Wisconsin c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, here's a question for current students:
What exactly does the open house consist of?
Should I make my husband miss work that day, so he knows what's going to happen to our lives over the next 4 years? :laugh:
Or is this more of a just-for-the-students thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Same for me, FL, still nothing....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my little white envelope today in So Cal! Dang it!

For the housing sitch: I would maybe recommend living within 20 minutes driving distance to school, as when you are on call fourth year (definitely if you are an on call student tech for anything in the vet teaching hospital) I believe you will be required to show up within 20 minutes from the time they call you (current students correct me if I'm wrong about fourth year call shifts, but I know for my on call job I have to be there in 20 minutes). I know a lot of people who love living on the east side, and I also know many students who live walking distance to the vet school (but as others mentioned the places tend to be not as nice super close to school and parking isn't great, which as an issue for me). I too found it difficult to find a place to live that would accept not just cats but dogs (and not even dogs but dogs bigger than a freakin' chihuahua), but I did manage to find a nice apartment on the west side (about 5 miles away from the vet school, 15 minutes driving, 20 minutes bus ride on the #15, near Middleton) that allowed me to have my bigger dog and cats (my leasing company is JSM Properties and they're pretty great) and it costs me about $900/month + electric for a one bedroom. The bus system is really great, buses (at least #15) are usually on time, and you get a "free" bus pass as a student paying lovely student fees each semester. I have been told to definitely stay clear of W Badger Rd, and I have heard some areas around Fitch Hatchery are questionable as well.

Hey, here's a question for current students:
What exactly does the open house consist of?
Should I make my husband miss work that day, so he knows what's going to happen to our lives over the next 4 years? :laugh:
Or is this more of a just-for-the-students thing?

I found my schedule from last year:

For an hour around lunchtime, the student clubs all have tables set up and you can talk to students and see what people at the vet school are interested in.
After that (1-2:30) you sit in a classroom and there's a lot of patting yourself on the back (you've earned it!). The Dean talks, the Associate Dean talks, then a couple of faculty talk about what it's like to work here and their interactions with the students. Then a couple of current students will talk to you about being a student here. Last year they had a first year and a fourth year.

The associate Dean wraps things up, and then you get to take a tour of the school and hospital. Since they do tours in small groups, there's a conference room set up with snacks, and students and faculty (many admissions committee people) come hang out with you. This is one of the parts that really impressed me... people read my name tag and knew who I was, and started asking me specific questions about my experiences and background. I also had a few people come up to me and offer to help in any way possible, since they shared "X" characteristic with me. After 4:30 the school has its monthly social hosted by the Dean, and the students organize a night out after that. I don't remember there being any SVM organized activities on Saturday, but some students toured the university or explored town.

My husband skipped work and came with me to Madison, but he didn't actually come to any of the open house activities. Lots of people did have their parents or some other person with them though, so that's not unusual. Instead he had a couple of job interview-type meetings, and then met up with me at the Dean's social. We spent Saturday getting a feel for Madison. Knowing that we would have to choose housing from a distance, we drove around to see how long it would take to get to school from different areas of town, scoped out the cost of living in different neighborhoods, etc. For me, the most valuable part of open house was talking to the students and hearing what they thought the strengths and weaknesses are of the school, and my husband heard a lot of those conversations at the dean's social, so he knew what I was talking about when I was trying to make my decision.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how Wisconsin contacts people accepted off the waitlist or when they start letting people know?

I will probably just call and annoy them about it tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask.

Anyone know how Wisconsin contacts people accepted off the waitlist or when they start letting people know?

I will probably just call and annoy them about it tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask.

They send out everything by US mail. I called and they said that you should receive a letter by the end of this week and if not to call because it might have been lost in the mail.

They send out everything by US mail. I called and they said that you should receive a letter by the end of this week and if not to call because it might have been lost in the mail.
I'm sure she meant about how they contact you to let you know you're accepted from the wait list. I'm pretty sure it's by phone since they can't wait for weeks for an envelope to make it to you. Even then, mail (and even email) can get lost on its way to you, which is why most schools call you if you make it off the waitlist.

They definitely call for waitlists!

They will probably start calling around April 15th, most schools don't usually contact beforehand (though it's not completely unheard of).

I'm trying to plan my flight and hotel to madison for the open house but since I have not received my packet in the mail yet I do not know the itinerary. Anyone know what time it all starts?

I'm trying to plan my flight and hotel to madison for the open house but since I have not received my packet in the mail yet I do not know the itinerary. Anyone know what time it all starts?

My packet says 12:00-4:30

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected OOS. Good luck everyone else and congrats to those that got in/wait listed.

Congratulations on being #3 on the OOS waitlist! That's amazing! Did you find out any information about when they start calling people on their list? I'm #42 so I'm not holding my breath for a phone call any time soon, but I was curious if they start accepting off the waitlist as soon as people decline. Congrats again! :)

123 on the waitlist -______- what is the point of such a long list! Anyone know if they are a school that you can call to review your application and what they didn't like?

172 guys. lol. Pretty far but better than seeing a rejection letter on my birthday!

I still have not gotten my letter! Called the office today and all they did was verify what address they mailed it to and told me if it doesn't get here over the weekend they can re-mail it.
agggghhhh I just want to know!

Congratulations on being #3 on the OOS waitlist! That's amazing! Did you find out any information about when they start calling people on their list? I'm #42 so I'm not holding my breath for a phone call any time soon, but I was curious if they start accepting off the waitlist as soon as people decline. Congrats again! :)

So I contacted them today. They said they're not sure when they will call people off the wait list, just that they will as they hear back from invited applicants, but said it's alright to ask about movement via phone/email.

So I contacted them today. They said they're not sure when they will call people off the wait list, just that they will as they hear back from invited applicants, but said it's alright to ask about movement via phone/email.
Thanks for passing along that info! :)

I think they made the OOS waitlist out to #250 this year, as they had no idea how the proposed tuition changes would affect students' choices.

Since wait listed people aren't invited to the open house, is there a way to visit the school otherwise? I wasn't seeing anything like that on their website.

Well I will be requesting to be taken off of the Waitlist since I got into Florida as OOS, which is my #1! One more spot moves up! ;)

Since wait listed people aren't invited to the open house, is there a way to visit the school otherwise? I wasn't seeing anything like that on their website.
I visited Texas A&Ms open house last year (hadn't applied yet) as a potential student. I bet Wis is the same where you can just go - might be open to the public.

I visited Texas A&Ms open house last year (hadn't applied yet) as a potential student. I bet Wis is the same where you can just go - might be open to the public.

Unless anything has changed, it's not open to the public. They arrange the accepted students into groups, roughly based on interests and have you move through a planned schedule/order of events. Everyone has a nametag and a packet made up for them. If you got off the wait list, I imagine you'd have to call admissions to arrange a private visit.

This might be a silly question but...people attending the open house (specifically ladies): any idea what you're going to wear? I'm assuming it's casual but I'm kind of stumped.

I'm glad you asked because I was wondering the same thing! I was reading the WI c/o 2018 thread for ideas a while back and it seems like most people ended up wearing some jeans, a nice shirt and focusing on warmth. I'm torn because I definitely want to look professional but not out of place either. :confused:

I'm glad you asked because I was wondering the same thing! I was reading the WI c/o 2018 thread for ideas a while back and it seems like most people ended up wearing some jeans, a nice shirt and focusing on warmth. I'm torn because I definitely want to look professional but not out of place either. :confused:

Ohh that was smart to check there. Okay cool, I was thinking jeans and a sweater and boots but like you said, I didn't want to stand out if I'd be the only one wearing jeans. Good to know, thanks!

Ohh that was smart to check there. Okay cool, I was thinking jeans and a sweater and boots but like you said, I didn't want to stand out if I'd be the only one wearing jeans. Good to know, thanks!
I'll probably wear jeans (or more casual pants) and a nicer shirt. So you won't be alone on the jeans ;) Can't wait to meet you all!

Solid rejection. It stings just a bit because I am a third time applicant that improved each passing year. I was hoping for at least waitlist. But I am more than grateful getting into my IS. Kinda makes me question how that even happened. I guess it was all about the odds. My congratulations and sarrows to everyone, however you may have been placed.

Perseverance friends; we all have the path less traveled ahead of us!!

I'll probably wear jeans (or more casual pants) and a nicer shirt. So you won't be alone on the jeans ;) Can't wait to meet you all!

Okay so I just called them to ask. The nice lady told me to wear something "casual but neat." She said we will be doing quite a bit of walking and we will be down in the clinical area, so no need for anything formal but it should be "neat." So I'm guessing a nice pair of jeans, nice but comfortable shoes, and a nice top/shirt. :)

Can't wait to meet everyone! I'll be the short reddish-brunette with blue eyes. :p

For those of you who went to the open house, how was it?

For those of you who went to the open house, how was it?
It was nice! All the students, staff and faculty were so helpful and welcoming. It definitely made me even more excited to be going there. I can't wait! Sorry to hear you couldn't attend! If you have any specific questions about stuff, I can do my best to answer based on the information I gathered from Friday :)

It was nice! All the students, staff and faculty were so helpful and welcoming. It definitely made me even more excited to be going there. I can't wait! Sorry to hear you couldn't attend! If you have any specific questions about stuff, I can do my best to answer based on the information I gathered from Friday :)

Did you learn any specifics about curriculum? Anything you learned that they do differently that seems interesting?

Did you learn any specifics about curriculum? Anything you learned that they do differently that seems interesting?

I'm probably not the best person to answer this since UW was the only school to which I applied, but here's what I gathered from the curriculum:
The first two years (summers are "off") are lecture/lab-based and there seem to be a lot of opportunities to do research and work in the clinics helping out. I believe all the professors put their lectures online/youtube for students to access outside of the classroom (although there seems to be some push-back from a few professors about this due to various reasons). They require students to shadow surgeries, appointments and necropsy rounds throughout your first two years. This summer/fall they are starting construction to build new rooms for small-group clinical labs which they hope to start in 2016. Third year (year-round) you start doing more hands-on stuff and fourth year (year-round) is mostly rotations, each 2-weeks long. 4th-years have a clinical and faculty advisor with whom they work closely to guide them on their track of either 'large animal,' 'food animal,' 'small animal' and 'other.' Another interesting thing I hadn't considered before attending the open house was the opportunity to get a formal certificate in Global or Public Health. They offer this if you want to work on a project in global or public health either in the states or abroad for a few weeks (for example, one student went to Ecuador for 5 weeks to work on a project and got a Global Health Certificate). Of course, there are also dual degree options for getting a PhD or MPH too. For scholarships, it sounds like in the fall you apply with a general application and the school then helps match you to the scholarships that best fit your eligibility. One fun thing that happens the first Friday of every month is an all-school get together where the Dean provides drinks and snacks, and faculty, staff and students gather and enjoy themselves. It seems like a very supportive and collaborative community.

I found this video that is a pretty good summary of what Lynn and others talked about at the open house:

If I'm wrong about any of this, anyone--please correct me. Hope this gives you some new information about the school!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm probably not the best person to answer this since UW was the only school to which I applied, but here's what I gathered from the curriculum:
The first two years (summers are "off") are lecture/lab-based and there seem to be a lot of opportunities to do research and work in the clinics helping out. I believe all the professors put their lectures online/youtube for students to access outside of the classroom (although there seems to be some push-back from a few professors about this due to various reasons). They require students to shadow surgeries, appointments and necropsy rounds throughout your first two years. This summer/fall they are starting construction to build new rooms for small-group clinical labs which they hope to start in 2016. Third year (year-round) you start doing more hands-on stuff and fourth year (year-round) is mostly rotations, each 2-weeks long. 4th-years have a clinical and faculty advisor with whom they work closely to guide them on their track of either 'large animal,' 'food animal,' 'small animal' and 'other.' Another interesting thing I hadn't considered before attending the open house was the opportunity to get a formal certificate in Global or Public Health. They offer this if you want to work on a project in global or public health either in the states or abroad for a few weeks (for example, one student went to Ecuador for 5 weeks to work on a project and got a Global Health Certificate). Of course, there are also dual degree options for getting a PhD or MPH too. For scholarships, it sounds like in the fall you apply with a general application and the school then helps match you to the scholarships that best fit your eligibility. One fun thing that happens the first Friday of every month is an all-school get together where the Dean provides drinks and snacks, and faculty, staff and students gather and enjoy themselves. It seems like a very supportive and collaborative community.

I found this video that is a pretty good summary of what Lynn and others talked about at the open house:

If I'm wrong about any of this, anyone--please correct me. Hope this gives you some new information about the school!

Yep - that's a good summary you must have had some excellent students talking to you :). Only a couple things to clarify: they do require us to shadow things down at the hospital (we have a 'blue sheet' to get initialed with specific tasks first year and a 'green sheet' to get initialed second year - third year there are no sheets... FYI I still haven't gotten my first year sheet turned in, shhh), but you are more than welcome to go down to the hospital seriously whenever you want - weekends, holidays if you're crazy, in between classes at school, etc. and MOST clinicians and techs will be super willing to have you shadow and watch things (you'll learn as you go the places that aren't as amenable just due to individual clinicians). You are correct that after first year and after second year we have full summers (YAY), and then after third year you have a week off then go straight to clinics/fourth year. You DO have the standard (albeit too short) winter break and spring break until fourth year. Fourth year you do get a few weeks of vacation which you can plan around your rotations and externships as well. Second semester of second year you're still stuck in lectures/labs for most of the day, but you start learning more about things to get you prepared for surgeries you'll be performing third year (anesthesiology, fundamentals of surgery, suture practice, etc.) - and then third year you start surgery!

You also have a clinical and faculty advisor beginning as soon as you enroll, and you'll find out if you haven't already who they are at the beginning of the first semester (you'll need to talk to them to sign your shadowing sheets). Some students will never talk to their assigned advisors except to get their sheets signed and others will become very close to them.

The thing I also love is you don't have to do any "tracking" or decide on a "path" until later third year, which is awesome because you'll change your mind about what you want to do like 10 times :).

Reactions: 4 users
For scholarships, it sounds like in the fall you apply with a general application and the school then helps match you to the scholarships that best fit your eligibility.

Do you know when the due dates are for applying to other forms of financial aid, like federal loans? I can't seem to find this information online. Thanks!

I do not know of any supplemental aid application for UW, and I was contacted by the fin aid office via email confirming that my "graduate assistance" step was complete so I think the FAFSA is all you need. And as for parental tax info, I believe it is optional. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about these things, I am not 100% certain.

Parental information is optional, but it can only help you if you put it on your FAFSA, as far as I was told. The main thing parental info would go toward would be for you to get the Health Professions Loan, which is usually a small loan but is a much lower interest rate than the regular grad student loans. You can't get the loan without a cosigner (here is where your parents' info comes into play), and apparently your parental info cannot harm you in terms of other loans/rates/etc.

I just called and the OOS waitlist had moved 6 spots so far (originally I was #42 and I'm now at #36!) Just thought I would update everyone!

I just called and the OOS waitlist had moved 6 spots so far (originally I was #42 and I'm now at #36!) Just thought I would update everyone!
Wait what?? I'm number 3 and never got a call. Oh no :(