Program-Specific Info / Q's Winston Salem MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavs2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to Winston Salem, or know people who did last year? This is that stressful time of the year where I have to decide between schools and I was just curious to around when they notified people

Members don't see this ad.

When I toured their program a few months ago they said they wouldn't send anything out until late February/March :/

Reactions: 2 users
I applied November and haven't heard anything back as well

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything either. At least we know we aren't the only ones :) Guess we just have to be patient :/

Yes I applied the beginning of January. Being patient is the hardest :(

I applied in October, but I'm assuming they do not do a final look at applications until after the deadline

Has anyone applied to Winston Salem, or know people who did last year? This is that stressful time of the year where I have to decide between schools and I was just curious to around when they notified people

I received an email from WSSU notifying me of being on the waitlist in early February last year. I was pulled off the waitlist about 2 months later but I had already decided on a different school at that point. They told me they received somewhere around 600 applications last year. Good luck!

Hi there!
I just read a recent post from a potential student who attended WSSU's OT information session and she said they stated that acceptance letters will not go out until March :(

Can anyone give me more information about the WSSU program? I'm from Pennsylvania, so visiting the campus was definitely out of the question. What's the local area like? Expensive to live? Did you get a positive feel from campus? I find it so hard to not know these kinds of things, especially for a program like this one that isn't well known or well discussed on these forums. Thanks in advance :)

I applied, and was notified of my acceptance this morning! I would also really appreciate any information about the program. I live across the country, so a visit was out of the question for me as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied, and was notified of my acceptance this morning! I would also really appreciate any information about the program. I live across the country, so a visit was out of the question for me as well.

Did you by any chance also get an email notifying you that they received your GRE scores this morning? I got an email just about that. :/

Did you by any chance also get an email notifying you that they received your GRE scores this morning? I got an email just about that. :/
No, sorry :/ I received just the one email. Hopefully you'll hear back soon as well!

I also got an email this morning notifying me that they've received my GRE scores. Weird because i sent my GRE scores way in November. They received them long ago so i'm not sure why i'm just now receiving an email

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I received that email on January 21st but have not heard a decision yet :/

I also got an email this morning notifying me that they've received my GRE scores. Weird because i sent my GRE scores way in November. They received them long ago so i'm not sure why i'm just now receiving an email

I thought it was weird also since I sent mine in October!

Do any of you have a rough estimate of how much tuition would be for the MSOT program as WSSU? I can't get their website to load to find out. I've looked before, but I wasn't sure that what I found was accurate (around 50k?)

Around when did you submit your application?

Do any of you have a rough estimate of how much tuition would be for the MSOT program as WSSU? I can't get their website to load to find out. I've looked before, but I wasn't sure that what I found was accurate (around 50k?)

Ugh I know! I just got accepted too and I've also been trying to look up tuition but the site is still down. I recall that their tuition was cheaper than a lot of out of state tuition at other schools. I also think it was somewhere in like the 55,000-65,000 range but I really want to look it up again to confirm.

Reactions: 1 user

I have written down that it is $17,000 per year. I could be wrong though haha

That would be very nice! haha, I hope you're right. Perhaps this is in-state tuition?

It looks like the in-state tuition for WSSU is much lower than $17,000, so this is probably the out-of-state cost. NC schools are known for taking a high number of in-state applicants and for setting reasonable tuition fees, even for their out-of-state students. UNC would be one of the only exceptions.

It looks like the in-state tuition for WSSU is much lower than $17,000, so this is probably the out-of-state cost. NC schools are known for taking a high number of in-state applicants and for setting reasonable tuition fees, even for their out-of-state students. UNC would be one of the only exceptions.
Thank you, mcOT16 :) I actually was able to look into it further once their website was working again, and found that tuition for out of state is about 49,000 total! I think this is a very reasonable price for an OT program.

I've accepted WSSU. Any other future WSSU MSOT students out there?! :)

Thank you, mcOT16 :) I actually was able to look into it further once their website was working again, and found that tuition for out of state is about 49,000 total! I think this is a very reasonable price for an OT program.

Hey. I got a higher number, closer to 60,00. I multiplied the tuition per semester by 7. I might be wrong. How did you get to 49,000? I wish they just posted the number somewhere.

Oh did you just calculate tuition? I did tuition plus fees

Did anyone else get an acceptance notice?

I also got the email saying the my GRE scores had been received. Weird.

Oh did you just calculate tuition? I did tuition plus fees
So I calculated using the out of state total tuition and fees per year, rather than per semester. For 2.5 years it's $43,775. The additional $750 per semester cost of the MSOT program times 7 semesters adds $5,250, bringing it to $49,025.

I guess that it's risky to multiply the per year tuition by 2.5, but I'm hoping it's right to do so because this is a cheaper number lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So I calculated using the out of state total tuition and fees per year, rather than per semester. For 2.5 years it's $43,775. The additional $750 per semester cost of the MSOT program times 7 semesters adds $5,250, bringing it to $49,025.

I guess that it's risky to multiply the per year tuition by 2.5, but I'm hoping it's right to do so because this is a cheaper number lol.

I was thinking that a year is fall and spring and then 2 semesters of summer would be extra. I saw a number for summer that was little less than the numbers for a spring or fall semester but it's on a different page and I don't know I it is updated. There's an extra 750 per semester for the OT program? I didn't know that. What page is that on?

I was thinking that a year is fall and spring and then 2 semesters of summer would be extra. I saw a number for summer that was little less than the numbers for a spring or fall semester but it's on a different page and I don't know I it is updated. There's an extra 750 per semester for the OT program? I didn't know that. What page is that on?
That makes sense! I supposed I could just shoot them an email to find out once and for all.

I used this page, the additional cost is in the fine print under the graduate box: https://www.wssu.edu/administration...ocuments/spring-2016-tuition-fees-ug-grad.pdf

Has anyone heard anything else? Rejection or acceptance wise. I also received the e-mail on 2/1 saying that my GRE scores were received. Ugh, I just want to know one way or another!

I
Did anyone else get an acceptance notice?

I also got the email saying the my GRE scores had been received. Weird.
I have not heard if I've been accepted or rejected yet. I also got the e-mail.

I haven't heard anything although I applied on January 15th.

I wonder what the deal is. This is kind of a big decision if I happen to get in.

I wonder what the deal is. This is kind of a big decision if I happen to get in.

I e-mailed someone in admissions today (I'm past the point of being patient lol) and she said that they will be sending notifications of rejection/acceptance by mid March or sooner. I just think it's odd that some people have already been accepted and others haven't heard anything. Most schools send out notifications all at once.

Reactions: 4 users
I e-mailed someone in admissions today (I'm past the point of being patient lol) and she said that they will be sending notifications of rejection/acceptance by mid March or sooner. I just think it's odd that some people have already been accepted and others haven't heard anything. Most schools send out notifications all at once.

I got the email on 2/1 about the GRE scores and am anxiously awaiting hearing back from them! I agree it's really strange that some people have already gotten acceptance letters yet they say they won't send anything until March...Maybe those are the people who applied before October or something? I sent my application in on 12/31/15. This is a big decision for me and I'm waiting on it...

I got the email on 2/1 about the GRE scores and am anxiously awaiting hearing back from them! I agree it's really strange that some people have already gotten acceptance letters yet they say they won't send anything until March...Maybe those are the people who applied before October or something? I sent my application in on 12/31/15. This is a big decision for me and I'm waiting on it...

I sent in my application on 1/15/16, so I'm a little bit further behind. So maybe that's why I haven't received a decision.

I sent in my application on 1/15/16, so I'm a little bit further behind. So maybe that's why I haven't received a decision.

I submitted my app in November and still haven't heard anything. I honestly think they just sent out a few acceptances to people with really high stats and GRE writing scores and are still deciding on the rest

I just got a waitlist email (luckily, they weren't a top choice for me) so they're definitely starting to differentiate between who they want accepted vs waitlisted!

Reactions: 1 users
I got a wait listed email as well. I have a deposit in at another school so it isn't a big deal, but it's a blow to the ego.

I was rejected :( They told me I met the requirements but could not be accepted... :(

I was rejected as well but it doesn't matter since I put down my deposit and will be attending another school.

I was wait listed but am attending another program anyways

I got my acceptance email on Monday!
Overall GPA: 3.75
PreReq GPA: 3.65
GRE total: 313 AW: 4
OT Observation hours: 100

Reactions: 1 user
Still haven't received anything. Just called and was told that they will continue sending out offers until late March :(