Wisconsin c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is my dream school. I'm IS and really hope we find out soon! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Did they give an expected date or anything? This really stinks!
They said they'd mail them out this week so everyone should get them within 2 weeks. And yes, yes it does. The anxiety is killing me.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For current UW students (@fractiousfeline @hpequalslove @UWLEquestrian ) what is the open house like?

I am currently in Michigan so a drive over there would be around 7hrs .... And plane fare is expensive from my smallish airport to Madison. Plus, I'm scheduled to work that weekend, so that's another matter I have to deal with. I had wanted to go but now I'm not so sure. I don't want to miss out on anything though :/

Also, is the open house strictly for accepted students or can you bring a guest along for the activities?

The open house was actually one of the reasons I chose Wisconsin over another school. I'm OOS too and had never been to Wisconsin, so I felt like a visit was really necessary for me to have any idea of what my life would be like if I chose to go here (I'm from across the country- Michigan is a little closer, but still). The schools I had to choose from were so similar in price and other aspects that my decision ultimately came down to the feeling I got when visiting the school and Madison itself. The faculty at Wisconsin were all extremely welcoming and they made us feel like guests of honor or something. You could tell they really wanted us to be here and that they genuinely cared about their students. As far as what we did- there was a presentation with some stats and facts about the school (it was good information to have), a short student-lead tour, tabling for information about clubs, and lots of time to talk with current students to ask them any questions you might have. I talked to a second year for what seemed like the whole afternoon and she answered all my questions about the curriculum, if she felt like she was getting a good education/would be prepared to practice as a vet after graduating, what the other students were like, how she liked living in Madison, etc etc. It was a great experience for me and I know a lot of my classmates (especially OOS) share the same opinion. It just gives you the chance to see if the school is a good fit for you, and that's pretty important if you're going to commit to a place for the next four years. If there is any way for you to go, I'd highly recommend it!

Reactions: 1 users
They said they'd mail them out this week so everyone should get them within 2 weeks. And yes, yes it does. The anxiety is killing me.

Any idea if they meant mail them out 'this week' as in before Saturday? Or within another seven days from now? Haha I hate this game :confused:

Any idea if they meant mail them out 'this week' as in before Saturday? Or within another seven days from now? Haha I hate this game :confused:
She said "this week" so I'm assuming tomorrow or Saturday.

For current UW students (@fractiousfeline @hpequalslove @UWLEquestrian ) what is the open house like?

I am currently in Michigan so a drive over there would be around 7hrs .... And plane fare is expensive from my smallish airport to Madison. Plus, I'm scheduled to work that weekend, so that's another matter I have to deal with. I had wanted to go but now I'm not so sure. I don't want to miss out on anything though :/

Also, is the open house strictly for accepted students or can you bring a guest along for the activities?

I came all the way from CO via plane to the open house and I'm really glad I did. It's what made me choose UW over my other choices by far. I had never been to Wisconsin and ended up going alone to the open house, but many people brought along guests. I would highly recommend going if at all possible - you get to talk with lots of faculty and current students and I think talking to everyone and being in the middle of it is what really turned my mind into going here :).

The open house was actually one of the reasons I chose Wisconsin over another school. I'm OOS too and had never been to Wisconsin, so I felt like a visit was really necessary for me to have any idea of what my life would be like if I chose to go here (I'm from across the country- Michigan is a little closer, but still). The schools I had to choose from were so similar in price and other aspects that my decision ultimately came down to the feeling I got when visiting the school and Madison itself. The faculty at Wisconsin were all extremely welcoming and they made us feel like guests of honor or something. You could tell they really wanted us to be here and that they genuinely cared about their students. As far as what we did- there was a presentation with some stats and facts about the school (it was good information to have), a short student-lead tour, tabling for information about clubs, and lots of time to talk with current students to ask them any questions you might have. I talked to a second year for what seemed like the whole afternoon and she answered all my questions about the curriculum, if she felt like she was getting a good education/would be prepared to practice as a vet after graduating, what the other students were like, how she liked living in Madison, etc etc. It was a great experience for me and I know a lot of my classmates (especially OOS) share the same opinion. It just gives you the chance to see if the school is a good fit for you, and that's pretty important if you're going to commit to a place for the next four years. If there is any way for you to go, I'd highly recommend it!
I really do want to go to the open house but I am already like 95% positive I will choose UW, and I am familiar with the area since my sister lives there and loves it.
I have heard on previous threads that they offered compensation for travel costs, was this true for you @fractiousfeline ? Did they offer it at the open house or in the acceptance packet info? And @UWLEquestrian said 1 guest could come, did many bring guests? I want my boyfriend to come too but I don't want it to be weird for him if guests are not common ha..

I came all the way from CO via plane to the open house and I'm really glad I did. It's what made me choose UW over my other choices by far. I had never been to Wisconsin and ended up going alone to the open house, but many people brought along guests. I would highly recommend going if at all possible - you get to talk with lots of faculty and current students and I think talking to everyone and being in the middle of it is what really turned my mind into going here :).
Awesome! thanks for your input hpequalslove! :) that helped me feel better about my decision. I'll try to go!

I really do want to go to the open house but I am already like 95% positive I will choose UW, and I am familiar with the area since my sister lives there and loves it.
I have heard on previous threads that they offered compensation for travel costs, was this true for you @fractiousfeline ? Did they offer it at the open house or in the acceptance packet info? And @UWLEquestrian said 1 guest could come, did many bring guests? I want my boyfriend to come too but I don't want it to be weird for him if guests are not common ha..

Yep, they paid for my plane ticket and offered me an acceptance scholarship ($5,000). I know a few others who received these offers as well, but as far as I know they were all OOS. I think it's more of a recruiting tactic to get OOS students to come. They called me to offer the scholarship (a second call after the initial acceptance call) and sent an email offering to pay for travel costs, both well before the open house.

The majority of people brought a guest, so your boyfriend would definitely be able to come! I brought my Mom :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much! That is everything I wanted to know :) I appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG. I just got my call. I started crying but managed to compose myself enough to talk. I'm at work (animal hospital) and everyone just started cheering. I can't stop shaking - I've been dreaming about this school and had already accepted that I wasn't in...

Best of luck to all else - they're still apparently making calls! Hope to see you soon at the open house!!!

Reactions: 13 users
OMG. I just got my call. I started crying but managed to compose myself enough to talk. I'm at work (animal hospital) and everyone just started cheering. I can't stop shaking - I've been dreaming about this school and had already accepted that I wasn't in...

Best of luck to all else - they're still apparently making calls! Hope to see you soon at the open house!!!
CONGRATS!!!!! :soexcited: I am so happy for you, you had said how this was your #1 school many times and I was rooting for you

Reactions: 1 user

Yay! Congratulations on achieving your dream! And this gives me hope that they're still making calls!

Way to go guys that got in. I'm so scared I'm not gonna get a phone call. Let's all have our fingers crossed.

Tony

CONGRATS!!!!! :soexcited: I am so happy for you, you had said how this was your #1 school many times and I was rooting for you

Sorry to change topics, but how do you get the animated emoji; knowing how would totally up my text game.

Thanks,
Tony

Thank you all, and congratulations to all of you who have gotten in so far as well! :highfive:

Sorry to change topics, but how do you get the animated emoji; knowing how would totally up my text game.

Thanks,
Tony
Lol, when you enter text, there's the toolbar above right? There's a smiley face button you can press with a whole bunch of options.

What is the policy on getting discounted vet care at Wisconsin, I have a blind giant tortoise that I don't know if should stay at home with my family on the ranch or come to school with me. It does so much better with me but I think the ranch may be a better place for it. Suggestions?

Tony

^ What she said. :) I am also from out of state, and my interactions with people at the open house were a major factor in my decision to come here.

This wait is pure torture...:(

Reactions: 4 users
This wait is pure torture...:(
I keep looking at my phone willing it to ring. Then it did last night, and I got so excited... until I saw it was my dad. I tried not to sound too disappointed when I picked up :(

Reactions: 2 users
I keep looking at my phone willing it to ring. Then it did last night, and I got so excited... until I saw it was my dad. I tried not to sound too disappointed when I picked up :(

I don't know if that's better or worse than acting like a rabid dog when the mail lady shows up...
GIMME THAT MAIL!! GIMME IT NOW!!! (I'm IS and live just a few minutes from UW...)

Edited to add:
Nope, nothing in the mail today. (2/20)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I don't know if that's better or worse than acting like a rabid dog when the mail lady shows up...
GIMME THAT MAIL!! GIMME IT NOW!!! (I'm IS and live just a few minutes from UW...)
I live in a condo in downtown Chicago and I have no shame in camping out in the mailroom with a book waiting for our mail carrier!

I am IS and mail doesn't come until like 5 or 6pm CST... so even when letters do start coming in I will be one of the last to know! Anticipation is killing me! And looking at past years threads it seems like some OOS people got their letters before IS.. that makes it seem like they don't send them all on the same day?.. I think I'm just geeking myself out.. lol.

Last year the first instate applicants got mail on a Saturday, so here's to hoping that tomorrow is the day!

Reactions: 3 users
The Open House this year is March 6th. So, pretty soon. When they told me that over the phone i'm just like "Uhhh, I'm in Alaska. That's like, a $1,600 plane ticket to purchase right now."

So, I hope to go and check it out over my spring break! Which starts March 16th. I was accepted to two schools, so I'm planning on checking them both out before making my final decision. I have no idea what Wisconsin is like compared with Alaska, so it'll be an adventure.

If Madison is anything like Chicago (it should be, it's only ~100 miles north or so), then Madison is colder than Alaska right now, lol! At least Chicago was (by 31 degrees!) yesterday. o_O

If Madison is anything like Chicago (it should be, it's only ~100 miles north or so), then Madison is colder than Alaska right now, lol! At least Chicago was (by 31 degrees!) yesterday. o_O

Alaska is so vast, that it's hard to actually describe it. For example, my hometown right now is 36 degrees, but it's 17 degrees where i'm going to school at. Just 2 weeks ago, it was -35 degrees here, but still 40 degrees at home.

I'm assuming Wisconsin is more like my home. Mildly cold, and lots of rain. We'll see I guess!

Haha silly me, I didn't even consider how huge and varied Alaska is. Generalization fail. Anchorage is where I was making my comparison specifically. I find Alaska incredible, I'd really like to go someday!

No idea on the rain in Madison though, but I was told the other day to be prepared for lots of snow.

Hopefully tomorrow is the day for those big packages to start arriving! :)

Reactions: 9 users
Alaska is so vast, that it's hard to actually describe it. For example, my hometown right now is 36 degrees, but it's 17 degrees where i'm going to school at. Just 2 weeks ago, it was -35 degrees here, but still 40 degrees at home.

I'm assuming Wisconsin is more like my home. Mildly cold, and lots of rain. We'll see I guess!

My husband is Alaskan (Kenai peninsula), so if you want a comparison let me know. Although, the past two years have been atypical-- it was unusually cold in Madison last winter, and it has been unusually warm in AK lately (right now my in-laws' yard has big puddles and green grass growing!).

Also there hasn't been as much snow in Madison as I was expecting. Most of the time it just flurries with no accumulation, and other than that we've had a handful of 1-2 inch falls and a couple of 4-6-inch falls. It looks deeper than it is though because it's plowed and none of it has melted. Honestly the most annoying part for me is that they plow all the time, even when the snow isn't sticking to the ground, which gets pretty disruptive at night since the plows are so loud. In terms of temperature we had two very cold days in November, otherwise it was in the 30s-40s until after New Year. Since then it has varied... days of 20s-30s, then days of 0-teens.

So, I hope to go and check it out over my spring break! Which starts March 16th.

I'd encourage you to visit over not visiting at all, but keep in mind that that week is our spring break too, so there won't be that many students around for you to talk to.

I'd encourage you to visit over not visiting at all, but keep in mind that that week is our spring break too, so there won't be that many students around for you to talk to.

Turns out, I made it work. I'll be visiting for the March 6th showcase. I'll also be staying the 7th to check out Madison, but back to Alaska after!

Anyone get any mail? (she said hopefully) Mine doesn't come til 5pm. Hoping today is the day though! :)

So, I'm a wife of a Wisconsin applicant that has been lurking and because you have all shared your experience, I thought it was only fair to sign up and let you all know, my husband received his acceptance letter today!! We are in the Milwaukee area.

So I hope this helps!
Omg Omg Omg! :) congrats to him!!! I'm hoping I get mine tonight too then! I live on the west side of Wisconsin so fingers crossed! :)

I just got an email saying that Wisconsin would pay up to $500 for my traveling expenses to the open house! Wisconsin here I come!!!

Im OOS in Indiana and got my rejection letter in the mail, but its fine im accepted elsewhere! Goodluck everyone!

I'm IS, living in St. Paul, MN, and I just got my acceptance in the mail today!!!!! I would assume that if I got my letter all the way in MN, most IS students should be receiving theirs today (or soon!) too. I'm excited to see who else will be coming to Madison with me!

Also, for those wondering about how tuition (both IS and OOS) will be affected in light of the recent budget cuts to the UW system, there is a packet on proposed tuition increases in the acceptance material. It is not pretty, especially for OOS students. The proposed budget has IS tuition going up ~$8k over the next four years and OOS tuiton going up $20k total (so, an increase of $5k per year over the next four years, to a value of $45,906 for the 2018-2019 school year). :(

Also, for those wondering about how tuition (both IS and OOS) will be affected in light of the recent budget cuts to the UW system, there is a packet on proposed tuition increases in the acceptance material. It is not pretty, especially for OOS students. The proposed budget has IS tuition going up ~$8k over the next four years and OOS tuiton going up $20k total (so, an increase of $5k per year over the next four years, to a value of $45,906 for the 2018-2019 school year). :(
Thanks so much for sharing! I don't feel so bad about not getting accepted if this happens, since WI's tuition was such a selling point for me.

I'm alternate #42. I'm crushed
I've been put on 3 waitlists so far so I know how horrible this is. Almost worse than a rejection since at least with a rejection you know it's over and you get some closure. I'm anticipating a waitlist or rejection from UW so I'm sure I'll understand even more in a few days. Good luck with your other schools!

Does anyone know if it's one huge alternate list or if it's one for OOS and one for IS? 42 isn't a horrible spot to be in since it's moved into the 50s in the past, and I'm sure it'll move more than usual this year since the OOS tuition is why most people outside WI apply to UW for.

Denied and absolutely shocked. Good luck to those still waiting to hear!

I'm alternate #42. I'm crushed
Don't be! I was number 85 and got called, so while there isn't an absolute certainty that you will be called, there's still a good chance!