Wisconsin Schools OOS Friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in the past I've been told that the University of Wisconsin SOM is more OOS friendly than the Medical College of Wisconsin. Seemed fine to me, since I didn't know anything about either school. However, after looking more closely at the MSAR for both schools, I realized that UWSOM is public, while MCW is private.

The idea that a private school would be less OOS friendly than a public school is new to me and frankly doesn't make much sense..

Was I misinformed about UWSOM being more OOS friendly than MCW?

Members don't see this ad.

yes that is sooooooo wrong. other way around.

Yes, you're misinformed. MCW is private and extremely OOS friendly. It's nicknamed UC-Wisconsin for a reason. They give a small tuition discount to Wisconsin residents, but it doesn't boost their admission chances.

UW is the prototypical state school which gives significant preference to IS.

I'm not sure where you would hear what you heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok good to know. Glad I double checked all my schools before the 5th! Going to remove UWSOM and add MCW.

I heard they are planning to open 2 new medical schools in Wisconsin within this decade. google it.
nah I heard they nixed that plan. more cost effective to just make the 2 class sizes at MCW and UW bigger. though i'm not sure when that's gonna happen. we were told at the interview at UW that the size of the lecture halls (seats about 180 max) is what determines their class size there. not sure about MCW though.