Wisconsin c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ugh all you guys are so ahead of me :(
and now i'm worried because i haven't really gained any "additional" experience -- with a full time job in the ICU/ER and being called in on call and taking 2 classes not much time for additional experience :(

Members don't see this ad.

and now i'm worried because i haven't really gained any "additional" experience -- with a full time job in the ICU/ER and being called in on call and taking 2 classes not much time for additional experience :(

You don't necessarily have to have novel experience from the past month since you submitted VMCAS. I put down that I had continued doing x, y and z and that I had accumulated however many more hours at those places...and I'm now a second year at UW, so it apparently was good enough!

You and I always seem to be on the same page. Don't worry, I don't have anything either since I usually work from 12-8 PM at the vet's office, so it doesn't really make it convenient to get any type of experience else where. Unless, you can count going to Cross Fit workout classes experience. Although, I could potentially get a 2nd part time job at a grocery store through someone else that goes to these classes. That would be an experience and at least would bring in a little extra money.

Members don't see this ad :)
You and I always seem to be on the same page. Don't worry, I don't have anything either since I usually work from 12-8 PM at the vet's office, so it doesn't really make it convenient to get any type of experience else where. Unless, you can count going to Cross Fit workout classes experience. Although, I could potentially get a 2nd part time job at a grocery store through someone else that goes to these classes. That would be an experience and at least would bring in a little extra money.

:laugh:i know orca we are always on the same page!

i haven't started the essay yet either. past 2 weekends at work have been hell and we've been shortstaffed so of course i'm exhausted. barely was able to make it to lab today...i'm thinking of just pulling bits and pieces from all the essays i've worked on so far...:confused:

:laugh:i know orca we are always on the same page!

i haven't started the essay yet either. past 2 weekends at work have been hell and we've been shortstaffed so of course i'm exhausted. barely was able to make it to lab today...i'm thinking of just pulling bits and pieces from all the essays i've worked on so far...:confused:

I've just been stupid and kept putting it off. My excuse was that I needed to study for my Animal Nutrition exam. Now I'm stuck and need to get it done by tomorrow night because I want to go to PSU this weekend to see the bf...Looks like it's going to be a late night tonight. That's probably what I'll do as well. My mom said I should call her aunt to find out the last name of a particular person because they (as well as the rest of their family) were apparently kicked out of Ireland for some reason.

Happy to say that I am done the supplemental application! Now if only I could fast forward to February.

So, I was unable to submit last week because I was waiting for confirmation on a research poster presentation. Got that late Friday and have spent this afternoon tweaking the essays that I still had to write to make them 'pretty'. I get ready to submit and go to fetch the supplemental diversity statement I wrote for UC Davis and can't find the damn thing ANYWHERE!!! I've checked my hard drive, flash drive, shared drive at work, gmail account, and countless folders for a hard copy. Nada. This is so unlike me. I make copies of everything and save things in multiple places. Hell, I found the cover sheet for UC Davis stamped with the date mailed. But is the essay attached? Of course not. Now, I'm totally screwed between my choices: Start from scratch and submit god knows when (or what) tonight, OR take a huge risk and wait until tomorrow morning, hope to god the damn essay is on the desktop of a work computer, and submit then. This blows!!!!! :bang:

So, I was unable to submit last week because I was waiting for confirmation on a research poster presentation. Got that late Friday and have spent this afternoon tweaking the essays that I still had to write to make them 'pretty'. I get ready to submit and go to fetch the supplemental diversity statement I wrote for UC Davis and can't find the damn thing ANYWHERE!!! I've checked my hard drive, flash drive, shared drive at work, gmail account, and countless folders for a hard copy. Nada. This is so unlike me. I make copies of everything and save things in multiple places. Hell, I found the cover sheet for UC Davis stamped with the date mailed. But is the essay attached? Of course not. Now, I'm totally screwed between my choices: Start from scratch and submit god knows when (or what) tonight, OR take a huge risk and wait until tomorrow morning, hope to god the damn essay is on the desktop of a work computer, and submit then. This blows!!!!! :bang:

That stinks big time! Do you remember the gist of your essay? If so, it should be a lot quicker to write the second time. Good luck! If it were me, I'd write it tonight instead of waiting until morning since it is due tomorrow at 1 PM!

You could write something tonight and then see if the essay is on the work computer tomorrow morning - that way if its not there then you have something to submit and it is there then you are good to go.

Either way! Good luck!

I'm putting on the "finishing" touches to my diversity essay - its not been fun to write - just glad I'm almost done with all this writing about myself buisness....

That stinks big time! Do you remember the gist of your essay? If so, it should be a lot quicker to write the second time. Good luck! If it were me, I'd write it tonight instead of waiting until morning since it is due tomorrow at 1 PM!

You could write something tonight and then see if the essay is on the work computer tomorrow morning - that way if its not there then you have something to submit and it is there then you are good to go.

Either way! Good luck!

I'm putting on the "finishing" touches to my diversity essay - its not been fun to write - just glad I'm almost done with all this writing about myself buisness....

Hey guys - Thanks for the support. I wish it were easy... Being a non-trad, these essays are a pain as you've got to figure out what to put in and what to leave out. Anyway, as I sit here watching the Giants vs Green Bay (nail biter that I need to distract myself from - born a Giants fan and adopted GB when I moved out there - it's tough) I have concluded the following: It's impossible for me to write a decent 'me' essay under time pressure; and I would rather submit the app from my work computer anyway as the connection is both guaranteed and Fort Knox secure. Thus, I'm going to throw caution to the wind and go into the office early tomorrow morning. It has to be there - I printed it out on a printer in my office. But I'll write up an outline tonight so I have something just in case.

Hey guys - Thanks for the support. I wish it were easy... Being a non-trad, these essays are a pain as you've got to figure out what to put in and what to leave out. Anyway, as I sit here watching the Giants vs Green Bay (nail biter that I need to distract myself from - born a Giants fan and adopted GB when I moved out there - it's tough) I have concluded the following: It's impossible for me to write a decent 'me' essay under time pressure; and I would rather submit the app from my work computer anyway as the connection is both guaranteed and Fort Knox secure. Thus, I'm going to throw caution to the wind and go into the office early tomorrow morning. It has to be there - I printed it out on a printer in my office. But I'll write up an outline tonight so I have something just in case.

I'm a non-trad as well and yes it is such a pain figureing out what to put in these essays. I've done so many different things and all have contributed - but some I covered in my PS - and I hate to repeat myself - and the word diversity - ugh - what makes me diverse? By who's standards? I think I've narrowed it down well enough - I hate that they don't have interviews - this is the only chance we get to really explain ourselves - no pressure or anything, right?

Distraction is always a great tactic :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed your essay is there and waiting for you first thing in the morning!

I'm a non-trad as well and yes it is such a pain figureing out what to put in these essays. I've done so many different things and all have contributed - but some I covered in my PS - and I hate to repeat myself - and the word diversity - ugh - what makes me diverse? By who's standards? I think I've narrowed it down well enough - I hate that they don't have interviews - this is the only chance we get to really explain ourselves - no pressure or anything, right?

Distraction is always a great tactic :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed your essay is there and waiting for you first thing in the morning!

Misery loves company! Thanks for the well wishes. I'll be sure to report the findings in the am. :)

Also wishing you luck!
My diversity essay in a nutshell:
I am pretty boring, but I respect diversity a lot! Also, I lived in Appalachia for a while and learned about poverty!

Somehow I've stretched this out to get to 3000 characters. Sooo much BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm BSing my essay by pulling bits and pieces from all the essays i've written so far...not sure how it will work out or how cohesive it will be, but here goes.

and yup still up writing my essay. this should go well...?

I just started like 2 hours ago, and am copy-paste + editing too. It's gonna be totally fine! (I decided.)
Honestly, I feel like WI is such a ridiculously long shot that it's probably not even going to make a difference anyway. :hungover:

Submitted! I just pulled bits and pieces from other essays too. There you go, Wisconsin.

Submitted! So glad to be finally done. I don't want to see any other application for the rest of my life. Unless it's Angry Birds...that's a good app. Crossing my fingers for everyone here!!!!!

Also wishing you luck!
My diversity essay in a nutshell:
I am pretty boring, but I respect diversity a lot! Also, I lived in Appalachia for a while and learned about poverty!

Somehow I've stretched this out to get to 3000 characters. Sooo much BS.

Bahaha, I love this! I think "Diversity" essays are pretty much straight BS for 90%+ of us....there are very few people that actually fit what I assume their definition of "diverse" is.

I really wanted my diversity essay to just say....."Well, I'm awesome. And I worked my ass off. And don't disregard this application just because I'm white....pretty please? Because that would be super lame, not to mention racist, in that awkward reverse-racism sort of way."

I just started like 2 hours ago, and am copy-paste + editing too. It's gonna be totally fine! (I decided.)
Honestly, I feel like WI is such a ridiculously long shot that it's probably not even going to make a difference anyway. :hungover:

ACK, I feel the same way. I think we're all getting a bit burnt out and loopy, no? It's hard to put 100% of your effort in to something for four months straight. Stupid dreams and aspirations, why do you nag at me?

Bahaha, I love this! I think "Diversity" essays are pretty much straight BS for 90%+ of us....there are very few people that actually fit what I assume their definition of "diverse" is.

I really wanted my diversity essay to just say....."Well, I'm awesome. And I worked my ass off. And don't disregard this application just because I'm white....pretty please? Because that would be super lame, not to mention racist, in that awkward reverse-racism sort of way."

Diversity doesn't mean racial diversity, in most cases, guys. :) Calm your little white butts down.

It's just another chance to emphasize what you bring to the table. While they provide kind of cookie cutter prompts, they're not going to penalize you for middle-class femaledom-- remember the demographics of Wisconin. They'd be penalizing everybody.

Thanks, all!

Found, tweaked, cut, pasted, and submitted.

Done.

I definitely procrastinated too much on this! I finished late last night. I tried to elaborate that I'm a first generation college student, first generation American (my parents immigrated to America from Europe), and that I'm a non-traditional student. I talked about how while I have been completing pre-reqs I've been working full time. Hopefully it's good enough - I wish they just did interviews! I feel like I could explain why I'm deserving in person rather than in 4000 characters!

just submitted! :soexcited: #lastminute #procrastinationFTW.

it sucks we won't know till end of march though...by then hopefully we'll all have a bunch of acceptances heehee :D :rolleyes:

but! finally done with supplementals/writing essays/applications...just need to focus on interviews now and getting at least a B in physics II and orgo lab I :thumbup:

Yay it's submitted! Now the long wait...

I'm crossing my fingers for all of you!!!!:xf::xf::xf::xf:

Now back to studying...

Are they really going to take until February to send acceptances??

Are they really going to take until February to send acceptances??

Yes. I know. I'm so sorry. My roommate last year only applied to Wisconsin and I think it annoyed her when I had OOS applications to occupy myself with. :(

I believe in you! Try not to worry too much while you wait!

I thought it was more like the middle of March when they finally get around to it actually. Ah, the suspense.......:D

Just a head's up, everyone--Fall transcripts due by Jan 23rd, according to the website. :)

Thanks Reader! I meant to look into that then forgot.

Is anyone else going crazy waiting to hear back?! The radio silence is killing me! I know I have a long wait ahead of me but jeez! With CSU, I loved being able to check the admissions portal obsessively but there is nothing to obsess over on the UW website... How is everyone else dealing with it?

I'm kinda just trying to not think about it... Which isn't really working.

Is anyone else going crazy waiting to hear back?! The radio silence is killing me! I know I have a long wait ahead of me but jeez! With CSU, I loved being able to check the admissions portal obsessively but there is nothing to obsess over on the UW website... How is everyone else dealing with it?

I'm obsessing over my other schools instead! :laugh: But really, waiting for interviews and then decisions from 5 other schools has definitely helped distract me from Wisconsin's long wait. It certainly made my Cornell rejection bearable.

I also kind of assume Wisconsin is a long shot for me, based on the fact that their OOS tuition is so much lower than most other schools and I figure the competition from other OOSers will be very steep. I have decent stats, but others have *stellar* stats. Also, somehow it's a bit of a comfort knowing that there is absolutely nothing I can do at this point to alter my chance of acceptance or rejection.

Yeah, makes me wish I had applied to more schools just so that I could be distracted! Okay... not really...

Also, somehow it's a bit of a comfort knowing that there is absolutely nothing I can do at this point to alter my chance of acceptance or rejection.

That is a good way to think about it. My issue is that I want to start planning my next steps. Do I look for apartments in Colorado or Wisconsin? Should I start looking into financial aid, even though I don't have any answers yet? It is so frustrating!

I'm obsessing over my other schools instead! :laugh: But really, waiting for interviews and then decisions from 5 other schools has definitely helped distract me from Wisconsin's long wait. It certainly made my Cornell rejection bearable.

I also kind of assume Wisconsin is a long shot for me, based on the fact that their OOS tuition is so much lower than most other schools and I figure the competition from other OOSers will be very steep. I have decent stats, but others have *stellar* stats. Also, somehow it's a bit of a comfort knowing that there is absolutely nothing I can do at this point to alter my chance of acceptance or rejection.

What other schools did you apply to? Based on the other posts I can see we both applied to Cornell, osu, and wisconsin..

That is a good way to think about it. My issue is that I want to start planning my next steps. Do I look for apartments in Colorado or Wisconsin? Should I start looking into financial aid, even though I don't have any answers yet? It is so frustrating!

You can do your FAFSA and list multiple schools. Should start thinking about this soon.

You've only got about a month to go before you hear from Wisconsin, so try not to fret too much. I was in this position last year, except it was MO, IN, or WI...

I know the housing crap in WI is really frustrating and crazy, but you CAN find a place and you WILL (especially since you'll probably want to move to the west end of campus and beyond to be near the vet school, they are less psycho about leasing). I can't speak to CSU, but finding out where you're going by April is more than enough time to plan a cross-country move! If I can do it, you can too!

What other schools did you apply to? Based on the other posts I can see we both applied to Cornell, osu, and wisconsin..

I applied to Cornell (rejected!), OSU :love:, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Mizzou (interview TOMORROW! *gulp*), Illinois, and Iowa. I only applied to my IS school on my first try 5 years ago, so I wanted to increase my chances for my second try. :p Where else did you apply?

I'm just trying to focus on the interviews I have coming up since I don't really have high expectations of getting into Wisconsin as OOS. My GPA is good, but not a 3.8, but I figured I would apply since I liked what I read about the program and the OOS tuition is definitely a bonus since it's like 10k a year cheaper than my IS. I've also heard great things about Madison as a city and think I'd prefer that kind of environment, so I figured I might as well give it a shot.

I just have to keep telling myself "1 more month" cuz any longer than that and I'll go crazy. WI is my in-state school and #1 choice, so it's been frustrating having to wait so long for my top choice. But I guess you have to wait for the best things in life...:)

Wisconsin is my instate as well. Definitely getting antsy as it's my last shot. Crossing my fingers for all who applied!

Anyone who needs help with housing feel free to PM me. I know Madison really, really well, I have lived here for almost 7 years and have been all over town, not just downtown/campus. Also I know the horse community pretty well if anyone wants to find a place to board/ride.

I also own a house with a spare bedroom or two, and a lenient pet policy. If I get in ( :xf: ) I'd love to rent one to a fellow c/o 2016-er!

Last edited:
Got an e-mail from them today that said they're putting together the Class of 2016 now and we'll all know by the end of February! :xf::xf::xf: :luck::luck::luck:

That email was a teaser, did they tell everyone to apply to fafsa?