Wisconsin c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Come to Mizzzzooooooou. ;)

(kidding. kind of. not really. i <3 UW)

I think I just might! :laugh:

(Accepted at Mizzou, rejected at UW, waitlisted at Ohio State, still waiting on IL.)

My husband is lactose intolerant, anyway! :p

Members don't see this ad.

I feel the waitlister pain. Waitlister #105. I didn't even know the numbers can go that high! I am happy I got waitlisted though, despite the minuscule chance of getting called off of it.

Does anyone know if they ever get above 100 on the waitlist? I know in the past they have accepted 25-85 off the waitlist, but I'm wondering if people on the waitlist decline, if there is a chance they can reach the higher numbers.

I am pretty sure there a couple people in my class that were over 100 on the waitlist. I can ask today to be sure. However, last year I think they barely got to 25 if that so there is a ton of variability. No one can predict what will happen... Congrats on your waitlist position though, and to everyone one else accepted or waitlisted!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I just might! :laugh:

(Accepted at Mizzou, rejected at UW, waitlisted at Ohio State, still waiting on IL.)

My husband is lactose intolerant, anyway! :p

:D Yay!

I suppose the rest of y'all can go to UW. ;) It's a great school and you'll love it.

Just got the rejection letter, Congrats to everyone who got in.

I have a question for current in-state vet students.... did you take federal or private loans, or a mix of the federal and private loans? Any opinions on which is better (I'm currently a UW Credit Union member). Figuring out this loan stuff is nauseating..... :help:

I met with a financial aid office counselor today and that was sorta helpful, but I think it would be nice to talk with a current student who is going through the same situation. PM me if you can help.

I'm waitlisted also! What's your "alternate rank," if you don't mind my asking?

21 at Wisconsin. Also 22 at Minnesota. WI has always been my first choice and I can't help but be hopeful!!

21 at Wisconsin. Also 22 at Minnesota. WI has always been my first choice and I can't help but be hopeful!!

I can't help it either! I've kept myself pretty in check, emotionally, throughout this entire proces....until I got that waitlister letter yesterday. For the first time, I'm actually allowing myself to believe there's real hope...

Last edited:
Just got my waitlist letter!

I'm near the top of the list, so I'm definitely hopeful it will turn into an acceptance. Now I just need to decide Penn or Wisconsin...? Any thoughts? I've spent the last month researching why Penn is awesome, but I didn't want to fall in love with Wisconsin in case I got rejected. Now I need to find out more about UW! Anyone want to chime in on why it's awesome?

I am pretty sure there a couple people in my class that were over 100 on the waitlist. I can ask today to be sure. However, last year I think they barely got to 25 if that so there is a ton of variability. No one can predict what will happen... Congrats on your waitlist position though, and to everyone one else accepted or waitlisted!!

Ooops... I asked and while they were in the high 2 digits, I can't track down anyone who was over 100...

Just got my waitlist letter!

I'm near the top of the list, so I'm definitely hopeful it will turn into an acceptance. Now I just need to decide Penn or Wisconsin...? Any thoughts? I've spent the last month researching why Penn is awesome, but I didn't want to fall in love with Wisconsin in case I got rejected. Now I need to find out more about UW! Anyone want to chime in on why it's awesome?

I grew up in Philadelphia and moved to WI for my PhD, so here's my take:

Top 10 Reasons (in random order) to become a Badger (WI):
1) Best cheese and ice cream EVER!!!!! (I'm originally from Philly, so believe me that the dairy products are much better out here).
2) Small city with a big city feel... aka Madison has a lot of culture for a little city... there are always festivals, parades, music/art events going on
3) People are much friendlier and more willing to help out a stranger here than in the city of "Brotherly Love"
4) You can work with small animals, large animals, lab animals, exotics all on campus
5) There's even a national primate center on campus (1 of 8 in the country)
6) Way cheaper than living in Philadelphia
7) Much less chance of getting shot, robbed, etc at night on your way home from class/studying
8) Milwaukee is ~1 hour away and Chicago is ~2 1/2 hours away (depending on traffic of course)
9) UW has amazing opportunities to get involved in research (if that is your thing).... UW is ranked 2nd in the country for research expenditures and 4th for federally funded research
10) Badgers are much cooler than Quakers.... ;)

Anyone else going to visit on March 23rd?

I moved to WI from MA many years back, and I love the fact I can have many of the cultural advantages of an urban center, and the rural opportunities nearby. And yes, cheese and beer are plentiful and delicious. It is really cheap to live, easy to get around by bike, and there is a nice airport for getting out of town when you need to. In short, I love it here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if they sent out all the letters? Because other girls got their acceptance and rejections letters who go to my school, but I have no received anything yet. I don't want to be annoying but if everyone has got their letters I may be calling soon.

Anyone know if they sent out all the letters? Because other girls got their acceptance and rejections letters who go to my school, but I have no received anything yet. I don't want to be annoying but if everyone has got their letters I may be calling soon.

I recommend calling also. Certainly can't hurt!

I'm a non-resident alternate, w/an alternate rank of 13. They advised in their letter that in the past years, they have accepted 25-85 alternates.

I'm so scared to take this as good news....but based on what they've told me, it seems like good news? Any thoughts anyone would like to contribute?

Last year the OOS list went into at least the 70s. I was below 10 and I found out mid-late April. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the insight FutResearchVet!

See, my problem is that I really like the city of Madison better than Philadelphia... but I love UPenn and I just don't know how Wisconsin's vet school compares. I grew up outside Philly, so I have had people rave about Penn to me for the last 20 years. But Wisconsin is cheaper, and it seems like a quality school from everything I've read. It's just tough not having firsthand experience.

Thanks for the insight FutResearchVet!

See, my problem is that I really like the city of Madison better than Philadelphia... but I love UPenn and I just don't know how Wisconsin's vet school compares. I grew up outside Philly, so I have had people rave about Penn to me for the last 20 years. But Wisconsin is cheaper, and it seems like a quality school from everything I've read. It's just tough not having firsthand experience.

Anywhere you could have previously lived that had a vet school would probably rave about their own. Where I'm from, people raved about Davis. Here in Wisconsin, people are very proud of UW. Meanwhile, I haven't had anyone rave about Penn to me anywhere I've been...because I'm not in Pennsylvania. I'd say learn more about UW from current students, graduates and faculty (at the open house, via phone, or via email) before assuming that all the raving you've heard about Penn really does mean the school is superior.

Anywhere you could have previously lived that had a vet school would probably rave about their own. Where I'm from, people raved about Davis. Here in Wisconsin, people are very proud of UW. Meanwhile, I haven't had anyone rave about Penn to me anywhere I've been...because I'm not in Pennsylvania. I'd say learn more about UW from current students, graduates and faculty (at the open house, via phone, or via email) before assuming that all the raving you've heard about Penn really does mean the school is superior.

You do realize that's EXACTLY what I'm asking for here, right?

I know that I don't have access to Wisconsin vet students or graduates, and I know that some frequent SDN. So I am hoping that one of them will chime in and tell me about the cool stuff that happens at Wisconsin. I will also be visiting the campus and talking to students/faculty/admissions to get a better understanding of the school and its strengths/weaknesses.

Every AVMA-accredited vet school will provide a good education. I am just looking for my perfect fit.

You do realize that's EXACTLY what I'm asking for here, right?

I know that I don't have access to Wisconsin vet students or graduates, and I know that some frequent SDN. So I am hoping that one of them will chime in and tell me about the cool stuff that happens at Wisconsin. I will also be visiting the campus and talking to students/faculty/admissions to get a better understanding of the school and its strengths/weaknesses.

Every AVMA-accredited vet school will provide a good education. I am just looking for my perfect fit.

No need to get sassy with Variegata, she's just trying to help!

Didn't you get a packet with FAQ's/contact numbers for current students to talk about specific topics? That went out in the acceptance packet last year and would be a good place to start if you received them.

Also just call the admissions office. I'm sure they would be more than happy to make contacts for you to talk to someone.

I don't have time to rave about Wisconsin right now except to say that I love it. I have exams coming up and doing surgery on a cow tomorrow! I recommend doing some digging in my old posts and probably also in variegata's and other current students you may find. (Just click on my user name on go to see old posts.) I've answered lots of questions about Wisconsin in the past and mentioned things I love about it. Those things haven't changed.

Last year the OOS list went into at least the 70s. I was below 10 and I found out mid-late April. Hope that helps.

Thank you, thank you for sharing this info! This is just the morale boost I needed tonight. :oops:

My only question is... How is the Wisconsin winter treating everyone? It has been around 70 to 80 degrees the past few weeks in Arizona. If I go to Wisconsin, at least I can tell myself that I will only be buried in snow for 4 short years...:scared:

But seriously, how bad are the winters? And how long? I know this winter has been mild compared to usual.

My only question is... How is the Wisconsin winter treating everyone? It has been around 70 to 80 degrees the past few weeks in Arizona. If I go to Wisconsin, at least I can tell myself that I will only be buried in snow for 4 short years...:scared:

But seriously, how bad are the winters? And how long? I know this winter has been mild compared to usual.

This winter doesn't really feel like winter at all. I think we only had 1 or 2 days that were around zero degrees. This winter has been mostly 20-40F degrees. Normally, most of January, February, and some of March is around zero. The snow amount varies between 40-120 inches year year (my first winter here was 120 inches of snow and a few days that were -35F with the windchill... basically you couldn't go outside for more than about 5 min.

The summers are awesome here... not too hot, not too cold. Perfect for chilling at Memorial Union, which is right on Lake Mendota.

You get used to it, really, and it makes it easier to stay inside and study.

Buy yourself a good winter coat and boots when you get here, and you'll be fine. Yes, I do miss San Diego, and going to the beach any winter/early spring day that happened to be warm, but I really haven't had too hard a time out here.

How is everyone (especially OOS) dealing with housing? I've never been to Madison before, so I'm needing some help! Any advice from current students?

How is everyone (especially OOS) dealing with housing? I've never been to Madison before, so I'm needing some help! Any advice from current students?

Lynn Maki has a housing list of people from around the school looking for roommates that she can send you. There's also Craigslist, if you're daring, as well as the UW Medical Students website that has housing listings (http://www.uwmedstudents.com/) and is probably less shady than Craigslist. I know a lot of people also did internet research for housing before coming to the open house and made appointments to tour places when they came out for the open house (this was especially true for people living alone).

I don't have time to rave about Wisconsin right now except to say that I love it. I have exams coming up and doing surgery on a cow tomorrow! I recommend doing some digging in my old posts and probably also in variegata's and other current students you may find. (Just click on my user name on go to see old posts.) I've answered lots of questions about Wisconsin in the past and mentioned things I love about it. Those things haven't changed.

Will do! I remembered wisconsin students chiming in before, but it's tough to search without the usernames. Thanks :)

Didn't you get a packet with FAQ's/contact numbers for current students to talk about specific topics? That went out in the acceptance packet last year and would be a good place to start if you received them.

Also just call the admissions office. I'm sure they would be more than happy to make contacts for you to talk to someone.

Sassy? Really?
... moving on.

No, they don't give waitlisters that info. And given that I'm waitlisted, doing this comparison may be useless, but if I'm accepted I want to make an informed decision.

I will be meeting with admissions next week for a tour and to learn about the school. I just like hearing from current students because anywhere can give a good dog & pony show. It's just hard to know what's behind the scenes.

I currently live in Philly; but lived in Madison (worked at the UW) for a few years. In a perfect world, I would have been offered admission to both UPenn and the UW. Had that occurred, I know for a fact that I would have packed up and went back to the UW. Not that Penn is a bad school (it's one of the best in the nation) or that I wouldn't want to attend. It's just that I LOVED living in Madison, and am already somewhat familiar with the vet school and the program which I find to be both diverse and flexible in their training. Additionally, having once worked for the university, I know that I would have been able to take advantage of several opportunities to work with the biomedical research programs on campus.

Also, the Vet School Towns thread may be helpful to you: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=604239

Best of luck with your decision!

Ooops... I asked and while they were in the high 2 digits, I can't track down anyone who was over 100...

Thanks for asking around about this! I figured it was probably a long shot if they got into the triple digits. I will consider the letter a consolation prize of sorts, but who knows maybe they'll get up there this year.

Lynn Maki has a housing list of people from around the school looking for roommates that she can send you. There's also Craigslist, if you're daring, as well as the UW Medical Students website that has housing listings (http://www.uwmedstudents.com/) and is probably less shady than Craigslist. I know a lot of people also did internet research for housing before coming to the open house and made appointments to tour places when they came out for the open house (this was especially true for people living alone).

thank you!

Quick question. Is the open house on March 23rd only for accepted students? I am number 27 on the wait list so I know there is a chance (right???) that I could be called off it. I was accepted at another school, but am very interested in Madison. Could anyone come? I really want to tour the school and get a good feel for it if the occasion does arise I get called off the alternate list I would like to make an informed decision. Thanks guys!
Sarah

Quick question. Is the open house on March 23rd only for accepted students? I am number 27 on the wait list so I know there is a chance (right???) that I could be called off it. I was accepted at another school, but am very interested in Madison. Could anyone come? I really want to tour the school and get a good feel for it if the occasion does arise I get called off the alternate list I would like to make an informed decision. Thanks guys!
Sarah

I visited UW earlier this week and decided that it's not the right fit for me. So, you have 1 less person ahead of you on the waitlist! I would say there's a high chance that you'll get called. Didn't the letter say up to #75 in recent years? :thumbup:

I don't think the open house is for everyone.... I would think that they would have e-mailed waitlisted applicants about it otherwise.... but e-mail Lynn and ask.

SnowyRox - Why did you decide it wasn't the right fit? I am on the wait list and I can't afford to go visit right now but I really want to know what the school and Madison are like.

This is a list of some of the things that are notable to me about Wisconsin. Some are positives, some are negatives and all could be viewed in either light.

small class size (80 students); mostly white females (Scandinavian descendents); small animal hospital, large animal hospital, and classrooms are all connected; young veterinary school (25 years old); no interviews; sandwiched between a lake and an arboretum; friendly Midwestern attitude; nice variety of buildings but relatively small city; cheap rent (and inexpensive houses for sale); near Milwaukee; cold, snowy winters; Lutheran churches everywhere

Thanks SnowyRox - seems pretty much like I was imagining it except the cheap rent - yay!

Dearest cheeseheads, I'll be visiting Madison on the 23rd and 24th for the open house. This will be my first time in Madison (and the Midwest) and I want it to be a memorable trip. Please inform me of what I must do, eat, and experience while in Madison.
If any current or prospective students want to meet up after the open house, please send me a PM.

I'll also be there the same time as ASUprevet but I'm staying longer (until the morning of the 27th). Is anyone (preferrably a first year) willing to let me shadow them on Monday (26th)?

Dearest cheeseheads, I'll be visiting Madison on the 23rd and 24th for the open house. This will be my first time in Madison (and the Midwest) and I want it to be a memorable trip. Please inform me of what I must do, eat, and experience while in Madison.
If any current or prospective students want to meet up after the open house, please send me a PM.

As a Madison transplant (came to WI from CO for undergrad), I feel very confident that I've picked up a few things.

Food:
(Disclaimer: None of these things are good for your health. You've been warned.)
1. A brat. State Street Brats is a good place to check it out
2. A pint of Spotted Cow. Any bar/restaurant in Madison worth it's salt will have it on tap.
3. Fried cheese curds. The Old Fashioned (a restaurant on the capitol square named after a very tasty beverage. Order an old fashioned sweet with brandy... mmm) has some pretty good ones but there are a bunch of places to try them out. Really I don't think I've had a bad one.
4. Ice cream from Babcock Dairy. It is actually very close to the vet school and you will never look at ice cream the same way again.
5. The Plaza Burger at The Plaza Bar. This is only if you like dive bars and if you haven't already had a heart attack from the other items on this menu. Don't even try to ask what is in the sauce. Just eat it. Then check out all of the famous people who have eaten a plaza burger and seen the light. If you really wanted to be crazy, you could get a Plaza burger with fried cheese curds and a pint of Spotted Cow. Now that is a Wisco meal.
6. If at some point you are drunk at 3 am, I would suggest Ian's pizza. There is nothing bad to eat there but there is much to be said for their Mac & Cheese pizza.
7. If at some point you are hungover, a definite possibility if you found yourself at Ian's at 3 am, these are my suggestions: The Blue Plate Diner, Hubbard Avenue Diner, Mickey's Dairy Bar (cheap but cash only! Also gets crowded fast so get there early), Sophie's Bakery, Indie Coffee (delicious waffles in a very cool coffee shop. Jason is the best barista!).

Places:
1. The Terrace - Part of one of the student unions, Memorial Union to be exact. It is right on the shore of Lake Mendota. You sit with friends and a pint of beer. Sometimes there is music, fireworks, or other events but there is *always* beer.
2. On that note, you should probably visit Memorial Union itself. The Rathskeller is pretty awesome. Union South is brand new and also pretty cool but if you can only visit one, visit Memorial Union.
3. The Capitol Square - A lot of great bars and restaurants, some even rival the culinary scene in Chicago.
4. Vilas Zoo - It's free and a lot of fun (they have badgers! :D)
5. State Street - it is a pedestrian only (and city bus...) street with a bunch of cool stores and some great, unique restaurants (Husnu's, Mediterranean Cafe, Buraka). It starts near Memorial Union and ends on the Capitol Square.

If this were during the summer you could come to the Farmer's Market (rumored to be the best in the country) or Concerts on the Square (the city puts on live shows around the Capitol building for free - usually orchestras but the style of music varies). Sadly it is not the summer but I will tempt you with those ideas nonetheless!

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff and be kicking myself for leaving something out. I bet the other Madisonians can improve upon my list. Madison is a great city, I love it here!

P.S. I'll be at the open house too so if you want a partner in crime, let me know!

P.P.S. I promise I am not 500 lbs from eating all of this delicious food. I spread it out over 6.5 years... kind of...

"If you really wanted to be crazy, you could get a Plaza burger with fried cheese curds and a pint of Spotted Cow. Now that is a Wisco meal. "

YESS. This is why I am gigantic. You don't even need to eat the burger to be gigantic, I gained most of my weight while a vegetarian :laugh:

"If you really wanted to be crazy, you could get a Plaza burger with fried cheese curds and a pint of Spotted Cow. Now that is a Wisco meal. "

YESS. This is why I am gigantic. You don't even need to eat the burger to be gigantic, I gained most of my weight while a vegetarian :laugh:

Don't forget an ice cream sundae from Babcock Dairy Hally for dessert! We may all have to get some babcock ice cream after the open house.... :)

But seriously, for those who have never visited Madison, it's not all about the food. Madison is actually a very health-friendly city. It has the best bike and walking trails and tons of them all over the city, Hoofers club for those interested in boating and outdoorsy stuff, and lots of races... Crazy legs, Madison Marathon, Ironman, just to name a few.

Don't forget an ice cream sundae from Babcock Dairy Hally for dessert! We may all have to get some babcock ice cream after the open house.... :)

But seriously, for those who have never visited Madison, it's not all about the food. Madison is actually a very health-friendly city. It has the best bike and walking trails and tons of them all over the city, Hoofers club for those interested in boating and outdoorsy stuff, and lots of races... Crazy legs, Madison Marathon, Ironman, just to name a few.

Oh yeah, it's crazy healthy here if you want it to be. I just looooooooove ice cream! Everyone here needs to get some Babcock.

Thank you amazonianfille and everyone else for your help! The food sounds almost as amazing as the University.

Oh definitely! I was just trying think of things that I show people when they visit town for the first time. FRV is right though, there are a lot of very active people here (something has to balance out all of those cheese curds!).

I'll also be there the same time as ASUprevet but I'm staying longer (until the morning of the 27th). Is anyone (preferrably a first year) willing to let me shadow them on Monday (26th)?

First years have an exam that morning, then half of us are going on a field trip to a sheep farm that afternoon. Not a great day to shadow :(