Windsor University School of Medicine produces profits, few doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taurus

Paul Revere of Medicine
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone I knew went here. I tried to warn her but she didn't listen.

Windsor University School of Medicine produces profits, few doctors

By Kris Hundley, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Monday, February 1, 2010

A year ago, Tawfiq Rahman was enrolled in Windsor University School of Medicine in St. Kitts, trying to borrow money for his education.

But when an official at his school confirmed his student status for the lender, Sallie Mae, Rahman got a shock:

The letter said he was a full-time student "in good academic standing" at Midwest Institute of Massage Therapy in Belleville, Ill.

Rahman, a 22-year old U.S. citizen from Yonkers, N.Y., had never heard of the massage school, which is owned by Windsor's president and his wife.

But Rahman said he and dozens of other U.S. students were told the same thing: If you want a Sallie Mae loan, you have to say you're attending Midwest.

Rahman, who refused to go along with the arrangement, is among several students who recently lodged complaints with elected officials here and in St. Kitts against Windsor, owned by Dr. Srivinas R. Gaddam.

Gaddam, 47, did not respond to numerous requests for comment about Windsor, one of several educational ventures he owns.

As jobless rates soar and promises of work in the health care sector beckon, more Americans of all ages are headed back to school for a range of medical careers. While jumping into physician training in the highly competitive U.S. educational system is unrealistic for most people, a growing number of schools in the Caribbean are willing to feed the dream for a price.

But buyer beware. Oversight of offshore schools by U.S. regulators is minimal to nonexistent. Promises made over the Internet can evaporate once students arrive in a foreign country, leaving them with little recourse. Credits earned at such schools often can't be transferred. And guarantees of training slots in U.S. hospitals — key to getting a physician's license in the States — can prove illusory as fast-growing schools accept more students than they can ever place.

The U.S. Department of Education is considering whether to expand the number of foreign medical schools whose U.S. students would be eligible for federal financial aid. Now, only a handful of Caribbean schools, including Ross University School of Medicine in Dominica, St. George's University in Grenada and American University of the Caribbean in St. Maarten, qualify.

Students at schools like Windsor have not been eligible for direct federal aid. But if these students receive high-interest loans through U.S. lenders and high-paying careers don't materialize, they can be on the hook for life, and taxpayers can be tapped for lender bailouts.

Mark Kantrowitz, an expert on educational financing and publisher of www.finaid.org, said Caribbean medical schools can help ease a doctor shortage in the United States.

"That being said, we need to ensure these schools meet our quality standards," he said. "If a college is bypassing the federal requirements and bypassing lender requirements, it subverts the entire system."

Windsor officials declined to comment on student loan arrangements. According to its Web site, "Student can still take any private loans from banks, federal loans" and they are told to contact the office for the school code.

Mediha Aziz said she paid $50 to fill out a Windsor loan application last year and later learned it was used to "enroll" her in Midwest Institute of Massage. After the loan failed to materialize, Aziz, a 19-year-old premed student, returned to her home in New York in the spring.

"They made promises that did not make sense," she said.

A spokeswoman for Sallie Mae said the lender stopped making private loans to Midwest Institute of Massage students last February, when it tightened lending as a result of the credit crunch. Prior to that, it had lent $500,000 to 26 people who were allegedly students at the school, or about $20,000 per student. The lender could not provide information on the number of those students who have defaulted on their loans.

Sallie Mae has never made private loans to students of foreign medical schools like Windsor if those schools also do not qualify for federal educational loans.

Regarding students' claims that Windsor students were getting loans through Midwest, Sallie Mae's spokeswoman, Martha Holler, said the lender was investigating the situation.

"We were unaware of any relationship with the medical school in St. Kitts," she said.

Easy admission

Over the past decade, Windsor's popularity has grown through word of mouth, particularly among South Asian families living in the United States and Canada. The school in Basseterre reportedly had an enrollment of 1,200 last fall, including several students from Florida. According to its Web site, Windsor welcomed its largest entering class ever — 250 students — in January.

Prospective students don't need the MCAT, the standard medical school entry test, or even a college degree. Instead, the school offers bargain-basement tuition to all comers: $3,990 each semester for premed students and $4,990 for medical students.

Rahman, who never got a Sallie Mae loan, said he and other students were attracted to Windsor by the pricing, believed to be the lowest of any school in the Caribbean. Though they were assured the fee was all-inclusive, students quickly discovered otherwise. They said college housing was bug-ridden and filthy, so they had little choice but to fork out $300 to $400 per month for private apartments. Other extra charges included $80 for a nonexistent community service project, a $200 hurricane fee and a $300 textbook deposit. Then there was the unpleasant surprise of "retake" fees.

Fail a final exam — and a large percentage of each class does, the students said — and students said they would have to pay $100 for the first retake, $1,000 for the second and $2,500 for the third.

Rahman, who said he did well in undergraduate classes at Baylor University in Texas before enrolling at Windsor, said he and his classmates were stunned to find that questions on their final exams had little to do with material they covered in class. Students said the finals were not written by Windsor faculty and often bore the names of U.S. schools.

"The embryology final had a lot of genetics, the physiology had lots of renal questions," said Rahman, who failed one class his first semester and three the second. "Every time I'd retake the exam, my grade would go down. I kept failing and the school kept racking up the money."

In apparent response to the high student failure rate, Gaddam posted several "letters from the president" on the Windsor Web site last fall, offering study tips and urging hard work.

"Retake exam fees was (sic) only a reason for all the students to study hard and pass the exams on time," he wrote. "I have recommended for a drastic reduction in the retake exam fees as of January 2010. I will do the best I can in my life helping you all in everyway (sic) I can and rest I will leave it to ALMIGHTY GOD."

Gaddam attended medical schools in India and has told students he held a residency in the United States. But, despite repeated attempts, Gaddam never passed the final U.S. Medical Licensing Exam and is not licensed to practice in the United States.

Students said complaining to Gaddam or other Windsor administrators, many of whom are related to the president, led only to trouble. Mariam Ahmed, 21, said she was abruptly expelled in November for "anti-school activities," which she denies.

"Now they have my stuff and said I have to pay $3,400 by the end of January or I won't get it back," the Houston resident said.

Malcolm Dan Twomey, a 37-year-old from Indiana, ran into trouble when he made it known he wanted to transfer out of Windsor. Twomey said he was unable to get his passport, which the school collected at the beginning of the semester for visa processing.

"They kept saying my passport had been misplaced," said Twomey, who figures he spent $30,000 in three semesters at Windsor. "I had to sneak out of the country. I opted for Windsor because Dr. Gaddam said enough of the right things. But from the very beginning, nothing he said came to fruition."

Few success stories

If medical schools are judged on the quality of their graduates, it's difficult to judge the quality at Windsor. The school's Web site lists the name of 56 graduates who reportedly passed all their U.S. medical licensing exams, out of hundreds of enrollees over the years.

While Windsor's total graduation numbers are not known, only 17 graduates are listed on the school's Web site as having landed a residency in the United States. The information is wrong on at least one of them. Dr. Hannie Patel did her residency at the University of Florida, not in Ohio as reported on the school site. Patel is the only Windsor graduate licensed to practice in Florida.

A hospitalist at Morton Plant in Clearwater, Patel said she transferred to Windsor after completing two years of basic science courses at a university in Mexico.

"I never even set foot on the Windsor campus," Patel, 36, said. "I just transferred in so I could set up my own clinical rotations in Miami. I did all the work."

Despite her minimal involvement with Windsor, Patel, one of a dozen graduates in 2002, was reluctant to criticize the school.

"It's my reputation as well," she said. "But any time you go abroad for school, a lot of it is independent study. The stronger a candidate you are, the better you'll do on your own. The goal is passing the boards and getting to your ultimate dream of being a doctor."

Times researcher Will Gorham contributed to this report. Kris Hundley can be reached at [email protected] or (727) 892-2996.

Doctor plans more schools

While Dr. Srinivas Gaddam was dealing with increasing student unrest at Windsor last fall, he was busy laying the groundwork for other ventures. In November, he and his wife announced the opening of Weston Medical College in Turks and Caicos.

"We will do everything we can to bring revenue to this place," Gaddam told island officials, according to a local newspaper story.

As owners of Royal Medical & Technical Consultants in Monee, Ill., Gaddam and his wife, Vinomani, also own hotels in Carbondale, Ill., and Houghton Lake, Mich. Windsor students are required to live in these hotels during their fifth semester while studying to take Step 1 of the U.S. Medical Licensing Exam.

Late last year, Gaddam also was arranging to buy two unused public schools in Houghton Lake for about $200,000. He told local officials he planned to invest $6 million over three years to establish a boarding school for 10th- through 12th-graders. Enrollment in his high school would guarantee admittance into his Caribbean medical schools, Gaddam promised.

Gaddam also owns Doctor Donuts, a "no fat, low fat" fast-food business at his hotel/student dorm in Carbondale. And all of his properties are touted as potential movie-making locations on the Web site of yet another of his ventures: Bollywood Campus, a film company.​

Members don't see this ad.

The cost of going to medical school abroad is a big investment of both time and money.

This is a clear cut warning. Please take note and share this article with every single one of your friends! Prospective students should do their research before ever attending a University in the Caribbean.

I feel terrible for those students attending there. Most have probably had to transfer to some other third tier caribbean program instead.
Personally, I can see the appeal of attending a school that charges so little for the classes. But the extra fees which were mentioned, especially the retake fees, are simply criminal. Instead of encouraging the students, providing them with tutoring and additional educational support, Gaddam is ripping these kids off. He is exploiting them when they are most vulnerable; a time when they are following their dream of practicing medicine.

I hope I never meet that guy.

rlxdmd

Members don't see this ad :)
Boy, I pity Mr. Gaddam. He may be producing profits from his businesses making millions and millions of dollars, but this is a poor way of coping one's failures. Because he failed the boards several times and just quit right there, he's exploiting these kids so he can bring them to his level.

So he failed the boards several times. Why can he just see what he did wrong and rectify those problems? He's pathetic. These kids want to be doctors and I think it's awesome to pursue such dream. But this guy is just a low-life scum. HE'S A FAILURE, and I hope I don't meet this guy either. I don't associate myself with idiots like him.

Mr. Gaddam, stop exploiting these kids, and either retake the boards or just move on with life, and be a man of integrity.

I would like to know what the consequences are of this. I don't go to windsor but I know a couple kids who had. Does this mean it will lose its accreditation? It certainly seems that way if it knowingly engaged in deceptive loan practices. What does that mean for the students who attend? I'm very curious if anyone has info

Honestly, the guy is a marketing genious. He sets the tuition low enough to make a huge profit, gets people in the door, then fees them to death until they pay just as much, if not even more, than the other schools. And the "you have to stay in my hotel for your fifth semester" -- also pure genious. The only thing he forgot to do was sell the answers to the test. After you fail once or twice, he should sell you the answers to the test -- that way you pass, and get to go onto the next step. Extract as much cash from each student as possible. Then, when they fail step 1, no problem since you don't really have any clinical rotations anyway.

Really, he was doing great until he commits loan fraud with Fannie Mae. Idiot. Has lots of property to seize here in the US. Dumb.

That's OK. The whole point of opening a new school in the Turks and Caicos is that Windsor is in trouble. This will give him a clean slate.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow... thats horrible... I hope he gets thrown in jail for loan fraud.

What they're doing to students is terrible.... all those "hidden fees", retake fees, "losing" passports, forcing students to use his hotel....

This is some of the worst I've heard, but every school has some of these elements... hidden fees, forcing students to spend a semester "on campus", students scheduling their own clinical rotations; even issues with the final exam - whether if its to make money directly, get another semester's worth of tuition, or to justify keeping or expelling a student (whether they actually failed the final exam or not).

This article should be reposted everywhere. Even if people don't go to Windsor, they need to look out for clues to these sorts of things happening at every Caribbean school.

I wonder what the ramifications are for graduates; those students that I've referenced have graduated and are in residency positions. I wonder if that means that when they hit licensure the .... will hit the fan? I'm just looking out for their well being...

I wonder what the ramifications are for graduates; those students that I've referenced have graduated and are in residency positions. I wonder if that means that when they hit licensure the .... will hit the fan? I'm just looking out for their well being...

It might be a problem for some... depending on where they are in the process. If they're going for something specific at the time that the school gets investigated or loses accreditation (USMLE, unrestricted liscence, ECMFG cert), they'll stop you right there.

I know a couple of people who ran into problems when St. Christopher's lost accreditation.... but that worked itself out, and they kept on keepin' on

Anyone can speculate on the ramifications?

Anyone can speculate on the ramifications?

getting neurotic?

Nothing has happened yet.... this is just a news article, nobody's charged with anything, and the school isnt going anywhere for now.

As I said, a student/graduate of the school can be denied at any "hurdle"... they can be denied a USMLE scheduling permit, a restricted resident's license, or a full unrestricted liscence... whatever it is that they are applying for. Get denied at an earlier juncture, you're done... get denied at one of the later junctures, and you might be able to fight it, or apply elsewhere.

Gaddam is definitely evil for exploiting these students at a time when they are most vulnerable. Their parents are intent on spending money on them as most of them have parents who can afford any sort of tuition costs. On average good kids are going down there to work hard but they dont have a good set of skills to succeed (especially if they didnt finish undergrad, MCAT, etc) Gaddam, from what i have read on VMD forums doesnt set up any tutoring programs, remediation system to help them out; simply give him more and more money to keep retaking difficult tests.

The smart ones, the mature ones, the ones with life experience will most likely survive this destructive system and successfully match, but the majority are going to get horribly exploited. The schools rep is going to bad for years to come and PDs will take note of this through word of mouth.

IMO, no one should have their dream of being a doctor exploited this way. I know many of those students have posted sending personal email to the president owner - Gaddam, but they dont get any responses. That is reckless, especially from a business model. He should save face and apologize, hire a consultant and make changes. This is will ensure him future revenue.

IMO, his other mistake is that he hires family to run the school and they are from the reports on VMD very difficult to deal with and very "lazy", meaning nothing gets done in a timely manner.

I hope the majority of Windsor students transfer to the other schools. I understand that they cant necessarily transfer to the BIG 3 schools, but anything is better than a criminal system with destructive intent.

rlxdmd

Boy, I pity Mr. Gaddam. He may be producing profits from his businesses making millions and millions of dollars, but this is a poor way of coping one's failures. Because he failed the boards several times and just quit right there, he's exploiting these kids so he can bring them to his level.

So he failed the boards several times. Why can he just see what he did wrong and rectify those problems? He's pathetic. These kids want to be doctors and I think it's awesome to pursue such dream. But this guy is just a low-life scum. HE'S A FAILURE, and I hope I don't meet this guy either. I don't associate myself with idiots like him.

Mr. Gaddam, stop exploiting these kids, and either retake the boards or just move on with life, and be a man of integrity.

I don't think he's doing this to lower those kids to this level, I think he's just doing it because he's a capitalist. He came to the US, failed the boards and so he's got to make money somehow. What better than by creating a business venture that implicitly gives hundreds of tired, weary individuals the (false) hope that they can enter a respectable profession with a high salary potential? As the Program Director said, this guy is business genius if he didn't allegedly commit loan fraud.

The US gov't needs to get this guy for loan fraud, and shut down his crappy school. Any students who have gone through and successfully passed boards and gone through clinical rotations should not be punished for his misdeeds.

I am still amazed that Carib schools this bad remain in business. I feel especially sorry for the 19 year olds who go down there. Where are the parents in this situation? They need to do the homework, don't send your kid to some 2nd rate med school...better to send them to a good state university or a private one in the US with a scholarship, to really set them up for success.

One of the reasons I began posting on this sub forum was to bring a dose of reality to prospective students.

I saw my own cousins, no older than 19 and 20 going for the caribbean route. I thought about the advice I was giving them and their parents. I spent hours talking about the difficulties and shared my personal experiences with them. In the end, they still went, primarily because it is seemingly the easier route to enter.

This is another sparkling example of schools to avoid in the caribbean. I feel that everyone needs to be warned again, the road is smooth at first but very very bumpy towards the end, treacherous even.

Good luck to those that go against sound experienced voices. I will continue to post here in hopes that someone is listening with a clear and open mind.

rlxdmd

One of the reasons I began posting on this sub forum was to bring a dose of reality to prospective students.

I saw my own cousins, no older than 19 and 20 going for the caribbean route. I thought about the advice I was giving them and their parents. I spent hours talking about the difficulties and shared my personal experiences with them. In the end, they still went, primarily because it is seemingly the easier route to enter.

This is another sparkling example of schools to avoid in the caribbean. I feel that everyone needs to be warned again, the road is smooth at first but very very bumpy towards the end, treacherous even.

Good luck to those that go against sound experienced voices. I will continue to post here in hopes that someone is listening with a clear and open mind.

rlxdmd

Since the passing of Owner Srinivas Ghaddam:

Windsor University Board Chair Vidya S. Kora (a Physician from Michigan City, IN) and His Co-Chair Mrs. Vinomani Gaddam (from Beverly Hills Ca) and Administrator Ramesh Mulkanoor (from St Kitts) Fired a Pharmacology Professor Dr. Joseph Anne DeSoto for bad behavior and criminal activity and falsifying reports. They have had to deal with Turbulent issues including lack of Accreditation and denial of Accreditation by CAAM-HP. They had hired several people fast to address this, but in their zeal to hire a bad apple slipped through, namely a known Con artist-Pharmacology teacher named Dr. Joseph Anne Desoto (from West Virgina) with known psychological and criminal issues on his record. They failed to check this guys background creating a public media disaster for the school.

Windsor University Fired a Pharmacology Professor in July/2015 for bad behavior and criminal activity and falsifying reports. Dr. Joseph Anne DeSoto –former pharmacology professor at Windsor University School of Medicine. He was fired after a only SIX weeks for inappropriate conduct with female students and faculty. Some of his accomplishments during his month and a half at Windsor include:

-Sharing tales from his time practicing as a physician (never did a residency. false claim on his part).
-Making false promises to female students and co-workers.

-Continuously bad mouth every single colleague, including Vice Dean Vishal Surrender and promote false information and promoting erroneous information regarding Administrator Ramesh Mulkanoor. (While telling students to be “professional” and only speak good of coworkers).
-Claiming *self indicated* bruises were from a physical altercation with the Dean and also associate dean of Research Dr. Guri Tzivion at Windsor. Security footage infact revealed no fight between the professor and the Deans, men who are about one third the size of Dr. Joseph DeSoto.

-Jospeh Desoto was caught lying to both the University and Local Police. He was deported from the Island of St Kitts for falsifying information and claims.

-Faculty Senate decided to recommended to let go of Dr Jospeh Desoto for mutiple gross misconducts of University Rules and Regulations, including a harrasment of female cowrorker and Falsifying information and reports.

-An arrest warrant was issued for Jospeh Desoto.

With all the free time this disgruntled professor now has due to his unemployment, he pens poorly written articles bashing Windsor–making sure to attach his name and false credentials to every piece of fiction, feeding his giant ego.

Since the passing of Owner Srinivas Ghaddam:

Windsor University Board Chair Vidya S. Kora (a Physician from Michigan City, IN) and His Co-Chair Mrs. Vinomani Gaddam (from Beverly Hills Ca) and Administrator Ramesh Mulkanoor (from St Kitts) Fired a Pharmacology Professor Dr. Joseph Anne DeSoto for bad behavior and criminal activity and falsifying reports. They have had to deal with Turbulent issues including lack of Accreditation and denial of Accreditation by CAAM-HP. They had hired several people fast to address this, but in their zeal to hire a bad apple slipped through, namely a known Con artist-Pharmacology teacher named Dr. Joseph Anne Desoto (from West Virgina) with known psychological and criminal issues on his record. They failed to check this guys background creating a public media disaster for the school.

Windsor University Fired a Pharmacology Professor in July/2015 for bad behavior and criminal activity and falsifying reports. Dr. Joseph Anne DeSoto –former pharmacology professor at Windsor University School of Medicine. He was fired after a only SIX weeks for inappropriate conduct with female students and faculty. Some of his accomplishments during his month and a half at Windsor include:

-Sharing tales from his time practicing as a physician (never did a residency. false claim on his part).
-Making false promises to female students and co-workers.

-Continuously bad mouth every single colleague, including Vice Dean Vishal Surrender and promote false information and promoting erroneous information regarding Administrator Ramesh Mulkanoor. (While telling students to be “professional” and only speak good of coworkers).
-Claiming *self indicated* bruises were from a physical altercation with the Dean and also associate dean of Research Dr. Guri Tzivion at Windsor. Security footage infact revealed no fight between the professor and the Deans, men who are about one third the size of Dr. Joseph DeSoto.

-Jospeh Desoto was caught lying to both the University and Local Police. He was deported from the Island of St Kitts for falsifying information and claims.

-Faculty Senate decided to recommended to let go of Dr Jospeh Desoto for mutiple gross misconducts of University Rules and Regulations, including a harrasment of female cowrorker and Falsifying information and reports.

-An arrest warrant was issued for Jospeh Desoto.

With all the free time this disgruntled professor now has due to his unemployment, he pens poorly written articles bashing Windsor–making sure to attach his name and false credentials to every piece of fiction, feeding his giant ego.
That post was from six years ago. Regardless, Windsor has a notoriously bad and well earned reputation in these forums. No one should attend there for any reason whatsoever, even if it were free to do so.

Reactions: 1 users
That post was from six years ago. Regardless, Windsor has a notoriously bad and well earned reputation in these forums. No one should attend there for any reason whatsoever, even if it were free to do so.

NO this is NEW Information.

Public Media Disaster and No, CAAM-HP Accreditation for this School

Windsor University Board Chair Vidya S. Kora (a Physician from Michigan City, IN) and His Co-Chair Mrs. VinomaniGhaddam (from Beverly Hills Ca) and Administrator RameshMulkanoor(from St Kitts) Fired a Pharmacology Professor Dr. JosephAnneDEsoto for bad behavior and criminal activity and falsifying reports.
-They have had to deal with Turbulent issues including lack of Accreditation and denial of Accreditation by CAAM-HP this past two years.
-They had hired several people fast to address this, but in their zeal to hire a bad apple slipped through, namely a known Con artist-Pharmacology teacher named Dr. JosephAnneDEsoto (from West Virgina) with known psychological and criminal issues on his record.
-They failed to check this guys background creating a public media disaster for the school.
-They also got rid of their long time provost Dr RichardMargoles, who could not deliver on the accreditation form CAAM-HP.
-Future does not look bright for these guys.
- CAAH-HP has so far denied them Accreditation with numerous NEGATIVE CITATIONs on the record.

NO this is NEW Information.

Public Media Disaster and No, CAAM-HP Accreditation for this School

Windsor University Board Chair Vidya S. Kora (a Physician from Michigan City, IN) and His Co-Chair Mrs. VinomaniGhaddam (from Beverly Hills Ca) and Administrator RameshMulkanoor(from St Kitts) Fired a Pharmacology Professor Dr. JosephAnneDEsoto for bad behavior and criminal activity and falsifying reports.
-They have had to deal with Turbulent issues including lack of Accreditation and denial of Accreditation by CAAM-HP this past two years.
-They had hired several people fast to address this, but in their zeal to hire a bad apple slipped through, namely a known Con artist-Pharmacology teacher named Dr. JosephAnneDEsoto (from West Virgina) with known psychological and criminal issues on his record.
-They failed to check this guys background creating a public media disaster for the school.
-They also got rid of their long time provost Dr RichardMargoles, who could not deliver on the accreditation form CAAM-HP.
-Future does not look bright for these guys.
- CAAH-HP has so far denied them Accreditation with numerous NEGATIVE CITATIONs on the record.
Nobody cares, dude. That school is a piece of trash. No intelligent individual would seriously consider going there.

Reactions: 1 user