Wisconsin c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't be! I was number 85 and got called, so while there isn't an absolute certainty that you will be called, there's still a good chance!
And that's what makes it even worse. My husband is an attorney, so we need to make a decision about his career in the coming weeks, i.e. which bar exam he will sit for this summer if we leave Illinois. The fact that I'm likely to be offered admission later this summer when it's too late to accept makes it even worse.

In state wait list is 25 spots long if I remember correctly and it doesn't move that much. OOS is over 80 long. I have a friend who got off the waitlist the week before school started and she was in the 70s

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there other people who still haven't heard? I'm in Boston so maybe the snow has things backed up

And that's what makes it even worse. My husband is an attorney, so we need to make a decision about his career in the coming weeks, i.e. which bar exam he will sit for this summer if we leave Illinois. The fact that I'm likely to be offered admission later this summer when it's too late to accept makes it even worse.
Why don't you call someone in admissions and tell them about your situation. They might be able to give you a better understanding of the chances of being pulled off the list. Maybe you can call tomorrow and then in two weeks (or whenever your husband has to take the exam) to see how much it's moving. If this is your dream school, I would have your husband take the WI exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there other people who still haven't heard? I'm in Boston so maybe the snow has things backed up

Yeah I haven't, and I'm in upstate NY. I'm guessing we'll get it tomorrow or the next day. The wait is so long!

I'm in Florida so it won't get here for a while. Hoping it gets here this week though.

Reactions: 2 users
IS and got a big brown envelope in the mail today!!!!!!!! I am beyond thrilled and can't wait to start! I really wish we all had good news though since it has taken a ton of hard work to get to this point. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear something and congrats to all!

Reactions: 3 users
Seeing this thread makes me think back to how excited I was when I got into UW. It was my top choice and I still love it here. I'm OOS and got the phone call on February 11th (my mom's birthday) last year. Hold on to the excitement of getting in! Vet school is definitely as much work as people say it is

Why don't you call someone in admissions and tell them about your situation. They might be able to give you a better understanding of the chances of being pulled off the list. Maybe you can call tomorrow and then in two weeks (or whenever your husband has to take the exam) to see how much it's moving. If this is your dream school, I would have your husband take the WI exam.
Thanks! I think I will speak to someone in admissions about the situation. The bar exam isn't until the last week of July, so all he's doing in the coming weeks is registering. It's just too bad that the Massachusetts, Wisconsin and Missouri bar exams all fall on the same days, so that kind of forces the choice between schools. But I guess I shouldn't complain about having options. I really hope you hear good news soon! :)

Thanks! I think I will speak to someone in admissions about the situation. The bar exam isn't until the last week of July, so all he's doing in the coming weeks is registering. It's just too bad that the Massachusetts, Wisconsin and Missouri bar exams all fall on the same days, so that kind of forces the choice between schools. But I guess I shouldn't complain about having options. I really hope you hear good news soon! :)
How expensive is the registration? Could he register for more than one and then take the one that you end up getting into later in the summer?

Aw that stinks GoldenGirl. :( Were you leaning towards a specific school then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well rejected. IS. I'm crushed.. :(

I'm in southern Ohio and I haven't heard yet either. Congrats to everyone with an acceptance or a waitlist spot already!

Also, for those wondering about how tuition (both IS and OOS) will be affected in light of the recent budget cuts to the UW system, there is a packet on proposed tuition increases in the acceptance material. It is not pretty, especially for OOS students. The proposed budget has IS tuition going up ~$8k over the next four years and OOS tuiton going up $20k total (so, an increase of $5k per year over the next four years, to a value of $45,906 for the 2018-2019 school year). :(
This is terrible and crushed my hopes of graduating from UW with less debt than my IS school. Does tuition get "locked in" or will it just continue to increase each year if I decide to go to UW? :(

Accepted IS!!!! I am so beyond happy. Second round of applications is the charm! This just made the last 6 years of stress worth it!

Also, for those wondering about how tuition (both IS and OOS) will be affected in light of the recent budget cuts to the UW system, there is a packet on proposed tuition increases in the acceptance material. It is not pretty, especially for OOS students. The proposed budget has IS tuition going up ~$8k over the next four years and OOS tuiton going up $20k total (so, an increase of $5k per year over the next four years, to a value of $45,906 for the 2018-2019 school year). :(

Well, I feel like my excitement about getting into my dream school just got majorly deflated. I haven't gotten my letter yet (accepted by phone call), so I appreciate you posting this. I am pretty crushed though - I was not expecting the increase to be so drastic. That's an 80% increase over the next four years.

This means I will take $30k more in loans if I choose UW over my IS school. The way I've been thinking about my IS versus UW is this: if I go to my IS, I think I'll always be thinking back to UW (but who knows!). What do you all think? Is the extra $30k worth it? Part of me thinks so, just because of how badly I want to go to UW, but I'd love to hear from others.

This is terrible and crushed my hopes of graduating from UW with less debt than my IS school. Does tuition get "locked in" or will it just continue to increase each year if I decide to go to UW? :(

Judging by your "UW or UIUIC c/o 2019?" subtitle, we're in the same boat. :( <-- My face right now.

Well, I feel like my excitement about getting into my dream school just got majorly deflated. I haven't gotten my letter yet (accepted by phone call), so I appreciate you posting this. I am pretty crushed though - I was not expecting the increase to be so drastic. That's an 80% increase over the next four years.

This means I will take $30k more in loans if I choose UW over my IS school. The way I've been thinking about my IS versus UW is this: if I go to my IS, I think I'll always be thinking back to UW (but who knows!). What do you all think? Is the extra $30k worth it? Part of me thinks so, just because of how badly I want to go to UW, but I'd love to hear from others.
Really? There are some out there happy to shell out the money if we got off the wait list or got an offer. Come on folks...paying more money is no fun but really...

Didn't mean to be insensitive or anything, but, with interest, the money is nothing to sneeze at. :shrug:

Reactions: 6 users
Really? There are some out there happy to shell out the money if we got off the wait list or got an offer. Come on folks...paying more money is no fun but really...
Everyone has different circumstances. Previous debt already accrued, more affordable offers on the table etc. So there's that you have to take into account and you don't know everyone's situation.

Didn't mean to be insensitive or anything, but, with interest, the money is nothing to sneeze at. :shrug:
I am sure you weren't but for those sitting on the fence or having a rejection it is a little hard to listen to the complaints. Vet school is expensive. The first year pay is low. We know that. But we pursue it anyway. Just remember not everyone has an acceptance and would gladly trade places with you. Not sure anyone holding an offer would feel the same way though...

Actually, they are being really smart to recognize the tuition is increasing and to consider that. You are the one being unreasonable.

Reactions: 16 users
Actually, they are being really smart to recognize the tuition is increasing and to consider that. You are the one being unreasonable.
I'm glad someone said it.

Reactions: 4 users
How expensive is the registration? Could he register for more than one and then take the one that you end up getting into later in the summer?
It varies by state, but most of them are around $800-1,000. The price also goes way up the longer you wait to register. But in the grand scheme of things that's not that much compared to the money we'll be shelling out for a DVM. And double registering is definitely possible, so that's what we might do with our top choice plus Wisconsin, and just hope I hear from Wisconsin before July 28. So complicated!

Thank you, DVMDream and Felixor. I just figure I REALLY worked my ass off during undergrad and now get in only to be so blindsided by this utterly massive hike. I'm being practical, and I'm really quite frustrated and upset right now.

I truly am sorry that you did not get accepted or are waitlisted, mcmom. Maybe I should have waited to ask my question, but since someone brought the topic up, I figured I'd ask.

It varies by state, but most of them are around $800-1,000. The price also goes way up the longer you wait to register. But in the grand scheme of things that's not that much compared to the money we'll be shelling out for a DVM. And double registering is definitely possible, so that's what we might do with our top choice plus Wisconsin, and just hope I hear from Wisconsin before July 28. So complicated!

That's intense, GoldenGirl. I don't envy your complicated situation! Fingers crossed for you, and I hope it all works out in your favor. :)

Reactions: 1 users
That's intense, GoldenGirl. I don't envy your complicated situation! Fingers crossed for you, and I hope it all works out in your favor. :)
Thank you! I don't mean it to come off like "oh poor me" because I know having choices is a good thing. I'm just super anxious about the uncertainty of it all. It's also such a bummer to hear about the tuition hike. I'm sorry for all the people that are struggling with that choice!

Thank you, DVMDream and Felixor. I just figure I REALLY worked my ass off during undergrad and now get in only to be so blindsided by this utterly massive hike. I'm being practical, and I'm really quite frustrated and upset right now.

I truly am sorry that you did not get accepted or are waitlisted, mcmom. Maybe I should have waited to ask my question, but since someone brought the topic up, I figured I'd ask.

It sucks, but really sit down and calculate out the exact tuition cost for each. UW does allow OOS to gain IS rather easily, right? So, calculate 1 year of OOS and 3 of IS (don't forget that 4th year summer term). I'd also calculate OOS for all 4 years, just in case. Then look at your IS as well.

Don't forget to consider cost of living as well in each area...

Then decide from there. No matter what, you will get a DVM and I promise when you are covered in formaldehyde in 6ish months, it really isn't going to make a difference where you are at... ;)

Thank you! I don't mean it to come off like "oh poor me" because I know having choices is a good thing. I'm just super anxious about the uncertainty of it all. It's also such a bummer to hear about the tuition hike. I'm sorry for all the people that are struggling with that choice!

Oh no you didn't! Sometimes having too many choices makes it harder, especially with your situation. Good thing to keep in mind is, we will all somehow figure it out, no matter where we are in the process. :)

It sucks, but really sit down and calculate out the exact tuition cost for each. UW does allow OOS to gain IS rather easily, right? So, calculate 1 year of OOS and 3 of IS (don't forget that 4th year summer term). I'd also calculate OOS for all 4 years, just in case. Then look at your IS as well.

Don't forget to consider cost of living as well in each area...

Then decide from there. No matter what, you will get a DVM and I promise when you are covered in formaldehyde in 6ish months, it really isn't going to make a difference where you are at... ;)

Really appreciate it! It does make me feel a bit better. I just don't know how much $30k will turn into after interest, but that's something I should go find out!

On a slightly brighter side, a $20k increase per year will surely make the OOS waitlist move a lot faster than previous years. :laugh:

On a slightly brighter side, a $20k increase per year will surely make the OOS waitlist move a lot faster than previous years. :laugh:

The way I understood what the person above posted is that it will go up $20k total in 4 years... or only $5K per year...

Not $20K per year... the school isn't that insane...

I'm IIIIIINNNNNNNN!!!!!! Yaaassss!!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
The way I understood what the person above posted is that it will go up $20k total in 4 years... or only $5K per year...

Not $20K per year... the school isn't that insane...
Shhhh I'm trying to get people off the waitlist. ;)

Seriously though, I thought it was 20k per year. A $20k increase total still puts UW way below what other schools charge for OOS tuition. Sure it's not ideal for there to be that big of an increase but when you compare it to schools like KSU and MSU's OOS tuition, it's still a pretty good deal.

Shhhh I'm trying to get people off the waitlist. ;)

Seriously though, I thought it was 20k per year. A $20k increase total still puts UW way below what other schools charge for OOS tuition. Sure it's not ideal for there to be that big of an increase but when you compare it to schools like KSU and MSU's OOS tuition, it's still a pretty good deal.
Very true

Gonna be a long wait from out here in Southern California! :wideyed:

So does anyone know exactly how long the wait list is? I got an email and I'm an alternate but I'm number 214..at this point I'm accepting that it's a rejection. I'm just trying to see the logic of having an alternate list that is THAT long. Anyone else think that's crazy excessive?

So does anyone know exactly how long the wait list is? I got an email and I'm an alternate but I'm number 214..at this point I'm accepting that it's a rejection. I'm just trying to see the logic of having an alternate list that is THAT long. Anyone else think that's crazy excessive?
Wait what?!? Why did you get an email? And what the . . . 214?!?

Edit: They might have an extra long waitlist since they anticipate many OOSers turning doing their offers when they see the increase in tuition. Most schools have a waitlist of 85-125 for OOS.

Wait what?!? Why did you get an email? And what the . . . 214?!?

Sorry not email, the letter lol and yes 214?!?! I'm still kind of in shock about that number. It's just completely unrealistic so why? I feel like it's the very last spot and they are just saying, "well maybe but not really"

Sorry not email, the letter lol and yes 214?!?! I'm still kind of in shock about that number. It's just completely unrealistic so why? I feel like it's the very last spot and they are just saying, "well maybe but not really"
I added this in after you replied (in case you hadn't seen it):

They might have an extra long waitlist since they anticipate many OOSers turning doing their offers when they see the increase in tuition. Most schools have a waitlist of 85-125 for OOS.

I added this in after you replied.

They might have an extra long waitlist since they anticipate many OOSers turning doing their offers when they see the increase in tuition. Most schools have a waitlist of 85-125 for OOS.
Yea but over 200 is just nuts. There's literally no reason to have that many people on an alternate list..like none, especially not for only 20 spots. It makes no sense. I was kind of thinking about calling them tomorrow just to see how many people are actually on the list.

Yea but over 200 is just nuts. There's literally no reason to have that many people on an alternate list..like none, especially not for only 20 spots. It makes no sense. I was kind of thinking about calling them tomorrow just to see how many people are actually on the list.
Yeah I agree that it's overkill to have more than 150, but hey even though it's a very small chance of getting in, it's still better than zero chance of getting in. :/ Have you gotten in anywhere else?

Yeah I agree that it's overkill to have more than 150, but hey even though it's a very small chance of getting in, it's still better than zero chance of getting in. :/ Have you gotten in anywhere else?
Of course not lol. I'm waitlisted at LSU, rejected at Auburn and haven't heard from MSU yet. I'm kind of thinking it's back up plan time...again.

I'd almost rather have the no at #214..it just seems cruel to even say, "Oh we liked you enough to say maybe but no where near enough to give you any kind of shot at all of actually getting in to our school"

Of course not lol. I'm waitlisted at LSU, rejected at Auburn and haven't heard from MSU yet. I'm kind of thinking it's back up plan time...again.

I'd almost rather have the no at #214..it just seems cruel to even say, "Oh we liked you enough to say maybe but no where near enough to give you any kind of shot at all of actually getting in to our school"
Well we should be hearing from MSU within the next few weeks. I hope you get better news from them.

I'll have to put in my 2 cents about the tuition increase, particularly for an OOS student.
So, as I've pointed out, i'm from Alaska. Prior to next fall, Alaska had no veterinary school, no reserved spots in another school, and no tuition subsidy program for being OOS. That being said, when I decided to apply for veterinary school many years ago, I knew it was going to be hard to ONLY be an OOS no matter where I applied, and the crazy tuition that comes with it.

Luckily, CSU made a combined program with UAF, which makes a class of 10 students who study in Alaska for two years, and then finish at CSU for two years. I got accepted there for the inaugural class, and OOS for Wisconsin. The problem is, I pay IS CSU tuition for two years (~$29,000 per year), then OOS CSU tuition for two years (~$56,000 per year), making a grand total of ~$170,000 in tuition alone! This is the best choice for me though, compared to any other school, other than Wisconsin. So when I got accepted to Wisconsin I was pretty excited. The OOS tuition for Wisconsin is ~$103,624 over four years. Pretty significant difference! But then I get this news of a tuition increase, and an EXTREMELY dramatic one for OOS students in fact, I became unsure.

I'm not sure how they plan to do the OOS tuition increases: if it's an incremental process, gradual, etc. I know they will be talking about it at the Open House, and I do plan to ask questions. It's a big hit to OOS students, especially one like myself which doesn't have a whole lot of options or places to apply to. I apologize for people who didn't get in, and I totally hope it works out for you all in the end. I'm not trying to be demeaning or anything by explaining my situation, but i'm just trying to explain how big of a deal it is for OOS students, especially one like myself who can only see debt that is almost impossible to climb out of. I would probably have a better chance to take the CSU offer, or move somewhere and claim residency before applying (but I got accepted, why would I do that?). This financial situation is stressful, and I think that's what it's all about of OOS students.

Edit: Actually, I found the numbers for the OOS tuition increases. Over the next four years, the sum of the project tuition is $153,624.

-__-

Last edited: