Wisconsin c/o 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeamingLight

UW-Madison C/O 2020!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start this thread since the VMCAS application is coming due and a thread hasn't been created. Excited or nervous?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too. Are you In-State?

Nope, anywhere I go I'll be OOS, which is scary money-wise. I chose Wisconsin because they had a girl already go through the program in a wheelchair, so I know they've dealt with the experience and that's a big plus, in my opinion.

I'm OOS applying and definitely both!

Nope, anywhere I go I'll be OOS, which is scary money-wise. I chose Wisconsin because they had a girl already go through the program in a wheelchair, so I know they've dealt with the experience and that's a big plus, in my opinion.
Well, good luck. Hopefully we'll be classmates.

Me too Koala. Crossing my fingers, but with only ~30 OOS seats available, I'm certainly nervous.

I carry my own seat with me. If I get accepted I'll petition that my spot doesn't count towards the 30. Only fair.
wheelchair.gif

Reactions: 7 users
Good luck to all of the class of 2020 applicants! I'm an OOS member of the class of 2019 (from Chicago), so I'd be happy to answer any questions about the application process. I don't know much about the university, classes or the city yet, but now that I'm in Madison and orientation starts next week I should be figuring all that stuff out soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to all of the class of 2020 applicants! I'm an OOS member of the class of 2019 (from Chicago), so I'd be happy to answer any questions about the application process. I don't know much about the university, classes or the city yet, but now that I'm in Madison and orientation starts next week I should be figuring all that stuff out soon!

Awesome! Have fun and study hard. You're about to start down a cool path, hope to join you soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck with the start of classes. My SO started med school at UW-Madison this week. She's already feeling the swing of school.

I had a question about residency for Wisconsin.

I thought that this statute 36.27 (2) (cm) in this link was really interesting: http://registrar.wisc.edu/wisconsin_statute.htm

I just currently moved to Madison for work and I think I fulfill the criteria in that statue (I accepted the job offer months before I moved here and I just received my secondary application to Wisconsin).

Would I be able to apply as a Wisconsin resident to UW-Madison? I'll be paying state taxes and whatnot this year.

Wisconsin is my second choice (only financial reasons!), and first choice OOS school. I am nervous and excited especially since I know the odds are not in my favor as an OOS applicant. All I can do is wait. Goodluck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a question about residency for Wisconsin.

I thought that this statute 36.27 (2) (cm) in this link was really interesting: http://registrar.wisc.edu/wisconsin_statute.htm

I just currently moved to Madison for work and I think I fulfill the criteria in that statue (I accepted the job offer months before I moved here and I just received my secondary application to Wisconsin).

Would I be able to apply as a Wisconsin resident to UW-Madison? I'll be paying state taxes and whatnot this year.

I think NOT, but contact the school for specifics. It is my understanding you would apply OOS (because you're not a resident at the time of application), but you can petition for IS tuition once you obtain residency status. That was the vibe I got from the office of academic affairs when I visited. Again, don't take my word for it until you speak to the UW-Madison registrar.

Also… you received your supplemental? I thought they were sending those at the end of October/early November? I suppose the whole application process has been moved forward a month this year.

I thought we were getting them in November too. I definitely don't have one yet!

Good luck to everyone applying! We just had our first day today, and *squee* it's amazing and I'm so happy with my choice! The faculty and staff are beyond friendly. :)

If anyone has any questions, I'm still new at UW but I'd be more than happy to help out!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm an OS applicant from the. Chicago area. This is actually my first choice school, so I'm crossing my fingers and toes!!

Good luck everyone!

Too quiet here. Did all go well for everyone? Anybody know what the supplemental is like?

Too quiet here. Did all go well for everyone? Anybody know what the supplemental is like?

I'd like to know as well. Not the best timing smack-dab in the middle of the semester, but at least they don't set the due date during finals week.

From speaking with the OAA at the UW SVM earlier this year, I am under the impression that it will be the same as last year (I'm not sure if the prompts will look identical, but the content should be the same). I believe there is one essay about diversity, one about updated experiences (i.e. things you continue to expand on during this interim period), and one other I can't remember. I am sure you can find that information in the 2019 thread. Don't worry about it... you have plenty of time.

So only because looking at last year's thread some people forgot:
Did everybody fill out the RADF on time?

I'm reading last year's thread and getting totally excited! (And I've got a lot going on right now so I use SDN to procrastinate...)

I've copied and pasted the prompt for Wisconsin's diversity essay last year, although it may change this year. I received the link for this application via email on 11/18/14, but again, admissions may send it out earlier this year since the VMCAS deadline was moved up. Just something to start thinking about earlier rather than later since the deadline will probably fall around final exam time. Good luck to everyone! :)

Contributions to Breadth/Diversity

The University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine values the educational benefits derived from a diverse student population. As such, our school is committed to creating a community of learners that is broad and diverse in its composition.

In support of that effort, we seek to understand what elements in your background, experiences, personal achievements and career interests would bring breadth to a class of veterinary medical students and the veterinary medical profession. For example, you may consider addressing topics including (but not limited to) long-term social/financial disadvantage, first generation college student status, unique accomplishments/talents, diverse cultural or personal attributes, special training or education, unique work/volunteer experiences, geographical diversity, and/or experience in agriculture, research, industry, or business.

I've copied and pasted the prompt for Wisconsin's diversity essay last year, although it may change this year. I received the link for this application via email on 11/18/14, but again, admissions may send it out earlier this year since the VMCAS deadline was moved up. Just something to start thinking about earlier rather than later since the deadline will probably fall around final exam time. Good luck to everyone! :)

Contributions to Breadth/Diversity

The University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine values the educational benefits derived from a diverse student population. As such, our school is committed to creating a community of learners that is broad and diverse in its composition.

In support of that effort, we seek to understand what elements in your background, experiences, personal achievements and career interests would bring breadth to a class of veterinary medical students and the veterinary medical profession. For example, you may consider addressing topics including (but not limited to) long-term social/financial disadvantage, first generation college student status, unique accomplishments/talents, diverse cultural or personal attributes, special training or education, unique work/volunteer experiences, geographical diversity, and/or experience in agriculture, research, industry, or business.
Is there a character limit? Because I for one could touch on all of those. I tend to need to choose (or guess) what will appeal to the school.

There was a character limit, but I don't remember the exact number. My essay was 3,485 characters with spaces and I remember I had to do some trimming down, so maybe it was a 3,500 character max?

going to be hardcore stalking this thread throughout the application process. I would love to go to Wisconsin ugh

Looks like the supplementals went out last year on the 18th. Not much longer, now!

Just send them out already. I want to be done.

Just received the supplemental email. Get excited! :)

So there are no interviews, a secondary app which goes out to everyone? Time to spend forever on an essay, I guess.

To be completely honest, I really don't know how much I could/should add to these essays. I've completed a few more shadowing hours, but nothing new. I haven't gained any new preparatory experiences since submitting my app (just finishing my last semester). I could write another eloquent piece talking about how being in a wheelchair and disabled makes me diverse and blah blah blah, but I already did all that in my personal statement. I feel like it'd simply be rehashing the same information in a different essay.

Don't know exactly what to do here.

I know it doesn't mean much, but seeing the email is exciting. :)

Does anyone know if everyone gets a supplemental, or do they go through the apps and exclude disqualifying ones (don't meet the GPA requirement, etc.)?

Does anyone know if everyone gets a supplemental, or do they go through the apps and exclude disqualifying ones (don't meet the GPA requirement, etc.)?

No idea, but I'm guessing they likely contacted those with missing information.

So if I have not done additional shadowing, but have set up future shadowing for winter break, is this something I should mention? Is it a major problem that I have not been actively shadowing during the semester?

Got my supply email at 11:07am. Now I just need to find time to sit and work on it.

Anybody who applied last year: how is it different? Just a longer time frame? I didn't apply to Wisconsin last year so I have no idea...

To be completely honest, I really don't know how much I could/should add to these essays. I've completed a few more shadowing hours, but nothing new. I haven't gained any new preparatory experiences since submitting my app (just finishing my last semester). I could write another eloquent piece talking about how being in a wheelchair and disabled makes me diverse and blah blah blah, but I already did all that in my personal statement. I feel like it'd simply be rehashing the same information in a different essay.

Don't know exactly what to do here.

I feel the same way.... everything I really wanted to say was in my personal statement and I'm too busy will all of the volunteer activities that I already do to add NEW ones into the mix!

I'm pretty sure everyone gets the supplemental, but I could be wrong.

So if I have not done additional shadowing, but have set up future shadowing for winter break, is this something I should mention? Is it a major problem that I have not been actively shadowing during the semester?

I'm probably going to be mentioning a volunteer activity that I plan on doing once this semester is over on a regular basis/ an activity that I plan on doing over winter break as well.

Yes I received the email as well. I want to register, but I have so much work I need to finish right now and I've been up since 3:45 am... It sounds like the essays are in the same vein as I mentioned earlier in the thread. @TotesMahGoats I am 98% sure that EVERYONE who submitted their VMCAS application to UW will receive a supplemental application.

Don't worry too much about it. From what I have read from last years thread, many applicants didn't have ANYTHING to add to the 'What I have been doing veterinary/animal related since submitting the VMCAS application' and it looks like many of them were admitted anyway. I know that when I spoke to the Office of Academic Affairs in the summer, she mentioned that I had until December to get more experience with large animals. What I gleaned from that statement was to keep working with animals in diverse settings. Personally, I would not talk about what I will be doing some time in the future (i.e. this coming Februrary), I would only mention things you are currently involved in that is not reflected in your VMCAS application (or many it was in your VMCAS but at low hour numbers). If you have any doubts, you can always call the office of academic affairs, they are nice and helpful!

I'm going to pretend they only gave the supplemental to their favorites, so it feels like there is SOME payoff for all our hard work... :p

Can't wait to figure out how being a slightly older middle class white woman fits into 'diverse,' though. I like big goats, and I cannot lie?

Reactions: 2 users
...I like big goats and I cannot lie!
Dem udders are a milk supply.
That when the goat weighs in with pinions hung for days,
By her bell shaped gaze,
you think "nubian!"
Wanna tug on her teats,
Cause you know that bags got crease,
Deep in the udder she's forming,
It's milk that won't stop warming,
Oh goatie I want to milk you,
And cheese the mixture,
My classmates they tried to warn me,
But that goat was luckily dehorn-y!
Oh goat of spotted sides!
You say you wanna get AI'd?
Well lube me, lube me,
Cause the rod goes cervix deep,
I've seen them dancin'
To hell with romancin',
She's bred, Fred!
Gonna have twins in the shed!
I'm tired of old farmers, please!
Saying natural service is the king,
Take the genetics you planned and show it well,
Goatie's gotta milk and sell!
So milkers! (Yeah!) Milkers! (Yeah!)
Is your goat now gonna butt? (Hell yeah!)
Tell 'em to milk it! (Milk it!) Milk it! (Milk it!)
Milk that great big goat!
Goatie got goals!

(A bit rough, but spur of the moment waking in the middle of the night...I still approve... maybe not by morning...)

Reactions: 3 users
A la Jim Gaffigan:

Weird repro people don't know when too much is too much!
Think it's fine to talk about AI techniques versus goat sex?
Don't they understand other people will see this?
Tsk,Tsk, tsk ahhhhh.... no!

Ok, so being awake in the middle of the night is bad (um-kay?)
And looking at the supplemental for the first time in the middle of the night is bad (um-kay?)
Starting working on it because now your stressed out and not sure you have the motivation anymore and all the other terrible things that go through your head when you look at something like this in the middle of the night... Now again: that's bad. (Um- kay?)

So to review: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (It will be okay... um-kay?)

Please. Both of you, be in my class.