Wisconsin c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I just got my acceptance call! I really need some advice. I've already put down a deposit at a different school, but Wisconsin has the dual DVM/PHD program. This is what I absolutely want to do but the school I accepted does not offer this. I would consider it worth losing the deposit and going to Wisconsin if I could be a part of this program, but I talked to Jenna and I guess we don't really "apply" for it until we are actually starting our semester there in the fall. If anyone could give me some advice on how competitive this is or if there is a chance that I will be express interest in it but won't be able to be part of the program that would be awesome! I did find some good information about the program on the website but not really the application process or how competitive it is. Thank you so much!

Has anyone received their campus ID, netID, and instructions for setting up their school email address? I received an email from Jenna this afternoon saying I would likely receive these by the end of the week, but I'm wondering if mine is coming later because I was just pulled off the waitlist. Has anyone who was admitted in February gotten these yet? Just hoping I'm not late to register and the World Dairy Expo Biosecurity course fills up before I can enroll.

I was admitted in February and did already receive mine , so I'm guessing it is because of just getting off the waitlist. When I signed up (which was about 12 hours late haha), the Dairy Expo Biosecurity course still had spots, so good luck!! Hopefully everyone that would've wanted in had already enrolled by then.

Thank you, @morethanone1123! I hope you're right that there are still spots available. Are you taking one, or both, of those two electives?

I got an email after I already set mine up. I went to the my wisconsin page, called the office that they tell you to call to get my ID number, and registered my email/netID with that number.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm so far just signed up for the Dairy Expo. The other one was full, so I'm on the waitlist.

Really hope Dairy expo is still open when I get my NetID....

Do many first year students take both electives in the fall (19 credit hours)? That sounds like a lot!

The dairy thing sounds like it's one lecture and then 2 8 hour shifts one weekend, so that's not too bad. The research is once a week during lunch and is pass fail, I think. So it doesn't sound unreasonable to do both.
Do many first year students take both electives in the fall (19 credit hours)? That sounds like a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else not receive an email with their campus ID?

Congratulations to everyone that got accepted!!! Isn't the date that you need to tell a vet school you accept them April 15th? How do some schools wait until after?

Congratulations to everyone that got accepted!!! Isn't the date that you need to tell a vet school you accept them April 15th? How do some schools wait until after?
Yes, the national reply deadline is April 15 for admitted students (those who were admitted in February). Several applicants, including me, were on the OOS alternate list then got called off in mid- to late-April. Wisconsin gives students admitted off the alternate list 2 days to respond. Good luck this coming cycle!

Yes, the national reply deadline is April 15 for admitted students (those who were admitted in February). Several applicants, including me, were on the OOS alternate list then got called off in mid- to late-April. Wisconsin gives students admitted off the alternate list 2 days to respond. Good luck this coming cycle!

Thank you!

Thank you!! I'm super excited. Kind of sucks I'm late to the whole housing thing, but if anyone is still looking for a roommate, and is fine with me bringing my pup along that'd be great. We can always talk some more as well. :)

Thank you!! I'm super excited. Kind of sucks I'm late to the whole housing thing, but if anyone is still looking for a roommate, and is fine with me bringing my pup along that'd be great. We can always talk some more as well. :)
I haven't found a place yet either, and I was accepted in April ;).

I haven't found a place yet either, and I was accepted in April ;).

Haha! Well then I guess I don't feel too out of the loop :p I've teamed up with a future classmate of ours, we're trying to find a house and are looking for a third person! So if you want to you are welcome to join our quest for a home!!! Or anyone else on here for that matter! :D

Or you're like me and get called off the wait list on May 11th!!!! I'll be joining the rest of you this fall after I decline my seat with Illinois. :)

So if you get called off a wait list (that hypothetically let's say was your #1 choice) but you've already accepted at another vet school, then what happens?

Haha! Well then I guess I don't feel too out of the loop :p I've teamed up with a future classmate of ours, we're trying to find a house and are looking for a third person! So if you want to you are welcome to join our quest for a home!!! Or anyone else on here for that matter! :D
Thanks, but I think I'm going to live by myself at least for the first year.

So if you get called off a wait list (that hypothetically let's say was your #1 choice) but you've already accepted at another vet school, then what happens?
You decide how much you really want to attend and whether it is worth losing your deposit at the other vet school. In my case, the difference in tuition would more than make up for the loss of my deposit. Then you just kindly tell the other school that you are going elsewhere and accept at Wisconsin :)

You decide how much you really want to attend and whether it is worth losing your deposit at the other vet school. In my case, the difference in tuition would more than make up for the loss of my deposit. Then you just kindly tell the other school that you are going elsewhere and accept at Wisconsin :)
Yup, that's exactly what I did. Wisconsin has always been my #1 choice so I was able to accept their offer of admission immediately (they require a response in writing so a quick email was fine). But if you need some time to think it over, you have about 48 hours to respond. Then you let the school you put down a deposit at know that they just got some free money. ;)

Are we supposed to hear anything from Wisconsin any time soon? I could've sworn they said they were sending out more information in early July, but maybe I'm thinking of another school. Not that it really matters, I'm just so excited/nervous. :oops:

I called OAA the other day to ask about supplies we need and Jenna told me info should be sent out later this week. I'm hoping to have enough time to buy most of my supplies as frugally as possible!

Still no news here. But we start orientation in exactly 40 days! I can't believe it's so soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how important it is to get the 7th edition of the dissection guide? I wouldn't mind saving $60 on a book....

Not sure if previous editions are ok, but the cheapest price I found for a new copy of the 7th edition was $63.05 from abebooks.com with coupon code E77ZC6 for anyone else who is shopping around.

I have a question for current students or anyone else who lives in the Madison area: what internet provider do you use, and would you recommend it? My roommate and I are trying to figure out what the most affordable option is that will not make us pull our hair out. :)

Not sure if previous editions are ok, but the cheapest price I found for a new copy of the 7th edition was $63.05 from abebooks.com with coupon code E77ZC6 for anyone else who is shopping around.
hmmm :( I only see it for $70 and sadly the coupon has expired? Where did you find the coupon code?

hmmm :( I only see it for $70 and sadly the coupon has expired? Where did you find the coupon code?
Hmmmm, that is weird. I googled the book and under the Google shopping tab, I found an awesome website that compares prices: http://m.directtextbook.com/prices/9781437702460#. It looks like the coupon code I used yesterday isn't there anymore but there's another one that gets the price down to $66.56.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmmmm, that is weird. I googled the book and under the Google shopping tab, I found an awesome website that compares prices: http://m.directtextbook.com/prices/9781437702460#. It looks like the coupon code I used yesterday isn't there anymore but there's another one that gets the price down to $66.56.

$67.96 and free shipping from the manufacturer, Elsevier!

https://evolve.elsevier.com/cs/product/9781437702460?role=student
You guys are awesome!

I have a question for current students or anyone else who lives in the Madison area: what internet provider do you use, and would you recommend it? My roommate and I are trying to figure out what the most affordable option is that will not make us pull our hair out. :)
I don't live there yet, but reddit.com/r/madisonwi has a bunch of posts discussing the best Internet providers (links in the sidebar). I know a few people there, and they seem to like Charter best, or in some areas, AT&T.

Everyone that I know who has Charter hates it. Their internet can be a little bit in and out from what I've heard. Really the only other option around here is AT&T U-Verse. That's what I have and it's pretty good. I think it's also cheaper than Charter for internet alone.

I don't live there yet, but reddit.com/r/madisonwi has a bunch of posts discussing the best Internet providers (links in the sidebar). I know a few people there, and they seem to like Charter best, or in some areas, AT&T.

Everyone that I know who has Charter hates it. Their internet can be a little bit in and out from what I've heard. Really the only other option around here is AT&T U-Verse. That's what I have and it's pretty good. I think it's also cheaper than Charter for internet alone.

Thank you both for your help! :)

Did anyone apply to the Society for Collegiate Leadership & Advancement ? I keep getting emails about it but I am not sure about joining. Is there any particular reason why it would be beneficial?

Did anyone apply to the Society for Collegiate Leadership & Advancement ? I keep getting emails about it but I am not sure about joining. Is there any particular reason why it would be beneficial?
Personally, I think it's a scam and not worth the $95. When I looked into it more, I found out the organization is less than a year old. How much weight can it really carry when it's brand new? Also, their website states that members must have a 3.0 GPA and at least 12 credit hours. So why are they sending out a blanket invitation to all of us when we haven't even started classes yet? Seems sketchy to me.

Reactions: 2 users
thanks for your input! I had some reservations about it too so that helped me make my decision

Hey, I guess this thread has been dead for a month or so as you're all busy in UW vet school now, but if you get the chance, I'd love to see you guys' stats and such. Especially OOS people. I was born in Madison, but mostly grew up in Florida. I really love madison and the UW campus, so it's one of, if not my top pick for vet school. Thanks!

Hey, I guess this thread has been dead for a month or so as you're all busy in UW vet school now, but if you get the chance, I'd love to see you guys' stats and such. Especially OOS people. I was born in Madison, but mostly grew up in Florida. I really love madison and the UW campus, so it's one of, if not my top pick for vet school. Thanks!
I was OOS. PM me with what stats you're looking for?

Wow, too bad I didn't see this 5 months ago... I'm a second year at UW from Florida. I know it's a little late now, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Wow, too bad I didn't see this 5 months ago... I'm a second year at UW from Florida. I know it's a little late now, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Haha, it's not late at all, i'm on a freshmen in undergrad. I have heaps of time lol. I forgot to check you guy's replies as well so....