"Wingmen Forever: How the Anesthesiologist is Portrayed in Popular Culture"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carbocation1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://anesthesiologynews.com/ViewA...ary&d_id=449&i=July+2015&i_id=1203&a_id=32984

"While disappointing, this is not all that surprising. Deep down I believe we all know that, our protestations notwithstanding, we have chosen to be sidekicks: Ed McMahon to Johnny Carson, Sancho Panza to Don Quixote; helpful and smart at times, important to the plot line always, but forever the wingmen."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Disappointment comes from unmet expectations. If you were expecting to be the rockstar/shortstop/quarterback by going into anesthesiology, you didn't do enough research.

I always liken our place to the pitcher-catcher scenario.
Maybe that's because I was a baseball player for a long time.
The pitcher is like the surgeon, very temperamental. When things are going well then the pitcher (surgeon) is all fun and games.
When the pitcher is getting rocked then they need someone to either talk them down, redirect them, refocus their attention, or call to the bullpen.
The catcher (anesthesiologist) is the one controlling the game. Making the necessary changes to

Reactions: 9 users
Fine by me. Wingman gets to bounce when things get boring or ugly. Like clinic, consults, follow ups, and long term care lasting beyond discharge from pacu.

In another way, being a wingman means being an ally of the OR suite. Be friends with everyone, go with the flow, and take control when it's critical. Same thing you'd do with your buddy at a bar.

A few weeks ago, I had a unusual string of patients who asked how long it takes to become an anesthesiologist. I said 12 years for undergrad, med school, and residency. They were surprised I was even a doctor and not a nurse even though I introduced myself as one. Oh well. Whatever.

On the other hand, I do often get pts who wake up, open their eyes, and immediately thank me profusely in the OR and PACU for providing good anesthesia because they're not in pain and don't remember a thing. Nurses are also grateful because their job is easier. All that is good enough for me. Sorry to anyone who needs more to determine their own self worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The pitcher is like the surgeon, very temperamental. When things are going well then the pitcher (surgeon) is all fun and games.
When the pitcher is getting rocked then they need someone to either talk them down, redirect them, refocus their attention, or call to the bullpen.
The catcher (anesthesiologist) is the one controlling the game. Making the necessary changes to
Nice. I also like the goal-keeper comparison. Planning how the ball is spread, directing how the defense is set up, and of course, saving the team when **** hits the fan. Not as flashy a position as the diva goal-scorer, but just as important, if not more.

Reactions: 1 user
The problem we have is that the main character in our story usually sucks.

How many surgeons out of 100 can you say are really good?

I would say about 3. The rest suck.

Reactions: 3 users

hmmm i tend to think of something else all together when you say the surgeon is the pitcher and the anesthesiologist is the catcher
not that there is anything wrong with that

From the "not a real doctor" peanut gallery, the fun poked at the aspiring anesthesiologist was that they would always be the surgeon's bitch.

Surgeon: "More trendelenburg, please."
Anesthesiologist: "Yes, sir :(... trendelenburging..."
Surgeon: "That's too much damn trendelenburg!"
Anesthesiologist: "Sorry, my liege, un-trendelenburging..."
Surgeon: "If my patient stops breathing Ima kickurass... dammit another bleeder..."
Anesthesiologist: "Yes, sir, understood, sir..."
Surgeon: "Can't want to dead lift tonight, saving lives is hard work..."
Anesthesiologist: ...

So what he's saying is I'm Han Solo to the surgeon's Luke Skywalker?

Fine by me.

A different perspective, from Morgan & Mikhail's:

"The practice of anesthesia has changed dramatically since the days of John Snow. The modern anesthesiologist is now both a perioperative consultant and a primary deliverer of care to patients. In general, anesthesiologists manage nearly all “noncutting” aspects of the patient’s medical care in the immediate perioperative period. The “captain of the ship” doctrine, which held the surgeon responsible for every aspect of the patient’s perioperative care (including anesthesia), is no longer a valid notion when an anesthesiologist is present. The surgeon and anesthesiologist must function together as an effective team, and both are ultimately answerable to the patient rather than to each other."

^^. There's a reason why the attending I work with calls the drape attached to the poles: "the blood-brain barrier." ;)

^^. There's a reason why the attending I work with calls the drape attached to the poles: "the blood-brain barrier." ;)
My favorite trauma surgeon used to call it the same, when talking to his residents during surgery. They did not like it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: