Wisconsin c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accidentally posted twice =(

Members don't see this ad.

But. . . I feel like an in-state applicant who has to apply as an out-of-stater. In the info form to get the supplementary application it asked if I had ever been a resident of Wisconsin, and now I really wonder if it will count for or against me. Maybe they won't think that I add diversity the way an out-of-state applicant should. Maybe they'll think it's a plus that I truly want to live in Wisconsin and go to school there.

Try not to overthink it. The fact that you used to live in Wisconsin isn't going to count against you on your app. I know it is hard, but the best thing to do now is relax a bit. Good luck with everything!

Got an email from the admin office letting me know that my application is complete. Yay!! :) The email also said that they will be contacting applicants in November with the supplemental information. Putting my $56 aside now. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email from the admin office letting me know that my application is complete. Yay!! :) The email also said that they will be contacting applicants in November with the supplemental information. Putting my $56 aside now. ;)

Same! That actually made me really happy. I was worried my transcripts weren't going to get there in time since I applied last minute. Now I'm just having issues with my CSU application...stupid ETS.

i got the email today too! :) does anyone know if wisconsin ONLY looks at 3 eLORS or if they will consider all eLORS that were sent? i had the maximum # submitted (6) and would preferably like them to consider all of them obviously...

Also got an email that my application is complete. I can't wait to submit the supplemental and officially be done with apps.

i got the email today too! :) does anyone know if wisconsin ONLY looks at 3 eLORS or if they will consider all eLORS that were sent? i had the maximum # submitted (6) and would preferably like them to consider all of them obviously...

I called Lynn a while ago with the same question. I had submitted 5 letters to VMCAS. She said that it really depends on the committee members that review your application packet. (Ie, some will look at all of them, and others will only look at 3). She recommended I send her a list of my preferred 3 (including one vet) just in case I get a committee member who will only look at 3.

Hope that helps!

I called Lynn a while ago with the same question. I had submitted 5 letters to VMCAS. She said that it really depends on the committee members that review your application packet. (Ie, some will look at all of them, and others will only look at 3). She recommended I send her a list of my preferred 3 (including one vet) just in case I get a committee member who will only look at 3.

Hope that helps!
thanks NStarz, I just emailed Lynn to confirm what you told me :)

good luck :luck:

I got the email that my application was complete and the supplemental will be coming out in November as well :).

I wish they would send up the supplemental already! I just want this whole process to be over and done with, and Wisconsin's supplemental is my last bit until (hopefully) the interviews...

...that would be RIDICULOUSLY messed up if they were making the supplemental due around Christmastime. So messed up. Getting super upset just thinking about it!

I wish they would send up the supplemental already! I just want this whole process to be over and done with, and Wisconsin's supplemental is my last bit until (hopefully) the interviews...

...that would be RIDICULOUSLY messed up if they were making the supplemental due around Christmastime. So messed up. Getting super upset just thinking about it!

I saw that you posted and I got all excited that they sent out the supplemental... until I read your post. I check last year's forum and it looked like we won't get the supplemental until around the 14th of November. But I agree with you, I just want to get it done with already.

They just sent me an email guys, it's out, it's available!! Due 1pm central time on Dec 5th!

yup just got the email. and it looks fairly simple too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering about the supplemental. I got the email too :). At least we have nearly a month to complete it :thumbup:. I thought I read on the website that you only had a week, glad to be wrong on that.

Except for 4 new essays, all nearly as long as the VMCAS personal statement. Sighhhh.

well one of them is only "optional" meaning if you're a boring applicant like me,you don't have anything to put there :rolleyes:

and one of them is about any other preparatory experience...anyone know what this is about? should i be concerned that i don't really have anything to put here? i've just been working full time and going to class so i really only have extra hours to put under the 1st essay, because i've been continuing to get hours at the same place that i've been working at for the last couple years...the only really ESSAY that i will write a significant amount in is the breadth/diversity one...urgh now i'm a little nervous. i'm so boring i've just been continuing as a SA emergency tech :scared:

well one of them is only "optional" meaning if you're a boring applicant like me,you don't have anything to put there :rolleyes:

and one of them is about any other preparatory experience...anyone know what this is about? should i be concerned that i don't really have anything to put here? i've just been working full time and going to class so i really only have extra hours to put under the 1st essay, because i've been continuing to get hours at the same place that i've been working at for the last couple years...the only really ESSAY that i will write a significant amount in is the breadth/diversity one...urgh now i'm a little nervous. i'm so boring i've just been continuing as a SA emergency tech :scared:

Same here! I have learned a lot since I submitted VMCAS though, and have new responsibilities I can write about. Other than that, not too much to say :(

We should all write about out VMCAS-induced mental breakdowns and how much more "in touch" we've become with our own inner supplies of strength and confidence. :laugh:

I'm actually pretty excited for the "optional" section...it's a bit like the VMCAS "Explanation Statement," as far as I can tell. Maybe a little more "touchy feely" since they use terms like "difficulties" and "coped."

Is anyone else getting SO SICK of writing about themselves though!? I really am not comfortable writing pages upon pages trying to sell myself and prove that I'm worthy of being thrown a pity interview.

i don't have much to explain though! my life has been so boring! other than some financial difficulties that my family has been going through right now, i don't really have much to explain about my life...don't kno whether to consider that a good thing or a bad thing...

and really, i'm a pretty traditional applicant...from a good part of the DC area, went and graduated from college in 4 years after high school, taking a year break right now to get my head together, but i haven't had anything on my application to "explain" really. i don't want to have to feel like i need to put something in the "optional" section but i can't helping feeling like i need to put SOMETHING there :(

and really, i'm a pretty traditional applicant...from a good part of the DC area, went and graduated from college in 4 years after high school, taking a year break right now to get my head together, but i haven't had anything on my application to "explain" really. i don't want to have to feel like i need to put something in the "optional" section but i can't helping feeling like i need to put SOMETHING there :(

I totally relate though, sunnex! It's like having a stable childhood/background is a weakness....all those questions about diversity/financial disadvatage/socioeconomic upbringing/first college grad in your family, etc....I wish I had a more interesting story, too. :confused:

I totally relate though, sunnex! It's like having a stable childhood/background is a weakness....all those questions about diversity/financial disadvatage/socioeconomic upbringing/first college grad in your family, etc....I wish I had a more interesting story, too. :confused:

tell me about it! my parents are super accomplished - my mom has a M.I.S. (masters in information systems) and my dad has an MBA AND a PhD in international finance...tell me about pressure :scared:

tell me about it! my parents are super accomplished - my mom has a M.I.S. (masters in information systems) and my dad has an MBA AND a PhD in international finance...tell me about pressure :scared:

Gah, same kind of craziness here! Everyone is my family is a doctor or a lawyer...and the fact that I'm going for vet school instead of med school is already a huge "disappointment."

And I forgot to mention, I also did undergrad in 4 years (graduated B.S. in Pre-Vet 2010) and then took this last year off to relocate and work in a small animal hospital while I prepared for the 2012 application.

We're application twins, hahah

Sooo, do they really need to know where/when my parents and I voted? I feel like that is unnecessary information. As well as my vehicle registration code. This all just seems a little out there.

Gah, same kind of craziness here! Everyone is my family is a doctor or a lawyer...and the fact that I'm going for vet school instead of med school is already a huge "disappointment."

And I forgot to mention, I also did undergrad in 4 years (graduated B.S. in Pre-Vet 2010) and then took this last year off to relocate and work in a small animal hospital while I prepared for the 2012 application.

We're application twins, hahah

haha seriously ;)

if you don't mind me asking, what are you planning on writing for the optional section, if you are planning on writing anything? i'm thinking of just leaving it blank, i feel like anything i put there is going to end up sounding like a lame excuse...

I'm just going to elaborate more on why I took certain courses, made certain decisions...I switched my major three times, ha. Looong story there.

I'm just going to elaborate more on why I took certain courses, made certain decisions...I switched my major three times, ha. Looong story there.

ah i see...i'm even boring in that area...was a bio major all 4 years. why am i such a boring applicant!!! :sleep:

Yo, guys, you don't have to use the whole character limit. I didn't, and they accepted my punk ass.

Yo, guys, you don't have to use the whole character limit. I didn't, and they accepted my punk ass.

Nice! I don't think I'd be able to, even if I tried...so burnt out on all these essays. Very good to know that they won't automatically look down on me if I don't hit 3,999 characters.

Nice! I don't think I'd be able to, even if I tried...so burnt out on all these essays. Very good to know that they won't automatically look down on me if I don't hit 3,999 characters.

i'm nervous that i'm really only going to be answering 2 out of the 4 supplemental essay questions :scared: i'm not putting anything in the preparatory experience or optional essay sections...and even in the additional animal/veterinary experience section i'm only putting the extra hours that i'm gained since the application was submitted, but i haven't really done anything new...don't really have time right now to explore other options, due to financial reasons...is this something worthy of putting in the optional section, to explain?

i'm nervous that i'm really only going to be answering 2 out of the 4 supplemental essay questions :scared: i'm not putting anything in the preparatory experience or optional essay sections...and even in the additional animal/veterinary experience section i'm only putting the extra hours that i'm gained since the application was submitted, but i haven't really done anything new...don't really have time right now to explore other options, due to financial reasons...is this something worthy of putting in the optional section, to explain?

Calm the fudge down, everyone! Don't put anything in the optional section unless you have to explain away the siamese twin growing out of your head that might need special accommodation during lecture periods.

I just wrote for the updated experience section that I continued working in my lab, and shadowing two vets. Listed the numbers and put "duties as described in VMCAS".

Can I get your guys opinion on something? So I submitted 4 LORs and am trying to decide which three letters I should tell them to read if they're unwilling to read all four. I have two veterinarians (one I lived with for a week, and one that I've been working for since July), a professor (who was also my advisor) and a faculty member who was my boss for my lab assistant position of 3 years during undergrad. I don't think any of them wrote me poor letters of recommendation, but I can't decide if it would look better to use two vets or just one, since I feel an academic reference is important and I think my boss from undergrad probably gives the best idea of who I am as an entire person since she's known me the longest.

Any thoughts on who I should pick?

Can I get your guys opinion on something? So I submitted 4 LORs and am trying to decide which three letters I should tell them to read if they're unwilling to read all four. I have two veterinarians (one I lived with for a week, and one that I've been working for since July), a professor (who was also my advisor) and a faculty member who was my boss for my lab assistant position of 3 years during undergrad. I don't think any of them wrote me poor letters of recommendation, but I can't decide if it would look better to use two vets or just one, since I feel an academic reference is important and I think my boss from undergrad probably gives the best idea of who I am as an entire person since she's known me the longest.

orca2011, i emailed lynn maki and she permitted me to list the 4 recommendations that i wanted to be considered (i had 6 total). the 4 that i listed were from 3 vets and 1 academic professor...you might want to try contacting her and maybe confirming what she told me?

also, she mentioned to me that some committee members will read ALL recommendations submitted while some will only read some of them...she said that cutting it down to 4 would be fine, no need to worry about cutting it down to 3.

Sooo, do they really need to know where/when my parents and I voted? I feel like that is unnecessary information. As well as my vehicle registration code. This all just seems a little out there.

Right, I don't quite see how that is relevant to anything vet related!

I went through the personal section with all those questions and think I put no to every single one. I had a stable upbringing, great parents, and my dad has an associates degree. I'll be the first in my family to become a doctor, but not the first to go to college. I don't see why they need to know all that other than to go easier on those that didn't have the greatest childhood or came from a disadvantaged background. But is that really fair? I see it in some ways, but really once you are an adult, it's up to you to go for your dreams. We're all gonna have the same loans to pay off, so does that stuff matter?

Right, I don't quite see how that is relevant to anything vet related!

I went through the personal section with all those questions and think I put no to every single one. I had a stable upbringing, great parents, and my dad has an associates degree. I'll be the first in my family to become a doctor, but not the first to go to college. I don't see why they need to know all that other than to go easier on those that didn't have the greatest childhood or came from a disadvantaged background. But is that really fair? I see it in some ways, but really once you are an adult, it's up to you to go for your dreams. We're all gonna have the same loans to pay off, so does that stuff matter?

I can see how some of that stuff will matter - I've had a very supportive upbringing but the success of your parents and other members of your family really does play a role in your ability to be successful as well. I imagine its a diveristy thing - wanting to make sure they are representing people from different walks of life.

Calm the fudge down, everyone! Don't put anything in the optional section unless you have to explain away the siamese twin growing out of your head that might need special accommodation during lecture periods.

I just wrote for the updated experience section that I continued working in my lab, and shadowing two vets. Listed the numbers and put "duties as described in VMCAS".

thanks for being the voice of reason breenie :D i tend to get a -tad- neurotic sometimes :rolleyes:

I can see how some of that stuff will matter - I've had a very supportive upbringing but the success of your parents and other members of your family really does play a role in your ability to be successful as well. I imagine its a diveristy thing - wanting to make sure they are representing people from different walks of life.

:thumbup:

I'm actually pretty excited for the "optional" section...it's a bit like the VMCAS "Explanation Statement," as far as I can tell. Maybe a little more "touchy feely" since they use terms like "difficulties" and "coped."

Is anyone else getting SO SICK of writing about themselves though!? I really am not comfortable writing pages upon pages trying to sell myself and prove that I'm worthy of being thrown a pity interview.

Wisconsin doesn't do interviews, so all they have to get to know you by is the essay questions and other questions they ask.

Has anyone submitted the supplemental application yet? I am almost done, just finishing the final touches on the diversity essay. It is going to be a big relief to be officially done vet school applications.

Has anyone submitted the supplemental application yet? I am almost done, just finishing the final touches on the diversity essay. It is going to be a big relief to be officially done vet school applications.

You're ahead of me! I haven't done much outside of filling out the easy stuff...:(

I have already submitted mine :D. I submitted about a week ago. Now the long wait to hear if I get accepted or not :(.

Last edited:
You're ahead of me! I haven't done much outside of filling out the easy stuff...:(

That's pretty much all I've done as well. I started my additional animal experience essay but that's about it. I'm trying to see if any of my essays for other schools are decent enough for the diversity part. I just really don't feel like writing an essay 4000 characters in length.

And does anyone know if you actually need to provide all that voter's registration information? I meant to call today to ask but forgot and no one in my family really knows that information.

And does anyone know if you actually need to provide all that voter's registration information? I meant to call today to ask but forgot and no one in my family really knows that information.

For my parents (which I feel really silly about anyway given my age), I'm going with the 'if unknown, leave blank' directions. I've already provided the proof that neither of my parents live in WI via mailing addresses, so I would say that they don't need the voter information. I know my own though, so I gave it to them.

Hopefully submitting tomorrow. Waiting on one last piece of information so I can include it in the 'Other Preparatory Experience' section; and I need to get my 'Optional Information' down to 4000 characters. I'm being long winded (as usual)... :whistle:

I started my additional animal experience essay

Do you think they would care if it was not in essay form for the additional experiences stuff? My mom thought it would be better to use the same format I used in VMCAS (bullets for the specifics of each experience).

Do you think they would care if it was not in essay form for the additional experiences stuff? My mom thought it would be better to use the same format I used in VMCAS (bullets for the specifics of each experience).

I don't know. I'm very against bullets unless I'm specifically told I'm allowed to use them. I lost some serious points on exams freshman year for using them, so I'm always afraid to use them in case it counts against me. The only time I used bullets/fragments was for the Illinois supplemental because that's how they did it in their examples. Since they give you so many characters, I kind of get the feeling that they would prefer it to be in paragraph form.

I broke it down into two sections: one with hours attained and another with new tasks/experiences/etc. I just separated it my line, no bullets, I don't know though, bullets are fun. I apologize, my fever is getting the best of me.

I am writing my additional experience essay technically in essay format, but just listing one thing after another. I don't think they are expected fancy sentences, they just want a list of what you have done since the application was submitted.

It does say list any additional experience - so I think bullets is probably fine - I did email them with a question about something unrelated and they answered me very quickly and were very helpful - you could always email and ask them.