Wisconsin c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could IS applicants that got accepted post their stats? If you wouldn't mind. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I agree that it's overkill to have more than 150, but hey even though it's a very small chance of getting in, it's still better than zero chance of getting in. :/ Have you gotten in anywhere else?

I presume it's not overkill, because I can't think of any reason for the school to do that to themselves unnecessarily. Think of it from their end - they have to update all those people, process all that stuff, etc. They aren't going to do it if they don't think it's necessary.

Edit: Actually, I found the numbers for the OOS tuition increases. Over the next four years, the sum of the project tuition is $153,624.

-__-
-__- indeed

Members don't see this ad :)
I presume it's not overkill, because I can't think of any reason for the school to do that to themselves unnecessarily. Think of it from their end - they have to update all those people, process all that stuff, etc. They aren't going to do it if they don't think it's necessary.
That's a very good point and I hope the waiting list moves. I also hope I'm on it. :/

I'm IS, and I just got home from my biochem test and saw a big brown envelope!!! I'm so excited!! And surprised because I currently live in Ithaca, NY and didn't expect the mail to make it here today. Hopefully the rest of you living out of state hear back tomorrow! Best of luck and I can't wait to meet my future classmates :)

Reactions: 3 users
It sucks, but really sit down and calculate out the exact tuition cost for each. UW does allow OOS to gain IS rather easily, right? So, calculate 1 year of OOS and 3 of IS (don't forget that 4th year summer term). I'd also calculate OOS for all 4 years, just in case. Then look at your IS as well.

OOS students can't gain IS residency at UW. If you're OOS it's for all 4 years.

@fractiousfeline, do you know about students who move to Wisconsin with their spouses who work there?

As far as I know they can't either. There are several married OOS students with working spouses in my year and none of them have mentioned being able to switch to IS (and believe me, they would have by now if it were possible since tuition has been such a hot topic here lately).

As far as I know they can't either. There are several married OOS students with working spouses in my year and none of them have mentioned being able to switch to IS (and believe me, they would have by now if it were possible since tuition has been such a hot topic here lately).

When I was there, it was possible (but not easy) to switch from OOS to IS if you had a working spouse (note: a grad student spouse doesn't count) after your spouse had worked for 1 year in Wisconsin. It isn't well advertised and it isn't a guarantee, but it is worth a try if you are in that situation.

Also, congrats to everyone who is accepted!!! I still haven't run out of good things to say about my years at UW! Though I agree that the tuition hike is a bummer...

Could IS applicants that got accepted post their stats? If you wouldn't mind. :)
Hi Calmae! I've posted my stats up in the Successful Applicants thread. I hope it helps! Don't get down on yourself...there are so many factors that go into the decisions that it's hard to say who or what they are looking for. Best of luck!

Any ideas on where students should live if they have cats? Any places to avoid? All ideas are welcome... also has anyone made a Facebook group yet?

Any ideas on where students should live if they have cats? Any places to avoid? All ideas are welcome... also has anyone made a Facebook group yet?
I currently live right behind the vet school (I work in a lab on campus) on University Ave. and really like the location as well as the company from which I rent. They are called Ripple and they have pet-friendly policies so check them out. http://www.ripplerents.com/

If there are certain locations you're curious about let me know and I can give you more info. It really helps to live closer to campus if you can or at least on a bus line that runs frequently to/from campus.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I currently live right behind the vet school (I work in a lab on campus) on University Ave. and really like the location as well as the company from which I rent. They are called Ripple and they have pet-friendly policies so check them out. http://www.ripplerents.com/

If there are certain locations you're curious about let me know and I can give you more info. It really helps to live closer to campus if you can or at least on a bus line that runs frequently to/from campus.
Thanks! We will definitely check them out!

Hi Calmae! I've posted my stats up in the Successful Applicants thread. I hope it helps! Don't get down on yourself...there are so many factors that go into the decisions that it's hard to say who or what they are looking for. Best of luck!
Thanks. It's hard not to be sad when you've spent so many years working towards that goal. After looking at your stats I assume my problem was my GRE score or lack of research. I have a 3.96 GPA and a decent amount of experience. It just kind of came as a shock to me. I think I'm accepting it now. :) congrats to you though! I hope you enjoy it! :)

My small, white envelope came today. :( Alternate list #17. The letter says they usually accept 25-85 from the alternate list. So maybe there's hope?

The mailman was 3 hours early today and brought me a rejection :( Congrats to everyone accepted and on the waitlist!

My small, white envelope came today. :( Alternate list #17. The letter says they usually accept 25-85 from the alternate list. So maybe there's hope?
That's basically the same thing as an acceptance - you just have to wait a bit longer. Congrats!!

Last edited:
That's basically the same thing as an acceptance - you just have to wait a bit longer. Congrats!!
Thanks, I'm just paranoid that this year they will only get to #16. :eek:

Hey everyone!
I wanted to say congrats to everyone who has gotten in, also those who have made the waitlist as well! I've been looking at this thread a bit and hope to say soon that I got in.
I am currently awaiting my mail today with hopefully a big brown envelope! Fingers crossed! :rolleyes:
For those curious I am a 24- female- resident of Wisconsin- I applied to Wisconsin and Midwestern. My gpa overall is a 3.4. I have over 5,000 hours of paid employment as a surgical assistant, vet assistant and ER technician at four different animal hospitals since the age of 17. I was the president of my vet club in college, attended a pre vet symposium, Madison's exotic vet conference and have interned at an aquarium (250hrs). I also have about 50 hours working with horses. No research experience (although had offers but turned down because I needed to work) I'm hoping this doesn't hurt me!
We shall see what happens!! :bear:

Nothing in Florida, either. One day more!

LesMis+-+OneDayMore.jpg

Thanks. It's hard not to be sad when you've spent so many years working towards that goal. After looking at your stats I assume my problem was my GRE score or lack of research. I have a 3.96 GPA and a decent amount of experience. It just kind of came as a shock to me. I think I'm accepting it now. :) congrats to you though! I hope you enjoy it! :)
I totally understand. I really hope you apply again and not let this deter you from pursuing your passion though. And thank you!

Small white envelope came today in the mail :( Rejection OOS from NJ.
Congrats to everyone

Just stalked the mail man.. still no letter for me in Chicago :cryi: ! Never ending torture..:beat:

I totally understand. I really hope you apply again and not let this deter you from pursuing your passion though. And thank you!
I think I may just accept my offer at Minnesota. I'd hate to pass it up and then get turned away again next year by Wisconsin! But thank you for the kind words! :)

OOS #3!!!! I'm so glad they rank their wait list. Hopefully this is good news!

Reactions: 9 users
I think I may just accept my offer at Minnesota. I'd hate to pass it up and then get turned away again next year by Wisconsin! But thank you for the kind words! :)
That's Fantastic!!! Congratulations! I'm really surprised you didn't get in at WI...you seem to be a strong applicant! I wish you the best of luck at MN if that's where you decide to go :)

That's Fantastic!!! Congratulations! I'm really surprised you didn't get in at WI...you seem to be a strong applicant! I wish you the best of luck at MN if that's where you decide to go :)
Thanks! :) I'm not really sure what happened either but it's all going to be okay. :) that's what I keep telling myself anyway. :p

WA so you should hear soon!

Alright, time to bust out the tent, ice cooler and sleeping bag...gonna camp the mailbox. All my camping in FPS games may finally pay off.

Reactions: 5 users
Alright, time to bust out the tent, ice cooler and sleeping bag...gonna camp the mailbox. All my camping in FPS games may finally pay off.
Lol you're "one of those" huh? ;)

OOS still haven't gotten anything in Texas either.

So just heard that I am number 4 on the IS alternate list at UW. They said that they only let 2 IS in from the waitlist last year. Anybody have any idea about how many they let in in previous years? Just trying to see if there is a chance for me lol.

Got my waitlisted letter today (#184) in norcal. Good thing I already accepted admissions elsewhere :p
Good luck and hopefully good news for people who haven't heard back yet!

I posted mine up in that thread as well. Beware, I was a very nontraditional applicant, so my stats may or may not be all that helpful, depending on your situation!

Also, I'd like to let everybody who's moving to Madison from out-of-town know that I, too, am a transplant--but I've been here for...holy cow, I think 4.5 years now? So I'd be happy to give any advice I can. Where to live, how to find an apartment, how to adjust to the weather, etc. I'm not from here, and I originally moved here to be a student (just of a different kind), so I've already been through all this once. Happy to share advice/experiences.

And if anybody needs somewhere to stay during the open house, let me know. We've got a guest room, and I understand that the expense involved in just getting here is very stressful for some of y'all--much less a hotel! I'd be happy to host somebody for a night or two, as long as you're not allergic to cats or dogs or horsehair or reptiles...
....hahaha, glad I'm going to vet school!!!

Thanks! We will definitely check them out!
Some more general advice on living in Madison: try to avoid housing right by Camp Randall (unless you LOVE football games and crowds) and on/right next to State Street. When I first moved here, I was subletting an apartment for a month above the shops on State Street and I rarely had a full night of sleep (there are a lot of frats, sororities, and undergrad housing in that area).

Hey all! Where is the best place to live in order to avoid all of the aforementioned? I am looking ideally for a quiet residence which allows pets and is ultimately relatively cost effective. Also, how is public transit in Madison? I wouldn't be opposed to living further from campus if it means a quieter neighborhood and the ability to stretch a dollar rent wise...as long as public transit is in place to get me to and from campus. Thanks for the input!

I currently live in Fitchburg, which is the next town over from Madison to the southwest(ish). Much cheaper than Madison (We have a 2 bedroom, 1200 sq feet for $840 a month) and much quieter than downtown. The bus system is great for downtown and most surrounding areas. We do have a bus that comes by every half an hour, it unfortunately just takes about 40 minutes to get into downtown (a 10-15 min drive otherwise). Downtown is trickier to find pet friendly apartments in my experience. The south of Madison is cheaper and you can find pet friendly apartments, but the neighborhoods are kind of sketchy.

I personally think the buses are GREAT! Not many run right up to the door of UW SVM, but lots of them run close. Check out www.cityofmadison.com/metro to find maps of various routes. When you're looking at areas to move, plug in addresses to Google Maps to find typical transit times for various times of day. It's really accurate. And don't forget to check out how often the buses come at different times of day. Some buses only operate during "rush hour" for example, which isn't as useful for the student lifestyle.

I did what you're mentioning, Golden, and moved a little further off campus than most to stretch the $$ and was always very happy I did so. I was shocked to find out how "small" this town is, as far as how closely people center themselves around campus. Living 3-4 miles from campus is considered, like, living off the edge of the planet. It's kind of bizarre to me. I think most of my fellow grad students in first year lived <2 miles from work at first (and now they've all moved out toward me to save money, haha.) The 14, 15, 10, and 2 are all awesome west side buslines, off the top of my head.

You will all have a heck of a time finding pet-friendly places, sorry to say it. Madison renting is very not pet friendly, and it's especially dog-UNfriendly, for some reason (ugh). Finding places that will take cats is hard enough, but if you have a dog, well...good luck. Build in some extra time for your search. Also, don't be afraid to be forceful with potential landlords about declawing (many will write in ads "declawed cats only," but most of them will back down on that policy if you throw the book at them about it).

-I do recommend the west side of town for students, as opposed to living downtown/east side. For one thing, SVM is on the west side of campus, so it'll be quicker to get there if you're already on the west side. But also, west side is just way quieter than east side. The east side is much more hip/fun, as in: there's more stuff to do/more walkable areas with bars/coffeeshops/etc, and you don't necessarily need a car to live on the east side (it's better to have a car if you're on the W side, though not totally necessary). So there's great things to say about the east side. It has character. But east side rentals are really unpredictable (usually old houses, typically just owned by somebody and split up into apt units), and often in noisy areas. The west side is muuuuuuuuuuch quieter, and tends to be cheaper for the quality of what you get. It all just depends on what you're looking for.

All that said, I have lots of grad student friends who are downtown/east side, and love it. The general rule of thumb is, if you're gonna do that, you need to avoid "undergrad hell." That means avoiding campus/state street/ camp Randall altogether, and going at least 6 blocks EAST of the capitol, typically. (The undergrads start to thin out around Blair St., if you're looking at a map. I have a lot of friends who lived around Paterson St. and liked it.)

-south-west-ish (Vilas neighborhood) is lovely but tends to be expensive

-just straight-up south (like down Park St. or Fish Hatchery Rd.) is OK until you get to a certain point, then it can get shady

....and I'd say that more than 70% of the grad students I know who started on the east side, have moved to the west side.

I don't know where all the vet students live, honestly. I just know lots of grad students, and I'm working on the assumption that they're fairly similar!

Biggest rule of thumb is simply to stick to areas on bus routes. If you can even get a parking permit, they run ~$900 I think!

Another rule of thumb is...if a rental seems too cheap, like too good to be true, it probably is.

There's my (giant) two cents. I'm avoiding studying, can any of you tell??

Reactions: 2 users
Medicalbun...840 for a 2br?!! daaaaaamn Fitchburg, nice!!! I lived in Verona for a bit and still paid ~1200 for a 2br townhousey thing! but they DID allow dogs...

If you can handle the commute, I guess there's definitely some sweet deals to be had in the 'burbs! (Fitchburg to the south, Verona to the SW, and Middleton to the W)

high five for similar advice on the sketchy areas... basically, just stay clear of anything too close to the beltline.

^^ Yep, I am one of them. Rumor has it that you need documentation that your spouse accepted a job here before you decided to come to school here, but I personally haven't checked yet. I have asked several 2nd and 3rd years about this and no one is aware of anyone who has managed to switch their residency to IS.

Last edited:
The biggest advice I can give you all about housing is to look really closely at the bus lines. It is pretty hard to get a parking pass (you have to fill out an application explaining extenuating circumstances OR live more than 1 mile from the nearest bus stop. After that the cheapest parking passes are around $900). Housing is cheaper on the West side of Madison, but also be aware that anything from the vet school side of campus westward is considered "west." (So, like, half of Madison). Places that advertise as "west side" but are actually close to school will still be pretty expensive. Where I live you have to transfer buses to get to school and it takes 40 minutes to an hour. Also, "sketchy" in Madison is a relative term... I moved here from a city with 1+ million people, and by comparison I have seen very very few places here that I wouldn't feel safe walking around at night in.

Most vet students live on the west side of Madison and walk, bike, or bus to school, but I live on the east side and love it! I'm east of downtown and the Capitol near Johnson and Fordem Ave in a 2BR/1.5BA two story townhouse with a basement. They allow cats (no dogs) and rent is $925. Water is included in that, but gas/electric and internet/cable are separate, so the two of us end up paying ~$560 each for everything. A lot of people seem to think you live insanely far away if you're not within walking distance of the vet school, but for me it's only a 25 minute bus ride (bus stops right in front of my apartment and directly across from the vet school) and that's well worth the nice place for much cheaper rent. There are ~10 vet students that I know of who live varying distances before and after me on the same bus line and a few people in my class are coming over to the east side next year. Just use google maps to see if the places you're looking at are on the bus line and you'll start to get a good idea of where is/isn't a good place to be. If you want to walk to school there are plenty of places right across from the vet school, but they're generally small and expensive for what you get, especially when they start added extra costs like parking ($$ if you're downtown) and pet fees. If you don't mind bussing it there are plenty of places on both sides of town that will get you to school between 20-40 minutes. I agree that the south is sketchy (anywhere near the beltline). Also, Mary will eventually be sending you guys a list of current vet students who need roommates and are advertising their apartments! You should hear more about that at open house.