"Winter Break" for med school interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolahoj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm applying this year, have had a bunch of interview invites. When I applied, I didn't think I'd be out of the country during the application period, but I have an opportunity to go abroad in Dec/early Jan to study medical Spanish and volunteer in a clinic. Basically I could go for as long as I want (I'm not currently in school, and my job is willing to be flexible). I'd love to take a month, like Dec 14-Jan 14.
However, I want to be sure I wont get interviews while I'm gone. I applied to a ton of schools and I guess I'd have to notify all of them that I will be out of the country? Maybe this is the right way to go since I will also get to let them know all the cool stuff I'm doing, but I also don't want to screw anything up.
Anybody know when interviews officially stop/restart around the Christmas holidays?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Every school is going to be different but I could see schools doing interviews through 12/19/2014 and resuming not earlier than 1/5/2015.

Of course, you could also notify schools that you will be abroad for the period from _ to _ and otherwise available and eagerly looking forward to interviewing at __ medical school.

Thanks! Do you think I should/can combine it with an update letter? Will I be sure they read my update letter enough to know I'm out of the country, or should I send them seperately to be totally sure? Or, should I call?

Email is best, I think as it provides a written record. Telling them that you are going to __ for service & to improve your language skills is enough of an update and puts the focus on the important message which is that if they want to interview you it should be outside of the dates during which you will be away.