Wisconsin c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok I just called. The oos wait list hasn't moved and they probably won't be calling anyone until April, the woman said. She was SO nice and understanding! "Don't worry, we won't skip over you." Probably used to dealing with us neurotic prevets haha.

/deep sigh of relief/

Members don't see this ad.

Oh sorry - I didn't mean to scare you! I think what she means is that they haven't accepted anyone off their OOS waitlist yet, but they have updated applicants' position on the list accordingly once people decline their acceptance. It's a bit confusing what "movement on the list" means, but as of today 6 people in the top 41 have declined their acceptance. :)

Edit: I meant to say 6 people in the top 41 have declined their spot on the OOS waitlist.

Last edited:
Oh sorry - I didn't mean to scare you! I think what she means is that they haven't accepted anyone off their OOS waitlist yet, but they have updated applicants' position on the list accordingly once people decline their acceptance. It's a bit confusing what "movement on the list" means, but as of today 6 people in the top 41 have declined their acceptance. :)

Haha, my bad for being so neurotic! Does that mean they accepted 41 people ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, my bad for being so neurotic! Does that mean they accepted 41 people ?
No worries - I'm the same way! My understanding is they haven't accepted anyone off the OOS waitlist yet, but have deleted people from the list once applicants officially declined their waitlist spot. I'm not sure how many total people have declined, but I do know that 6 people who were originally ranked between 1 and 41 have declined so far - that's how I moved from 42 to 36.

Last edited:
No worries - I'm the same way! My understanding is they haven't accepted anyone off the OOS waitlist yet, but have deleted people from the list once accepted applicants officially declined their seat. I'm not sure how many total people have declined, but I do know that 6 people who were originally ranked between 1 and 41 have declined so far - that's how I moved from 42 to 36.
Sweet, then I should be -3 :p

Thanks @GrizzlyMaya3

Hey guys. Do you know if their are any farmer markets near campus? My giant tortoise LOVESSSS fresh vegetables and I want to support the local farmers as much as possible. He is picky however, he doesn't like carrots, who knew!?!

-Tony

Hey guys. Do you know if their are any farmer markets near campus? My giant tortoise LOVESSSS fresh vegetables and I want to support the local farmers as much as possible. He is picky however, he doesn't like carrots, who knew!?!

-Tony

Yep! They've got at least one pretty big one:
http://dcfm.org

-Tony

Madison's farmers market on the square has made me a market snob and has likely set me up for failure anywhere else I move to. My satisfaction with my local farmers markets now that I've moved away is pretty low.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any thoughts on how the state budget cuts, and resulting tuition increases, will affect the vet school? Do you think the quality of education will be affected? Or the program's reputation within the vet community? I'm a little concerned about any school in the midst of a big change...

Sorry if someone already asked this but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something REALLY important...I know the pink form has to be sent back to the school by April 15th but I can't find anything in any of the paperwork about a deposit. It seems like every other school requires one so I feel like I must be missing something..?

Nope, I sent my form in (a while ago--like before open house :p ) without any kind of deposit, and I received an email acknowledgement of their receipt of my acceptance.

Yayyyyyy for no deposit! (for reference, I am IS--don't know if that matters)

Reactions: 1 user
Yup! No desposit (for both IS and OOS) :D

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the state budget cuts, and resulting tuition increases, will affect the vet school? Do you think the quality of education will be affected? Or the program's reputation within the vet community? I'm a little concerned about any school in the midst of a big change...

I highly doubt that it will affect anything except for the cost of your education.

Has anyone lived in or looked at the university's graduate housing options? Pros/cons compared to off campus??

Has anyone lived in or looked at the university's graduate housing options? Pros/cons compared to off campus??
I know it's cheap and also always has a long waiting list. I think the main issue for vet students is that no pets are allowed there.

Have a friend whose husband lived in the graduate student housing...
I heard it does not have a/c and has super slow internet. Fair warning!

Any recommendations of good places to live?

We've had several meetings with the Dean about this, and it sounds like the tuition increases are what's making up for the budget cuts and allowing the school to maintain its quality of education. So no, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as that is concerned. And I don't think there's any reason why our reputation would be affected. We just had our accreditation done this year and tied for #5. I'd be much more concerned about a school going through a curriculum change than a tuition increase. It just makes it that much harder for students to afford the cost of a veterinary education, especially out of state.

Reactions: 1 users
We've had several meetings with the Dean about this, and it sounds like the tuition increases are what's making up for the budget cuts and allowing the school to maintain its quality of education. So no, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as that is concerned. And I don't think there's any reason why our reputation would be affected. We just had our accreditation done this year and tied for #5. I'd be much more concerned about a school going through a curriculum change than a tuition increase. It just makes it that much harder for students to afford the cost of a veterinary education, especially out of state.
Thank you, @fractiousfeline and @elefante7!

I know it's cheap and also always has a long waiting list. I think the main issue for vet students is that no pets are allowed there.

Have a friend whose husband lived in the graduate student housing...
I heard it does not have a/c and has super slow internet. Fair warning!

I lived in the graduate student housing 'Eagle Heights' for all 4 years. Several of my classmates did as well for some or all of the time. There was no waiting list at the time. No idea about now. There are no pets allowed- that is correct. That is the biggest deterrent for most vet students. Though some small furry things are allowed- just no cats or dogs. There isn't any a/c which is a problem in the summer. We bought a window unit which worked well enough. The internet was very speedy at my place and is included in your rent. A number of other things are also included such as utilities (including heat!) and parking for 1 car. It is also very close to the vet school and on a convenient bus line. The neighborhood is friendly and has a nice wooded setting. It was a great place for me, but it isn't for everyone.

If anyone's curious, I just emailed them and they are still receiving decisions from applicants and will be making calls to alternates "soon" but they haven't started yet. I guess a little more waiting won't kill me.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know when they will start making calls? Past threads seem to indicate after 4/15 they started pretty quickly. I know I should just chill out, but I'm so tired of waiting. :oops:

Thanks so much for letting me know! How was your tour? Would you mind telling me a little about it? I've been to the school, but didn't get a tour.

Good luck, I hope to see you in the fall!:)

Last edited:
Good luck everyone!!
If you don't mind me asking, I'm in the c/o 2020 cycle and have some questions about UW Madison. I'm OOS, and am wondering if it's even going to be worth it to apply. What is the typical GPA of someone who is considered a "competitive" applicant at UW? I have around a 3.65 gpa at the moment, but according to the stats on the website the average accepted gpa is a 3.8+. Have you found this to hold true? Thanks :)

Good luck everyone!!
If you don't mind me asking, I'm in the c/o 2020 cycle and have some questions about UW Madison. I'm OOS, and am wondering if it's even going to be worth it to apply. What is the typical GPA of someone who is considered a "competitive" applicant at UW? I have around a 3.65 gpa at the moment, but according to the stats on the website the average accepted gpa is a 3.8+. Have you found this to hold true? Thanks :)
In general, it seems like most applicants that are accepted have GPAs around that range, give or take a tenth of a point. This year there were 1,026 non-resident applicants for 28 seats, so they can clearly be picky with numbers. But those posted GPAs are just means, so plenty of people are admitted with lower numbers, especially if you have some awesome vet experiences or high GRE scores. Also their OOS waitlist tends to move quite a bit. I would say go ahead and apply and see what happens! Good luck!

Hi everyone! I'm going to be a first year and have been looking into housing, but still need to find roommates! I've been looking at the Les Chateaux apartments (http://www.jsmproperties.com/les-chateaux-apartments/34) which end up being about a 15-20 min bus in the morning. They are also slightly farther to the west, which means they are more quiet and are near food/stores, as opposed to the east side, which has the undergrad campus and the stadium (which can get loud). These apartments have 3 bedroom/2 baths and allow pets! I think the limit is either 2 cats or one dog. I currently have no pets and may get a small pocket pet (rat possibly?) while I'm in my first year, but am totally fine if other roommates bring their pets along to school.

The cost ends up being less than $500 per person if divided evenly, although we could prorate it because one of the rooms has its own bathroom. Heat/electric and internet is not included, but water and trash are included.

If anyone is still looking for housing and might be interested in this place, PM me! (P.S. I love wine and will definitely share with roommates haha)

And good luck to alternates that are hearing back soon!

Anyone know when classes start? I'm not having much luck figuring that out for some reason.

Anyone know when classes start? I'm not having much luck figuring that out for some reason.
Congrats!!!
I was trying to figure this out yesterday. There is nothing listed on the vetmed website, but for undergrad it's Sept 2. Not sure if it's the same for the vet school. :shrug:

Congratulations, @Beagleholly! That's so exciting! The first day of orientation is Wednesday, August 19. Hopefully I'll see you all there!

August 19th!?! Totally wasn't expecting that. When do actual classes start?
The first day of classes is the following Wednesday, August 26th. Orientation is 3 days, then we have a 4 day weekend before classes start. Are you definitely accepting an offer from Wisconsin if you get one, or are you still deciding?

The first day of classes is the following Wednesday, August 26th. Orientation is 3 days, then we have a 4 day weekend before classes start. Are you definitely accepting an offer from Wisconsin if you get one, or are you still deciding?
Plan to accept if I do get an offer. Really hoping I get one!
Also, what is an appropriate time to start looking at housing?

I'm not sure... I know some people already have housing, but I just started looking recently.

Accepted!!!!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!!!!!! :soexcited:

Congratulations!

Do you happen to know if there's something we need to do besides email with our offer acceptance? Any forms or deposit or anything?

Congratulations!

Do you happen to know if there's something we need to do besides email with our offer acceptance? Any forms or deposit or anything?
Nothing that I'm aware of

I started screaming and crying on the phone... apparently I am not very dignified when I hear my dreams have come true, haha.

Reactions: 3 users