Wisconsin c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll also be there the same time as ASUprevet but I'm staying longer (until the morning of the 27th). Is anyone (preferrably a first year) willing to let me shadow them on Monday (26th)?

I'm not a first year (I'm a third), but anyone is welcome to shadow me that Monday. I have classes all day (from 7:45 to 3:15 with a break for lunch).

Members don't see this ad.

I'd offer to let people shadow, but second years also have an exam that morning, then a group-activity sort of class in the afternoon - really wouldn't be an interesting or representative day for you guys to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks variegata. I've got a nice day planned with elefante7 though. I can't wait to see Madison and the school.

Have a fun time, guys. :) Eat some cheese curds for me. I'm missing real cheese down here in Missouri.

Hey guys Some of us 1st years are most likely headed to the Blue moon on the night of the 23rd its a local pub with great food ( yes cheese curds) and great beer. Should be a great time. Everyone is more than welcome to join. Hopefully more details to be given on Friday. See you guys then. PS if people seem hungover friday please forgive them, we have a School social at a Bar thursday night haha.

Hi All, I'm an out-of-stater coming in for the open house on Friday. I am sort of scrambling as my plans to stay with a first-year have fallen through last minute! Where are other prospective staying in Madison? The rates at the nearby Best Western are up to ~$130 a night, yikes.

Hope everyone had a great time at the open house! I just thought I'd see if anyone had any lingering questions.

Hi everyone! I just created a facebook group for the class of 2016! It is titled University of Wisconsin's Vet Med Class of 2016. So you should all search for it and join! Also invite others you know that are in our class. :)

Hi everyone! I just created a facebook group for the class of 2016! It is titled University of Wisconsin's Vet Med Class of 2016. So you should all search for it and join! Also invite others you know that are in our class. :)

I typed in the title and nothing came up, so I tried some variations and shortened versions of the title but still couldn't find it. Can you put the link to it on SDN?

Yeah, I'm not seeing it either. Pretty much every other vet school though, lol!

Yeah I have been searching up and down looking for the facebook page and haven't found one, or at least one that comes up in searches. I tried making a new page with that same title tonight so let me know if you all can find it

:) Go Badgers!

Hey Guys!
Congrats to everyone that got in! I was wondering if anyone knew if they started calling off the waitlist. I'm number 27. Does anyone know what my chances are of getting in? I accepted at another school, but really have my heart set on Madison so I want to wait to sign a lease elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that I declined my out of state spot, so hopefully they'll start calling soon.

I know that I declined my out of state spot, so hopefully they'll start calling soon.

Do we know for sure that they'll be making phone calls to waitlisters? That would be amazing! The thought of waiting around for another letter seems agonizing.

I think I'll still call the admissions office tomorrow though, I won't be able to wait, ahh!

Not sure if they'll be calling. I could be wrong, but it would be nice if they did.

I just called and they haven't started calling off the list yet. But they said they would be either tonight or tomorrow. I was wondering to those of you who visited and any current students, could you give me any more insight into the program or the environment. I'm looking for a school thats very personal and supportive. I like that Madison has a small class size, but I'm wondering if its a family environment or if the students are as competitive as undergrad lol. Also are the faculty and staff very involved and invested in the student's educational development? I'm currently looking at Purdue as well, which seems to be a very compassionate environment so I was just wondering if anyone had any comparisons to share. Thanks!

I would definitely say the program at Wisconsin is personal and supportive. The office of academic affairs is home to an extremely welcoming group of faculty and staff that will spend countless hours working on behalf of the students throughout your four years at the school. The atmosphere is not competitive. Students share study materials and do their best to help anyone who might be struggling. I went to Purdue for undergrad and I have many friends in the vet school there, and I am sure the environment there is compassionate as well, but Wisconsin was definitely the right move for me!

phone calls anyone?? can't stop staring at my phone.

Ahh, ditto! I'm #13 on the waitlist...I promise to post right after I get a call.

If they don't call by 2pm or 3pm, I think I'll just call myself though, I won't be able to hold off any longer!

Do you know if that is based only on the responses from the first group offered admission? Or have they already started calling waitlisters?

I think I just died a little..I guess I expected more than 7 spots to open up at this point...sigh.

No, I'm not sure. but she said it was ok to call back and ask if its moved

Just got the call, I'M IN!! I was originally #13, and when I called this morning they said my new position was #9. About 20 minutes ago Lynn Maki called to officially offer me a spot!!

It looks like there's now another Arizona State graduate in the UW class of 2016!

Just got the call, I'M IN!! I was originally #13, and when I called this morning they said my new position was #9. About 20 minutes ago Lynn Maki called to officially offer me a spot!!

It looks like there's now another Arizona State graduate in the UW class of 2016!

Congrats and welcome to the class! :)

OMG congrats!!! So exciting! You are done waiting!!!!! :)
and on a more selfish note, that means I'm even closer than I was this morning! haha

OMG congrats!!! So exciting! You are done waiting!!!!! :)
and on a more selfish note, that means I'm even closer than I was this morning! haha

Oh, definitely! If you were around #14 a couple of days ago, that means at the very most, you're only 5 spots away! I'll bet you'll get a call tomorrow, if you haven't already gotten one today. Woohoo!

Congratulations!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Congratulations!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thank youuuu!!

If anyone in the class of 2016 wants to friend me on Facebook ( I figure we can use as much "get-to-know you" time as possible!), just search [email protected] .... I can't wait to meet you all! Soooo incredibly excited for the start of class!

Also, is anyone else looking for a fall semester roomie?? Let me know! I would rather not live with a random creepo, and I'm sure you agree!! :)

-Kristy

I just got called off the OOS waitlist!! I was originally 21.. So excited! I immediately accepted. I can't wait to meet everyone :) Seriously can't stop smiling... :D

Thank youuuu!!

If anyone in the class of 2016 wants to friend me on Facebook ( I figure we can use as much "get-to-know you" time as possible!), just search [email protected] .... I can't wait to meet you all! Soooo incredibly excited for the start of class!

Also, is anyone else looking for a fall semester roomie?? Let me know! I would rather not live with a random creepo, and I'm sure you agree!! :)

-Kristy
I added you on fb so don't be surprised when you get a friend request from someone you don't know :)

-Kristy

Congrats!

But does being admitted to the SVM guarantee someone is not a random creepo? I'm not too creepy, but I'm definitely random :p

I just got called off the OOS waitlist!! I was originally 21.. So excited! I immediately accepted. I can't wait to meet everyone :) Seriously can't stop smiling... :D

Amazing!! I knew you'd get a call! :p

Here's a question for current vet students:

Which elective(s) did you take your first semester? We just got an email from Lynn for enrolling for classes, including electives and I am not sure what to do. The 2 options listed for electives are Intro to Vet Research and World Dairy Expo Biosecurity. The Dairy Expo one doesn't really sound that interesting to me at all, so I'd be leaning more towards the Vet Research course, considering I am interested in lab animal medicine. However, after looking at the course info/syllabus I'm worried that it will be just a review for me/too basic, since I'm finishing up a PhD right now and already know the basics of how to read a research paper/write grants/etc.

So, do we have to take an elective or are electives optional? Does it look bad if we choose not to take one? Does the SVM usually offer more than just these 2 electives for first years students?

They are optional electives and there is no negative stigma if you don't take an elective every semester.

The World Daily expo elective is not really a class it is working at the World Dairy Expo in Madison. I didn't take it but my understanding is that order to get credit you attend an informational meeting one evening at school and then sign up to work two shifts at the expo. You help check in cattle and check health certificates of the animals as they are unloaded.

I took the Intro to Research elective as I am interested in research and lab animal medicine. For us it was one hour informal class during the Wednesday lunch hour. It included general information about vet research and a little bit on statistics. Most of the classes were guest speakers talking about their specific research and how they got where they are today. The only requirement of the class is to shadow 8 hours in a research lab of interest and attend one research seminar. I came into vet school with prior experience working in research lab so the 8 hours of shadowing was quite boring for me and more of a pain to squeeze into an already busy shcedule. But overall it still was good experience for me to learn about all the different areas of research in vet med and to meet other researchers who you may want to work with if you want to pursue working in a research lab during the school year or summer.

These electives are open to first and second years so you can always take them your second year instead of first.

Electives are optional - you don't have to do either of them. And if you're working on a PhD already, I would bet that the research class would be really basic for you, but perhaps a means of meeting people to do some research with while in vet school? I didn't take the class though, so don't take my word as the gospel.

I did the World Dairy Expo one last fall and it was a lot of fun! Just a quick orientation/intro lecture, then you had to do two 8-hour shifts of checking in cattle at the Expo (making sure all the cattle in the trailer are on the health certificate and all the ID numbers match up). It was pretty laid back - we had a good time at the wee hours of the morning as the trucks were coming in.

There will be a couple more electives available for first years during spring semester (Small animal emergency/critical care I and Large Animal Supportive Care). There was also a behavior conference and a nutrition conference that were offered as electives for attending - not sure the status of those for next year though (they didn't have the nutrition one my first year, so I don't know what sort of schedule that's on).

Hey guys! I got the call off the wait-list last week and went for a tour and a visit with Lynn Maki today. I fell in love with it and am hopefully accepting my offer this weekend! Anything I've missed, or any advice from those of you who are already admitted? Is there a facebook group you guys have started? I can't wait to meet everyone!!!

Hey guys! I got the call off the wait-list last week and went for a tour and a visit with Lynn Maki today. I fell in love with it and am hopefully accepting my offer this weekend! Anything I've missed, or any advice from those of you who are already admitted? Is there a facebook group you guys have started? I can't wait to meet everyone!!!

Don't mean to be a creeper, but what number on the waitlist were you? And was that in state or out of state? Thanks!

Hey everyone! Just got my financial aid award in today from my FAFSA application and I'm trying to figure out if I need to get other loans. If it isn't too personal, what are you guys budgeting per year for school? I'm not planning to live the high life by any means but I don't want to be living out of a cardboard box either! If you do decide to go for other loans, where do you look? I emailed the financial aid office but who knows when I'll hear back. I'm sure they're overwhelmed with emails!

Well she actually replied pretty quickly but unfortunately it wasn't very helpful. Basically she said, "It may be enough, it may be too much, or you may need more. I don't know."

So if there are any current UW vet students around, would you mind telling me what a realistic view is of yearly vet school costs? You can PM me if you don't want to talk about it on the forum.

(also I know there is a separate forum for estimated costs of vet school but I was hoping to hear it from UW students)

Well she actually replied pretty quickly but unfortunately it wasn't very helpful. Basically she said, "It may be enough, it may be too much, or you may need more. I don't know."

So if there are any current UW vet students around, would you mind telling me what a realistic view is of yearly vet school costs? You can PM me if you don't want to talk about it on the forum.

(also I know there is a separate forum for estimated costs of vet school but I was hoping to hear it from UW students)

I just got my financial aid offer as well. I'm going to send you an email.

Lynn called two days ago and said that I had been accepted at UW! I live just outside of Madison and it is going to be a long summer waiting for things to start.

Last edited:
Lynn called two days ago and said that I had been accepted at UW! I live just outside of Madison and it is going to be a long summer waiting for things to start.

Congratulations! Were you on the IS waitlist? If so, can I ask what number you were? I'm sitting on it right now and was wondering how far it's moved along.

Has anyone else accepted their financial aid yet? I'm nervous about whether it is too little or too much. I wrote out a list of my expenses and the amount of financial aid seems to be the right amount... but you never know.

Can't wait until orientation!!!! I look forward to meeting everyone.

Has anyone else accepted their financial aid yet? I'm nervous about whether it is too little or too much. I wrote out a list of my expenses and the amount of financial aid seems to be the right amount... but you never know.

Can't wait until orientation!!!! I look forward to meeting everyone.

If you're in doubt, there's no harm in taking all that they give you. If it ends up being more than you need/want, since they disburse half of it each semester, you can have them disburse less for second semester (call/go in and talk to them about this before depositing that second semester check though).

I'm applying to Wisconsin OOS. I spoke to a doctor who regretted not going to Wisconsin because he felt that the school had a much better comradery than the school he attended. I also have family in Wisconsin and have heard many great things about the school.

What school did he end up going to?