Wisconsin c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squirrelsrule

Ohio State CVM c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to Wisconsin as an out of stater. I like the thought of going to Wisconsin more and more each day. Ohio is still my number 1, but I would go to Wisconsin in a second if I was accepted there and not Ohio, wouldn't even give it a second thought! So, who else is applying to Wisconsin?

Members don't see this ad.

I am! :) My mom went went there undergrad and it is definitely on the top of my list! Madison is a great place!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you two from Wisconsin? Or applying out of state too? I love that Wisconsin has a small class size and the price is really good even for out of staters!

Just wanted to say Yay! for people interested in Wisconsin.

:banana::banana::banana::clap::clap::clap::banana::banana::banana:

I am applying as well :) (though I do have 9 schools on my list)

How do you like Wisconsin? I am guessing you like it there since you posted here :). How is the cost of living in Madison? How do you like the professors?

I remember meeting you at the Exotics Symposium at Mizzou :D Glad to see you're still enjoying veterinary school.

I'm applying to Wisconsin OOS. I spoke to a doctor who regretted not going to Wisconsin because he felt that the school had a much better comradery than the school he attended. I also have family in Wisconsin and have heard many great things about the school.

How is the cost of living in Madison?

I'm not going to UW for vet school, but I'm a Madison native and did my undergrad here, so I'll pipe up...

Cost of living is higher than most comparable midwestern areas, but a lot lower than on the coasts. Really depends on what you're used to. Living alone and within walking distance of campus will be really pricey, but if you're willing to live farther out or with roommates, it can be very affordable.

For instance, I currently live on Lathrop St. in a 4 bedroom apartment with 3 other girls. We each pay $450/mo. For the size, condition, and convenience of our apartment, that is pretty good. Everyone has different standards of living, though. ;) My aunt called this place a crack house, while my dad thought it was pretty nice.

ETA: My BF is a grad student and lives ~3mi away near Badger Rd. This is considered the "ghetto" here. That's a subjective thing, too. He lives alone in pretty decent apartment for $500 and bikes or buses to school.

Also, there are SO MANY GOOD RESTAURANTS here. Lots of places to waste tons of money. Madison really is a great town.

I'm applying to Wisconsin as OOS. I too am intrigued by their low OOS tuition. But the main reason is to be a part of the Jump Around at the football games :)

How do you like Wisconsin? I am guessing you like it there since you posted here :). How is the cost of living in Madison? How do you like the professors?

I love it. Cost of living is about what Breenie said. I live with my husband close to campus and I find our living expenses quite reasonable.

There are some good professors and some not as good (like anywhere), but there are also quite a few amazing ones.

If you look up my previous posts, you should be able to see some of my other praise for Wisconsin (and other questions I have answered).

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a dumb question, is the weather to terrible in Wisconsin?

So. Illinois :D

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Well, really only in winter. It snows significantly more, and it gets significantly colder. January/February in Madison can be really depressing and awful, but from what I've seen of friends who came from other places, they acclimated after the first winter.

I've carried a shovel in the back of my car since I was 16, because you will get stuck in a snow bank, or a friend will get stuck in a snow bank at least once a year. I drive a lot out in the country, so I was at a little more risk, but Madison has a tradition of not salting the roads enough and not plowing until the street has frozen into a block of ice.

Summers will probably be easier for you, but we still get hot and humid. Fall and spring are spectacular.

Since you're midwestern to start with, I don't think you'll have a horrible time adjusting. Just have a nice and warm winter coat and be ready for the seasons to be very very well defined.

I'm writing this from my new home of Columbia, MO, and I am dying in this heat/humidity. I am like a polar bear in Florida right now. Guhhh.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Well, really only in winter. It snows significantly more, and it gets significantly colder. January/February in Madison can be really depressing and awful, but from what I've seen of friends who came from other places, they acclimated after the first winter.

I've carried a shovel in the back of my car since I was 16, because you will get stuck in a snow bank, or a friend will get stuck in a snow bank at least once a year. I drive a lot out in the country, so I was at a little more risk, but Madison has a tradition of not salting the roads enough and not plowing until the street has frozen into a block of ice.

Summers will probably be easier for you, but we still get hot and humid. Fall and spring are spectacular.

Since you're midwestern to start with, I don't think you'll have a horrible time adjusting. Just have a nice and warm winter coat and be ready for the seasons to be very very well defined.

I'm writing this from my new home of Columbia, MO, and I am dying in this heat/humidity. I am like a polar bear in Florida right now. Guhhh.

Haha nice. Thanks for the input. The summer this year in the midwest has been something out of the ordinary. Its not normally this blistering hot.

Hi future c/o 2016! So happy I submitted my application today and my references have been submitted! Now I just have to wait for the supplemental. Has anyone else finished their application yet?

yay for wisconsin :) i like a) the low cost OOS tuition (relatively) and b) the fact that they have a emergency/critical care department with board certified criticalists - something that VMRCVM is sorely lacking :(

and i also like the sound of what the weather is like, as well as the cheese :)

yay for wisconsin :) i like a) the low cost OOS tuition (relatively) and b) the fact that they have a emergency/critical care department with board certified criticalists - something that VMRCVM is sorely lacking :(

and i also like the sound of what the weather is like, as well as the cheese :)

Best cheese in the country! That's why I chose to go WI for graduate school... hehehe.

Anyone know if the OOS accepted GPA is typically always very high?? I noticed that last year's applicants had an average of 3.8-3.9 depending on the category which has kinda prevented me from applying. I range between a 3.5 and 3.7 depending on what type of GPA you're looking at. I'd also have to call and see if they'd be willing to approve a literature course as a writing course, so I'm not sure I'd be able to pull off applying this late but was wondering if anyone knew anymore information on this area to help me make a split second decision. Haha.

But that cheap OOS tuition is definitely a huge selling point. It's like 10k cheaper than my IS...

if you email Carmen Reamer, she will tell you the requirements for a literature course to be counted as a second writing course (this is what I did with my literature course). then you need to have a professor email carmen reamer verifying that you were in the class and that the class meets the requirements to be considered a "writing intensive" class

carmen is VERY helpful and is usually prompt about replying -- she is very nice :)

if you email Carmen Reamer, she will tell you the requirements for a literature course to be counted as a second writing course (this is what I did with my literature course). then you need to have a professor email carmen reamer verifying that you were in the class and that the class meets the requirements to be considered a "writing intensive" class

carmen is VERY helpful and is usually prompt about replying -- she is very nice :)

Hmm. Might do that tonight then. Although, I wonder if she will accept a fowarded email from the professor. I already had him email Kathy Seay at Missouri for the same thing and he took a while to do, so I don't think he'd get to it in time to meet the deadline.

Rumor has it they've been kinda juggling their admission criteria/strategy the past couple of years.

Again, only rumor, but I would apply anyway with a 3.5-3.7. I genuinely believe UW makes an effort to select a diverse and interesting class, and they let people in that don't have 3.9's, even out of staters.

Rumor has it they've been kinda juggling their admission criteria/strategy the past couple of years.

Again, only rumor, but I would apply anyway with a 3.5-3.7. I genuinely believe UW makes an effort to select a diverse and interesting class, and they let people in that don't have 3.9's, even out of staters.

I've decided to just go for it. My only concern now is whether my transcripts will get there by the 1st and whether or not my Lit class will be accepted as a writing course. Guess I'll just have to see what happens now.

Yes!

It's one of my top choices... but I'm trying to forget that b/c of the dismal OOS acceptance rates. I am really missing not being able to cross-country ski this winter, and Wisconsin has AWESOME trails. Plus the vet school is basically awesome. And it costs significantly less than my IS school. I could buy a house AND go to vet school in Wisconsin for the cost of going to Penn. I will probably end up in Wisconsin anyway after I graduate even if I don't go to school there. It's got snowy woods, cheap real-estate (outside of the city), and midwestern people are awesome!

Yes!

It's one of my top choices... but I'm trying to forget that b/c of the dismal OOS acceptance rates. I am really missing not being able to cross-country ski this winter, and Wisconsin has AWESOME trails. Plus the vet school is basically awesome. And it costs significantly less than my IS school. I could buy a house AND go to vet school in Wisconsin for the cost of going to Penn. I will probably end up in Wisconsin anyway after I graduate even if I don't go to school there. It's got snowy woods, cheap real-estate (outside of the city), and midwestern people are awesome!

Excuse me, but you didn't mention cheese OR ice cream in your praise of Wisconsin!

edit: OR beer!!!!

does anyone know what the supplemental application that we get in november is like? are there lots of additional essays that i will have to write?

thanks! :) go wisconsin!

There is a place to enter any additional vet/animal/work experiences since submitting VMCAS. I don't feel like there is any pressure to put anything in these boxes unless you did stuff, if you didn't, it's not a bit deal to leave them blank. You will need to write a 'diversity' essay; what will you bring to the diversity of the class--basically, what is interesting about you that is not related to vet med. There is some other stuff to fill out, but there is only that one essay if I remember correctly.

I think there was also a lot about residency info so non-residents like me got to skip a bunch.

I applied to WI. Its one of the three, WI is my In-State

University of WI (IS)
University of MN (OOS)
University of Missouri (OOS)

I've read about the GPA average on previous posts; yeah that worried me as well, even as an In-State. I'm around the 3.5 to 3.7 range too. I'm a non-traditional student, I'll be 38 by 2012 if I get in. So being judged bymy grades back as an undergrad really ticked me off a bit. Especially since UW doesn't do Interviews!?! I know I would shine there, luckily MN and Mizzou both do.

Good luck all

Eek are they really that picky about GPA? Suddenly my 3.67 seems a bit underwhelming... but I make up for it in other areas!

Is it terrible that I'm relieved they haven't sent the supplemental yet? I need a break after this VMCAS nightmare...took at least 3 years off of my life, I swear...

Is it terrible that I'm relieved they haven't sent the supplemental yet? I need a break after this VMCAS nightmare...took at least 3 years off of my life, I swear...

I think they purposely give you a break before the supplemental. It is common knowledge how painful filling out a VMCAS can be.

Eek are they really that picky about GPA? Suddenly my 3.67 seems a bit underwhelming... but I make up for it in other areas!

No. It will be fine. Relax, all. :) I know many who got in with under a 3.5.

There is a place to enter any additional vet/animal/work experiences since submitting VMCAS. I don't feel like there is any pressure to put anything in these boxes unless you did stuff, if you didn't, it's not a bit deal to leave them blank. You will need to write a 'diversity' essay; what will you bring to the diversity of the class--basically, what is interesting about you that is not related to vet med. There is some other stuff to fill out, but there is only that one essay if I remember correctly.

Does anyone know what the exact prompt is? (that is, if they use the same one every year). And how many words/characters? I'm kind of anxious to get this started and done with.

Hi, everyone, by the way! I've been lurking for quite a while... and just now introducing myself. Thanks for all the great advice so far!! I'm applying to UF, Wisconsin and Ohio! woot.

Does anyone know what the exact prompt is? (that is, if they use the same one every year). And how many words/characters? I'm kind of anxious to get this started and done with.

Hi, everyone, by the way! I've been lurking for quite a while... and just now introducing myself. Thanks for all the great advice so far!! I'm applying to UF, Wisconsin and Ohio! woot.

I'm pretty sure it just says "enter anything you've done since submitting". You have way more space than necessary, and you're not supposed to repeat descriptions of duties you listed in VMCAS. So I just said, "Continued working in lab for 100 hours, continued shadowing Dr. X for 50 hours" etc.

is the diversity essay a long one, or more like CSU's uniqueness essay + multicultural experience essay? the more + more i look into wisconsin's program the more i like it (the cheap OOS tuition doesn't hurt either :rolleyes:)

is the diversity essay a long one, or more like CSU's uniqueness essay + multicultural experience essay? the more + more i look into wisconsin's program the more i like it (the cheap OOS tuition doesn't hurt either :rolleyes:)

CSU was in my top 3 choices until I read all of their "optional" essay prompts...I was so turned off by them. Ended up not even applying, they left a horrible taste in my mouth and made me not even want to apply there. The exorbitant OOS tuition certainly contributed to the decision as well, but I probably still would have applied if those essays hadn't made me lose so much respect for them. I REALLY hope Wisconsin doesn't give off that same vibe :/

CSU was in my top 3 choices until I read all of their "optional" essay prompts...I was so turned off by them. Ended up not even applying, they left a horrible taste in my mouth and made me not even want to apply there. The exorbitant OOS tuition certainly contributed to the decision as well, but I probably still would have applied if those essays hadn't made me lose so much respect for them. I REALLY hope Wisconsin doesn't give off that same vibe :/

I'm not familiar with CSU.. what were those like?

Wisconsin's is just like, "how will you bring diversity to the class". I answered that with all the reasons I am awesome and unique and totally rad. I wasn't terribly put off by the simple prompt.

I'm not familiar with CSU.. what were those like?

Wisconsin's is just like, "how will you bring diversity to the class". I answered that with all the reasons I am awesome and unique and totally rad. I wasn't terribly put off by the simple prompt.

The only thing bad about the CSU essays was really the character limit. You were only allowed 600. The prompts were " Based on your past experience(s), what unique qualities will you bring to the veterinary program and profession?" and "Please describe any multicultural experiences you have had and how those experiences may help you contribute to the veterinary profession. This question is optional." There was also a box where you could list any additional languages you might speak.

I am just dying to start the WI "diversity" question and get the supplemental done. It was nice to have a few days to relax, but now I'm ready to get it over with!!! Does anyone know how specific the "diversity" question is and the length we are allowed to write? Can we talk about non-science experiences, like music and art, or is it best to talk about unique science experiences?

i'm pretty sure the point of this question will be to establish your diversity outside of the science/health realm...i think they want to get to know you outside of a health/science oriented mindset and to show that you are a real person outside of doing stuff for a vet med career.

I am just dying to start the WI "diversity" question and get the supplemental done. It was nice to have a few days to relax, but now I'm ready to get it over with!!! Does anyone know how specific the "diversity" question is and the length we are allowed to write? Can we talk about non-science experiences, like music and art, or is it best to talk about unique science experiences?

Yes.

This is from the cycle before last, but I filled it out a few years in a row and it didn't change, so if you want to get on it, this prompt is basically what is going to be on the supp:

"Contributions to Breadth/Diversity The University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine values the educational benefits derived from a diverse student population. As such, our school is committed to creating a community of learners that is broad and diverse in its composition. In support of that effort, we seek to understand what elements in your background, experiences, personal achievements and career interests would bring breadth to a class of veterinary medical students and the veterinary medical profession. For example, you may consider addressing topics including (but not limited to) long-term social/financial disadvantage, first generation college student status, unique accomplishments/talents, diverse cultural or personal attributes, special training or education, unique work/volunteer experiences, geographical diversity, and/or experience in agriculture, research, industry, or business."

My essay was 2,800-some characters, so I think the limit is 3,000, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Last edited:
It says on their website that they will e-mail you if your application is NOT complete, but when do they e-mail you to let you know if your application IS complete?

Yes it's been a week and I am starting to freak out - I put all my eggs in one basket with UW!

There is really no reason to freak out. The only solid deadline is the VMCAS and the eLORs. I know someone who applied this cycle and forgot to fill out the RADF, but did it a few days after the deadline and they did not care at all. Last year I didn't get any kind of confirmation until Oct. 20th. If you are missing something, they will let you know. They're not just going to scrap your application without telling you. RELAX:)

I could not be more in love with the idea of going to UW for vet school. I am a huge Wisconsinite at heart, but my family moved to Georgia when I was seventeen. Because I was considered a Georgia resident when I applied to college and that gave me a full ride scholarship, I go to school at the University of Georgia, but I've wanted to go to UW since the beginning of high school.

Now I'm completely attached to going to UW for vet school. Madison is pretty much my favorite place in the world. I got a pair of cross country ski's for my birthday right before moving away and they've been sitting in my basement unused for 5 years (you must understand what a tragedy this is). I haven't been to Door County since I moved. I have so many reasons that I want to go back home.

But. . . I feel like an in-state applicant who has to apply as an out-of-stater. In the info form to get the supplementary application it asked if I had ever been a resident of Wisconsin, and now I really wonder if it will count for or against me. Maybe they won't think that I add diversity the way an out-of-state applicant should. Maybe they'll think it's a plus that I truly want to live in Wisconsin and go to school there.

I can't believe I still have months to wait and haven't even really finished applying yet, but I hope that at the end of the wait I'm there with you guys.