that's what you mean!

Is Texas considered a "Gulf South" state at WCUCOM? Apparently strong preference is given to Mississipi and the "Gulf South."

Is Texas considered a "Gulf South" state at WCUCOM? Apparently strong preference is given to Mississipi and the "Gulf South."
Yes Texas is included as a Gulf South State.

I just skimmed through the '14/'15 Student Handbook on WCU's website. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the handbook explicitly states that there is a zero tolerance policy for the possession of alcohol? The handbook states "Possession shall be defined to include the presence of alcohol or illegal drugs in the student’s university residence"
But WCUCOM doesn't offer on-campus housing for students unless requested, am I correct? Just trying to make sure WCUCOM could be a good fit for me. Bc say on a weekend I wanted to enjoy a glass of wine with my significant other in our apartment complex off-campus, that would be not only frowned upon but outright banned by the handbook?

Does anyone know the date of the last interviews that WCUCOM gives?

Or what the last interview date was last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just skimmed through the '14/'15 Student Handbook on WCU's website. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the handbook explicitly states that there is a zero tolerance policy for the possession of alcohol? The handbook states "Possession shall be defined to include the presence of alcohol or illegal drugs in the student’s university residence"
But WCUCOM doesn't offer on-campus housing for students unless requested, am I correct? Just trying to make sure WCUCOM could be a good fit for me. Bc say on a weekend I wanted to enjoy a glass of wine with my significant other in our apartment complex off-campus, that would be not only frowned upon but outright banned by the handbook?

You are correct. That only applies to on-campus residential students. I live in a Carey-owned, off-campus house with 2 other OMS's and have to abide by that rule. If you live off-campus, there is NOTHING they can or will do.

Does anyone know the date of the last interviews that WCUCOM gives?

Or what the last interview date was last year?

I interviewed April the 28th last year, I believe there was one that Friday, and the following Monday, May the 5th, was the last one.

I have been waitlisted here and at another school. However my top choice is William Carey because I was really impressed with the school, staff and students when I interviewed. I am hoping I get that phone call at the end of the cycle offering a spot. That is all. Waiting sucks.

Awesome. Thank you, CajunMedic !
I interviewed April the 28th last year, I believe there was one that Friday, and the following Monday, May the 5th, was the last one.

You are correct. That only applies to on-campus residential students. I live in a Carey-owned, off-campus house with 2 other OMS's and have to abide by that rule. If you live off-campus, there is NOTHING they can or will do.

Thanks for clearing that up. Was there a particular reason why you opted for the WCU-owned residence, as opposed to your own place off-campus? Price/convenience/combo/misc?

Thanks for clearing that up. Was there a particular reason why you opted for the WCU-owned residence, as opposed to your own place off-campus? Price/convenience/combo/misc?

Mainly price and convenience. I pay a flat rate per semester that gets me all utilities, internet, cable, washer/dryer, etc. It's next to the back side of campus, so it takes me 5 mins to drive it, or a 10-15 minute walk on a nice day without a bunch of stuff to carry. I've got a home in Baton Rouge with the wife, dogs, and mortgage, so off-campus wasn't really affordable for me this year.

Just received an interview invite today for March 24 few minutes after i sent in an application update and iterating my desire in the school.

Reactions: 3 users
I received an II a week ago for March 27th and very excited to check this school out. Anyone know what type of format the interview is (Panel, MMI, one one one)?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how strong the preference is for the southern applicants? Are there people from other states that get in on a regular basis, or is this like applying to an in state school?

Does anyone know how strong the preference is for the southern applicants? Are there people from other states that get in on a regular basis, or is this like applying to an in state school?
From what I was told, people from the "gulf south region" are preferred because of their likeliness to practice medicine in those states; specifically, they would like to train physicians to practice in Mississippi. However, that does not mean that a qualified applicant from Michigan, or any other non-gulf south state, wouldn't get a look from the admissions committee. I saw plenty of people from other places when I interviewed, but if I recall correctly, the schools demographics were pretty spot on with their mission statement.

My son was accepted to WCU, and he is from Denver, CO. If you are not from the gulf south region, and have an interest in WCU, apply!

Ya I got in and Im from Utah, but I'm sure there aren't a lot of us from outside the gulf coast.

Numbers wise, definitely nothing eye popping. Trust me... I think I did have a lot of unique/demanding leadership and extracurricular activities though so I think I stood out that way. My personality and overall mission statement just fell really well with the school and admission committee too. Just good timing and a little bit of luck that I got accepted at such a good school with a lot of potential, especially being from the west and having relatively no connections to MS. It just felt right being there compared to other interviews. You can tell its going to be a special school with close knit students. Im sorry about being so vague about my "stats".

Numbers wise, definitely nothing eye popping. Trust me... I think I did have a lot of unique/demanding leadership and extracurricular activities though so I think I stood out that way. My personality and overall mission statement just fell really well with the school and admission committee too. Just good timing and a little bit of luck that I got accepted at such a good school with a lot of potential, especially being from the west and having relatively no connections to MS. It just felt right being there compared to other interviews. You can tell its going to be a special school with close knit students. Im sorry about being so vague about my "stats".
You and I were both in a pretty early interview spot this cycle, so we couldn't have the worst of stats. Especially since we are both accepted! I hope all your classes went well last semester and that you got to ski like a boss.

Hello all!

I'm excited to say that I have been invited for an interview towards the end of April!
If anyone would like to eat dinner/hang out the night before the interview, let me know. I'll buy! I'm very interested in this school, and would love to pick your brain over something good to eat. PM me if interested!

You and I were both in a pretty early interview spot this cycle, so we couldn't have the worst of stats. Especially since we are both accepted! I hope all your classes went well last semester and that you got to ski like a boss.
Haha ya not so much, Ill be boarding for the first time (and probably last time for a while) this Thursday so I'm pretty stoked. Ya I hope all goes well for you and Ill plan on seeing you end of July!

Haha ya not so much, Ill be boarding for the first time (and probably last time for a while) this Thursday so I'm pretty stoked. Ya I hope all goes well for you and Ill plan on seeing you end of July!
Awesome! So you made the decision to go to WCUCOM?

I've seen people on here trading interview dates.... I'm assuming that's frowned upon? I just got an II today and am super excited, but it's the same day I'm supposed to present my undergraduate research at a conference. Any advice? Anyone know how big of a deal it would be to try to trade interview dates?

Last edited:
You may consider contacting the admission's office as soon as possible to see if there are any other interview dates open. I don't think they like it when students "trade" dates. However, I'm sure they'll accommodate you the best they can. Good luck!

I am fully committed to this school now that my cycle is over. This has been a hard app year so if you are leaning on this school know that it will get the job done and it has some of the best people I have ever met going there.

Has anybody who was recently accepted been added to the Facebook group? I got my acceptance a few weeks ago and have yet to get an invite. I'm kinda anxious to see who our classmates will be.

Has anybody who was recently accepted been added to the Facebook group? I got my acceptance a few weeks ago and have yet to get an invite. I'm kinda anxious to see who our classmates will be.
I got accepted at the end of October and don't have a Facebook. Perhaps I should get one, though.

It would be wise. They share a lot of helpful information
I'm actually driving into Hattiesburg right now so perhaps I'll work on that this week. Another student and myself are looking for places to live.

Is it Spring Break for WCUCOM this week? I called the office yesterday using a couple numbers and no one answered, which is unusual.

Is it Spring Break for WCUCOM this week? I called the office yesterday using a couple numbers and no one answered, which is unusual.
It is. Another matriculating student and myself are in Hattiesburg looking for a home and tried to visit the campus to no avail.

It is. Another matriculating student and myself are in Hattiesburg looking for a home and tried to visit the campus to no avail.
Yep, it's officially spring break here. I'm a current first year, and am in town, so if you're still in town and would like to check out the (mostly empty) campus, hit me up.