William Carey University (WCUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How is the order determined? Alphabetically?
At my interview they let the applicants decide what order they wanted to go, largely determined on what their travel plans were.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is so quiet. Any news regarding recent interviews? Currently wait listed so this is my only outlet of waiting anxiety lol :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! Long time lurker here, decided to finally give in and join. WCU is my top school of choice! Really the only one I want to go to. Have a few friends here and they all have great things to say about the school. I have an interview here tomorrow so I will let everyone know how it goes/what's new. I'm so nervous but at the same time keeping my fingers crossed that it all goes well. I've been told it's pretty straightforward and just to be myself. I'm very shy and sometimes tend to get tongue-tied if I'm put on the spot (especially for something as big as this, which will basically determine my future!). Any advice from people who've already interviewed and gotten in?

Hello everyone! Long time lurker here, decided to finally give in and join. WCU is my top school of choice! Really the only one I want to go to. Have a few friends here and they all have great things to say about the school. I have an interview here tomorrow so I will let everyone know how it goes/what's new. I'm so nervous but at the same time keeping my fingers crossed that it all goes well. I've been told it's pretty straightforward and just to be myself. I'm very shy and sometimes tend to get tongue-tied if I'm put on the spot (especially for something as big as this, which will basically determine my future!). Any advice from people who've already interviewed and gotten in?

You've got the best advice already. Just be yourself. Be ready for the standard why medicine, DO, Carey, etc. The interview is pretty laid back and conversational. If there is some kind of outlier on your application, you may be asked about it. They may also ask you about what you are considering going into for residency. We're a pretty friendly bunch and you'll see us at lunch tomorrow. Good Luck!

WCUCOM 2015 Match Statistics? A second year student at Western-Lebanon just indicated that they just had a 90% ACGME match which put them as the top DO school to be matched. Does anyone have WCUCOM 2015 match statistics?

Any body knows what's the ACGME Match list for this year? Where and which programs did the graduating class matched? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
You've got the best advice already. Just be yourself. Be ready for the standard why medicine, DO, Carey, etc. The interview is pretty laid back and conversational. If there is some kind of outlier on your application, you may be asked about it. They may also ask you about what you are considering going into for residency. We're a pretty friendly bunch and you'll see us at lunch tomorrow. Good Luck!

I interview here on Friday. Please, i would like to know the mode of interview, is it 1-1 or panel interview and are we going to be asked to write any essay when we get there. I'll appreciate any responce

I interview here on Friday. Please, i would like to know the mode of interview, is it 1-1 or panel interview and are we going to be asked to write any essay when we get there. I'll appreciate any responce
It's a panel (3 interviews to 1 interviewee) and Dr. Weir will be one of them. Simple questions that are ubiquitous at all interviews, plus a few school specific (why William Carey? Etc...).

Been asked multiple times. Try a thread search first next time.

can anyone recommend a motel to stay. Interviewing on friday

can anyone recommend a motel to stay. Interviewing on friday

There should be a recommendation for the Baymont Inn in your interview invite. They used to give a discount to applicants.

I recommend the Fairfield Inn or the Courtyard by Marriott. They're within a 15-20 minute drive and the Fairfield has a decent free breakfast. Runs about 80-90 a night.

Anyone know if the class is full yet?

Hey guys, I'm trying to get to know as many of my future classmates as possible before July comes around. I'm anti Facebook and don't have one, so, if you're accepted and definitely going to WCUCOM in the fall, please feel free to message me on here!

Hi guys! My secondary was confirmed though mail on 3-21-15. Does anyone know if interview offers are still being extended?

Hi guys! My secondary was confirmed though mail on 3-21-15. Does anyone know if interview offers are still being extended?
Yes. Completing a secondary before the deadline is still considered very late. You'll have to have stellar stats to get an interview invite this late. Improbable, but not impossible. Good luck!

By the time your stuff gets processed they will be ready to start looking at apps for next cycle. Why would you apply so late in the cycle?

WCUCOM is still actively conducting interviews.

Last edited:
Please take what many people say with a grain of salt. I do not know when your PRIMARY was complete, so I will not imply anything as to the timeline of your SECONDARY. If WCUCOM sent you a primary and you filled it out within a reasonable timeframe and sent it back in, then you are fine. They just confirmed receipt of your secondary a week ago, so no need to worry just yet. They are still, very much, conducting interviews. As one poster above you stated, the class is no where near full yet. WCUCOM is purposefully slow and methodical with their selection process. One thing that you can find encouragement in is that if they sent you a secondary, they WANT to meet you in person. They do NOT send out secondaries to every applicant, like some schools. I can only advise you as to how I would handle things if I were in your shoes. First, I would send a thank you email to the admissions dept. (Attn Mrs. Donna or Mrs. Libby) thanking them for the secondary application. Then, I would email Dr. Weir and ask him what the status of your application is, at this point. I want to encourage you to be persistent and never give up chasing your goals in life. Once you get into medical school, find a few people that you trust and can lean on when times are tough. If you get in at WCUCOM, message me and I can pass on some names of people that I know are wonderful people and will happily help you navigate the bumpy road of medical school. Good luck and best wishes!

Please take what many people say with a grain of salt. I do not know when your PRIMARY was complete, so I will not imply anything as to the timeline of your SECONDARY. If WCUCOM sent you a primary and you filled it out within a reasonable timeframe and sent it back in, then you are fine. They just confirmed receipt of your secondary a week ago, so no need to worry just yet. They are still, very much, conducting interviews. As one poster above you stated, the class is no where near full yet. WCUCOM is purposefully slow and methodical with their selection process. One thing that you can find encouragement in is that if they sent you a secondary, they WANT to meet you in person. They do NOT send out secondaries to every applicant, like some schools. I can only advise you as to how I would handle things if I were in your shoes. First, I would send a thank you email to the admissions dept. (Attn Mrs. Donna or Mrs. Libby) thanking them for the secondary application. Then, I would email Dr. Weir and ask him what the status of your application is, at this point. I want to encourage you to be persistent and never give up chasing your goals in life. Once you get into medical school, find a few people that you trust and can lean on when times are tough. If you get in at WCUCOM, message me and I can pass on some names of people that I know are wonderful people and will happily help you navigate the bumpy road of medical school. Good luck and best wishes!
Most of this is good advice OP and I would do these things. However should you not get in this round and you reapply get your application in much earlier like July. If you did apply that early And WCUCOM is just now getting the secondary to you well your app is most likely weak. Consider addressing those weakness before you reapply. Med school is hard and applying can be a super heart braking process. However you can find success if you follow the guidelines and one of those guideline is apply early and broadly. Best of luck to you in all your future endeavors OP.

Most of this is good advice OP and I would do these things. However should you not get in this round and you reapply get your application in much earlier like July. If you did apply that early And WCUCOM is just now getting the secondary to you well your app is most likely weak. Consider addressing those weakness before you reapply. Med school is hard and applying can be a super heart braking process. However you can find success if you follow the guidelines and one of those guideline is apply early and broadly. Best of luck to you in all your future endeavors OP.
It is not fair to say that the OP's app is "most likely weak." I know of people that had MCAT's of 27 with a 3.5 GPA that applied early last cycle and did not get in that cycle. They enrolled in a masters program and are re-applying this cycle. Those people have just now gotten secondaries from WCUCOM. The reason is that WCUCOM was waiting for updated grades from AACOMAS to see how those students performed in the harder science classes that they were taking in the fall. I also know of undergrads that are applying this cycle that submitted their primary in November and only recently got a secondary because, again, WCUCOM was waiting for grades to update from AACOMAS. Often, there are situations that have nothing to do with "weakness" that causes a delay in receiving a secondary. Another student that I know had perfectly acceptable stats and originally paid for and submitted their primary in December and, due to an issue with AACOMAS, WCUCOM only received their primary in late February. That person just received their secondary the first week of March and returned it the next week. Making generalizations about the strength of an application based simply off of a date is not a safe response. However, your statement regarding applying early is phenomenal advice, as this give a cushion for issues that are unforeseen.

It is not fair to say that the OP's app is "most likely weak." I know of people that had MCAT's of 27 with a 3.5 GPA that applied early last cycle and did not get in that cycle. They enrolled in a masters program and are re-applying this cycle. Those people have just now gotten secondaries from WCUCOM. The reason is that WCUCOM was waiting for updated grades from AACOMAS to see how those students performed in the harder science classes that they were taking in the fall. I also know of undergrads that are applying this cycle that submitted their primary in November and only recently got a secondary because, again, WCUCOM was waiting for grades to update from AACOMAS. Often, there are situations that have nothing to do with "weakness" that causes a delay in receiving a secondary. Another student that I know had perfectly acceptable stats and originally paid for and submitted their primary in December and, due to an issue with AACOMAS, WCUCOM only received their primary in late February. That person just received their secondary the first week of March and returned it the next week. Making generalizations about the strength of an application based simply off of a date is not a safe response. However, your statement regarding applying early is phenomenal advice, as this give a cushion for issues that are unforeseen.
Persons in WCUCOMs masters program would most likely not have asked the question as they did because they have a better source right in front of them everyday. Also applying while currently enrolled in a masters program is a weakness as it gives you the time delay as you pointed out at many schools. So unless a school guarantees admission for those in its masters program ( which I am not aware of any that do) you can see how that is a disadvantage. The best way to prevent this is to apply after completing the master program.
January is late. December is late. If your primary app is not marked complete and sent to your schools by the last day in July you are late. Failing to have a school mark your entire application complete before the last day in August makes you late. This gives you a disadvantage and is a weakness. Med schools have rolling admission which means your chances of acceptance go down as the cycle continues. WCUCOM is no different. Stats are more than scores. A person with a 3.9 and a 35 MCAT that completed there primary in January has about the same chances to get in as someone with a 2.8 GPA and 23 mCAT that was complete in August.
It is a chances game. Some people do beat the odds every year, they are outliers and don't reflect the majority. Some people do every thing right and still don't get in. They too are outliers. I nor anybody else can give good advice and factor in every outlier. My advice isn't perfect it is just advice on a public forum. Take it or leave it however I stand by my comments, it is most likely the OP has a weakness of some kind that delayed WCUCOM from sending a secondary to them. If the OP cares to send me a pm I would be happy to discuss it.

Thank you premednontrad and worldchanger36 for the helpful advice!

Persons in WCUCOMs masters program would most likely not have asked the question as they did because they have a better source right in front of them everyday. Also applying while currently enrolled in a masters program is a weakness as it gives you the time delay as you pointed out at many schools. So unless a school guarantees admission for those in its masters program ( which I am not aware of any that do) you can see how that is a disadvantage. The best way to prevent this is to apply after completing the master program.
January is late. December is late. If your primary app is not marked complete and sent to your schools by the last day in July you are late. Failing to have a school mark your entire application complete before the last day in August makes you late. This gives you a disadvantage and is a weakness. Med schools have rolling admission which means your chances of acceptance go down as the cycle continues. WCUCOM is no different. Stats are more than scores. A person with a 3.9 and a 35 MCAT that completed there primary in January has about the same chances to get in as someone with a 2.8 GPA and 23 mCAT that was complete in August.
It is a chances game. Some people do beat the odds every year, they are outliers and don't reflect the majority. Some people do every thing right and still don't get in. They too are outliers. I nor anybody else can give good advice and factor in every outlier. My advice isn't perfect it is just advice on a public forum. Take it or leave it however I stand by my comments, it is most likely the OP has a weakness of some kind that delayed WCUCOM from sending a secondary to them. If the OP cares to send me a pm I would be happy to discuss it.
I agree with most everything that you said except for a couple of things. First, applying while in masters program is in NO way a weakness. Actually, it is just the opposite. You are proving that you can handle content that is deemed MUCH harder than any undergrad science course. That does not delay your app in any way. You pay, submit, get verified and your app is released. Once grades posts, you update AACOMAS and they release your update. Now, WCUCOM can and does hold out for those grades but that does not put you at a "disadvantage." That is my opinion, and we all have one! The second thing that I disagree with regarding the OP. The first question you posed to them was asking why they APPLIED so late and then stated that they will be ready to view next cycles apps by the time their info is processed. I do not think that is reasonable to assume that if their secondary is received as of 3-21 that it will take until May (when next cycle starts) to get their secondary looked at by the committee. They may not have applied late.....they got a secondary late. Your question about whether they have weaknesses that delayed the secondary is a very valid point though.

Last edited:
Thank you premednontrad and worldchanger36 for the helpful advice!
You're welcome. Obviously, I love WCUCOM and will be happy to pass on my personal experiences with the school to anyone that asks! There are many posters that can offer insight and their perspective on just about any topic. The beauty of SDN is that you get many perspectives on varying topics. Both myself and worldchanger36 only seek to help in any way that we can. I wish you the best of luck!

My primary was complete January 1, I received a secondary February 15th and sent it in before the end of February. The snow and ice I assume explain the late confirmation of application. I have a 3.2 total science GPA, 3.6 graduate science GPA, 25 mcat. I have 2 years experience in the emergency room as a tech, 5 research publications (radiology stroke research), and many conference presentations.
I will take in all of your advise for this cycle with best hopes. If I need to apply again improving mcat, GPA, and applying early will be my course of action. WCUCOM has something special and it is my top choice. I have no plans of giving up. Addressing these questions through providing different opinions is very helpful to all pre-do students. Thanks again!

Hi everyone. Are there any international students (non-US citizen and Non-green card holder) who got accepted at WCUCOM? Can you guide me about the I-20 process and the loan application to the US banks?

I agree with most everything that you said except for a couple of things. First, applying while in masters program is in NO way a weakness. Actually, it is just the opposite. You are proving that you can handle content that is deemed MUCH harder than any undergrad science course. That does not delay your app in any way. You pay, submit, get verified and your app is released. Once grades posts, you update AACOMAS and they release your update. Now, WCUCOM can and does hold out for those grades but that does not put you at a "disadvantage." That is my opinion, and we all have one! The second thing that I disagree with regarding the OP. The first question you posed to them was asking why they APPLIED so late and then stated that they will be ready to view next cycles apps by the time their info is processed. I do not think that is reasonable to assume that if their secondary is received as of 3-21 that it will take until May (when next cycle starts) to get their secondary looked at by the committee. They may not have applied late.....they got a secondary late. Your question about whether they have weaknesses that delayed the secondary is a very valid point though.
Your statement about masters programs is the hope of many students, however the truth is many medical schools only see this on completion of the program. However I get what you saying and I agree it is a plus but is it enough of a plus to over come the time delay? As each cycle gets more and more competitive schools are expecting more and more. The time delay that applying while in a masters is more harmful than half time grades are helpful. To maximize the likelihood of acceptance it is very important that the applicant be very successful in the masters program and that when they apply their application is reviewed as soon as possible. To obtain both of these goals It is better to concentrate on rocking out that program and apply after completion. I have multiple reasons to base this on, one being my own experience and another the successes and failure of others in SMPs and the very nature of both types of applications ACCOMAS and AMCAS. Also multiple applications is also not a good thing so as it is commonly thought to why not take your chances and apply is bad advice. With each application schools expect academic and personal progress above and beyond the last application cycle. In other words it is expected you have something more to offer than you had before. Say you apply while in a masters program and don't get in what more do you have to offer next cycle? When did you have time to prepare for the next cycle? You can see it is easy to get behind.
This is why I say applying while in a masters program is a disadvantage and a weakness.

My primary was complete January 1, I received a secondary February 15th and sent it in before the end of February. The snow and ice I assume explain the late confirmation of application. I have a 3.2 total science GPA, 3.6 graduate science GPA, 25 mcat. I have 2 years experience in the emergency room as a tech, 5 research publications (radiology stroke research), and many conference presentations.
I will take in all of your advise for this cycle with best hopes. If I need to apply again improving mcat, GPA, and applying early will be my course of action. WCUCOM has something special and it is my top choice. I have no plans of giving up. Addressing these questions through providing different opinions is very helpful to all pre-do students. Thanks again!
As far as numbers go, your stats are fine for WCUCOM. Your total science GPA is somewhat low but you certainly countered that with a great graduate science GPA! Your MCAT is in the acceptable range. If you do not get in and know that you can improve your MCAT, then go for it. You have experience in the medical field, which is also a plus. You are published and well versed in presenting to large groups. Make sure that you have LOTS of EC's and volunteer info on your app. If you forgot ANYTHING that you can think of to show that you are community-minded and are truly altruistic, then go back today and update your app. AACOMAS will get that info right over to Carey. The COM downloads updates every Wednesday morning, so if you do it this weekend, it could get there this week. I say that b/c that is huge to them. If you end applying again, just continue volunteering and shadowing a DO over the next year and apply a little earlier. You got this!

That is good news!! Will do on the DO shadowing and continuing community service.( I forgot to add I volunteered at a Spanish English free clinic this year 150 hours ( similar work to ER). I included that in my accomas app and personal statement).

Last edited:

Well your stats are better than mine, just a slightly higher mcat. Of course there's always room for improvement but I think you should have probably submitted your application a lot earlier....I got an interview invite.

That is good news!! Will do on the DO shadowing and continuing community service.( I forgot to add I volunteered at a Spanish English free clinic this year 150 hours ( similar work to ER). I included that in my accomas app and personal statement).
DO you have a letter of recommendation from a DO?

I just withdrew from the program. Good luck to those interviewing soon!

I got pulled off the waitlist at another program closer to home.
That's good for you, but it sucks for us. You knew what Chicago Hope was, as is evident by your picture, which would have enriched all of our lives. Which school did you get into?

That's good for you, but it sucks for us. You knew what Chicago Hope was, as is evident by your picture, which would have enriched all of our lives. Which school did you get into?
TCOM

That's a great school! I live in Texas and got rejected from there, so that's awesome. Congratulations to you! I hope you like the art district in Fort Worth.

No I have 2 MD recommendations. I have spoken with 2 DOs about osteopathic medicine and their specialties. I chose to pursue DO school because after researching the osteopathic approach and the way students are taught, I thought it was the best choice for a well rounded medical education.

No I have 2 MD recommendations. I have spoken with 2 DOs about osteopathic medicine and their specialties. I chose to pursue DO school because after researching the osteopathic approach and the way students are taught, I thought it was the best choice for a well rounded medical education.
Ok the MD recoms should sub for a DO letter. I would also like to point out ( some may disagree) that it is a myth that DOs have a more rounded medical education than MDs. Education is the same. The main difference is DO have to learn OPP and may depending on the specialty of choice also have to take the USMLE as well as the COMLEX to get into some non AOA residencies. Both paths make awesome doctors and both have ups and downs. Neither is better than the other. Carey does have stronger student to student bonds than many other schools I interviewed at. Part of the reason I selected Carey over other schools like ACOM and LECOM.

Ok the MD recoms should sub for a DO letter. I would also like to point out ( some may disagree) that it is a myth that DOs have a more rounded medical education than MDs. Education is the same. The main difference is DO have to learn OPP and may depending on the specialty of choice also have to take the USMLE as well as the COMLEX to get into some non AOA residencies. Both paths make awesome doctors and both have ups and downs. Neither is better than the other. Carey does have stronger student to student bonds than many other schools I interviewed at. Part of the reason I selected Carey over other schools like ACOM and LECOM.
I noticed that when interviewing at WCUCOM and ACOM myself. I'm glad someone else noticed that! Also, I agree with you about the quality of education between MD and DO. I would logically assume that the quality of a physician is dependent on the individual more than anyone/anything else - such as school, specialty of choice, etc... - but all of that could help influence the individual so they're not completely separate.

I noticed that when interviewing at WCUCOM and ACOM myself. I'm glad someone else noticed that! Also, I agree with you about the quality of education between MD and DO. I would logically assume that the quality of a physician is dependent on the individual more than anyone/anything else - such as school, specialty of choice, etc... - but all of that could help influence the individual so they're not completely separate.
Agreed 100 percent. Glad we are classmates and I do look forward to meeting you on acceptance day